Survivalist Forum banner

Condor chest rigs, MCR5 or MCR6

7K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  glockrocks 
#1 ·
Looking at buying a chest rig for my AR.
At a decent price, of course. $33 each via eBay.
The MCR6 holds 6 AR magazines, one per pouch across your front, and has molle to add other things in front of the mag carriers.
The MCR5 holds 6 AR mags, two in each of three front pouches. Kangarooed in front of the AR pouches are 6 pistol mag pouches.
Both have 2 molle spaces on both sides of the rig.
Question:
Assuming all pouches full, which would carry easier, more comfortable, more balanced, easier mag access in your opinion?
Or should I just get a bare chest rig, MCR3, and add my own pouches? $19 on eBay. 8x8 molle spaces.
Probably add a pistol holster to whichever rig I end up with.

#4 ·
Understand Condor is mostly shat upon. I'm not taking it it Afghanistan, just around the home use.
Not really looking at a long term SHTF usage, more of a short term SHTF use or nasty bump in the night, multiple home invader, grab it and go.
Already have a FLC vest with several mag pouches on it. Even though I've removed some stuff, it's a bit heavy for the above scenarios. It's set up more as a minutemen rig with additional survival stuff. Don't really need a shelter kit and canteens for my bump in the night rig. Just looking at carrying mags, pistol, flashlight, and an AFAK.
I did consider a lightweight version of an FLC.

#5 ·
Just a thought here thats a bit unrelated to the op but still applicable in my experience...

Have you tried getting down low when your being shot at with all that stuff on your chest and having to crawl around even if you do manage to get low enough? I ask that becuase I never gave it much though until I DID have to! Another though that came to mind, if your down low and have those mags on your chest have you tried doing a mag reload while bullets are flying over your head? Needless to say, my opinions have since evolved considerably...

Of the two, I would take the 6 AR mags up front and hope I dont have to go prone for very long or move much.

#7 ·
I figure a bag or bandolier type setup rated over either of those chest rigs.

Surplus US chest rig rated over that. Surplus rig can be setup mags more to the side, with a quick zip out of it (or into it, for that matter).

Form or function? Function always trumps form.

#8 ·
In the spirit of the original post, I have and prefer the MCR7 Ronin rig. I use it when practicing movement at the range and when I'm taking tactical training classes, and it's held up well for over 2 years of pretty heavy use. I prefer having a rig that opens in front, since it's a lot easier to get in and out of, and the magazines sit slightly off to the side in case you do need to get flat for whatever reason. It doesn't come with any mag pouches, so those will be extra, but it gives you more flexibility to what you carry and how. I also have the Condor 242 hydro harness that replaces the shoulder straps on the MCR5/6/7 and allows you to carry up to a 2.5l water bladder.

FWIW I also have a surplus FLC that I use occasionally, but I honest prefer the fit and flexibility of the Condor rig.

#9 ·
I'd recommend the Condor MCR4 OPS Chest Rig instead of the others (MCR 3, 5, or 6):

https://www.condoroutdoor.com/Condor-MCR4.aspx

Alternatively, the MCR-7.

People have opinions on Condor. Much of it is regurgitated internet commentary rather than having actually owned/used some of Condor's products. My opinion on their chest rigs and pouches has changed over the years:
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showpost.php?p=5774741&postcount=11

I prefer a blank slate when it comes to MOLLE chest rigs. Something I can add my own selection and optimized arrangement of pouches to. The MCR4 offers some features that make it better than the plain MCR3. Better map pocket design plus inclusion of two integral side pouches. I believe it also has a few more columns of PALS channels.

I own and use a Multicam version of the MCR4 rig. Quite satisfied with it for what it is. I like the hidden side pouches and front map pocket. A split front rig (like my Tactical Tailor MAV or the Condor MCR7 Ronin) is more convenient for ease of donning and doffing. A split front also allows you to unbuckle from the front to get a little flatter into micro terrain when prone. But the solid front MCR4 isn't really bad in that regard and offers a little bit more pouch real estate than the typical split front rig (more vertical PALS channels).

I strenuously avoid the Tactical Michelin Man Look (layers upon layers of pouches extending out to the front. I like a nearly flat, close to the torso, one-pouch-layer rig. Makes for easier going when operating vehicles, egressing from vehicles, going prone/low crawling, and when trying to roll over obstacles like window sills, walls, roof parapets, balcony railings, gates, etc. Those are important things to consider. Life is not a flat range where you spend all your time erect on two feet.

Whichever rig you choose, I'd recommend getting the modular hydration harness that attaches to all their MCR chest rigs. It's a really decent hydro carrier and shoulder harness assembly. 2.5 liters of bladder plus room for some odds and ends. Plus some rear MOLLE real estate for a back pouch or two. I have one of those too:

https://www.condoroutdoor.com/Condor-242-008.aspx

I'm now retired from a fairly lengthy and adventurous military career. One where I wore this kind of gear routinely in training and combat. Like... really wore it. A lot. For decades.

I own several different chest rigs today. Tactical Tailor, Blue Force Gear, etc. But my primary set up for home defense and local patrol of my property is that previously mentioned MCR4. It's as good as most anything else. The materials, sewing, and design are pretty damn good for not much money. I'm satisfied that it won't fall apart under a load and can take quite a bit of getting scuffed up.

I don't say that lightly. Or without deep experience at putting such gear through its paces.

#24 ·
People have opinions on Condor. Much of it is regurgitated internet commentary rather than having actually owned/used some of Condor's products.
I own several different chest rigs today. Tactical Tailor, Blue Force Gear, etc. But my primary set up for home defense and local patrol of my property is that previously mentioned MCR4. It's as good as most anything else. The materials, sewing, and design are pretty damn good for not much money. I'm satisfied that it won't fall apart under a load and can take quite a bit of getting scuffed up.

I don't say that lightly. Or without deep experience at putting such gear through its paces.
Perfect is the Enemy of Good Enough.
That last line sums it all up so well. I understand that Internet forums are perfectly suited for "analysis paralysis" and arguing over the perfect choice for any sort of product to be used in any sort of situation, and I do it myself, but it's easy to achieve perfection when you're spending someone else's money.

OP made his choice, so that's settled, but I get a kick out of the heated debates over which consumer-grade piece of kit is the best, worst, or good enough. Personally, I own some excellent mil-surp gear that I have every reason to believe would serve me well in the sort of roles it was designed for. However, given my own needs for home/self defense, most of that military gear is nowhere near ideal for the roles in which I would most likely be using it. Consumer-grade gear is the better fit for most of my needs, if for no other reason than because the civilian market is so overwhelmingly vast that, eventually, someone designed a product perfect for my intended uses and my environment.

That's the beauty of living in the 21st century and having so many options available to us. But, of course, everyone is an expert on what everyone else needs, no credentials required.

#11 ·
That's a plan that will be OBE (Overcome By Events) the first time somebody tries to fill you in with bullets.

I've low crawled a lot. Not a problem with chest rigs. A pistol belt actually makes a pretty good scoop for all the crap and detritus on the ground. Because when low crawling (and high crawling), your hips and lower abdomen are the biggest part of you in close contact to Mother Earth.

#12 ·
It depends:
1. One may have to crawl in deep mud and such, or even just in wet grass. And, no question, one can get LOWER without the stuff on his chest.
2. Absolutely nothing prevents a guy to shift EVERYTHING in front of him to put things to the side, or even behind his back.

#13 ·
I may have missed all the finer points of IMT (Individual Movement Technique) and load carriage during my 35 year grunt career. Probably not.

The simplest way to achieve flat to the ground is with a low slung LBE worn in open order (unbuckled) as we did in the Ranger Battalions... or to wear a split front chest rig or assault vest (also unfastened). Everything stays mostly to the sides as you snake across the ground.

#15 ·
I may have missed all the finer points of IMT (Individual Movement Technique) and load carriage during my 35 year grunt career. Probably not.

The simplest way to achieve flat to the ground is with a low slung LBE worn in open order (unbuckled) as we did in the Ranger battalions... or to wear a split front chest rig or assault vest (also unfastened). Everything stays mostly to the side as you snake across the ground.
Yeah, those days of the unbuckled LBE are long gone from the Ranger Battalions. That changed shortly before I left 3/75 in 87. Went to KPots and Buckled LBEs. Round about 96 they went to the SDS RAK (chest rig)

#18 ·
The low slung 2/75 SOP LBE (4 x triple 5.56 pouches, buttpack, e-tool, 2 x canteens, bayonet/knife, pistol holster, compass pouch, medical pouch, etc.) riding at or below butt cheek level was a viable solution for an era of ALICE Large pack wear.

That configuration kept all that belt line gear just below the kidney pad & hip belt of the ruck. Allowing for a comfortable ride when conducting long marches and patrolling. Few buckled their pack hip belt, almost no one buckled their LBE. At best, the typical LBE was fastened with an improvised sternum strap and mini-biner. The ruck pinned the harness in place and your LBE stayed pretty fixed while moving.

The other big reason for lengthening the LBE suspenders was to allow for feeding 35+ lbs worth of LBE under and through a parachute harness. Made rigging and JMPI much easier. Which was important because we jumped all the friggin' time with worn ALICE LBE. When you jumped, your frontal chest & waistline region was essentially clean except for your parachute harness. No pouches getting compressed into your kidneys, balls, or ribs by a snugged down parachute rig.

In any event, the Condor MCR rigs are pretty decent gear for the money. Not the very best, but still functional and affordable. Minuteman & Home Defender Gear.

Perfect is the Enemy of Good Enough.

#19 ·
After much thought:
I bought a two pack of ACU triple mag molle pouches from sportsman's guide on sale.
Looking at my current FLC vest, I could put one one each side of a FLC.
New FLC vest eBay's for $10 shipped.
Or further limit my current FLC and put the non firearm related items on a battle belt or equivalent.

#21 ·
The FLC that was suggested at the start of the thread will work fine. I wanted to go to a chest rig. The FLC is a vest type rig, but it can be shortened. I shortened mine up, and it serves as a chest rig just fine. Chest rig better than vest for me, I like my stuff higher up as it's easier on me when I squat down or when I'm in a vehicle. I never could stand it when I would squat down, and my legs would push up on a pouch, driving the top of it into my gut. Makes it difficult to draw a mag from without moving from your spot. Now that I'm retired, and half crippled (and fatter) this is even more important.

Big plus is the Army gave it to me for free, though I did add newer pouches a few years back. (Retired in '09) You can find them cheep dang near everywhere.

#22 ·
Y'all will laugh but. I used to run a plate carrier made by Condor for 24 hour scenario games for paintball. Problem with a plate carrier, you carry too much **** that gets caught on everything. The quality was good, and I have had it for over ten years. I crawled a lot in that plate carrier, through mud and much just cuz I am a sneaky bugger.

I have moved away from vests to battle belts. Lighter, more maneuverable, more easily crawled in and yes it can be unbuckled to really low crawl.

So I may not have used my gear in war, but if it can survive heavy use and heavy abuse of a paintball player then it cannot be all bad.

#25 ·
Bummer, Dude.
Just test fit my MagPul mags in the GI 3 pouch mag carriers. They DO NOT fit. The slots seem likely big enough to possibly hold two GI metal mags BUT the snap top straps are a little to short to snap over single MagPuls. The snap area is doubled over so some seam ripping and replacement snaps will be needed before use ;( Or spend a little more $$ and get the Velcro adjustable version mag carriers.

#27 ·
I have a condor MOPC. Yes I have the plates in the carrier. There's nothing wrong with the carrier. It's well made a about as comfortable as any other plate carrier. Am I going to wear it all the time? No. It's mostly for bump in the night right now. Later,if need be, it will be worn for defense around the BOL if it comes to that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.