Survivalist Forum banner

Repel and Mark Dogs without Killing or Maiming

8K views 115 replies 40 participants last post by  DG23 
#1 ·
I love dogs however my wife and I keep a meticulous yard. We live in a subdivision that requires dogs to remain on their property or on a leash. Not everyone follows this rule. Some turn dogs loose to relieve themselves and they come to our yard. I do not like this but my wife is highly p…

As a child I had a dog poisoned and watched him die. I will not put out poison. I will not shoot the dogs except I have considered using a pellet gun.

My most recent idea is some type of paint spray with a triggering system.

Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.

#72 ·
I don't know if you would get arrested for pepper spraying a dog that wasn't threatening you but, if you don't go to jail for it, this seems an excellent idea. Spray them once or twice and then just spray your yard; the dogs will likely cross the street before passing your sidewalk.

#3 ·
If legal in your area, pepper spray. Don't spray into the wind.

See if animal control will do live trap or catch it/them if you call... and ticket the irresponsible owners for violating the leash law or failing to pick up the dog waste. You might have to call law enforcement, or they might be dispatched with animal control. Photos or video would be nice.

Sometimes the high-pressure sprinklers scare/repel dogs, so maybe some could attached to motion/proximity detectors.

Or if you know who owns the dog(s) or can figure it out, you could try talking to them first and see if they'll cooperate. They may not realize how rude this is, and you might end up with some good neighbors :)

If you belong to HOA, perhaps the issue of dogs running loose and peeing/pooing on other people's property could be brought up... if it's happening to you, it's probably happening to others in the neighborhood.

#6 ·
Personally I would buy a super soaker, fill it with water (or food coloring/non-toxic kids paint and water if you like) and spray the heck out of them if they come onto your lawn. I have used that on my dogs occasionally, it also works well on rattlesnakes. You can easily hit them from 20+ ft away.

If they are just pooping on your lawn DON'T unload pepper spray in their face. That is just horribly cruel and painful especially since they aren't being viscous, they don't even realize what they are doing is wrong. So many people are so freaking cruel for little or no reason. At most spray it on the ground in front of them, they will sniff it and likely leave asap.

#11 ·
Around here all it takes is a timestamped picture of the dog not under control and not on its own property to get the owner a $300.00 fine. One call to animal control and they will come pick up the picture and issue the citation.

I had some next door neighbors at one time that refused to use a leash OR supervise their garbage mutt and I gladly cost them a small fortune. They moved someplace else in short order.

Cant believe they spent the money (on multiple fines) they did on their mutt instead of just buying a leash after the first fine but... Some people are just really dumb.

Or... Get yourself a bigger and meaner dog and use that to keep crap out of your yard. :)

#14 ·
I second the motion sensing sprinkler... had that problem with 4 legged and 2 legged creatures walking across my lawn when I owned a corner house... the sprinkler took care of the problem pronto....

#21 ·
I had a rabbit problem with them invading my vegetable garden. Solution was for me to pee in the areas they may come in under my back fence. Also outside of the garden area.

My local garden center used to carry 12 ounce bottles of bobcat urine and cotton swabs on sticks, from what I read on the label it was good for deer, rabbits and other small critters.

A friend of mine, his next door neighbor has a meticulous yard, front and back. I've met him a few times, nice guy. He had an issue with another neighbor's dog whizzing in his yard and spotting up his lawn, so he goes out and gets a product, believe it was Doggy No No. He sprays it around the perimeter of his yard. A few days later his neighbor's dog is dead shortly he comes back inside.

The friend makes no connection between the dog's death and the spray. A few months later the guy gets another dog, same size as the first, a borderline live-bait size. After a few days, the friend is finding discolored spots on his lawn, so out comes the spray again. In a matter of days, this new dog is dead as well. The spray must be real powerful against smaller dogs. I don't know if he threw it out or still has it.

#22 ·
I use crushed red pepper or cayenne on or around anything I don't want the dogs into

If its a problem dog, go after it with an umbrella and open it while you have eye contact.

I have issues with a neighbors dog.....it's across the way

That little sob barks at me all the time.....like for years now(it's not like he doesn't know me)

He won't come close and if I head towards him, he retreats to his own yard and hides.

I've been nice so far but it's becoming time for him to receive a .17 caliber lead injection from Dr. Benjamin

#23 ·
Another option is a fishing line tripwire. Run a fishing line a few inches in from the edge of the lawn and hook it up to a mouse trap with ring caps (like for cap guns, don't buy the strips). It is good to have the traps/snap caps and fishing line around for SHTF events too as a $10 offgrid alarm system.

The loud "pop" would likely send any dog that tripped it running, course if it happens in the early morning your neighbors might not be too impressed. I wouldn't use it if you live on a busy street, you sound like a decent person (unlike some) and wouldn't want to scare a dog so badly he ran into traffic and got hit.

#24 ·
I wouldn't use it if you live on a busy street, you sound like a decent person (unlike some) and wouldn't want to scare a dog so badly he ran into traffic and got hit.
A stray dog that is roaming? If he gets hit by a car that is the owners problem for not keeping their animal under their control and supervision.

I can understand having concern for someones car being damaged or a 'person' possibly having a collision because they swerved to avoid hitting a stray but concern for the 'stray' - Heck no.

Stays that I 'know' who they belong to get a picture of them taken and turned over to animal control with their owners address and they get to pay a nice little fine - If I don't know who owns them as soon as that first paw hits my yard / property they get a pair of Dobermans turned loose on them. If that stray gets 'damaged' somehow in that process he is less likely to return.

#34 ·
#28 ·
Go to tractor supply get a large dog trap. Put in your yard. Bait it with canned dog food.
Catch dog call anilam control. It the. Becomes the owners problem.

But then again depending what the dogs actually doing. Id lean towards just shooting it if you feel it might be a danger to you or your family

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.