App to organize PDFs - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Review: FishAngler is More Than a Fishing App AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 08-06-2018 02:00 PM
losing weight revisited - low carb + mobile app txprep General Discussion 15 08-03-2018 07:49 PM
Testing an Offline Mapping & Navigations App TrailBadger The Tech Zone 8 12-28-2017 09:19 AM
Topo Map App Recommendations Outlier Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 12 12-21-2016 08:48 PM

Old 01-19-2019, 10:28 PM
The Hawks Nest

Thanked 22,479 Times in 8,127 Posts
Default App to organize PDFs

Advertise Here

I have about a thousand books that are in PDF format. I am looking for an app for my android that works kind of like the Kindle App but isnt the Kindle App. I want to be able to load my books to the app and then when I open up one of the books the app will keep track of where I am in the book. Currently, if I open one of the books up I have to remember where I am.

Any thoughts?

"A terrorist is only as strong as the fear he creates."

"Things you own end up owning you"
- Tyler Durban
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2019, 12:58 AM
6 Boys and 13 Hands

Thanked 27,077 Times in 6,832 Posts

WPS Office will do what you want. WPS Office will start where you left off in the document and offers the option for a bookmark plus a GoTo page function. It also will accommodate xls, doc, ppt, text and other and I'm not sure what other is. lol

Oh and cloud storage.
The Following User Says Thank You to Creek Walker For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 01:28 AM
One day at a time ...

Thanked 2,888 Times in 1,127 Posts

Many of the ebook readers will also open PDF files. Personally I use MoonReader Pro. It handles PDFs well. It lets you organize books by tags along with the usual title and author.

Instead of using PDFs, you may want to consider using Calibre to convert them to ePub. It retains the formatting well but the file size will be significantly smaller - as much as 90% smaller depending on the contents. Navigation will be quicker as well since PDFs take, relatively, a great deal of processing power to display.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TomArnold For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2019, 04:07 PM
Trapper

Moon+ reader will do what you want.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:15 PM
Bad Dog

Thanked 15,174 Times in 3,258 Posts

I second the idea to use Calibre to convert the files. It's a great tool and it's free.

I've converted a lot of ebook files to Kindle formats.

I don't use an Android device, so I cannot help you with that. Everything made by Google is spyware.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:33 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,065 Times in 600 Posts

another vote for moon reader pro
Old 01-24-2019, 07:09 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,481 Times in 5,591 Posts

I've used Moon Reader and I agree that it's a good app. I think Aldiko might be better though.

I disagree about Calibre conversion of PDFs making a good ebook. SOMETIMES it does, but most of the time it is really messed up. For example, the headers and footers (with page numbers) will be mashed in with the text seemingly randomly. And that is assuming the PDF has actual text in it, and many don't because they are scans of pages so they are more like images of text. Those can't be converted at all.

However, it's worth a try.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarco2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2019, 03:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,982 Times in 3,430 Posts

I really like Calibre. It's probably the best e-book library management software out there.

I have over 1000 unique books in it, and close to 2,500 if you include duplicates. And this is where I think Calibre really shines. I can have a book in mobi, epub, and pdf format. Initially, they all have their own entries (and Calibre even tells you when you add them that they are duplicates, giving you the option to add them or not). Then I select all three entries, press M (for Merge) and it combines them all into one listing - but then I can choose to open the mobi, epub, or pdf version. Do note that if you have more than one of the same kind (i.e., 2 pdf files) one will be deleted. But it will warn you before it does.

To add books, I just open up Windows Explorer, find the files, and drop them in. What's neat is that Calibre makes it's own copy of them in it's library folder. Each listing will have it's own directory, with an image file, a metadata file, and then each of the book files (mobi, epub, etc.).

Most of the time it's able to get the metadata right from the file, though sometimes it's not quite correct or you want to tweak it a bit, and that's easy to do.

You can add as much or as little info as you want - Title, Author, Series, publisher, date of publication, category, etc. I have mine sorted by dewey decimal system and so I use that as the category.

I also like how it will display a cover for each book - using either the image that came with the book file, one from the internet, or just a plain text one it will make up on the fly.

So far I have 1087 titles (many with 2-3 formats) and the software works just fine - there's no lag browsing or searching.

Additionally, you can make separate libraries and load them separately. Say you wanted one for your fiction books and another for non fiction. It will also allow you to export/import a library, so if you put in a lot of time curating it and making sure everything is just so, you won't loose your work, and you can easily pass it on to someone else.

Now I have not used Calibre to convert any files to another format, so I can't say one way or the other on that.

Additionally, you can use it for nearly any other kind of file. I like to do RPG's (role playing games) and I have 100 or so PDFs for that. I also have several jpg images (maps, etc). I can include the images right with the pdf's, and label them and catalog them just as if they were a pdf. Very useful for keeping track of them.

The tag feature is neat. I use it for the Dewey Decimal System for my books. What's interesting though is that since it's digital, I can give it multiple numbers rather than having to choose only one when it's a book that could easily fit in multiple spots (for example, if it was a book on recipes for cooking in the wilderness, I could put it both with books on hiking/camping as well as with cookbooks). It would also allow me to tag a biography of a survivor of the Holocaust in the WWII history section, in the German history section, and as a biography. Much easier than having to pick one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dealfinder500 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2019, 05:20 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,284 Times in 488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
...Any thoughts?
What app are you using to read your pdfs under Android? Does not Adobe support android? I know they quit with generic linux some time ago.
I use a bat file under windows to add a time stamp with extreme granularity to virtually everything I do under Win 10. Comments in a pdf are searchable by date and you can probably do the same in Reader in android.
It wouldn't automatically open to the last page you read but I think all you would have to do is click on the last 'comment' in Reader. Example under Win 10 no conversions or extraneous apps necessary:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190713_1700_PDF_Comments.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	289360