Survivalist Forum banner

Single farmer with a farm--and the dilemma of being alone in a SHTF

12K views 135 replies 64 participants last post by  merlinfire 
#1 ·
I'm a farmer with 240 acres. My own fully operational farm, where I raise corn, soybeans, oats. Also have some cattle and hogs. Have done chickens off and on over the years.

I've been prepping rather intensively over the last 10 years. Now have about a years-worth of long term storage food in reserve. Have invested in a solar power system and a small windmill generator. Started a fairly extensive orchard about 6 years ago that is coming along fine.

Also have an adequate "home arsenal", and even got my ham radio license and radio.

Ok---so that all sounds great. But here's the problem:

I'm 64 and single. I guess because of that I don't have a large "social network" of friends, also because I'm a rather stick-to-myself sort of guy. So where does that leave me in a SHTF? Sitting out here on my farm all by myself? Trying to defend my spread?

I live in an area that isn't too close to any really large metro areas (the nearest is about 90 miles away). Although it's definitely "farm country" most of the farming around here is large mega farms. With a few yuppie McMansions sprinkled in.

I've sorta thought that the only option for someone like me, would be to hookup and invite-in a couple of reliable people. Maybe a decent family, to help with the enormously increased workload of running a farm in a WROL situation, as well as helping to defend the place. Because I won't be able to do it myself.

So---how does one go about this? Do I wait until a SHTF, and a nice-looking family knocks on my door, asking for help, and I invite them in for a trade?

Do I put an ad in the paper: "Farmer looking for potential live-in help for a potential SHTF/WROL/TEOTWAWKI situation. Please submit applications to...."?

Maybe there's no way to do this pre-SHTF, and still maintain OPSEC. So do I just hope and pray that by some luck I get some decent people to help me out in a SHTF?

Advice? Opinions?

See less See more
#3 ·
I'd start by getting more involved with your community. At least get to know your neighbors.

I'd prep as best I could for emergencies that aren't WROL.

The newspaper ad might not be a bad idea. I wouldn't word it quite that way but I'm sure you could find a young family who would love free room in exchange for working on the farm. That way you have a bit of control over who lives there rather than the luck of the draw.

#4 ·
not sure what your best course of action is, but I know what action you really should not take. inviting an outside family into your lair may turn into a nightmare. new family will be acting like they are your best friends right up to the point where they claim your property now belongs to them...and then boot you out.
maybe go to a local church and speak to the pastor about your situation, perhaps one of his flock has lost her husband due to illness or accident and is in the same situation you are.

#5 ·
No kids that would use you as their BOL? Go to church where you can talk/meet people? A dog can help guard the house or at least alert you... guinea birds too.

Honestly, you have to get past being the reclusive introvert for a bit, or just keep on doing what you're doing. Single now, single after shtf... all the same to you right? If you want to meet people, you have to make yourself available for meeting. The only other option is to get on a dating sight and be very honest in who you are and what you are looking for... no exceptions.

#6 ·
You might consider helping out at the local FFA organizations too. Maybe find a student to mentor. You mention you have cattle and hogs. There might be some folks you could meet through either your cattle organizations or hog organizations. Even your local Farm Bureau may have some ideas if you mention you're looking for a little help. Don't tell them right away all your plans though.

Church is another good suggestion but beware-- if the ladies find out you're single, you may get a LOT of attention.

#7 ·
I was thinking if your a good hour & 1/2 for a major city, besides the church & volunteering ideas, is there a gun group or place folks get together to practice/have competitions near you? Even a weekly Farmer’s Market you could bring something to sell? Local groups holding a bbq or breakfast maybe?

Or just look around & casually meet folks might be a safe way to keep your privacy until you can get people while giving you some idea of who your neighbors (outside of the McMansion set) are?

#9 ·
...how does one go about this? Do I wait until a SHTF, and a nice-looking family knocks on my door, asking for help, and I invite them in for a trade?

Do I put an ad in the paper: ///do I just hope and pray that by some luck I get some decent people to help me out...
a) Would Definitely Not suggest just 'leaving this to luck' / chance that you'll find Just that right-combo of benevolence / Useful skill-sets / willingness to defend the Farm & 'coalition' to the death, if necessary - to whomever 'rolls up' after things go south.. And, with a spread That Large, you'd likely be dealing with LOTS of such-like 'please help us's, not just one / two... If you're struggling with 'bandwidth', Now, adding in 'needys' seems a recipe for certain failure..

b) Paper-ad might be a good route - But, First, here's what - We - have been thinking of doing, along the same lines:

- Come up with a Set of very Clearly Defined 'desired qualities' of the people you would-Want there.. This, ranging from Skill sets (in Several 'categories', from Farming, to Med-skills, to Camp / Self-Defense knowledge, etc, etc); God-fearing (read: morally-principled, even if not necessarily 'church goers'..) or Not?; Degree of Existing Self-sufficiency (are these people 'preppers', themselves.. or totally Clueless?) and So on... And make that Set part of the prerequisites for them to even 'Apply'...

- Second, you'll have to, at Some point (..and Obviously on 'neutral ground', ie: some very public place, no where's Near your Farm..) 'meet and greet', to suss out the 'indiscernible' aspects of Applicants - Temperment; ability to Communicate ideas / plans / 'How would You react in Situation X' with you; general 'vibe' you get from meeting them; Detailed discussions of their Skill-sets / Experience with such (..and see if your 'BS Meter' goes off ;) etc..

...And make Sure this is done with the 'Buddy System' (ie: you let Family / Friends (or, if-none..) Sheriff Joe, etc.. Know that you Have this meeting, With-whom (Names, contact #s, etc), and What the 'itinerary is' - When you expect to be back Home / call your 'buddy', to let them know All is clear.. So, If not (ie: you don't Call by X-hour, etc..) to Immediately sound an alarm / instigate investigation, as-to your well-being.. Heck, you could even clandestinely 'live-stream' the meeting, to your buddy, even if Just audio, etc..

..(I'm sure you've already Thought of stuff like this, just voicing Opins / thoughts.. :cool:

- Third.. What are their Finances like? Are - They - self-sufficient, at Least in terms of - IF - you set up some sort of 'barter system' (ie: Live / Work on the Farm / Help fortify it into a hardened 'retreat', In-exchange for X (whether that be Meat / Corn / Fruit / Rabbits / Eggs, etc ,etc..) Or, will it all be for some Cash, etc.. Even If you Do want to do 'pure barter', like this.. Will they have Debts / other issues following them? How 'stable' will these people be, long term, Themselves, in that regard? Last Thing you want, imo, are 'Refugees', from (whatever..) situation they're 'running' from..

..No, you want people / a Family, for example, like Us :D: who Have a Clue, Have a year's-worth of Self-Sustinence / Defenses, Can simply 'move to an open field' / set-up a Defensible Camp, and Survive, even thru Winter, and can Offer skills not commonly found (EMT-skills, for example.. ;) and can help 'offset', perhaps, areas in which you Might be needing more strength..

..Think if it like a (literal..) puzzle piece - Notches and Grooves - what 'fits', what Doesn't.. Define that those 'notches / grooves' Are, call out for them, TEST - Re-Test.. and then Test Again.. and Then see if there's a 'fit'.. :cool:

..And I'd Bet this 'community' of SB would be a Great place to start your search... :thumb:

jd

#10 ·
Without any extended family...inwoudl suggest a church. There needs to be something else in common, something else that binds the community other than just survival. Other wise they might only be in it as long as you are useful. If survival is the only reason they are with you at the farm, your removal becomes an option if they can do so and survive.

#12 ·
providing a BOL in return for help

What I have tentatively thought was providing a BOL for a family. People who have the similar prepper mindset and associated world-view that I have.

The understanding that---in a SHTF or WROL--- my farm would be their BOL. In return they would help me with protection and work.

I realize immediately that such person(s) would have to be VERY well vetted beforehand. People that I would have to have an absolutely rock-solid relationship with. So that I knew they would be 100% trustworthy and in return a solid understanding of what each party expects of each other.

As I mentioned in my OP---most of the farms around here are corporate farms. There are a few small independent like myself scattered about. The remainder of the neighbors are urban Yuppie-types in McMansions. Quite a few only come out to their homes here on weekends and holidays.

These are the ones that I especially feel would turn predatory---fast.

