Best .308 entry level semi - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 08-01-2020, 12:02 AM
VIP Member

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
Sucked in what way?

The PTR is built on actual HK machinery that was bought from Portugal when their military dropped the G3.

Granted the PTR's barrel is not of the same quality as the HK's but in the early days at least, pretty much the entire rest of the rifle was built with mil-surp HK parts..
That was my opinion. The fit and finish of the handguard and stock seemed cheap, as well as the rear sight assembly compared to what I had in the past. The roller locked bolt assembly seemed legit and all, I have to admit. Mind you, I may have been subconsciously prejudiced knowing it wasn't a true German HK rifle from Germany like I had back then. If you would compare the two side by side, maybe you'd agree with me. Maybe not. I still have lots of mags! LOL
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2020, 12:11 AM
Semper Fi

Thanked 17,680 Times in 5,493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budlite12 View Post
That was my opinion. The fit and finish of the handguard and stock seemed cheap, as well as the rear sight assembly compared to what I had in the past. The roller locked bolt assembly seemed legit and all, I have to admit. Mind you, I may have been subconsciously prejudiced knowing it wasn't a true German HK rifle from Germany like I had back then. If you would compare the two side by side, maybe you'd agree with me. Maybe not. I still have lots of mags! LOL
Like I said, if it was an early rifle ALL the parts aside from the receiver itself (produced on actual HK machinery) and barrel were HK produced mil-surp parts so not sure how anything could be of lesser quality.

Now I do agree the finish wasn't up to HK quality.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2020, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Nietzsche View Post
IWI GALIL ACE
In two 308 (7.62 NATO and 7.62x39).
Thats what I was going to say.

That Galil ACE in 308 is expensive but a real nice system. Still not great for mounting glass or terribly accurate however.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:06 AM
Space Force Recruit

Thanked 1,896 Times in 772 Posts

After owning a .308 AK, M1A, PTR-91 and DSA FAL my vote is for the PTR-91
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7.5x55 Swiss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2020, 09:14 AM
Space Force Recruit

Thanked 1,896 Times in 772 Posts

Quote:
Sucked in what way?

The PTR is built on actual HK machinery that was bought from Portugal when their military dropped the G3.

Granted the PTR's barrel is not of the same quality as the HK's but in the early days at least, pretty much the entire rest of the rifle was built with mil-surp HK parts..
This is somewhat inaccurate now. PTR Inc. no longer uses HK machinery to build their rifles. They invested in modern tooling to increase production right around the time they moved to SC. Many of the older rifles and all of the JLD Enterprises rifles were built using HK tooling, which is why the price of the rifles has risen significantly.

They would also use a lot of surplus parts in their rifles too to help keep the cost down but now they manufacture everything 100% in house.

Functionally, there is no difference in quality. I've got one of the older ones and one of the new ones and they both do the same thing, shoot the same crappy ammo and take the same furniture, are properly welded up, ect. The new one just took them less time to do it.
Old 08-01-2020, 03:40 PM
American fearmaker

Thanked 27,703 Times in 8,896 Posts

The M-14 family of rifles are the very best entry rifles into the .308/7.62 calibers that you could ever want. These rifles include the M-14, M-1A and M-21 sniper series of rifles. My personal favorite is the M-21 sniper rifles because I was trained to use them in Viet Nam. I trained with the M-14 in Basic Training and learned to love that rifle a little bit but my old sniper rifle stole my heart forever. I will always remember that rifle because of her strengths and how accurate she was.
The Following User Says Thank You to Herd Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2020, 05:50 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.5x55 Swiss View Post
This is somewhat inaccurate now. PTR Inc. no longer uses HK machinery to build their rifles. They invested in modern tooling to increase production right around the time they moved to SC. Many of the older rifles and all of the JLD Enterprises rifles were built using HK tooling, which is why the price of the rifles has risen significantly.

They would also use a lot of surplus parts in their rifles too to help keep the cost down but now they manufacture everything 100% in house.

Functionally, there is no difference in quality. I've got one of the older ones and one of the new ones and they both do the same thing, shoot the same crappy ammo and take the same furniture, are properly welded up, ect. The new one just took them less time to do it.
Hence why I wrote, "on the earliest rifles at least" in my post. Which was aimed at his assertion that there was some lack of quality in those HK mil-surp parts.

I am well aware that PTR currently makes almost everything themselves now.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:19 PM
μολὼν λαβέ

Thanked 4,434 Times in 1,802 Posts

The article makes good points.

It's easier (and to an extent less expensive) to get a AR-10 to be lights out accurate and to your liking. It also easier to mount a variety of optics to the AR-10.

Add in that you can drop a Franklin Binary trigger into the AR-10 and you have yourself some real fun yelling "covering fire"

Old 08-05-2020, 09:53 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,390 Times in 828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.5x55 Swiss View Post
After owning a .308 AK, M1A, PTR-91 and DSA FAL my vote is for the PTR-91
Years ago I had a greek made springfield armory marketed hk clone chambered in .308. It would take hk accessories like the collapsible stock and target trigger I added. I really liked the modularity of that firearm.

Another one I should have kept.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 25,812 Times in 8,004 Posts

I thought they’d include a Remington 740/7400....and then I remembered Remington sucks over the last two decades, and the bankruptcy.

Sure wish I had bought the Saiga back when it was under $300. I did get the $175 7.62x39, and $350 S12, though.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:05 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
I thought they’d include a Remington 740/7400....and then I remembered Remington sucks over the last two decades, and the bankruptcy.

Sure wish I had bought the Saiga back when it was under $300. I did get the $175 7.62x39, and $350 S12, though.
I always heard the saigas were pretty good but I've never had one and don't really know.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dutchmano1 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 11:09 AM
Survivor

Thanked 25,812 Times in 8,004 Posts

Could go for a BAR, as well.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:35 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
Could go for a BAR, as well.
People already tell me my m1 garand is too heavy for hooomans to carry.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dutchmano1 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 08:04 PM

M1A Buy once Cry Once.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:30 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by strikerc View Post
M1A Buy once Cry Once.
Yep, cry when you find out how much you paid for cast parts made in China.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 37,820 Times in 8,957 Posts

Quote:
Yep, cry when you find out how much you paid for cast parts made in China.
Back in the day, when the Norinco clone was the rage, Ron Smith was able to make them into decent rifles. They weren't that bad and when it comes to M14 plumbers, Ron is among the best.

My own M1A is a late 80s era. I did stop by a PHX-area LGS on Saturday. They had a PTR91 on the wall. Was tempted and oddly resisted to succumbing.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:45 AM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_HighCountry View Post
Back in the day, when the Norinco clone was the rage, Ron Smith was able to make them into decent rifles. They weren't that bad and when it comes to M14 plumbers, Ron is among the best.

My own M1A is a late 80s era. I did stop by a PHX-area LGS on Saturday. They had a PTR91 on the wall. Was tempted and oddly resisted to succumbing.
Yes the Norinco's were actually in-spec receivers and forged from what I recall.

My comment was concerning current production Springfield's.
Old 08-06-2020, 03:00 AM
Hail to the King, Baby

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herd Sniper View Post
The M-14 family of rifles are the very best entry rifles into the .308/7.62 calibers that you could ever want. These rifles include the M-14, M-1A and M-21 sniper series of rifles. My personal favorite is the M-21 sniper rifles because I was trained to use them in Viet Nam. I trained with the M-14 in Basic Training and learned to love that rifle a little bit but my old sniper rifle stole my heart forever. I will always remember that rifle because of her strengths and how accurate she was.
"Entry level" rifles don't cost $1,600-$2,100. that price is for upper level base guns.

Entry is more like a Diamonback DB-10, or a Century C308.

Flame away.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DisgruntledPatriot For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 09:30 AM
American fearmaker

Thanked 27,703 Times in 8,896 Posts

"Entry level" rifles don't cost $1,600-$2,100. that price is for upper level base guns.

Entry is more like a Diamonback DB-10, or a Century C308.

Flame away.

How much is your life worth? If you want cheap get a clone of a M-14 from China because most of them can be had for under $1,000. You aren't getting an expensive rifle when you think about it. You're investing, long term in your future so the value of the rifle goes way down in the long run. Heck a $3K rifle would not be unrealistic for a good entry rifle in today's situations and might cost even more in a few months.

Get them while you still can and while they're available because they are that good!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Herd Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 10:30 AM
Swift Justice = 2950fps

Thanked 38,878 Times in 9,456 Posts

I don’t understand the idea of buying an “entry level” rifle. It sounds like....”For right now, I’ll buy a POS. When I get used to it in a couple of days, I’ll go buy a good quality rifle.”

Why not just do your homework and buy a good quality rifle in the first place?
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulKersey For This Useful Post: