Survivalist Forum banner

Folding shovel

7K views 34 replies 24 participants last post by  puttster 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a good folding shovel. A nonfolding shovel is far too big to be practical. What's a good one to look into? I'd like it to be durable and able to make small work of bigger jobs (bathroom sites, fox holes, sleeping holes, etc)

#24 ·
If you are relying on your shovel, and you may really need too, don't use it as a beater.

Last count I have 5. One is an old WW2 (?) with a pick on one side. They are hard to find.

It maybe a good idea to sharpen one side to use as a chopping tolls if conditions require it. I have them in all my vehicles also. I also have a hatchet and a file or two with it. I must admit one needs attention since I was gifted it.

I have tools and vehicle repair items in my SUV.

#5 ·
I had a crappy tri-fold china knock off, bent the POS trying to get my Land Cruiser off an ice Berm. Bought a USGI wood handled folder with the pick. It has earned its place on my INCH cart. I will also be hauling a boy's ax, a buck saw, a draw knife and a auger drill bit with a peg maker - all used to build a bear/cougar resistant trapper's cabin. I think asking a shovel to be an ax, saw, knife isn't a good plan.

https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-folding...MIsfTujLbw2wIVAqvsCh0G8wc1EAMYAiAAEgLRl_D_BwE

added Yea that 1951 model is what I have.

#7 ·
I have the Glock folding shovel . Super compact and light weight and also has a usable wood saw in the hollow handle . I know quite a few guys that carry a shovel around in their packs but not me , seems like a lot of unnecessary work to me . I keep mine in the truck in case I get stuck . If I'm in a location where I have to do some digging then I am in the wrong location .

#9 ·
Better have a day or two to dig a real foxhole with any mini shovel. In Nam we were supposed to dig a foxhole every night, but we stopped humping about an hour before dark, and had one shovel for about every 2-4 guys. So, our "foxholes" were actually depressions that would only protect one out of every 3-4 guys.

That said, one of the versions of the GI entrenching tool is the way to go.

#23 ·
I actually came across that one last night and liked the idea of a pick. Having done mass gardening before it definitely struck me as useful. I loved my pickaxes for loosening soil. I plan on adding a nice full size shovel to my shelter but also want the carry one as well. Never know when ya might need to poo when shtf

#26 ·
I keep the Cold Steel shovel in the jeep. It works but the truth is, none of these short shovels work as well as a regular shovel. You have to get down on your knees, then you can't step on it, and it's a PITA to scoop up dirt or snow to move it.

You could, in a pinch, remove the handle and cut off a limb to make a long handle.

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-92SFS-Special-Forces/dp/B008TSPSZM

#34 ·
I would only get them with a wood handle and a pick on it.

I have a 1965 german army folding shovel, the best thing that ever happened was the handle broke while I was overworking it, which I replaced with a hickory handle thats about 6 inches longer. So much easier to use!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.