Survivalist Forum banner

What Are Your Thoughts on a Boot Knife

10K views 48 replies 39 participants last post by  Ivan RoachCoach 
#1 ·
Hello everyone.

I'm just curious what everyone thinks about carrying a boot knife as a sort of backup to your pocket knife in an Urban setting.

I live in a small town (the nearest WalMart has a higher population), so seeing belt knives, open carry handguns, etc in town is normal. A lot of us carry a fixed blade in our work boots in case "something" happens that is too much for our folding knife. I got out of the practice when I started traveling down to the city for school (knives on campus are really frowned upon in Ca. And tennis shoes aren't Ariats), but on a recent hunting trip I dropped a knife in my boot and it got me wondering what people in bigger cities think of the practice.

--Bobcat

#2 ·
I did when I was younger, but I found that alot of the boot knives out there are cheaply made, at least the ones that I have come across. They can also be uncomfortable if the sheath somehow shifts in your boot. Personally, I don't carry one, nor do I want one.

#5 ·
Where it is legal, I like them. But only a quality one. And a very good sheath. My preference is a sheath that clips to a pull on boot. But one that straps to the lower leg will work if there is a support strap to keep it from riding down.

If you are wearing an ankle holster and using an off-side magazine carrier, you can often clip and secure a boot knife to the magazine carrier.

I would keep it on the small size. Something like the Cold Steel Tac-2. The Tekna Ocean Edge would be a very good one. Very slim.

But be very sure about the legality. And make sure it is secure. The last thing you want is to have it fall off in polite company, or lose it on campus.

Just my opinion.

#8 ·
Used to carry a S&W dagger-looking boot knife (it wasn't technically a dagger as it only had one edge, and at the time daggers were illegal). It was pretty cheap ($20) but was slim, light, and the sheath was nice.

I like a dagger style knife for a boot knife, as it's only purpose (for me) is as a fighting knife. If I need a working knife, I usually have a belt knife on for that sort of work.

#12 ·
I used to "wear" a boot knife, straight blade, clip on holster... liked it fine, only thing I didn't like was trying to keep an edge on that cheap ass metal.

I wasn't interested in protection, I just wanted to use it for food. Carrying clip-on stuff on my belt or in the pockets usually means it gets dislodged in the brush... carrying it in the boot under trouser leg... meant it was there when I reached for it.

sorry, no city experience.

#13 ·
The knife in the picture is the one I put in my boot ($5 for size reference). It's not "cheap," but it's not high-value either. Still, it's full-tang, and holds an edge very well. I'll put it inside my Ariat boot on the right foot, on the outside of my ankle. This isn't a weapon for me, it's more of a utility item than anything. It's there even when I don't put my Mora on my belt (like a quick trip to buy milk), and sometimes it's nice to have a 4.5" fixed blade to accompany my 3" EDC Kershaw folder.

--Bobcat

Attachments

#14 ·
I carried a boot knife when I flew military helicopters so I could always get to a blade to cut myself out of a harness if required. An SF friend gave me a hard time saying a boot knife is too hard to get to. I agree...unless you are strapped into a helicopter seat. Don't see much reason for one in other circumstances and it surely is hard to get to unless you put the handle outside of your pants (which I did when flying).

#19 ·
I have a very nice boot knife from Case that I have never carried because they have been illegal in Texas. Don't know now that they loosened the laws some. They are definitely hard to get to.

Reactions: theblindman94
#21 ·
As to the difficulty of accessing a boot knife, the technique I use may be different than what some others do. I do not bent way over to get the knife. I usually simply lift my leg, lean just slightly, pulling up my pants leg if necessary, and pull the knife. This way I can usually keep my eyes on the threat.

I also practicing going to one knee, and do the same thing.

In some cases, when a threat seems to be developing but is not immediate, you might be able to prop your foot on something high enough to make it easy to access the knife.

Depending on legalities and such, as well as whether or not concealment is a factor, the knife can be carried so the grip is exposed, or the knife sheath carried on the outside of the pants, sort of creating a blousing effect.

And just like many other things related to prepping, carrying a boot knife may not always work in some situations, but it may work in some, and as long as weight and legality issues are acceptable, having one, to me, is better than not having one.

For many years, before the restrictions that are in place now, and the climate terrorism created became so bad, I carried a Choate CIA letter opener in my sock. I had put a decent edge on it, though not so much as it would cut my leg, as it was carried against my skin under my sock. (Or sometimes, if my socks were a bit loose, under a neoprene band around my lower leg.) It is primarily a stabbing knife rather than a cutting knife, so not being razor sharp was not a problem. The Gerber I had at the time, however, had to go in a sheath. No way would I carry it against my skin. Sucker was razor sharp.

Just my opinion.

Reactions: theblindman94
#28 ·
As to the difficulty of accessing a boot knife, the technique I use may be different than what some others do. I do not bent way over to get the knife. I usually simply lift my leg, lean just slightly, pulling up my pants leg if necessary, and pull the knife. This way I can usually keep my eyes on the threat.
Balancing on one leg while using one or both hands to pull up your pants leg seems to put a person at a disadvantage if responding to a threat. Whatever the threat and however I intend to respond, I want a solid stance/foundation whether I intend to draw a knife or a firearm, or use empty hand techniques. Just my opinion.

#22 ·
my older Chippewa "Nasty feet" came with a sheath slice and loop sewn onto the outside of the shaft,(clip slid in the slice and locked, tip of the sheath dropped in the loop to support) perfect fit for a Gerber MK1, the option was left or right boot, inside or outside. used to boot carry a lot when i was younger and more flexable. nowadays, I OC, left side or scout, as in South Carolina, I can carry whatever blade i desire, however i want, with the exceptions of a couple of places.

#26 ·
I don't think a boot knife is a good idea in an urban setting.
harder to explain if something happens. Same thing with a hidden knife in a cane.

just a bad idea.

Carry your knife like everyone else does. Then it is normal and doesn't help someone build a case against you.

Just my opinion.

#34 ·
When I had my Leather shop I would go to gun shows, antique stores and pawn shops and pick up old fixed blade knives that were in poor shape and rehab them. A lot were real Stag handle knives, many times the blades had blood pitting so I would sand and polish them, then I would build a leather decorative western boot sheath that would slip down inside the boot with just the handle showing or a sheath that would clip to the outside of the boot utilizing a clip and rivet to hold it in place. Sold most of them to the SASS cowboy action shooters. I had a waiting list for them. I feel a boot knife as a last ditch life saver is a great idea but not used as a main weapon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.