Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 06-16-2020, 11:22 AM

Default What can I say to those people?

Advertise Here

Some people believe that they can prepare for a nuclear war with gas masks and NBC filter.
But I don't think so.
What advice should I give them?
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2020, 12:22 PM
Off the grid

What is your native language?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...r-war-survival
The Following User Says Thank You to Expat47 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 01:03 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 29,423 Times in 10,254 Posts

Well its a start. Ground zero and their problems are over. Iodine pills might actually help, I am a firm believer in the placebo effect "If you think it works, half the time it will". Clean bombs vs salted dirty bombs, radiation down 10000 fold in 2 weeks vs 200000 years.

Nuke winter might make recovery very hard. EMP's could wipe out nearly everything with a chip.

I wouldn't spend tons of money on nuke preps, but information/tools with supplies in a sheltered place could help.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2020, 01:37 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 46,042 Times in 14,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagYeong View Post
Some people believe that they can prepare for a nuclear war with gas masks and NBC filter.
But I don't think so.
I am one of the RARE few on this forum who agree with you 100% and the answer is you can't tell them ANYTHING.
All you can do is encourage them to be ready for other disasters and hope for the best.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 01:42 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,814 Times in 597 Posts

The U.S. military conducts extensive training in NBC warfare and how to survive it. There are no guarantees that you will survive given your proximity and time exposure to a nuclear blast and the resulting radiation. But, having the proper PPE (Personal Protective Eqpt.) would go a long ways in improving your chances of surviving and remaining healthier. Along with any PPE that you may acquire, it is important to also gain the knowledge and training to properly use your eqpt. Basic PPE for NBC warfare would be a serviceable air tight gas mask and good filters. To mitigate damage to your body by radiation, you should stock some iodine tablets as stated by Charliemyer007. Also a disposable set of Tyvek hooded coveralls with rubber boots and gloves. During a radioactive incident of exposure, the filter type is not as important in that you are merely filtering out the ash and dust that would be carrying the radiation along with it, however in a chemical or a biological incident, you would need special filters that are designed to filter out the harmful chemicals or biological agents. Also, very important is to prepare a shelter with either a positive air pressure filtration system or to completely seal off a room. The more mass you can put between the radiation outdoors and where you shelter in place the better are your chances of reducing your exposure to deadly doses of radiation. That is why underground shelters are often the preferred method of being prepared. You can survive a nuclear blast, but there are some variables involved that will dictate if you will survive or not. The further away you are from the blast then the better off you will be. Also, wind direction will be a huge factor in that the winds will blow any fallout from the blast and the accompanying radiation along with it. If it blows the fallout in your direction, that will reduce your chances of surviving the event. Then it depends of how far away you are and how good your shelter is or if you can bug out and get away from the fallout.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to makobytes For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 01:53 PM
Business Owner

Thanked 3,520 Times in 1,360 Posts

Since none of us has experienced a nuclear war, you can't really give advice, only opinions. Just like the EMP threat. You could possibly be well prepared for a nuclear war with just gas masks and NBC filters, or even a fortified underground bunker might not be enough.

You would need to research the potential targets in your area, wind spread and what type of nuclear bomb would likely be used and what type of blast (Air-Burst, High Altitude, Ground-Burst, or Deep Earth) in order to design proper protection scenarios.
The Following User Says Thank You to BrianWorf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 05:33 PM
Trapper

Location: On a clear day, you can almost see Colorado to the west..

Too many variables in a nuke exchange

Are you near a military target?

Do you think whoever fires them off will actually hit their target.?

If you survive the first 90 days after a strike, you might have a chance
But a chance at WHAT?

Unless you live in a Cheyenne mountain Complex
Odds are not that good long term

I figure any town over 500 k population will get hit

All the nuke debris from Colorado Springs, Denver, AFB in Wyoming
Plus all the buried silos in western Nebraska/Wyoming
Throw in tinker afb in Oklahoma City and McConnell afb in Wichita
And Ft Riley in Junction City
Kansas is going to glow forever
The Following User Says Thank You to passin thru For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 08:58 PM
Emergency Manager

Thanked 4,466 Times in 1,757 Posts

Quote:
But I don't think so.
The best advice so far in this thread is to read the book Expat47 recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
Well its a start. Ground zero and their problems are over. Iodine pills might actually help, I am a firm believer in the placebo effect "If you think it works, half the time it will". Clean bombs vs salted dirty bombs, radiation down 10000 fold in 2 weeks vs 200000 years.

Nuke winter might make recovery very hard. EMP's could wipe out nearly everything with a chip.

I wouldn't spend tons of money on nuke preps, but information/tools with supplies in a sheltered place could help.
Iodine pills will only benefit you if you're eating contaminated food. It's a thyroid blocking agent, it does nothing else for you. No one deploys or stockpiles salted bombs. The 7:10 rule puts radiation down by a factor of 1000 in approximately 2 weeks, not 10,000. "Nuclear Winter" has been grossly exaggerated, it depends on wildly unrealistic modes of soot transport to achieve the necessary injection. Most of their models don't even model the transport. They just conjure the requisite amount of black carbon into existence in the upper atmosphere to achieve their desired cooling effects.

By and large, the preps for nuclear war are the same as for any grid-down/collapse incident. The additional concerns brought on by radioactive fallout are relatively short-lived and will only significantly affect relatively small areas. Yes, the areas around and downwind from large groups of hard targets (missile silos) will be challenging to survive without significant shelter and shelter times will be considerably longer than most other areas. But after a few months, they should be passable on foot and livable within a couple of years. That's not to say the risk posed by radiation in those areas will be zero, but the long-term health concerns posed by radiation, even in those hard-hit areas will be relatively small compared to famine, disease, lack of access to advanced medical care, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobytes View Post
The U.S. military conducts extensive training in NBC warfare and how to survive it. There are no guarantees that you will survive given your proximity and time exposure to a nuclear blast and the resulting radiation. But, having the proper PPE (Personal Protective Eqpt.) would go along ways in improving your chances of surviving and remaining healthier. Along with any PPE that you may acquire, it is important to also gain the knowledge and training to properly use your eqpt. Basic PPE for NBC warfare would be a serviceable air tight gas mask and good filters. To mitigate damage to your body by radiation, you should stock some iodine tablets as stated by Charliemyer007. Also a disposable set of Tyvek hooded coveralls with rubber boots and gloves. During a radioactive incident of exposure, the filter type is not as important in that you are merely filtering out the ash and dust that would be carrying the radiation along with it, however in a chemical or a biological incident, you would need special filters that are designed to filter out the harmful chemicals or biological agents. Also, very important is to prepare a shelter with either a positive air pressure filtration system or to completely seal off a room. The more mass you can put between the radiation outdoors and where you shelter in place the better are your chances of reducing your exposure to deadly doses of radiation. That is why underground shelters are often the preferred method of being prepared. You can survive a nuclear blast, but there are some variables involved that will dictate if you will survive or not. The further away you are from the blast then the better off you will be. Also, wind direction will be a huge factor in that the winds will blow any fallout from the blast and the accompanying radiation along with it. If it blows the fallout in your direction, that will reduce your chances of surviving the event. Then it depends on how far away you are and how good your shelter is or if you can bug out and get away from the fallout.
Once again, stable iodine only benefits you if you are eating contaminated food. The reason it's used for nuclear reactor accidents is that the plume from a reactor release is gas, vapor, and fine particulates which constitute a significant inhalation hazard. Nuclear weapon fallout is far larger (similar to sand) and is not a significant inhalation hazard. Potassium Iodide, or KI, doesn't mitigate damage to your body by radiation. Nothing does.

The most important concern when it comes to nuclear weapon fallout is shelter. Shelter, shelter, shelter. Even a basement will cut your dose by a factor of 10 to 20. You DO NOT need a shelter with positive-pressure ventilation for nuclear weapon fallout. As already stated, weapon fallout is like sand. If a structure can keep out sand, it can keep out fallout. You also do not need to, nor should you, seal off a room against fallout. It's unnecessary for reasons already mentioned and can cause a fatal build-up of carbon dioxide.

Also, you should NEVER bug out from, or through fallout. Unless you can accurately predict fallout spread, you run the risk of traveling right through a hot zone. Doing so could net you a fatal dose in some areas in less than an hour. Always shelter first.

Last edited by CONELRAD; 06-17-2020 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: Additional Info
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CONELRAD For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2020, 10:08 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,535 Times in 867 Posts

Iodine is a gas, so it’s equally a problem in nuclear explosions, and conventional explosions of a operating ( or recently operating) reactor. The increased energy of a nuclear explosion my send the iodine higher, thus spreading it farther, decreasing the dose per person, but for a large device, more iodine will be released during a nuclear explosion than in a reactor explosion- it’s basically the number of fissions- the power ( thermal) from the reactor in the previous 8 days vs the power released by the weapon ( in fission stages.)

Contaminated food isn’t a huge issue, contaminated air and water are. With a half life of 8 days, it would only be a Significant problem for fresh food ( and milk)
Old 06-19-2020, 11:44 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,266 Times in 417 Posts

I researched this. Most people think nuclear war is just an it is all over thing, but - not from what I can see, the fallout zones are not as large as people think, and the blasts are not like in the movies. Granted, not a good scenario - but, if you have some plan, you are upping your chances significantly.

I don't have a bunker, but if bombs start going off - I'm sure gonna see about getting one dug out right quick.
The Following User Says Thank You to film495 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2020, 02:00 AM
Shill for the Federal Gov

The thing I say to folks who ask, or are the "Who cares I'm going to be or rather be dead" types is.....You will survive a nuclear conflict/incident. Congratulations!

Just like you're going to survive the Hurricane/Earthquake/Tsunami/Undead rising/Cubs winning the world series

Now that we know You will live through it , what are you going to do about it? Sitting there and waiting until you, your wife and children poo blood and go to sleep forever probably isn't a good idea.

Time-Distance-Shielding

Thats the most important thing to think about, beforehand preferably.

Theres some good advice here..All I can add is simplification.

1. Leave. Go away from that
2. Do not eat or breath fallout products
3. Shelter, If you got what it takes to ride out hurricane damage for a few weeks, you can probably lay low out of the way until help comes.

If you're a grown ass man...you'll probably be gifted on your 67th birthday with free cancer. KEEP small children and women who are or who can get pregnant out of that stuff...The effects are greater and sooner for them. Facemask and sealed googles to use while getting out or getting secure for them. Be able to rinse off, or at least leave clothing outside of your living space
The Following User Says Thank You to Herkemer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2020, 02:10 AM
Survivor

Thanked 25,664 Times in 7,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianWorf View Post
Since none of us has experienced a nuclear war, you can't really give advice, only opinions.
So....you donít read history or study anything?

Because, based on what I read in my studies, my opinion is pretty well informed by those that actually DID experience a nuclear war, and lived through it.

THEIR opinions should carry some weight, doncha think? Based on those opinions based on real world experience...one can offer advice, even if one wasnít there.

The reality is, guys that were within 500 feet of ground zero survived, some lived into their 80ís, and others died fast, but not fast enough to avoid the terrible effects of radiation.

But as people above pointed out...you need to reduce exposure as much as possible, and be smart about where you go, how you eat and drink, and things like cleanliness and sanitation of anything you contact.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2020, 07:52 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 23,434 Times in 6,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herkemer View Post
Time-Distance-Shielding

Thats the most important thing to think about, beforehand preferably.

Theres some good advice here..All I can add is simplification.

1. Leave. Go away from that
2. Do not eat or breath fallout products
3. Shelter, If you got what it takes to ride out hurricane damage for a few weeks, you can probably lay low out of the way until help comes.
Actually....

Unless you have advanced notice of where and when....shelter is the first priority.

Even an imperfect shelter is vastly better than being caught without shelter while you attempt to flee.

What do you tell them? Tell them to read this:

https://www.oism.org/nwss/

It's the bible of nuclear war survival. And the first thing it addresses is the false belief that nuclear war cannot be survived or is not worth surviving.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2020, 09:35 PM
Business Owner

Thanked 3,520 Times in 1,360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
So....you donít read history or study anything?

Because, based on what I read in my studies, my opinion is pretty well informed by those that actually DID experience a nuclear war, and lived through it.

THEIR opinions should carry some weight, doncha think? Based on those opinions based on real world experience...one can offer advice, even if one wasnít there.

The reality is, guys that were within 500 feet of ground zero survived, some lived into their 80ís, and others died fast, but not fast enough to avoid the terrible effects of radiation.

But as people above pointed out...you need to reduce exposure as much as possible, and be smart about where you go, how you eat and drink, and things like cleanliness and sanitation of anything you contact.
I stand by what I said. I do study history a lot. However, my opinion based on what is recorded from events that happened over 70 years ago is just that - opinion.

The actual events of atomic war were a uranium gun bomb and a plutonium implosion bomb - something unlikely to ever be experienced again with the advent of multi-stage nuclear bombs, hydrogen bombs, neutron bombs, salted cobalt bombs, etc.

It is like trying to give advice about a modern gun battle using info from the revolutionary war and flintlocks. True, some advice is going to be the same, but to think you can glean everything needed to know from the 1945 detonations and apply to current times is not logical.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:58 PM
Texas chooses people.

Thanked 2,482 Times in 1,120 Posts

Just smile, and pat them on the heads.
People are going to believe what they wish. And sometimes, when we try to imagine the very worst scenario, such as what you allude to, whatever brings them comfort...
When I was going through my fire training (long time ago), I remember one thing that an old seasoned firefighter told me, "when you are trapped by the dragon (fire inferno), and all exits are lost, pull down your mask and breathe in the dragon".
I've seen the after effects of many firefighters that lived through bad fires, with most of their skin gone, there are things worse than death.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:14 PM
Shill for the Federal Gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
Actually....

Unless you have advanced notice of where and when....shelter is the first priority.

Even an imperfect shelter is vastly better than being caught without shelter while you attempt to flee.

What do you tell them? Tell them to read this:

https://www.oism.org/nwss/

It's the bible of nuclear war survival. And the first thing it addresses is the false belief that nuclear war cannot be survived or is not worth surviving.
Actually, leave the first second you have a chance to leave. Until then, yeah, shelter up.

Spent a lot of time in Submarines so I have the ole Contamination accident thing and the other thing with other things I'm not supposed to talk about until I'm 130. I also did one enlistment in the Army Infantry and know the whole drop face away thing.

Its pretty simple. And you will live even if you do not give a shizz.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,592 Times in 2,143 Posts

One of the major (and few) wins of the KGI was totally brainwashing of the braindead Antinuc/peacenic crowd to do the bidding of Moscow. From nuc power to Pershing II/GLCM it was amazing the results the achieved. Total manipulation of the demtard party for decades.

YOU might not survive a limited or full scale nuclear exchange but many many people would, either by chance or intent/planning. How you'd live during the following years is critical and all about prior planning.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:49 PM
Ingloriously Deplorable

Thanked 7,127 Times in 2,095 Posts

Thanks to Conelrad, Herkimer, Neiowa, Expat and others for pointing people in the right direction.

Me, I'm the outlier. Best procedure for surviving NucWar2.0 is don't ****in' be there
I learned at least that much in my time with The Green Machine.

At one point in my career I was merely a self-mobile canary without a cage. Nothing more than self-propelled cannon fodder and my training was simply adequate for the task at hand. It was by no means "extensive". My compadres who were a bit deeper down the rabbit hole and did more things than I did they also cannot talk about to this day were likewise trained. It was merely adequate to the task and we all knew what the odds were should things go sideways. Best case was it happens to some other poor ****er. Or, we'd get sick a little or a lot or, worst case we wouldn't even notice the big bright light that came before we we found ourselves standing tall before The Man.

My most memorable experience regarding that "training" was making it through a PT run in MOPP4 without throwing up in my mask. (you may assume that prior runs weren't successful in that regard) My second most memorable experience was being told the diluted nerve agents we worked with would still kill us dead so don't **** up LOL.

Others have already pointed out that a full positive pressure blast shelter rated to XX-PSI and fully stocked for XX months is largely unnecessary unless you live in or near a very small number of primary targets. This here is the 21st century and "we", the russkies, chinese and assorted ignoids with nukes don't fight WWIII with 9 megaton bunker/city-buster nukes anymore. Well, maybe they will, I don't think dot gov ever throws anything like that away but the "standard" fielded today is pretty small, kiloton range. Its probably more likely most people would be more likely to face a dirty bomb, sub-critical fizzle because their engineering sucked or a sub-kiloton little bang than "the big one". In those cases fallout/exposure is the greater threat. And panicked, stampeding city-folk, LOL.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockwell Torrey For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 12:06 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,196 Times in 1,840 Posts

Quote:
But I don't think so.
None. Just let them go. Even if they survived nuclear war, what would they do then? Probably come to you for you to save them from 1000000 other things.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post: