Survivalist Forum banner

Lever action rifles: Do you trust the action enough to use for defense?

18K views 126 replies 64 participants last post by  Idaho Survivalist 
#1 ·
Ive never had a lever action rifle, but I saw a marlin that would shoot 357/38 calliber and thought that would make a good "around the house" gun for varmints and robbers. I heard the action messes up alot on these guns but I have a feeling that its more of a myth, so how is your lever action working for you? Do you trust it enough to use as a go to gun?

#2 ·
Marlin 1894 in 357 is a hoot, only time I have had a problem is when a screw came loose. A drop of blue locktite will prevent and solved my problem. Try whatever ammo you need to be reliable first before trusting it for self defense.

Great little guns. Buy one and try it. You'll likely love it.

That said, unless you are prohibited by law there are likely better options, but I'd have no sleepless nights, if all I had was my little Marlin.

#3 ·
Other than a recent crappy Remlin Marlin 336Y, I havent really had any function issues with any of my lever guns. Most of those over the years have been Winchesters.

I always found the Marlins actions to be "rough", compared to the Winchesters too. I think that is just a function of the design with the Marlins.

One thing I always disliked about the lever guns is, they always feel like they want to pull out of your shoulder when you work the action, especially when done hard and fast. The newer plastic butt plates just seem to aggravate that too, especially if you're wearing a slick material.

I wouldnt have a problem with a lever gun I know worked OK, but truthfully, Id prefer a stripper fed bolt over the lever guns.

#4 ·
The issue with modern Marlins is that they aren't made the way they once we're...

Find a well loved JM stamped model and your opinion is likely to change.

If I had to give up all my rifles but one, it would be a tough choice between my early 80's Marlin model 60 and my early 70's model 336.

I would trust either with my life and my family's.

#6 ·
My mom killed her first deer with a buttery smooth Marlin 336 made in the 70s. Both she and I loved that rifle, but we had borrowed it from a friend and had to return it after season. Now I have a 1928 Winchester 1894 that is my baby. And while it isn't in the same class as an AR, AK, Mini-14 or even Mauser, I don't feel undergunned with it where I am.

I know first hand that it will handle any and all threats/animals out here. I shot the barrel out on the old girl, so now it doesn't hold a group very well, but I'm still comfortable shooting out to 150 Yards with it, and that's open sights.
Back when I first got it, I was shooting a 16" steel plate at 350y with it. Factory ammo, too.:thumb:
I've shot a coyote at 250, too.

It wasn't the AR that won the west.

#127 ·
lever guns for defense

I think it depends on where you live and in what kinds of defensive situations you are in. I though about that a few days ago. I live in a wooded region and if for some reason I had to vacate to avoid an authoritative force, I figure I would take a 9mm and a .30-.30 Winchester. I have had one lever rifle jam once in many years. Of course I can't carry as much ammo and I don't have a scope on it and I can't shoot as far. But in wooded areas, where I would travel to avoid detection, a small fast moving projectile would easily be deflected by limbs, but not nearly so much with a 158--174 grain bullet. And if I came across a black bear or a raging moose, I would rather have a big bullet. The 9mm would be for wolves and there are a lot of them now in the northwest.

And if by some chance I was stopped on the road by a state cop who got alarmed at seeing an AR or AK in a back seat, he probably would not be so alarmed with seeing a deer rifle, especially in the fall. AR's, with lots of bells and whistles are great for open areas but not in brush.

So guns for defense depend on what situation you most likely be in.

#14 ·
I trust my levers more than my semi-autos, which may be more reliable long term than my revolvers. Maybe not quite as much as some bolt actions, but definitely more than some pump action shotguns.

Where I live, there are plenty of black bears, grizzly, lots of wolves, cougars, coyotes and big moose, and even a few feral hogs. When I go out hunting, berry picking, exploring the bush around here I do count on my lever actions to possibly save my life.

Why would that be different whether I'm at home or out hunting?

Never had any trouble, that I didn't cause briefly.

#124 ·
I have a Henry Big Boy Steel in .38/.357. Its a fine rifle with a 20" barrel. The only functional problems I've had with it were when I first acquired it. If I worked the action slowly, it would jam nearly 100% of the time. So I stopped doing that. With the action worked quickly, it has been 100% reliable. Also, the Henry needs to be level or nearly so when operating the action. I added a Skinner peep sight. It's a fine shooter which I will use next deer season in Ohio. I will not be taking any shots with it farther than 75 or so yards.

#20 ·
I trust my lever guns! I used to shoot cowboy action and I'm well acquainted with their capabilities. A 357 mag Marlin 1894 would serve you well around your home. I have an 1894 in 45 Colt that I like to keep in the truck when I'm out cruising a lease or checking on deer camp. Lever action rifles have been used since 1855 for hunting, self-defense, and even in combat. The fact they are still being manufactured is a testament.

#26 ·
I have used levers as daily protection. Yes, they are reliable.
Marlins, Winchesters, Savages, ...even a Rossi if properly tuned.
I like the levers, just make sure they work well and you are set.
If I had to choose one, either a .45-70 or .35 Rem in Marlin would be my go to. Maybe 30-30 after that. .44 mag and .357 Mag are ok, just not the range or firepower.

re

#27 ·
If I can get all the BG's to just line up, I'll use my 45-70 and use less ammo... ;)

Lever guns are fine for SD/HD. Just like a pump shotgun action, it's slower than a semi, but still adequate. Sometimes enough, is enough.

Reactions: Palma
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.