One thing's for sure---in a real SHTF, I can't "hold the fort" by myself. And rural farms like mine would be viewed as a virtual Fort Knox of supplies by marauders. Attracting "zombies" like honey attracts flies.

As I've been very independent my whole life (being a bachelor, I've always had to do things for myself), I've not really established close relationships with people.

Finding someone or somebody to trust to bring into my home--especially in a SHTF situation--may be nearly impossible.

I've been wondering how to connect with other preppers---perhaps finding or even starting some local group.

Thoughts? Ideas?

#14 ·
Is there a land grant university with an Ag program nearby.
Offer internships through the college ( I would stay away the liberal arts side of campus ) that way you get free labor the kids get college credits and gain knowledge.
And you can winnow the wheat from the chaf and make offers to those you are comfortable with.

I did my internship in a secure facility and there were places I didn't get to go . So there's no reason for them to know about the bunker till ....(bunker till ��) you are comfortable with them.

#15 ·
Not knowing the logistics of your area, some suggestions might be more useful than others. It seems to me that more than the specific skills that anyone might bring to your situation, you need to find people of character, with the ethics and maturity of quality people. At least that way you don't jeopardize the overall security you presently enjoy. Then look for the skills these people have. Now, how to find them...

Talk to people you trust, or are recommended by those you trust. A local minister or priest. Working class like volunteer firefighters, paramedics, police. Do you know any longtime business owners in your nearby towns? What about mechanics and fabricators (carpenters, welders, etc.)? But stick with the check list with integrity/ethics first. If you don't have that, you have nothing but question marks.

One big question is whether you have any family of your own. You're mid-60's. On the farm alone. And it's a really good sized farm too. What's your plan in the event you get injured and laid up? Or just injured and unable to even get back to your house? Do you just plan on dying in the fields? What is your plan, should S not HTF in your lifetime, for your farm? Who gets the farm? You might look in that direction for the core you wish to have for your SHTF plan.

#16 ·
IF/When that time comes you will have enough suitors seeking YOU out needing you more than you need them. Pick an choose as you please, there is nothing 100% what you're looking for available out there, best not grab at it and put the gramp's cruise control on.

All i can say is have the sac to be able to say no to some.

#17 ·
You could place an ad in the classified section of a magazine such as "New Pioneer." (New Pioneer is more "Prepper friendly", and they do NOT have their panties in a bunch about firearms, like some others do.) You could say something along the order of "Wanted: Young couple or family interested in learning to farm."

From there, you can list your "requirements, " as well as the terms of the apprenticeship (or whatever you want to call it) contact information (I would suggest getting a P.O. box for that) etc.

#19 ·
I'd imagine the biggest problem is finding the right person/persons/family and what to do with them once found. When and where to take up residence for example. If SHTF never comes, do you really want someone sharing your home? Or do you partition off an acre and have them build something? Or do you wait and pray they show up? Given that this would benefit you mostly, from your perspective, what supplies and experience do you insist upon? And since they'd have skin in the game, what incentives would you have to give? Kind of an example, I divorced in 1997 and for about 10 years looked for a 2nd wife
and failed miserably. So my opinion, seek within your community. Some of us aren't social animals but it's likely to be easier and more efficient vetting close to home.

#21 ·
I've got a hippie buddy.

Lives in his parents attic, but does pretty good with gardening, permaculture, small animals etc.
Wants a farm etc.

I offered him a 5 year lease on 5 acres for $1\year and a handshake on him feeding my rabbits or whatever if I needed to be gone.
Told him I'd provide the materials for a cabin, and partial labor.
Also said I'd probably help fund some projects... Aquaculture etc.

He said no, but I've known him ~15 years, I call him my dirty hippy friend or "gun toting hippy"

He's One of a few of make the offer to.
NOT a decision to make lightly.

Currently I have a list who are invited.
They are invited at my fire in good times and bad. Ones crashing this weekend. Doesn't matter if it's for a party or the end of the world....

#22 ·
Once upon a time, there was a little red hen who lived on a farm . She was friends with a lazy dog , a sleepy cat , and a noisy yellow duck .

One day the little red hen found some seeds on the ground. The little red hen had an idea. She would plant the seeds .

The little red hen asked her friends, "Who will help me plant the seeds ?"

