Survivalist Forum banner

Extreme Perimeter Control

2K views 32 replies 26 participants last post by  Norshore 
#1 ·
Ok, I'll try to a long story short. I have new neighbors that moved in next door to me about 2 weeks ago that I have not yet had the opportunity for the wife and I to introduce ourselves to. Today I was cleaning weeds from my fence and fence line. They have a cinder block wall about 6 feet high across the back of their property. As I worked along my fence line I noticed something odd. I saw an empty bag of morter mix and a box of broken glass bottles on the ground. Across the top of the wall I see this.
I have no problem with this but I can't wait to finally meet them and find out what's up.
Looks like the only people that moved in are a woman, probably late 30's, and a young lady, maybe early 20's of Hispanic orgin. Probably mother and daughter.
Kinda reminds me of booby traps from Nam.
Interested to hear some opinions.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#5 ·
My first question is

Who's wall is it?

Option one, their wall, Nothing to do with you, if my neighbors want to stack up crushed cars chained together on their side of the line, good for them.

Option two, shared (on the line) a little more concerned, but they do own half of it. My feelers go up but I do not feel that I need to get a restraining order or anything like that.

Option three, that's my wall, get that crap off of it unless you own tigers or something like that. I would need to talk to them right away if they did that to my wall.

You should talk to them, soon.

Maybe they have a good reason to suspect that someone will be attacking them from your side of the wall, if they are on someone's list, if they have a good reason to do that, I would want to know so I could decide to either aid or not in their perceived concern about danger to them coming over the common wall.

It may be as simple as the last person to live there warned them about you and talking to them would calm them down (or not).

It may be a death threat they recently got from a gang member that you would want to know about, it may be that they heard about a mountain lion or raccoon that was in the area, but in any event, talking to them would give you better information than you have now.

Go say hi to your new neighbors, bring them a pie, welcome them to the neighborhood, it looks like they are planning to stay, better to have them as friends than something else.

Go now, drive over, jumping the fence in back to drop in is probably not a good idea at this point in the game.

#7 ·
I'll also add that on the other side of me lives a retired military K-9 trainer with 2 trained security dogs along with 4 chihuauas. I have two chihuauas that will sound the alarm in tandem if anyone so much as opens my gate. Also the new neighbors have what looks like an Alaskan Malamute.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

#8 · (Edited)
The glass is ugly but effective.

I went with these at my house on the rolling gate at the back of the house and on the wall around the back half acre. The rest of the property is cyclone, wire, and cholla cactus on the perimeter.

The rolling gate is mostly hidden in my wife's lilac bushes. The top of the concrete wall is plainly visible for visual deterrent.

Reactions: TENNGRIZZ
#9 ·
That's a standard hispanic practice. That and window bars. The window bars are so common where I live that they are considered jewelry for the house and are quite artistic and attractive. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have always wondered why bottles instead of steel spikes. I see spikes occasionally, but bottles are more common. They're not very effective since they can so easily be dulled.

#18 ·
Maybe your jammies inflicted the psychological wounds? I know I wounded some JWs some years ago when I answered the door with a doberman, a Glock, and my boxer shorts. There is something to be said for chit chatting in underwear when you don't want to chit chat. :thumb:

Reactions: Hound Dog
#20 ·
some of that is designed as an intent modifier.

Glass and spikes on a fence when crossed raises the intent of those to be negative, so they may feel better about dealing harshly when discovered.

A lot of time a group will toss a ball over a fence then claim innocence when surveying the property if discovered. I dont think anyone would cross a spike fence for a ball.

The days of "The sandlot" are over.

#21 ·
When I bought the house it had burglar bars on the front window, and door. But there are 9 other windows on the house. We took them off (the bars) and when our house was robbed, they did come in through the front door (but it was crappy anyway).

There is a window right next to the front door, really bad design. I wasn't thinking much about security when I bought it or I wouldn't have chosen this house. Even if we had the bars up still, all it would take is someone breaking another window (it is all one story) and getting in.

A friend has the burglar bars that go inside the windows, there is a pedal you push to get them out of the way and you can evacuate in a fire.

When I lived in CA there was a case in East Palo Alto, where, I believe, 9 members of a family and their dogs all died during a fire because of the burglar bars. The family couldn't get out, the front and back door were blocked by flames, and the bars kept the fire department out too.

They (the FD) said it was awful listening to the screams as they all died horribly. I am sure they had PTSD after that.

#22 ·
Yea, you could breach the glass with a carpet or couple comforters. You can defeat razor wire like that too. Most burglaries or break ins are just not all that organized. Can't picture someone carrying a carpet around trying to tresspass.

If they were my neighbor I would ask if they want to continue that wall around my yard so they have double the protection! :thumb:

#28 ·
Unfortunately ... WE are turning into a 3rd world country due to the liberal progressivism and illegal "immigration". So we will see more and more of this type of thing. 3rd worlders live in constant fear due to not having the freedoms that WE are in the process of giving away or letting them be taken away!

#25 ·
I only see a problem for the cats in the neighborhood. They might get cut up trying to walk on top of the wall.

But a good owner should keep them inside, like I do.

#29 ·
The practice is used all over Africa to. I took an evening job as a bouncer while the fleet was in at a combination bar, whorehouse in Mombasa. The owner saw me breaking up a fight while I was stuck on SP duty and offered me the job which came with some nice benefits. The owner showed me the broken bottles on top of the walls and said that the real trick was to leave grain in the broken bottles. That would cause the pigeons to crap on the walls which caused them to be slick as well as sharp and would most likely mean that someone who got cut was in for pretty bad infection.
Good for your neighbors for using a tested and cheap security system. If more people would add bars to their doors and windows there'd be less theft and I could make some money welding.

#31 ·
Good for your neighbors for using a tested and cheap security system. If more people would add bars to their doors and windows there'd be less theft and I could make some money welding.
Yes, but the third world way might not work well in the U.S. Outside window bars are easily defeated by tearing them off with a rope and an ordinary pick-up. It is better, I think, to use the bars inside the window, and the bars better be massive and of hardened steel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.