Survivalist Forum banner

Best Way Out of L.A. When The SHTF???

17K views 54 replies 37 participants last post by  Hick Industries 
#1 ·
Hi,

I just joined. My wife and I are more "Preppers" than Survivalists as we plan on bugging in if possible in a SHTF scenario. We are stuck in Los Angeles and wondering if there are other members around L.A. Been seriously prepping for over a year. Interests include: Guns & Ammo, BOB's, Bug Out Vehicles, Food Storage & MRE's., Best way out of city of L.A.? We have an electric scooter/bike with a 40 mile range per charge (it can carry us both & our BOB). Believe our car would be stuck in gridlock. Any ideas?

Best,
James & Kie

#4 ·
I activated "Plan A" and got out of California years ago. The major coastal cities -- SF, LA, SD, SJ, etc. are going to be some of the worst possible places to be stuck if/when the shtf. There just aren't that many routes out of those areas, and imagine what they would look like with the entire population on them, headed for the hills or out of state. And an overcrowded FEMA camp in Nevada, Oregon, or Arizona isn't going to be all that pleasant either. That scooter will only get you a few miles down the road before it stops, leaving you stranded and at the mercy of a mob desperate for something to eat.

Bugging in is only good for as many days as you have preps for. Even then, you may find yourself having to defend against gang bangers and even just some normally law-abiding folks who quickly begin breaking into anything that looks like it might be a source of food, water, guns, etc. I sure wouldn't count on that as a great strategy to protect my family in a situation where civilization has broken down. The average house/apartment just isn't set up for defense against a mob.

If I was still stuck in CA, I'd try to be alert for the first signs of trouble, and try to be among the first ones out of there before the few routes out become parking lots. All it will take will be a few disabled vehicles to effectively shut down the escape routes. Think about the traffic problems that one simple accident causes on I-10 under the best of circumstances, and multiply that by a factor of 10,000 or more.

Better yet, come up with your own "Plan A" and relocate now.

#5 ·
Get a small, fast, motorsailer. Learn to sail. Scout out loacations now between Humboldt Bay California and Coos Bay Oregon. Rig and equip the motorsailer for bugging out of the Marina del Ray area. Once just out of sight of the coast of California, head north. Stop at whichever of the spots you have pre-determined will give you the best chance of making it.

Getting out of LA, and to any place that will support you, is going to be very, very difficult. There will be millions doing the same thing, with many heading east. And those that are east of LA are not going to want Californians encroaching on their very scarce supplies.

Those going north or south will find much the same thing, only heading into other southern California cities that will be hard pressed to take care of their own.

Either Mexico, whose Federales will most likely just shoot you, or northern California and further north, I think, will give you the best chance to actually have a safe place to stage things so you can then go wherever you plan to relocate to permanently. Because the locals probably will not want you where you wind up right after leaving California.

But if you have what you need, and make it clear that you will be moving through, without using any local resources to speak of, they you have a very good chance to get somewhere that you can again take a breather, and make you final plans, just in case they have to change from your original ones.

I would plan on at least three months of consumables, with very good gear suitable for any climate, including extremely cold ones, extremely wet ones, extremely hot ones, extremely dry ones, extremely windy ones, and extremely stagnate ones, and any and all combinations of such.

Be prepared to use fuel to get away from LA, and leave plenty for high speed runs on the trip if needed, and plenty more for maneuvering once you have reached a place you can land. And remember that you might have to check out several, even having checked them out before hand.

Once away from LA and headed north, plan on doing as much by sail as possible to conserve that fuel. If you do have to make a run for it at sea, be sure to have something capable of long range stand off fire to keep pirates or anyone else far enough away that they cannot lay fire onto your craft.

Just my opinion.

#6 ·
I used to live in SoCal (Burbank), but I haven't been in almost ten years.
You list 'mid-City' as your local. Any way you could get your car over to the 2? Go up through the mountains to Wrightwood and Big Pines? Then over to the high desert?

Might be less crowded.

#7 ·
You really only have three viable options:

• The fastest and most efficient way out of LA is by air. Arrangements for aircraft, obviously, would need to be made well in advance;
  • The second most effective and efficient way out of LA is by water. In a boat you would have plenty of company, however, at least initially you would avoid much of the general panic and chaos involving millions of Angelinos suddenly aware of TEOTWAWKI;
  • The third and least desirable way out of LA is by land vehicle. As noted, all streets, alleys, highways, and neighborhoods would likely be quickly gridlocked. Checkpoints and roadblocks will go up rapidly. Surface transportation will be slow, with numerous perils from groups able to delay, interfere with, or deny your passage. Your objectives would include being able to traverse difficult terrain, more rapidly than individuals on foot. A dirt bike capable of off-road trails would seem to offer the fastest, most effective means of evacuating out of all the land options generally available.

Rail and subway don't seem like very viable options. Rails are too easily blocked. On foot offers a wide range of routes, including underground utility service tunnels, but is too slow and you'd be easily confronted by well-armed adversaries.

The biggest challenge to getting out of LA is simply the distance you'd need to traverse over land, by one means or another. Anyone who has ever flown into LAX airport will remember that you seem to fly over LA for about an hour or longer - miles and miles and miles of suburbs, the Valley, surrounding an urban built up area that itself goes on for miles and miles. All that distance is inhabited by millions and millions and millions of people.

The idea that you're likely to get out of that region on land, unscathed by all those panicked millions, via routes that transcend all the road blocks, accidents, gridlock, and panic which will engulf the entire population is a concept close to magical thinking.

"The best way to avoid an emergency is to not be there when one happens". Unless you're already out of LA when the event occurs, your chances of getting out over land - traversing all those miles between the downtown urban area and the outskirts of the suburbs - would appear to be slim. In any event, being able to leave *immediately* would offer at least limited benefit.

Just my opinion.

#8 ·
There is no planning to get out of LA with 20 million people thinking the same thing. I live south of LA, but spent a lot of years on street and dirt bikes in the surrounding mountains. Every dirt road, jeep trail, horse path, hiking trail will be jammed up. Once you get over the mountains, still a long, long way to go before you get away from the desperate crowds, gas shortages, full hotels, empty stores.

Sail boat still has pirates to worry about, better plan to live on board for a year or so. Sailing north against the wind will be slow going, wind conditions might make it better to head to South America. Helicopter probably won't work, not enough range or fuel.

Maybe bug in for a month to let the roads clear and then a diesel pick up with all the fuel it could carry.

#9 ·
If i was going to bug in inside or near someplace like la. That means defense for at least 30-60 days. I would go with shotguns and pistols,preferably the same gauge 12 or 20 pump for you and semi-auto youth model for her and 357/38 revolver caliber and 2 bolt action long guns with scopes same caliber 223 or 243 as well. Not knowing anything about ya'll situation or experience. And at least that 30-60 days worth of food and water. Jmho

#11 ·
Frankly, I've read a lot of worthless advice given to this man. Buy a sailboat when you have no idea how far he is from the ocean or the cost of one? Move out? How about they can't for what ever reasons. The good advice is from those on how to prepare for bugging in as bugging out is their LAST option.

You said you & wife could ride your electric scooter/bike for 40 miles along with your bobs. Have you actually done this and if so, what route did you take? The back city streets and which way were you headed? If you're serious about bugging out on this thing, I suggest both take the time to actually ride it on the streets to see the problems you may face and actually how far you'll go along with doing this during different times of the day if possible to understand what traffic will be like and possible problems facing you. While motorcycles, scooters, etc. sound good in getting out of town, they also make noise and require gas. Why not mountain bikes with some baskets on them? You don't go as fast, but able to carry more and not noisy at all.