"Not I," barked the lazy dog .
"Not I," purred the sleepy cat .
"Not I," quacked the noisy yellow duck .

"Then I will," said the little red hen . So the little red hen planted the seeds all by herself.

When the seeds had grown, the little red hen asked her friends, "Who will help me cut the wheat ?"

"Then I will," said the little red hen . So the little red hen cut the wheat all by herself.

When all the wheat was cut, the little red hen asked her friends, "Who will help me take the wheat to the mill to be ground into flour ?"

"Then I will," said the little red hen . So the little red hen brought the wheat to the mill all by herself, ground the wheat into flour , and carried the heavy sack of flour back to the farm .

The tired little red hen asked her friends, "Who will help me bake the bread ?"

"Then I will," said the little red hen . So the little red hen baked the bread all by herself.

When the bread was finished, the tired little red hen asked her friends, "Who will help me eat the bread ?"

"I will," barked the lazy dog .
"I will," purred the sleepy cat .
"I will," quacked the noisy yellow duck .

"No!" said the little red hen . "I will." And the little red hen ate the bread all by herself.
from http://www.enchantedlearning.com/stories/fairytale/littleredhen/story/

Although the child story The little Red Hen is about teaching children the virtues of work ethic and personal initiative it also is a cautionary tale about the fact that many are happy to share in the rewards of other's efforts. I would say to the OP to be very careful of who you choose to invite to the farm.

Now would it be great if cheerful hard working people showed up after a disaster that would be appreciative of what you had to offer? Certainly. Heck I am expecting hordes of desperate Super models to camp out on my porch if TEOTWAWKI comes about. But realistically, if you have no family, friends or good neighbors it will be a crap shoot on what you can expect.

Bit of a problem for all of us older solitaires.

#25 ·
Farmers tend to healp out one another. Try to network, make friends.
You could always hit Tinder and see what you come up with.:D:
I would worry more about falling or having some kind of accident and not have someone aorund to help. That would honeslty be a far greater concern than not havign enough hands in the farm when SHTF. For that sort of thing there's companies that offer gadgets with emergency buttons to call for help. You probably have a similar service in your area.
Eidt: Found something you may want to look into.
https://www.amazon.com/Medical-Alert-System-Seniors-MONTHLY/dp/B018DJ428A?th=1 Its an emergency gadget, you keep it around and if something happens you press the button and it sends an auto message to the numbers you provide.

#26 ·
There is a reason the old quote of God, Family, Country exists. There is little hope in keeping your wealth without all three.

In your case you presumably have God and Country. The latter is breaking down. Good people are not having enough kids and the ones that do allow our systems of taxation and public indoctrination currupt their minds.

So that leaves you with God. Earthly wealth has little meaning to God, so pray and carry on for no plan survives first contact with the enemy.

Best luck to you.

#27 ·
One thing that came to mind was ..

This might sound morbid but who gets the farm and such when you pass?

Is that in your will? You do have a will right so that the government doesn't get it! For example we have a trust and our cabin (BOL) is in the trust and the step-daughter is listed as a beneficiary (as will be her future children). After her it would then go to my nephew and his growing family. I've even explicitly listed what firearms go to what person in the will.

If you have extended family like nieces/nephews or the children of your cousins that might be the first place. Yes, some family isn't worth a dang or could be trusted to lift a finger to help but "family" isn't always predicated by blood relations. Are there any younger families that you might forge a friendship with and "adopt"? I wouldn't necessarily lead with the discussion of a will but as others noted having a bond with those working with you in a SHTF scenario goes a long way.

#28 ·
A lotta good advice so far. I'm gonna be a little different.

Do you allow anyone to hunt/fish on your property? You could allow a few folks via lease or just handshake to "lower the deer population a bit" or whatever.

I believe you could learn a lot about a guy/family by allowing them to hunt. Do they obey the law, do they hunt ethically, do they offer to help you or offer you a share of the game they harvest? Do they take care of your property, close gates, report a broken fence, give you a number to call them if you need a hand sometime?

I do not have much money but I would love a private place to hunt (a farm) as I had in my youth and I would love to "play around a bit" on a farm again, helping out, learning the practices, etc. even though I would not be a full-timer. So would my son. I wish we lived near you -- I would try to be at least a small piece of your network.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.