Survivalist Forum banner

Would there be local gun stores if there were no Gun Control Act of 1968

747 views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  9111315 
#1 ·
So as not to side track a decent thread at http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=821594 I pose the question here, to wit

If there were no Gun Control Act of 1968, GCA , would there be any local gun stores / FFL dealers at all any more?

That is if firearms could be directly shipped to lowly peasants such as our selves with no need of an intermediary to shuffle some papers and collect a fee as is the current practice.

The question would be where could one try new firearms? Would gun shows be on the increase with manufacturers having regional sales teams that would attend shows and such? More manbe small private concerns would do this ...

#2 ·
I believe there would be both plenty of local gun stores and gun shows. Probably fewer stores than now, but one or more in most markets. And more gun shows, as border states would be able to buy.

People want the hands on and direct comparison that is not available with remote purchases. Of course, many would use the local stores and shows to help decide what they want, and then buy on line or catalog.

Just my opinion.

#3 ·
Some of us can remember when Sears, Western Auto, and local hardware stores sold firearms without NICS and other FFL requirements. I think that would have continued except they're out of business now. So probably other chain stores and sporting goods stores would pick up the slack just as we have now with Academy Sports, Walmart, Cabelas and such. Internet sales of guns would be more prolific. I don't know if Gun shows would be as great a thing as they are now but certainly the outdoor shows and craft shows and flea markets would be going strong. And buying across state lines would surely be easier.

#4 ·
There would be more guns sold as incidentals at farm and hardware stores I think, but the total number of guns sold yearly since 1968 would likely be vastly lower that what it has as interest would likely be less.

Most people it seems have more guns than they likely need because distrust of government. Had the government left things alone I doubt we'd be as well armed as we are these days.

#9 ·
Fewer gun stores (which almost universally suck and I don't even bother going into them.)

More gun shows/consignment shops/pawn shops.
... would be great. Less ****ty little shops with high prices and rude workers.
Fewer "gun stores" but more "gun sections" at your local True Value hardware store. Of course, the sales people would be as useful and knowledgeable as the vest guy at Home Depot.

Maybe there would be more Gunsmiths with a showroom. Those would be our gun stores.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.