As a truck driver, been up & down Calif. highways from Yreka to the Mexican border and L.A. to San Bernardino traffic is always bad....just badder at other times of the day. You think trying to drive out of town with a car would be bad? Try it with 70' of truck & trailer. I always wondered/thought of possibly using the flood control canals. Hadn't planned on driving my rig thru it, but a car would have no problem passing under the roads overpasses or riding a bike of any kind. Check the kind of locks for these access points and plan on having a bolt cutter that'll do the job. Also, have you thought of the Pacific Crest Trail which is near San Bernardino as a place to escape to? Yeah, there might be a lot of people also using it, but they'd be walking, on bikes/motorcycles while the majority of the population would be walking due to being in the worlds largest parking lot.

I'm like you...hoping to bug in for a short term, shtf scenario.

#12 ·
I'm just down the road from you in Orange County and if there is a major SHTF event you are basically ****ed. Bugging in, if possible, is your best bet to begin with. You maybe able to bug out later but you better have a good idea of where you are going. Meaning have a bug out location to go to. You can't just run off into the mountains and hope to survive. Depending on where you are in LA and the type of disaster, if you have to bug out, heading toward the ocean the opposite way of everyone else running maybe a good idea. If you can "borrow" a boat it might be worth it.

#14 ·
Mexico will be up in arms to keep invaders out. So south is no go. Plus you're leaving one megalopolis for another.

East is the desert - not much there.

Leaves - north. I would think the coast routes would be a little safer... tho there's a lot to be said for getting thru the mojave and up the Sierra Nevada ridge.

Transportation? You have a 40 mile electric bike which will likely not get you anywhere near out of harms way if needed. I would upgrade to a motorcycle (and rig a trailer for it), maybe the same for your wife / SO... in said trailer in addition to your "survival" gear, you will also likely be able to stash 4 or 5 1 gallon cans of gas - for extra range.

You want to get out of and stay away from metro areas. Learn the routes that do NOT have cities on them (there are a few once you get on this side of the grapevine). Learn them and Drive them once or twice over a weekend or 2 so you know them (call it a mini vacation) and know what to expect.

Remember - once you're out of the city, you're (for all intents) in red state California, you want to blend in, not stand out. Living in the city, you don't realize how little clues about what you're wearing, etc., will set you off as a stranger. Look at the locals during your mini vacations - in fact, I'd even recommending doing some clothes shopping during these vacations at local stores (Wallyworld, Dollar General, et nauseum), just so you have something that looks "local", not screams "LA Refugees".

The biggest thing is not being afraid to pull the trigger... if your spidey sense is shouting "go", then go. If it does end up being nothing, it's a surprise 3 day vacation... but you want to get as far away from town as you can as FAST as you can (think minutes, not hours). That, or expect to have to bug in, and take your chances.

My dad did this as well - as kids we used to go to "the cabins" in Trinity County... each time was a more rural route, or the fastest most direct route. Didn't realize until later that was his bug out plan... he later bought a place on a lake in northeast California, and he and his last wife did the same thing...

But yeah... you're rolling the dice - you either are lucky and survive... or you don't. The longer you delay, the more the odds turn against you.

We left a metro area and got a place in the rural parts... got a job up here, set up our home, and live pretty well... but you have to fit in.

#16 ·
Sailboat, loaded with provisions, parked in a slip in a marina.

Anything else, other than your private plane means you are staying put.

The boat has the advantage of being a home and being able to carry more supplies and equipment.

I used to live in LA and just one overturned tanker truck shuts down the freeway system.

Good Luck

#17 ·
One of your basic criteria would be “where are you going?”

If you ride a motocross cycle along railroad tracks you’ll likely make it out of town, but with nothing more than a backpack. Fine if you’re heading to a stocked cabin.

But if you want to take a large amount of preps with you, a boat is really the only option that lets you carry something like a moving van full of stuff.

So “where you’re going” can be a deciding factor.

#19 ·
Dont be there when the SHTF! I mean seriously lets watch a little Dr Phil and get real...have you seen what I-5 and the 405 and I-15 look like during rush hour? I could crawl on broking glass doused in alcohol and get down the road quicker than trying to drive it! Tell me where I am wrong?

When I lived in San Diego while in the military...I bought a 37ft sail boat which by the way I also chose to live on since it was cheaper than an apartment in the slums of Chula Juana or Nasty City (Chulavista and National City), so that if SHTF, I could get out of there even from work in about 15 minutes. That was hands down the best decision I have ever made in my life during that 7 year period, even from a financial stand point!!!

My Boat payment was 525 a month (paid 19K) and my slip was running about 400 a month and I had "Live Aboard Status" after a year on the waiting list (they only allow 10% of the slips at a marina be Live Aboard by law) and the military was paying me about 1200 to live off the base. Crime at the Marina was almost non existent and a fellow Live Aboard usually interviend to save the day the few incidents we did have. It was safer than a gated community with armed security!

#22 ·
The fastest way out, die.

But seriously, having lived in SoCal for several years before I finally decided to leave that country, there is no way out in a SHTF scenario. You can't bug in either, at least not for a long period of time. I have lots of family there, they are just going to die. I hate to be the Debbie downer here. As someone else suggested, why are you even there still?

Maybe you can take the rain runoff water ways down to Huntington Beach or the California Aqueduct system. But likely, others will do the same thing.

If something serious happens in SoCal, you are done. Tooooooo many people.

#24 ·
With all due respect I feel you are a sitting duck with that plan. No one is stuck in LA only if they chose to. I was working in LA county in the early 1990s and got out when I was making very good money, but being honest I have been happy ever since for not staying.
Living there when things get bad is not wise becuz of to many career criminals, illegals, gangs, and neighborhoods that are divided by Race. Watch some old Apr 1992 video about the Rodney King verdict. If you need to stay you need a better vehicle that holds more supplies to get out . Your just one earthquake away from being stuck SF quake of oct 1989 or the Northridge quake in 1994 did tons of damage and messed up major freeways for months. Good luck whatever you chose to do.

#25 ·
Having been to San Francisco over the Christmas holiday, and seeing the condition of the major roads, and the traffic they were carrying (primarily I-80 and connected loops and branches), I would highly recommend that if you do decide to use a land route, in any direction, that you do not even consider any of the Interstate type roads, or any of the toll roads. Secondary roads may not be much better as to traffic, but it cannot be any worse than what it will be on the major roads. In either case, I would definitely recommend carrying additional mounted spare tires, as well as quicker ways to change them than the ones usually provided with the vehicle.

With all the trash, and likelihood that getting around some of the blockages will likely have you running over some of it, which will greatly increase the chance for flat tires, being able to change more than one on the trip could be very important. And doing it quickly will be much safer.

A floor jack, some jack stands, wheel chocks, and a cordless drill with hammer drill capability or a cordless impact driver (I use the Black & Decker Matrix system that has different heads, including drill head and impact head, as well as several others), with several extra charged batteries, will make the process of changing a tire on the road faster and safer.

In addition to the extra mounted spare tires, having a couple (or several) more un-mounted tires and the tools to mount and air them up could be a major advantage. Flat tires will shut you down just as effectively as running out of fuel.

Just my additional opinion.

#27 ·
Hi James,

Welcome, I recently joined this forum as well and I have been prepping for several years in the SFV. If you want to go do some shooting or something sometime just let me know, it's always good to see more people from Los Angeles on here.

IMHO, those of us who experience Los Angeles on a daily basis should be prepared for bugging in as well as bugging out. I think the most reasonable thing to prepare for is the 'Big One' and the civil unrest that would follow.

If the 'Big One' is as damaging as some folks speculate, the chances are good that the 5 and 10 fwys will be rendered inoperable for quite some time in the spots where they pass over the San Andreas fault. This leaves the 101 North to Oxnard / Ventura as the only major route out - so long story short, no one is leaving Los Angeles in their cars or trucks.

IF (big if) your house or apartment survives the quake, I think the move is to be prepared to bug in for the short term. I don't know, maybe a week or two. 18 wheelers aren't going to be able to bring in food and there's just no way to helicopter in the kind of aid that Los Angeles would need without trucks being able to deliver things. People are gonna try and leave on foot and it's gonna get really really ugly, really really fast. I think folks like us would need to wait that out. See what you can do to harden your house.

Maybe you're in a small apartment complex? Do you have good ties with your neighbors? You have water and food for 30 days? A place outside your home for garbage and waste? You said you're in mid-city, if you're in a high rise I would definitely look into moving. I was in Downtown Los Angeles for a while, that's going to be a total deathtrap if a really big earthquake hits. I'm not talking about the 6.7 Northridge quake, talking about the 8.0+ that some are predicting.

IF your house or apartment does not survive the quake, I'd honestly say a couple bikes and backpacks along coastal railway is best. My wife and I keep our bicycles and bags for that OUTSIDE the apartment in case it gets flattened. The electric scooter is going to draw a lot of attention from desperate people in the day time and if you use the LA river at night as some suggest, understand that there are a tremendous number of homeless people and likely a lot of gang activity down there. We all see the tent cities on our commutes in the daytime, right?

My wife and I are prepared to ride our bikes up North where we have family. It's a several day ride and pretty tiring in places. Take some time off with your wife and see if y'all can do it. We've done this several times now and then take the train back to LA. It's fun and nice way to unplug from LA. Food and water, a small tent and sleeping bags, definitely a couple sub-compact hand guns if it was SHTF. But leave the shotguns and ARs behind. They'll just draw attention and as someone said earlier - even with a tank you're not shooting your way out of Los Angeles.

I think it's smart that you're thinking about this stuff. The prevailing Hollywood culture / mentality down here is gonna be royally f*cked if a true SHTF event occurs.

Best,

W

#30 ·
Hi James,

Welcome, I recently joined this forum as well and I have been prepping for several years in the SFV. If you want to go do some shooting or something sometime just let me know, it's always good to see more people from Los Angeles on here.

IMHO, those of us who experience Los Angeles on a daily basis should be prepared for bugging in as well as bugging out. I think the most reasonable thing to prepare for is the 'Big One' and the civil unrest that would follow.

<<snip>>
One of the biggest problems you're going to face in the event of the "Big One" that will make "bugging in" unlikely will be fire. I've lived in SoCal while in the Marines, and a tremendous number of neighborhoods have natural gas appliances, including hot water heaters. In an earthquake, people evacuate and don't turn off the gas. Everything from hot water heaters falling over to stoves "walking" away from the wall can cause those gas pipes to rupture, with the result that any spark may set entire neighborhoods ablaze.

Any fires that occur are going to keep on burning - because (a) there won't be cohesive fire departments available to respond; and (b) even if they tried, they won't be able to get through gridlocked streets.

Even if you have your own place squared away, and yours doesnt' initially catch on fire, if 5 or 6 houses on your block are on fire, the chances of the fire spreading may be high - and it may spread to your place.

And if it does spread to your place, where are you going to go when the neighborhood is in flames and the streets are impassible with gridlock and debris? Hell - look at the fires that until recently were burning in California. How many houses did those fires consume? And that was WITH major resources, aircraft, multiple fire departments, etc. all committed to fighting the blazes. How much more destructive would those fires have been if no one was fighting them? Would the families in the path of those fires have much success with "bugging in"? :(

Bugging in may certainly be possible under some circumstances, but you don't know what you don't know - and the unintended or unanticipated consequences of a massive earthquake could render your place unfit to "bug in". Unless you're in some remote part of California where whatever is going on in your neighborhood stands no chance of impacting your place - better not plan on bugging in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.