Survivalist Forum banner

AR-15 parts

4K views 39 replies 22 participants last post by  ROCK6 
#1 ·
I searched and couldn't find a thread on this so my apologies if there is one.
I need recommendations on the best places to order AR-15 parts from that are known for quality. I know PSA is good. Any other suggestions? Not looking for a build, just some spare parts. Thanks in advance.

#9 ·
Thanks guys. I'm looking for high quality.
But having said that I don't need parts that are some crazy name brand at triple the price.
Just normal high quality similar to Palemtto State Armory, which I'm familiar with.
The comments above give me a good list to work from.

#11 ·
I searched and couldn't find a thread on this so my apologies if there is one.
I need recommendations on the best places to order AR-15 parts from that are known for quality. I know PSA is good. Any other suggestions? Not looking for a build, just some spare parts. Thanks in advance.
There is no freaking way I would stock any of my AR type rifle toolboxes with PSA garbage...

#18 ·
Didn't mean to start a war over which ones are better. I'm just needing some spare parts is all and thought I would ask for ideas on places I might not be familiar with.
I agree with Wulfmann. Hence the reason for ordering a few more....unless I get so many it turns into a build. Then I'm back to square one. But seriously going to try and keep my spare parts as just that...spare parts.

#30 ·
Bought from a ton of different vendors over the years, contrary to some peoples beliefs, nice machining only counts for beauty queens unless that machining is on a surface that counts. I have found pretty much everyone makes good quality parts, and as others have said, barrel and trigger are keys.

I find myself gravitating more towards Windham Weaponry, their prices are good, they ship immediately, and they sell the same parts they use to build their rifles, which they offer a lifetime warranty on........... Your call.

#31 ·
Bought from a ton of different vendors over the years, contrary to some peoples beliefs, nice machining only counts for beauty queens unless that machining is on a surface that counts. I have found pretty much everyone makes good quality parts, and as others have said, barrel and trigger are keys.

Ever looked close at the sear surfaces on one of those PSA 'polished' and coated triggers?

Perfect example right there of PSA false advertising...

#33 ·
Don H: What would be the most common AR parts needed for repairs?
As a former Army SF Weapons Sergeant (MOS 18B), I carried an SOP small AR/Pistol weapons parts kit to the field. I used a standard USGI nylon ALICE cleaning kit case for that purpose. It held nothing else but small gun parts and a few small tools (brass/nylon hammer, micro needle nose pliers, drift punches, screw driver set, mini hex/torx bit set for optics or gas key, jeweler's files, Leatherman tool, emory cloth, armorer's wire, spare Aimpoint optic battery cap, pressure tape pad & cable, weapon light bulbs, ruptured cartridge extractor, AR wrench, etc.). I was expected to complete minor fixes and repairs to detachment weapons while out on the ground. Which meant that I carried a few small spare parts for pistols as well.

All of that stuff fit inside that 3-snap pouch. I maintained a second pouch for my personal weapons cleaning kit.

In small zip-locked parts bags (pill bags), I carried complete AR small parts & spring/pin/detent kits, plus one entire BCG (ready to fire), and a new charging handle assembly. Besides parts for a trigger housing / fire control group, I had a few spare front & rear sight parts, gas rings, and replacement screws/washers for things like optics, rails, pistol grips, or fixed butt stock. I carried no spare furniture or other larger items like buffers, buffer springs, rail components, optic mounts, or slings. Just small stuff. The two biggest things were the BCG & the Charging Handle Assembly.

Honestly, I rarely had need for any of it, as our AR pattern rifles/carbines (M16A1, M16A2, M4A1) rarely failed. The most common occurrence was some team mate dropping & losing a tiny part while he had his weapon disassembled. Try finding a tiny missing pin after it's fallen into the forest floor in the middle of some MSS (Mission Support Site) or patrol base. Even that was exceedingly rare, 'cause guys take meticulous care with their bullet launchers. An upturned patrol cap or boonie hat is a good location to place disassembled parts.

I carried a separate spare AR firing pin but can't ever remember needing it.

Thus, based upon my observation of hard use guns over the years, the 3 most critical AR parts (or assemblies) I'd carry would be the ones most likely to go down while firing or get lost by some cone head during disassembly:

1. 1 x complete Bolt Carrier Group (Bolt, Bolt Carrier, Firing Pin, Extractor & Ejector)
2. 1 x complete (2nd) Extractor Assembly (extractor, spring, spring insert, retaining pin, & O-ring)
3. Spare BCG Pins: 1) Firing Pin Retainer Pin (bolt carrier cotter pin) & 2) Extractor Retention Pin. A couple of each.

Next most likely culprits for replacement would be replacement screws for mounted accessory optics & bulbs or O-rings for combat lights.

Over a decade ago, I purchased a DPMS-made AR field repair parts kit that includes the most likely (but only infrequently) needed small items. I've yet to dip into it, but it's piece of mind for not a lot of money. Similar to this one:

http://www.dpmsinc.com/The-Ultimate-Repair-Kit-AR15_p_204.html

I agree with buying premium parts when it comes to spare BCG for a defensive weapon. BCM or Colt components are what I choose to use.

Just my $.02 & I hope that helps...

#37 ·
As a former Army SF Weapons Sergeant (MOS 18B), I carried an SOP small AR/Pistol weapons parts kit to the field. I used a standard USGI nylon ALICE cleaning kit case for that purpose. It held nothing else but small gun parts and a few small tools (brass/nylon hammer, micro needle nose pliers, drift punches, screw driver set, mini hex/torx bit set for optics or gas key, jeweler's files, Leatherman tool, emory cloth, armorer's wire, spare Aimpoint optic battery cap, pressure tape pad & cable, weapon light bulbs, ruptured cartridge extractor, AR wrench, etc.). I was expected to complete minor fixes and repairs to detachment weapons while out on the ground. Which meant that I carried a few small spare parts for pistols as well.

All of that stuff fit inside that 3-snap pouch. I maintained a second pouch for my personal weapons cleaning kit.

In small zip-locked parts bags (pill bags), I carried complete AR small parts & spring/pin/detent kits, plus one entire BCG (ready to fire), and a new charging handle assembly. Besides parts for a trigger housing / fire control group, I had a few spare front & rear sight parts, gas rings, and replacement screws/washers for things like optics, rails, pistol grips, or fixed butt stock. I carried no spare furniture or other larger items like buffers, buffer springs, rail components, optic mounts, or slings. Just small stuff. The two biggest things were the BCG & the Charging Handle Assembly.

Honestly, I rarely had need for any of it, as our AR pattern rifles/carbines (M16A1, M16A2, M4A1) rarely failed. The most common occurrence was some team mate dropping & losing a tiny part while he had his weapon disassembled. Try finding a tiny missing pin after it's fallen into the forest floor in the middle of some MSS (Mission Support Site) or patrol base. Even that was exceedingly rare, 'cause guys take meticulous care with their bullet launchers. An upturned patrol cap or boonie hat is a good location to place disassembled parts.

I carried a separate spare AR firing pin but can't ever remember needing it.

Thus, based upon my observation of hard use guns over the years, the 3 most critical AR parts (or assemblies) I'd carry would be the ones most likely to go down while firing or get lost by some cone head during disassembly:

1. 1 x complete Bolt Carrier Group (Bolt, Bolt Carrier, Firing Pin, Extractor & Ejector)
2. 1 x complete (2nd) Extractor Assembly (extractor, spring, spring insert, retaining pin, & O-ring)
3. Spare BCG Pins: 1) Firing Pin Retainer Pin (bolt carrier cotter pin) & 2) Extractor Retention Pin. A couple of each.

Next most likely culprits for replacement would be replacement screws for mounted accessory optics & bulbs or O-rings for combat lights.

Over a decade ago, I purchased a DPMS-made AR field repair parts kit that includes the most likely (but only infrequently) needed small items. I've yet to dip into it, but it's piece of mind for not a lot of money. Similar to this one:

DPMS Firearms | Remington Outdoor Company

I agree with buying premium parts when it comes to spare BCG for a defensive weapon. BCM or Colt components are what I choose to use.

Just my $.02 & I hope that helps...
While you didn't need parts in field did the weapons get things replaced when back at unit's armory?

#35 ·
I've found that for lower parts, White Oak Armory is my favorite. Because you can order the lower parts kits and remove parts you don't want, or add parts you want extras of. So you can remove the trigger if you're going with a fancy trigger, same with the grip, or add some extra detents or springs for when they pop out and go flying. Takedown springs are 50 cents, so you can add a few to the order. Good quality parts, and the price is good too.

For my last build, I got all the lower parts from WOA except the grip (I had a magpul), trigger (I got a Geisselle from somewhere else), and bolt catch (I got a POF somewhere else) and the WOA parts were about $30.

Or you can just order individual parts. https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/sh...ts/make-your-own-lower-parts-kit-trigger.html

If I'm looking for something special, like a grip or buffer or something, lately I've been shopping at Joe Bob's. Their prices are good and their shipping time is great. https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/

For bolts I always go to Primary Arms. If you're a vet/leo/first responder you can get a 10% discount. And a Daniel Defense bolt (not the whole BCG) is like $60 at PA. Combine that with a PSA carrier, and put the PSA bolt in your pistol grip and you have a great BCG + a spare bolt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.