Do people still use CB anymore? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bartering McGuire Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 06-06-2018 08:00 AM
STRAITS RED chapters 32-34 NW GUY Books, Movies & Stories 2 04-29-2018 08:46 PM
New political theroy Joseph51494 Controversial News and Alternative Politics 16 01-05-2017 07:01 AM

Old 03-01-2019, 06:22 AM
Bad Dog

Thanked 15,138 Times in 3,248 Posts

Advertise Here

I take a CB and magnetic antenna on road trips, just in case I run into a problem where there is no cell phone signal.

Lots of truckers still use them. Truckers are probably very pleased that non-truckers are not using CB much anymore. In the CB heydays of the 1960s and 1970s, the channels were really cluttered with trash talk.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HomeDefense For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2019, 02:42 PM
styer sniper

we have a cb system in each vehicle and a couple handhelds for the atvs and bags. the misses truck has a magnetic antenna with a cb that plugs into a lighter port. mine is hid under the back seat in my daily and an antenna in the toolbox. is use it in the winter when we hunt with dogs and my work truck has a cb above rearview and dual antennas. it has a pa horn on it too which is fun especially when we have the rubber chicken in the truck. I have a big bas station in my office at work just havnt finished running the antenna.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tomclay98 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2019, 07:43 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,395 Times in 2,886 Posts

So yesterday around 2 pm PST I went on 38 lsb to do some checks on my gear and the guy a few miles down the road (a Ham who monitors 38 lsb religiously) happened to be on and we got talking how skip on the 11 meter band has pretty much died due to solar minimum. Almost on cue, I started hearing 'A Big Station from the Big Island'.

Wound up talking to 155 from HI (NE Corner of the Big Island) for about 10 minutes and then it went dead again for the rest of the day.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to swen_out_west For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2019, 08:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,395 Times in 2,886 Posts

One thing about cb's. The band has gotten pretty picky. A lot of people won't even come back to a "Mud Duck". Not to mention the equipment is very susceptible to interference, ie: vehicle noise, power line noise, or simply an unregulated power supply nearby your station.

So simply plugging one in when you need it might not be the best plan. I can't count how many people in the desert have tried slapping a WalMart special mag antenna (which btw, isn't even worth the $16.95 it costs) with no knowledge how to even tune an antenna onto their swap coolers (while it's running) using any old cb they picked up at a garage sale with no alignments or even system checks and then complain that nobody is on CB anymore. Even though there probably was some driver on the highway that tried to return the radio check. Thus, as hinted to in my previous post, I do regular checks on my gear so that it's ready to go 24/7 and have worked on making it a fairly decent receiving station.

Also, I hear all the time how people come on and since nobody happens to be on at that exact second they then turn it off and don't go back on. It's not like the 80's or even 10 years ago. I picked up a bearcat 980 SSB that scans and hear stuff all the time. A lot of local drivers tend to hide on non common channels. If anything listening to the Spanish speaking drivers bantering back and forth can be funny at times.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to swen_out_west For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2019, 11:18 AM
Generator Wrangler

Thanked 5,889 Times in 2,018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt 1 View Post
I run a powerful CB in my pickup. It's useful for finding out traffic conditions ect but not nearly as many truckers have their ears on now days so you often won't get a response but when things come to a stop many drivers turn their radios on and you can get some idea about what the holdup is.

Channel 19 for most things and is known as "Sesame Street" . Channel 6 for people playing around with overly modulated and echoed yabbering. Other channels are used for private conversations but in some areas out west channels 17 and 21 are sometimes used for general conversations.
I wonder if they have moved to 10 meter or some frequency just about or below the 11 meter CB band? Presumably they must still be communicating with each other for information on road conditions, weigh stations, etc.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:28 AM

Here in western WV, CB radios are widely used. We're in the heart of the oil and gas industry (outside of TX, that is), and everyone has a radio in their truck.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1RiverRat For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2019, 06:09 PM

Was thinking on this today, and thought I'd clarify that the cb users here are NOT using the high/low band, just the regular 40-channel models. For antennas, none are lower than a Wilson 1000, with the usual being a Wilson 5000. Most hunters (bear/coon) have switched to ham radio.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:31 PM
Basket of deplorables

Thanked 1,615 Times in 434 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
The 4x4 club I'm in requires one. We use them on every club run for commo. You don't need a lot of range when you're just talking a few hundred yds from vehicle to vehicle, but you can almost always get the few miles back to camp as well unless you are down in a low area with a mountain between you.
That was just about SOP here as well. Somewhere about 10 years ago guys started getting into the 2M radios. Once they got their tickets they began seeing the overall great benefits. When I'm in the mountains the CB's just are horrible. When I'm in the desert they fare a whole lot better for obvious reasons. It's rare I see a CB on anymore but a few run them still and seem happy with them.
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2019, 08:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,799 Times in 7,088 Posts

Best I could tell last time I hooked up my 2 meter no one uses it anymore.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:28 PM
Basket of deplorables

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoTree View Post
Best I could tell last time I hooked up my 2 meter no one uses it anymore.
Are you on local repeaters or trying to make a contact on simplex 146.520? I have many repeaters around here where I live. I can talk on regularly with people just about anytime. Many are linked interstate or once a week they link them as a drill. We have a really nice disaster network so you can get real time info during a storm etc. I know some areas have extremely limited 2m networks and repeaters so it probably varies depending upon your area.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,799 Times in 7,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Are you on local repeaters or trying to make a contact on simplex 146.520? I have many repeaters around here where I live. I can talk on regularly with people just about anytime. Many are linked interstate or once a week they link them as a drill. We have a really nice disaster network so you can get real time info during a storm etc. I know some areas have extremely limited 2m networks and repeaters so it probably varies depending upon your area.
I tried repeaters but maybe not on the correct tone?
Old 03-06-2019, 06:27 AM
Basket of deplorables

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoTree View Post
I tried repeaters but maybe not on the correct tone?

If you don't have it get the Repeater Book application for your phone. You can also get it for your computer. It will show you all the local repeaters and have listed the +/- tone etc for you to make sure you get them programmed. I have a lot of confidence in their information as I recently went on a trip that lasted three different states involving several thousand miles. I looked my planned route plus some alternate routes and was able to program in and name the repeaters for easy access for the entire trip. They all worked very well as I would at the very least check to see if I was hitting the repeater in their coverage areas. My thinking was much of those areas cell phone coverage was spotty much of the time so it was something of an insurance policy and a fun experiment. Another brief thought is checking your antenna. If you are using a HT they often do not come with the best antenna. You can get an upgraded rubber duck (HT Antenna) fairly inexpensively that will increase what the HT can see. Get out and have some fun with this as you will probably learn a lot and have some fun with it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post: