2019 F450 Ford Navigational System Lat Lon Coordinates - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 07-31-2020, 06:15 PM
Wile E Coyote, Genius.

Thanked 83,973 Times in 24,282 Posts

Advertise Here

You might take a look at this one.

https://www.amazon.com/YUGUANG-Suspe...6237233&sr=8-6

or a straight up GPS.

https://www.amazon.com/Navigation-Sa...6237696&sr=8-5
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2020, 06:15 PM
IRON ON COURAGE

Thanked 4,360 Times in 2,300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoOver View Post
Maybe the wrong forum but is there a simple hand held battery powered GPS with an easy way to see lat/lon on start up or at least a couple of steps?
You might want to look at the hiking/trail models from Garmin. Garmin also sells all terrain and overlander models for vehicles that often are driven off road like RV s and ATV s. Those are pricier but may have some useful topo map features and larger display.

I have an older GPS 12XL which is a simple, very reliable device, but very slow to acquire satellites, something to consider versus one stuck on the dash, powered on all the time having already acquired satellites.

As far as wrong coordinates, there are at least 3 different ways to read coordinates: degrees-decimal minutes, degrees-minutes-decimal seconds and degrees-minutes-seconds. Whatever your local agencies helicopter prefers, should be the default setting in your device.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2020, 06:31 PM
pog mo thoin

Location: Catskill Mountains New York Where The Thing What Must Never Be Mentioned Here Is Legal & Encouraged
Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
You might want to look at the hiking/trail models from Garmin. Garmin also sells all terrain and overlander models for vehicles that often are driven off road like RV s and ATV s. Those are pricier but may have some useful topo map features and larger display.

I have an older GPS 12XL which is a simple, very reliable device, but very slow to acquire satellites, something to consider versus one stuck on the dash, powered on all the time having already acquired satellites.

As far as wrong coordinates, there are at least 3 different ways to read coordinates: degrees-decimal minutes, degrees-minutes-decimal seconds and degrees-minutes-seconds. Whatever your local agencies helicopter prefers, should be the default setting in your device.

We have a total of three garmin hand helds in our trucks, two are of the same model but the model slips my mind at the moment.
All three had dead battery's when I went to get them.
On had what app[ears to have UTM's instead of lat-lons as I needed.
We are reviewing and correcting all these differencies currently.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:41 PM
IRON ON COURAGE

Thanked 4,360 Times in 2,300 Posts

The 90 degree USB charge cables are prone to wear out if they are flexed a lot. Just fixed my old Nuvi "battery problem" with a new charge cable.

Old 07-31-2020, 06:48 PM
Wile E Coyote, Genius.

Thanked 83,973 Times in 24,282 Posts

All the handheld GPS units I had positively ate batteries.

I show a GPS above at around $50 that is a simple plug in type.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,659 Times in 2,175 Posts

GET A MAP.

Or get a GIS printout map from the county GIS coordinator and preplot TRPs at useful points. Laminate it.

I have not met a medivac pilot that wouldn't fly to the woopie lights he sees - x miles y direction from "known point"/TRP.

Don't need a 9line and a Inverted Y LZ for a civilian bird. Most fly/flew miltary but that is not what they expect for local FD.

Find a paved road/parking lot every x miles and paint on the jumbo "H" and record the grids.
The Following User Says Thank You to neiowa For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2020, 08:35 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,337 Times in 771 Posts

Quote:
Jeepers our port is up under the dash, do I have to than bend down to read that?

Plus I/we are trying to avoid one more complicated thing glued to our dash board.
Well then get a cheap Garmin and a 12v power plug. Thats as simple as it gets except for map.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to spacemanspiff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2020, 10:17 PM
pog mo thoin

Location: Catskill Mountains New York Where The Thing What Must Never Be Mentioned Here Is Legal & Encouraged
Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
GET A MAP.

Or get a GIS printout map from the county GIS coordinator and preplot TRPs at useful points. Laminate it.

I have not met a medivac pilot that wouldn't fly to the woopie lights he sees - x miles y direction from "known point"/TRP.

Don't need a 9line and a Inverted Y LZ for a civilian bird. Most fly/flew miltary but that is not what they expect for local FD.

Find a paved road/parking lot every x miles and paint on the jumbo "H" and record the grids.
Well that is exactly what we've done, we dug out an old topographical map of our district that a member whom was a surveyor grided out lat-lon lines on to.
We are making copies now.
We are in the New York City water shed, an area NYC rightfully stole years ago and build water reservoirs.
NYC is now in the process off stealing all the land around the reservoirs.
In a parking lot NYC paved for us I had painted a Big H.
Now NYC is crucifying me behind painting graffiti on their parking lot.
NYC wrote a nasty graham to our Town and County Supervisors and EMS Coordinator.

In separate News NYC Mayor DeBlazio has painted black lives matter on nearly every street in NYC.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:34 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 3,945 Times in 1,569 Posts

I have a 2018 F150 and it uses the same GPS. I ran across the lat/long selection, I believe you need to go into the NAV mode from the Home page. Once in NAV, look for a gear shaped icon (settings). I'm pretty sure I saw it there.

By the way, all the modes (music, nav, etc) have their own settings page. You can also access them from the steering wheel, but that's complicated to explain, at least for me.

Good luck. Worse comes to worse, stop at a Ford dealer on one of your runs back to the station.

Ya'll shoot straight and stay safe out there.

WW

WE ALL WANT TO BE FREE, BUT VERY FEW OF US WANT TO BE BRAVE. FOR ALL OF US TO BE FREE, A FEW MORE OF US, ESPECIALLY NOW, MUST BE BRAVE, AND THAT'S THE HISTORY OF AMERICA

K. R. Carleson - Navigator B-24J
The Following User Says Thank You to wldwsel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2020, 07:49 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,659 Times in 2,175 Posts

Quote:
Well that is exactly what we've done, we dug out an old topographical map of our district that a member whom was a surveyor grided out lat-lon lines on to.
We are making copies now.
We are in the New York City water shed, an area NYC rightfully stole years ago and build water reservoirs.
NYC is now in the process off stealing all the land around the reservoirs.
In a parking lot NYC paved for us I had painted a Big H.
Now NYC is crucifying me behind painting graffiti on their parking lot.
NYC wrote a nasty graham to our Town and County Supervisors and EMS Coordinator.

In separate News NYC Mayor DeBlazio has painted black lives matter on nearly every street in NYC.
It would certainly be "challenging" living in a state dominated by morons (as NYC). Perhaps send mayor dummkopf a personal response. http://www.reactiongifs.com/grandmas-f-you/
The Following User Says Thank You to neiowa For This Useful Post: