Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bull Market Bubble-Anyone Starting to Move Funds to Safety? WILL Financial Forum 81 04-04-2018 12:53 AM
Just starting out RogueHistorian New Member Introduction 16 02-18-2017 09:40 AM
Walther PPX M1 Pistols Starting at $259.89 wikiarms.com wikiarms.com 0 02-01-2017 05:38 PM
starting from scratch--what CANNED food should I store? craezie Food and water 64 01-18-2017 06:41 PM
My absolute TOP fire starting aids Vanishing Nomad Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 28 11-05-2016 06:38 AM

Old 11-27-2017, 08:30 AM
I love this Forum.

Default Starting a tribe?

Advertise Here

Anyone interested in starting a newbie survivalist group/tribe in Oklahoma? I'm no rambo so if you like to learn new skills and have an interest in this type of thing PM me.
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2017, 04:45 AM

Saw your post about starting a group in OK. I am located in OK as well and am always looking for like minded people. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of experience do you have and what kind of things are you prepping for?
The Following User Says Thank You to The24/7Pro For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2017, 06:00 AM
Survivor

Thanked 17,289 Times in 6,611 Posts

"What 24/7 says
Why should you be in charge?"

This is just an example of what we're facing with this sort of thing.

I've casually chatted with some in Ok.

There Is/was a casual get together group on another site that had breakfast once a month.

Short answer is a tentative maybe.
The Following User Says Thank You to swamppapa For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamppapa View Post
"What 24/7 says
Why should you be in charge?"

This is just an example of what we're facing with this sort of thing.

I've casually chatted with some in Ok.

There Is/was a casual get together group on another site that had breakfast once a month.

Short answer is a tentative maybe.
I would appreciate it if you asked me what I meant rather than take my question the wrong way. It has nothing to do with him (or her) being in charge. It was a simple question of what experience the person who started this thread has and a basic understanding of what they feel they need to prep for.

As an example of what I was trying to ascertain: If the person is an EMT then they have more medical based knowledge, if they are an Army Ranger then they have more tactical know how. If they are a banker just getting into prepping that is trying to learn skills from others that is also good info to have as well.

As far as what they are prepping for I feel like that isn't exactly privileged information. If they are prepping for an economic crisis and societal collapse that is EXTREMELY different than someone prepping for global thermonuclear and biological war. It gives a basis we can talk about more.

The TLDR version is simply: Don't put words in my mouth. If I was going to question someones authority or qualifications I would be more blunt.

Fair enough?
Old 12-09-2017, 08:00 PM
I love this Forum.

Oh yeah sorry it took so long to reply guys i've been out of town all week working. I'm not really looking to be the leader of anything really just trying to find like minded people and build a network of people with similar mind set. As far as what I can contribute, I come from a construction/mechanical background so I'm good with my hands I'm an electrician and before that I was a certified auto mechanic, So I can bring that skill set to a group I learn fast and also like to shoot so there is that. I'm not really a "prepper" to be honest my preps are minimal atm and I'm really more interested in building a skill set more than I am in hording ****. Though I do understand the need to have some food, water, and ammo put back for hard times.

My personal goals for a group would go something like

1 - find like minded people who work well together and avoid the too many chiefs/not enough indians dilemma

2 - define training objectives and focus on basic skill sets in different areas such as PT, Small unit tactics, Combat Casualty Care, Primitive Camping and the list goes on and on

3 - become self sufficient in as many ways as possible

The reality of my situation is that I have a very limited budget and time for this and want to focus on skill set and not gear it would be cool to find some people into the same **** I'm in to.

As far as the reason for this group it would basically be a group to train for civil war and societal/economic collapse there would be no religious requirement but a traditional western Judaeo/Christian value system is necessary. I'm not interested in being friends with any hardcore leftist/communist/liberal or any hardcore right wing racist/hardline nationalist or totalitarian groups. This would be a Constitutional/Liberty/Minimal Gov focused group
Old 12-10-2017, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
Oh yeah sorry it took so long to reply guys i've been out of town all week working. I'm not really looking to be the leader of anything really just trying to find like minded people and build a network of people with similar mind set. As far as what I can contribute, I come from a construction/mechanical background so I'm good with my hands I'm an electrician and before that I was a certified auto mechanic, So I can bring that skill set to a group I learn fast and also like to shoot so there is that. I'm not really a "prepper" to be honest my preps are minimal atm and I'm really more interested in building a skill set more than I am in hording ****. Though I do understand the need to have some food, water, and ammo put back for hard times.

My personal goals for a group would go something like

1 - find like minded people who work well together and avoid the too many chiefs/not enough indians dilemma

2 - define training objectives and focus on basic skill sets in different areas such as PT, Small unit tactics, Combat Casualty Care, Primitive Camping and the list goes on and on

3 - become self sufficient in as many ways as possible

The reality of my situation is that I have a very limited budget and time for this and want to focus on skill set and not gear it would be cool to find some people into the same **** I'm in to.

As far as the reason for this group it would basically be a group to train for civil war and societal/economic collapse there would be no religious requirement but a traditional western Judaeo/Christian value system is necessary. I'm not interested in being friends with any hardcore leftist/communist/liberal or any hardcore right wing racist/hardline nationalist or totalitarian groups. This would be a Constitutional/Liberty/Minimal Gov focused group
No problem on the response time, I think a lot of us get caught up with work more than we care to admit. I think the electrical, mechanical, and auto mechanic skills you outlined are essential to any group both before and after a crisis.

Liking to shoot is pretty much a given here in Oklahoma lol, but I'm glad you do as well.

Not having a ton of preps is nothing to be ashamed of, I know I don't have nearly as much as I would like either. The part you mentioned about wanting more of a skill set than hoarding crap is definitely true, there are a lot of people with lots of "stuff" but no idea how to use it. I see that anytime I go to a gun range.

As far as your points go:

#1 Very important everyone gets along. No sense trying to fight the people that are supposed to have your back. Especially if/when something bad goes down.

#2 I think defining training objectives and goals is good. Just so you get an idea of how I go off of what you mentioned:

A) PT should be based on military entrance requirements (not saying you have to get a perfect 300 but you should be able to run a mile in under 13-15min).

B) Small unit tactics is a large topic, but basically should focus on using what you have to the best effect. Aka starting with individual move and shoot drills into eventually doing 3 gun competition/NutnFancy run'n'gun courses of fire with multiple shooters. The goal being fast and accurate and safe.

C) Combat medicine is also a huge topic but should focus on stabilizing wounded fighters until they can be safely taken back to the main area where supplies and (hopefully) advanced medical equipment is.

#3 Yup. Gotta start somewhere, but self sufficient is the end goal for sure.

Like you said, the list goes on and on. Those are just my thoughts on what you put out there.

As far as the rest that sounds pretty much like how it should be and similar to what I and my friends and family are at as well. Feel free to PM me if you would like to chat offline.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The24/7Pro For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2017, 07:55 PM
Paratrooper X

Thanked 3,015 Times in 1,663 Posts

Sounds more like you want to start a militia
The Following User Says Thank You to rc508abn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc508abn View Post
Sounds more like you want to start a militia
Regardless of what you call it, do you think you would be better off with a group of relatively fit, medically trained, competent shooters (or) just some random everyday people that have a bug out bag and some rice?

I know which I would prefer if some big natural disaster or societal upheaval happened...
Old 12-11-2017, 09:05 PM
Paratrooper X

Quote:
Originally Posted by The24/7Pro View Post
Regardless of what you call it, do you think you would be better off with a group of relatively fit, medically trained, competent shooters (or) just some random everyday people that have a bug out bag and some rice?

I know which I would prefer if some big natural disaster or societal upheaval happened...
Well, good luck with it and getting it to stick.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Well, good luck with it and getting it to stick.
Thanks, but I'm not even the OP of this thread. I just happen to think getting multiple like-minded people together is more beneficial long term than trying to go it alone.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:39 PM
I love this Forum.

In olden days, when you fought you fought with your brothers, friends, uncles and sons. So yes a tribe is a militia. Also I haven't forgotten you guys I just have been very busy. So RC you have military experience yeah? If this thing did happen we could use someone with tactical knowledge :P
Old 12-14-2017, 01:27 PM
Paratrooper X

Quote:
In olden days, when you fought you fought with your brothers, friends, uncles and sons. So yes a tribe is a militia. Also I haven't forgotten you guys I just have been very busy. So RC you have military experience yeah? If this thing did happen we could use someone with tactical knowledge :P
Yes I was 22 years Infantry. but my point is, you seem to be focused on the tactical aspect.

You're going to need much more than that for a self sufficient tribe. Most people interested in prepping are not young and you're not likely to find PT studs. You're more likely to find people with physical disabilities than not.

Your most important skill sets are going to be farming and medical skills. You can teach the tactical stuff to anyone. Farming skills are almost an art. Some have the knack, some can be taught and some are just plant killers (my wife is a plant killer)

In other words, its better to focus on building a community as opposed to a militia
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rc508abn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Yes I was 22 years Infantry. but my point is, you seem to be focused on the tactical aspect.

You're going to need much more than that for a self sufficient tribe. Most people interested in prepping are not young and you're not likely to find PT studs. You're more likely to find people with physical disabilities than not.

Your most important skill sets are going to be farming and medical skills. You can teach the tactical stuff to anyone. Farming skills are almost an art. Some have the knack, some can be taught and some are just plant killers (my wife is a plant killer)

In other words, its better to focus on building a community as opposed to a militia
All of that is true. However there are exceptions to every rule. I am one of them.

I also realized very early on that the self sustaining aspect is equally important as the gun fighting and am working towards that with plans for raising animals, doing aquaponics, and having a large garden.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:46 PM
Paratrooper X

Quote:
All of that is true. However there are exceptions to every rule. I am one of them.

I also realized very early on that the self sustaining aspect is equally important as the gun fighting and am working towards that with plans for raising animals, doing aquaponics, and having a large garden.
Which exception to the rule are you talking about

Either way, Id say the tactical defense side is the lower 1/4th of priority. If you don't have the other people with the skills for sustainability, then you have nothing to worry about protecting.

Another thing is, Guys with tactical and combat exp don't work well with others. Especially true if they have the prepper mind set. You get too many A type personalities in the mix and you have problems

What area of OK are you in any way?
Old 12-14-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Which exception to the rule are you talking about

Either way, Id say the tactical defense side is the lower 1/4th of priority. If you don't have the other people with the skills for sustainability, then you have nothing to worry about protecting.

Another thing is, Guys with tactical and combat exp don't work well with others. Especially true if they have the prepper mind set. You get too many A type personalities in the mix and you have problems

What area of OK are you in any way?
First lets define the "rule": I am talking about (based on my real world experience) the rule that most preppers are lone wolf "type A" people who usually are older and have health and fitness issues yet still believe that if the SHTF they would be the king of the world because they have an AR-15 and a couple months of food. Yet they have no real plans for sustainable food production, defense, or the ability to make a functioning community out of their skills, if they have any.

Here is how I break that:
1) I am less that 25 years old, getting married in May, physically fit, and have just purchased a rural home on 22 acres with a stocked fishing pond (I have a thread about it in DIY called "Homestead Fortifications" if you care).

2) I have around 25 people in my group that are all involved and invited to my place in the event anything goes down. They are all people I trust to have my back and are going to be helping me do a lot of the work to improve the property. Of those 25 around 11 including myself are very proficient and capable shooters. Other than the younger children, the rest of the group can handle firearms but would be supporting the rest of us the majority of the time.

3) The rest of my group also tend towards being healthy, younger and have skills all over the spectrum (welders, a doctor, people who garden and raise animals, people with prior law enforcement experience, etc...)

4) Myself, family members, and my friends are working on making the property capable of producing food and raising animals for both sustainable off-grid living and to help make extra income.

5) I'm actively involved with trying to meet people and make connections all over Oklahoma in the event something bad happens.

As far as the type A personality thing goes, if that automatically meant people couldn't work together then the USA wouldn't have a functional military. Yet we have the best and most powerful the world has ever seen (with it full of those types). The reason it does function so well is that it has a unity of vision and they are all working towards the same goal, even if the individual missions they carry out differ. The same is true for my friends and I. Sometimes we argue passionately, but we are still friends afterwards because our goals are the same. And in both examples we are smart enough to realize we are stronger together.

For your last question I will PM you.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:27 PM
Paratrooper X

Quote:
First lets define the "rule": I am talking about (based on my real world experience) the rule that most preppers are lone wolf "type A" people who usually are older and have health and fitness issues yet still believe that if the SHTF they would be the king of the world because they have an AR-15 and a couple months of food. Yet they have no real plans for sustainable food production, defense, or the ability to make a functioning community out of their skills, if they have any.

Here is how I break that:
1) I am less that 25 years old, getting married in May, physically fit, and have just purchased a rural home on 22 acres with a stocked fishing pond (I have a thread about it in DIY called "Homestead Fortifications" if you care).

2) I have around 25 people in my group that are all involved and invited to my place in the event anything goes down. They are all people I trust to have my back and are going to be helping me do a lot of the work to improve the property. Of those 25 around 11 including myself are very proficient and capable shooters. Other than the younger children, the rest of the group can handle firearms but would be supporting the rest of us the majority of the time.

3) The rest of my group also tend towards being healthy, younger and have skills all over the spectrum (welders, a doctor, people who garden and raise animals, people with prior law enforcement experience, etc...)

4) Myself, family members, and my friends are working on making the property capable of producing food and raising animals for both sustainable off-grid living and to help make extra income.

5) I'm actively involved with trying to meet people and make connections all over Oklahoma in the event something bad happens.

As far as the type A personality thing goes, if that automatically meant people couldn't work together then the USA wouldn't have a functional military. Yet we have the best and most powerful the world has ever seen (with it full of those types). The reason it does function so well is that it has a unity of vision and they are all working towards the same goal, even if the individual missions they carry out differ. The same is true for my friends and I. Sometimes we argue passionately, but we are still friends afterwards because our goals are the same. And in both examples we are smart enough to realize we are stronger together.

For your last question I will PM you.
Well, Sounds like you have working what very few seem to do, good luck with it
Old 12-15-2017, 11:27 AM

Kith and kin.

Start there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor B. For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2017, 09:16 PM
I love this Forum.

Which reminds me, I've got two athletic young men that will be tagging along also. We are going to be doing The Pathfinder Youth Adventure stuff to get this training thing started.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor B. View Post
Kith and kin.

Start there.
Already done. They are on board wholeheartedly. Both on my side of the family and my soon to be wife's.

Quote:
Which reminds me, I've got two athletic young men that will be tagging along also. We are going to be doing The Pathfinder Youth Adventure stuff to get this training thing started.
Good to know. But a series of questions I feel I need to ask if you are interested in doing field and tactical training; How old are they? Do they have the experience to handle firearms safely? If they are over 21, do they have their CCW licenses, do you?

Feel free to private message me on this stuff. I just want to put this out there generally for anyone else interested in reaching out, esp any younger preppers (I know there are some since I am one).
Old 12-19-2017, 01:22 AM

So apparently the site totally glitched out and lost my account. I had to remake it. It didn't even have my email or username in the system anymore so I just remade it like I had it. So if you messaged me in the last couple hours I don't have it.