Survivalist Forum banner

Does FFP / Second Focal Plane matter on FIXED scopes?

2K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Unobtanium 
#1 ·
After listening to the entire Sniper 101 series on youtube I'm now convinced to buy a fixed 10x scope, however just as I was about to order it I noticed it said "second focal plane" which is another thing the Sniper 101 guy said to never ever ever get.

However I'm starting to think that maybe he was refering to variable zoom lenses, that IF you insist on getting a variable zoom lense THEN it must be first focal plane. I'm not sure if he ever mentioned whether FFP or SFP matters on a fixed one.

#3 ·
It doesn't matter on fixed, nor on most scopes for most people.

Example, say you have a 3x9 SFP scope, when you sight in you'll use 9x. When you shoot anything beyond 100 yards you'll likely use 9x, not 4x-8x because you'll dial all the way up to maximum magnification where the relationship/magnification/reticle is the same.

If you are close and need speed or field of vision, 3x and the relationship is off but you are close enough it won't matter enough to matter.

That said FFP is better, but more expensive.

10x fixed, don't worry about it.

#7 ·
First focal plane, the reticle changes in size with the zoom level. At the least amount of zoom, the reticle is very small and it's big at full zoom. But any BDC marks will be accurate at any zoom level. But this can be pretty cool on a scope like the Primary Arms 1-6 FFP, which has a horseshoe around the center of the reticle. At 1x, the horseshoe is so small that it's like a red dot.

Second focal plane, the reticle is always the same size at any zoom level. But the BDC is ONLY accurate at full zoom. Like match says, if you're taking a shot using the BDC, you're probably going to be at full zoom anyway so it doesn't matter.

On a fixed zoom scope, the reticle is always the same size and there is no adjustable zoom and FFP or SFP is a meaningless spec. It wouldn't make any difference at all whether it was FFP or SFP.

It also wouldn't make a difference on a FFP or SFP scope that doesn't have a BDC or MOA hashes or some other way of measuring. It would have to have some rangefinding or measuring marks. For example, with a simple duplex reticle it wouldn't make a difference, but if you have MOA hashmarks on the crosshairs and use them to measure your target, it would.

Focus is different. Some scopes have a focus on the eyepiece.

#10 ·
No offense Sarco2000, but I would not recommend a PA scope. I know they have a great warranty everyone raves about using when they break, but they are not appropriate for a survivalist that may need to count on his gear when systems of commerce are down, such as a (trade) war.

I’d recommend a good American made scope. Evaluate it on optical clarity and light transmission foremost, then reticle, eye relief, exit pupil size, fully multi coated lenses etc.

The only thing that matters is quality if you are serious. Quality does not have to be expensive, shiny, come with a warranty, or new. Mounts matter too.

#12 ·
The main advantage to FFP is when using mildots to range. With a fixed power scope this becomes irrelevant. If mildots are used on a variable scope that is NOT ffp, the ranging will not be accurate. It will only be accurate on the highest power setting. So on a fixed power scope (say a Leupold MK4) it becomes irrelevant because the scope is accurate at its only power setting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.