Survivalist Forum banner

300 blackout help

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  3percentR 
#1 ·
Hello all, I'm looking to build a 300 blackout but honestly don't know much about it. I'm wanting it in pistol configuration. 8m thinking 8.5 inch barrel. Anyone have any good uppers and lowers to recommend? Trying to keep it at about 800-850. Thanks for the help!

#2 ·
My son got one a little while back and weve been playing with it a good bit. His is a 10.5" gun, and shoots pretty well with the variety of factory hes been getting.

The 10.5" isnt to bad to be around while shooting. My other son has a .223 with a 7.5-8" barrel, and its obnoxious to be near when shot. Not sure how the BO would be. I dont think you notice it as much when youre the shooter though.

He finally got his suppressor and just got some dies, so were starting to load for it. Havent got out with them yet though.

Factory ammo is a bit salty but seems to be available most places. Reloading, as with most things, is the way to go if you want to shoot any reasonable amount.

With subsonic and the suppressor it is amazingly quiet. Quieter than my 9mm with subsonic, even when wet.

#3 ·
You can build one for a lot less than $800. It just depends what features or specs you want.

For starters, I'd prowl Palmetto State, Delta Team Tactical etc looking for uppers and/or kits.

Second, you can either build a lower and buy an upper, or you can buy an entire kit. If you buy an entire kit, some will include pre-assembled uppers, some will require you to build the upper as well. My suggestion if you haven't done this before is to assemble the lower but use a complete upper.

For legal reasons, you cannot put a stock on the gun. You can use a normal carbine tube with no stock. But, most people use a pistol tube, which is like a carbine tube except without the six holes for 6-position carbine stocks. You can then optionally add a brace, for example, KAK Shockwave. It may be economical to buy an entire KAK pistol kit, which would include the buffer spring, tube and brace. Expect to pay about $65 or $70 for that kit.

You'll pay $40-$60 for a stripped lower (more if you want a particular brand name) and $40-$50 for a standard lower parts kit. Note, these are standard, not unique to .300 BLK. In other words, the exact same lower and lower parts kit work for 5.56 as for .300 BLK.

You should be able to find an upper for $250-$400, depending what features you want and if it includes a BCG and CH.

If purchased separately, expect to pay about $80 or $85 for BCG and CH. It uses AR-15 standard stuff for those parts.

It will use regular AR magazines. If you have a 5.56 AR, BEWARE. It will ruin your day if you put a magazine full of .300 Blackout in your 5.56. I use 20-round plastic magazines for .300 Blackout for this reason, to make mixups very unlikely.

I personally like the Magpul AFG-2 for pistols. Note, there are legal issues in using a vertical grip on an AR pistol. The angled grip is legally ok. That is my understanding. I am not a lawyer. An AFG-2 and the rail to mount it on should be $35 or so.

And the only other thing to add would be if you want a red dot, flashlight, laser etc.

Not scrimping and using realistic guesses, you can build a nice AR pistol for under $600 easy. If you did scrimp, you could go lower than that.

The ONLY unique part for .300 BLK is the barrel. Well, the gas system is a little different. Literally every other part of the gun is the same: lower receiver, upper receiver, BCG, buffer tube setup etc.

Building an upper can be a bit of a challenge without special tools and I don't advise it if you haven't done this before. But, anybody can pull up a youtube video and build a lower with regular-guy tools and an hour or two. There are some tools that make building a lower easier for one person (the right kind of punches for the pins, a magwell piece to hold the lower still over a vise etc). If you don't have that stuff, a helper will come in handy once or twice when you need a third hand. But it's not rocket science.

#4 ·
Thanks man! Yeah I have been googling parts the past few weeks but was overwhelmed with all the options of brands. And so many brands I never even heard of. I just want it to look nice, function, and not break the bank. I do not have tools for an AR do I think getting a completed lower will be the best thing. Can I get any complete lower or do I have to find a special lower for a pistol? As in I don't wanna get a rifle lower and slap a pistol upper and now its illegal.

#5 ·
They are showing most out of stock, but PSA has a number of choices. This is one......

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-15-complete-classic-pistol-lower-no-magazine-black.html

You can also get stripped lowers and put them together. Its an easy project, and plenty of tutorials on Youtube if youre not sure how to go about it.

My sons gun was built on a PSA lower kit, with a Radical Arms upper. I think he has around $700 in it, including the Shockwave brace kit and sights.

#6 ·
I bought a 10.5” PSA .300BLK upper that I built into a pistol. If you’re planning on shooting a lot of supersonic ammo, be forewarned - with a regular buffer, mine was overgassed to high heck. It shot subsonics VERY well, but I would recommend that an 8.5” barrel is the happiest medium for a .300 BLK pistol.

I ended up selling it. A friend of mine has a 9” .300 that digests any and all loads, so if I decide to partake in .300 again i’ll go with an 8.5. Plus right now I don’t have to be hyper-vigilant at the range about mixing up .300 and 5.56.

#7 ·
I built mine out of parts, I used a stripped lower, it happens to be an Anderson, right now lower parts kits are cheap, I bought an upper with a dust cover and f.a. installed, I bought a ten.5 inch barrel and enough parts to assemble it, the hand guard used a hex wrench instead of a standard barrel nut wrench, I used a FA bolt carrier assy. a low profile gas block and a pistol gas tube and a standard a2 flash hider, I did not have any problems, but I am a professional mechanic. I also used a pistol buffer tube and buffer. I have not tried to run it subsonic, since I don't have a suppressor, I see no reason to.

#8 ·
I'm using an Aero Precision 8.5" MLOK Enhanced M4E1 upper and LOVE it!

I also have a self built 12.5" upper that is a Noveske stainless barrel, and assorted premium parts that is great.

Suppressed, I'd recommend the Aero Precision 8.5" on the enhanced version upper receiver. I believe that upper receiver is the best designed and made upper in the AR15 market. Works great suppressed too!

#12 ·
I second the using an Aero Precision 8.5" MLOK Enhanced M4E1 upper and their lowers are reasonable. Buy all the parts at the best price you can find and assemble, videos on Youtube on the process. I have built several, ping me if you have questions. You will want a blast sheild muzzle device.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.