Survivalist Forum banner

Has anyone moved to Mexico as part of their retirement plan?

11K views 103 replies 44 participants last post by  Vile Papist 
#1 ·
Has anyone here moved to Mexico to make their retirement income go farther?

On another forum I'm reading about a guy moving to Mexico as part of his retirement plan because his 401k came up a little short, is anyone here doing the same and if so please share your story.

#66 ·
some advice from somebody who is currently living in Mexico

First of all, some advice from somebody who is currently living in Mexico.

1. Ignore all the comments from people who have never been to Mexico or just went to Cabo once on vacation. They have no idea what its really like.

2. Do your research. Mexico is a geographically really big country and conditions vary widely from one place to another. There are also other countries that offer similar benefits as others have said that may or may not offer a better option for your particular requirements.

Those things out of the way, here is my take. While there are places to absolutely stay away from, like anywhere within 200 miles of the border, and the rural cartel controlled areas, there are other areas that are very safe by design. These places tend to be areas where foreign nationals congregate to enjoy the lower cost of living and friendly culture. To me, the biggest con from a "prepper" perspective is the lack of legal access to weapons to defend yourself. However, there is a simple solution that most people usually don't think about that doesn't really cost that much compared to what you are saving by living there as opposed to the US. That is simply to hire an armed guard to follow you around. You can contract with one of the state sanctioned security companies to have an armed guard for about $1000 US/month. I personally don't have an armed guard, I feel VERY safe in the part of Mexico I am in, I am just mentioning it as a viable option if a person was still concerned about that aspect. With that out of the way, lets explore some of the things that make Mexico VERY prepper friendly.

1. Because services are 2nd world quality, the culture is built around the expectation that they will not always be on. So houses are commonly built with large cisterns built in for when the water is off and other cultural/engineering differences that minimize the impact to daily life if public services are not available. And actually make prepping much easier and cheaper than in most 1st world situations.
2. The climate is warm to mild in most places lending to long growing seasons and little or no need for furnaces/stoves to keep warm.
3. Food and other basic supplies is very inexpensive almost everywhere, making your larder potentially twice as deep or more for the same money. And your ongoing cost of living is lower.
4. Despite all the crap that goes on with the cartels and political posturing, the political situation in Mexico is actually very stable currently. The likelihood of anyone upsetting the status quo and causing a geopolitical SHTF event is low compared to other places like the US.
5. Most regular Mexicans are incredibly friendly and helpful, with a culture of family unity. If you move there, be friendly to them and get "adopted" by the locals. Once you are accepted and considered part of their family, you can expect much more support and cooperation than most people you might ever have for neighbors in the US in any difficult situation that might arise.
6. While Mexico has some strict laws about a lot of things, many of them are summarily ignored. While there is much of the "corruption" in the policing that you may have heard about, the other side of that coin is that if you are friendly with the police and don't do stupid stuff, they will tend to be nice to you back and have very much an attitude of "live and let live" where you can pretty much do whatever you want as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. Yes, I have had to bribe the police...and yes it was the culmination of me doing something stupid;)
7. This is probably the most important thing to me, and something it seems a lot of people don't consider: options. Retaining my US citizenship, and an address (along with a certain level of supplies, ect) in the US, I have the option to jump a plane or ship and go back to the good old USA if things start going sideways in Mexico. While my prepper friends in the US a major earthquake simulation, I say "didn't feel that here, I am doing fine". If a major earthquake hits the area I am in in Mexico, I have plans and contingency plans for bugging out to my "home" back in the US. By frequently travelling and maintaining presence in both countries, I keep myself from becoming too attached to one place or the other, making it simple both practically and psychologically for me to "bug out" to the safer locale at the first sign of a problem that could affect my situation.
8. Healthcare. While good healthcare can be difficult to get in some parts of mexico, in most places you might want to go there is great care available for practically pennies. A walk-in consultation at a clinic will typically cost you about $1.75 (yes, you read that right...less than two dollars to see a doctor!), plus the actual cost of any supplies they use in the course of treatment including stitches, a cast ect. Most common medications including antibiotics, antivirals, and such are ridiculously cheap and can be bought over the counter without a prescription. Hospitals with all the latest gear are available, though of course the costs will of course be higher if you need more advanced care...but still so affordable that "regular health insurance" is not a thing in Mexico...there is no need as most people are able to just pay for anything they need out of pocket with even modest means. The only insurance people get is major medical for things like cancer treatment, major accidents, organ failure, ect. And with all that, the quality of care you get is typically much better than what I have experienced in the US.

There is probably some lesser points I have missed. But the bottom line for me is that while I considered it a gamble to move here when I started, looking back I feel it was one of the best decisions of my life.

#69 ·
... You can contract with one of the state sanctioned security companies to have an armed guard for about $1000 US/month. ....
Yeah, um, no thanks.

Self/home defense is a fundamental and non-negotiable survival prep.

Spending $1000/mo. to rely on a stranger to do it for you seems to be not as good of a solution, impractical for a family that is apart (unless you hire security for each person), and cuts deep into the proposed savings as the point of moving there. $12,000 per year for 1, or more for several guards, seems to me to defeat the purpose of the move.

While a nice amenity, I'd rather have my own firearms and right to defense.

#67 ·
I'd love to do the whole full-time RV thing myself. Possibly taking my pickup truck with canopy on the bed where my sleeping and surviving would take place and pull along about a 12' cargo trailer for my craft stuff, hobbies, work stuff to make money along the way.

There are tons of folks out there foregoing the monthly rent on brick and mortar houses along with all the taxes that go along with it.

A decent pickup with canopy and a cargo trailer with "Bob's Plumbing" painted on the side will give you plenty of stealth to park just about anywhere. Ladders on the roof of either will help to disguise your solar panels, heavily tinted windows on the canopy will keep the nosey ones from looking inside to see what's there.

Youtube is chock full of DIY camper ideas from Sprinter vans to truck canopies. A lot of full times post videos on what they've done to make it better.

While actual RV's are nice, it's like a flag saying "I'm a camper and I should be in a campground paying rent on a site. The answer to that would be Wal-Mart parking lots, national parks, truck stops, just about anywhere you would feel safe setting up..

Best of all, your BOV is always ready to go at a moments notice.

#84 ·
We have a friend that lived down there for 12 years. She wanted to retire early so moved down there at 55 an lived off a small inhertitance then moved back when her pension and Medicare kicked in. It worked well for her because she was healthy and active when she went nd came back to the States before she got too old and was still healthy.

#97 ·
Years ago met a woman that lived in Mexico half the year. She told me non-citizens could not buy property there, so instead they would buy 20 or 30 year leases on houses instead.

A few towns these days are run FOR ex-pats, their whole economy depends on americans or canadians that move there for retirement. They also supposedly have very nice long term care facilities at a fraction of the cost of the US where the clients are treated very well, often with basically their own attendant to take are of them, take them on walks, etc...

If the towns economy depends on vulnerable older retired foreigners they are going to be VERY careful not to let anything bad happen to them. One bad incident that made people feel unsafe could seriously damage their economy.

#89 ·
Retire in Mexico?

https://www.dailywire.com/news/24875/south-border-mexico-has-deadliest-year-record-ryan-saavedra

Mexico’s deadly drug war continues to tear the country apart as Mexican officials project that 2017 will be the deadliest year in the nation’s history since the government started releasing crime records two decades ago.

The Mexican government projects that by the end of 2017, over 27,000 will have died as a result of the violence that is fueled by drug cartels, The Dallas Morning News reported....

Twenty-seven of Mexico’s 32 states — including areas that are popular tourist destinations like Cabo San Lucas and Cancun — reported having major drug violence in 2017....

Interesting article. ;)

#92 ·
So what happens if you are in your retirement paradise in Guatemala, Mexico, or wherever, and some Hugo Chavez guy comes to power? Or the economy of the country you are in goes South, and the people and/or politicians look askance at all the gringos in their midst---blaming the Yankees for their country's problems?

Then it starts: restrictions on your movements. Special taxes on "foreigners". Freezing of bank accounts, confiscation of property. Outright expulsion.

There you are in some third-world country, in your senior years, and suddenly realize you are no longer welcome.

Don't expect the Marines to land and rescue you. And if you flee the country penniless, no lawyer in the world is going to be able to sue in any court to get your assets back.

#93 ·
богдан;17042810 said:
your belief. not all America is so free with its gun laws. there many countries that have easier more relaxed gun laws than some parts of America... your comparing a large chunk of a continent with 50 states to small countrie that are roughly the size of a state or smaller

and saying all of America,, you should be more specific because getting a firearm in California or NY Chicago DC ect, is a lot harder than most countries

The MOST restrictive stares (NY, NJ, Cali, and perhaps Taxachusis) are MORE FREE than the example.

...and I'd never CONSIDER living THERE!

The example was given as "relitively relaxed gun laws" and compared to EVEN THE WORST AREAS OF THE US WHERE I'D NEVER LIVE".... They are FAR FAR more restrictive.

many countries that have easier more relaxed gun laws than some parts of America...
Please cite, ("many") excluding Somalia etc where you may get a Technical, but no clean drinking water

#94 ·
We have a house in Mexico. It's not what people think from the movies. It's also not always cheap.

If I were to retire outside the US, I would go to Argentina or Chile. The south areas are just like Oregon or Alaska. The fishing is amazing and the people are very easy going.

Most importantly would be to do your research and try a trial run before moving there. Some people find they don't have the desire to change to a new cultural and way of doing things. Home sickness can be worse than being poor.

#95 ·
There are ex-pat communities, here is a video about Lake Chapala, a town in Mexico that has a large percentage of retired air-fairy liberal Americans.

In a societal collapse I doubt Mexico would be worse than many areas of America, and some areas would be much better. Firearms would be the issue, though I am sure illegal firearms could easily be purchased and stored, and a bribe might take care of any federalies that discovered them (but it might not, and no one wants to die in a Mexican prison).

Apparently that little town has seen an influx of retirees fleeing the current political climate, there are nice care homes and other facilities for them.

#100 ·
Panama allows ex-pats to own firearms, and there are no income taxes levied on ex-pat income.

Firearm must be sent to law enforcement so they can fire weapon, and record a
ballistic fingerprint.

Ex-pats also get special discount prices on many things like dining,taxi,airfares.

http://panamainfo.com/en/best-retiree-benefit-program-world-panama

#101 ·
retire to beautiful, sunny, Baja California where ...

Six bodies found hanged from bridges near Mexican tourist resort

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/21/americas/mexico-bodies-bridge/index.html

Four bodies were found in the municipality of Los Cabos, the other two near the state capital of La Paz. The bodies were found suspended from three bridges located near the two main international airports and the highways leading to the popular beach resort of Cabo San Lucas.
Apparently that's SOP in various parts of the third world.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.