Plate Carrier - About That Time - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 02-04-2020, 04:17 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,465 Times in 560 Posts

Advertise Here

How easy is it to function after a hit onto one of those plates, without medical help immediately to hand? Imagine in an SHTF scenario, you're driving in a 'less permissive environment' and a pistol round comes through the car door into your side plates. Do you give a smug chuckle and keep going, or do you collapse with three broken ribs and a punctured lung and lie there panting while the bad guys walk over to you and cut your throat?
My military time didn't include plate carriers.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2020, 05:41 PM
Shade Tree Gynecologist

Thanked 6,887 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorry-no-clues View Post
How easy is it to function after a hit onto one of those plates, without medical help immediately to hand? Imagine in an SHTF scenario, you're driving in a 'less permissive environment' and a pistol round comes through the car door into your side plates. Do you give a smug chuckle and keep going, or do you collapse with three broken ribs and a punctured lung and lie there panting while the bad guys walk over to you and cut your throat?
My military time didn't include plate carriers.
never been shot before although i have seen pistol bullets not penetrate a car door as distance.

I would imagine it would hurt/knock wind out of you.

a rifle round, center plate from a distance just far enough away to not penetrate could probably knock you pretty good, spalling aside you could probably walk away in short order.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SCPigpen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2020, 06:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 67,165 Times in 21,121 Posts

Guys I was with kept going and in a couple cases noticed after.

Adrenaline is powerful stuff.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2020, 04:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,777 Times in 4,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post

I have some ceramic plates, which are probably now expired. Most of my armor is steel for the longer life span and durability for training.
Best use for expired plates are to make them your training plates You're correct, a better long-term investment are the steel plates; it's hard to argue against that. My only issue is that less expensive steel plates or the top tier and expensive hybrid plates won't do much good without training. I'll caveat that your scenario makes more sense for the guy/family having armor for bugging in. Discomfort is easier to manage if you're just pulling guard or driving in a convoy. My experience involves more dynamic training and my steel plates are in a backup carrier.

For those worried about having ballistic armor, steel plates are really the best investment unless they plan to really do some significant dynamic training or expect to do long-range foot patrols.

If you're so unfortunate as to get into a gun fight, having armor is a proven lifesaver if you take a COM hit. It's much better to survive a bad bruise, possibly a cracked rib, or just having the wind knocked out of you vice getting ventilated where medical support may not be an option post SHTF...

ROCK6
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 10:32 AM
You were the Executioner.

Thanked 2,840 Times in 829 Posts

Ok, will someone please man-splain to me what the hell kind of plates y'all keep talking about?? Seriously, I have no clue what y'all are talking about. Is it something that goes inside a military jacket or what? I'm too lazy to google it, yeah.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazarine33 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 10:16 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,626 Times in 1,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazarine33 View Post
Ok, will someone please man-splain to me what the hell kind of plates y'all keep talking about?? Seriously, I have no clue what y'all are talking about. Is it something that goes inside a military jacket or what? I'm too lazy to google it, yeah.
Bullet proof inserts. The plates go into plate carriers. Plate carriers are normally vests.

If you donít know what they are, then youíre simply not envisioning the possibility of being in a hostile environment. Good on ya!

Itíd be FANTASTIC if the world simply continued farting rainbows & spitting unicorns.
The Following User Says Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 10:51 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 9,813 Times in 4,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
Carrier is a few pounds, maybe 2-3.
Steel plates are 8 lbs each.

Front, back, and carrier is less than 20 lbs. Add side plates for another 5 lbs.

Any adult that cannot easily carry 20 lbs distributed over his/her torso has far bigger problems than the need for body armor. Hit the gym, get in shape, or you'll die of malnutrition or heart disease or other ailments long before any bullets start flying.

Pistol and rifle mags are 1-2 lbs each. A pistol is 2 lbs. A rifle is less than 10lbs. Generally about 6-8 lbs.

Total setup, body armor and a weapon, is well below 30 lbs. That's NOTHING. Any healthy adult should be able to wear that all day every day with minimal effort. Should be able to walk 10 miles in that without much difficulty.
I agree here, 30 lbs isn't much.

Full combat load + gear on an average night for me overseas was easily 60-70 lbs.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ForgedInTheFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 11:42 PM
Trapper

Thanked 2,024 Times in 597 Posts

Hey i'm 60 and I have level 3 plates and all the gear that goes with it, is it heavy yeah but its doable, am I going to run a mile in it nope, but even at my age its not that much weight, knowing i'll survive a COM shot its worth it.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:46 PM
VIP Member

What is a COM shot or COM hit? I'm unfamiliar with that acronym.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:48 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,254 Times in 779 Posts

Center Of Mass.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:52 PM
Fix Bayonets!

I know it as center mass.

Old 02-12-2020, 03:04 PM
Fenced In

Thanked 4,294 Times in 1,856 Posts

Where I think some folks will get into trouble is after they've watched too many movies and YouTube videos, and load up an already heavy plate carrier with entirely too much ammo and supplemental gear to get out of harm's way when appropriate. For those who wore that "battle rattle" professionally and know what they're doing, or those who are in the physical condition to carry that load with less negative impact on mobility, it might be inconsequential to add another mag or a bigger knife.

I'm in neither of those categories, so while I do have a "loaded" plate carrier, it's not set up for a prolonged encounter. It's not intended to sustain me while storming an enemy position or defending a strategic location for hours on end, it's to get from Here to There intact.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inazone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 09:16 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 7,076 Times in 2,237 Posts

Canít really go wrong with AR500 Level III and up with spall guard if youíre talking plates. Not exactly super concealable though, but there are slim rigs out there.

The more armor in The Peopleís hands, the better.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:

Then youíre probably way too lazy to be able to actually carry them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2020, 08:12 PM
You were the Executioner.

Thanked 2,840 Times in 829 Posts

Actually, Sparky, I'm in pretty good shape! Just didn't know what they were.

And no, I have no intention of tying 30 lb. of metal plating to my body and running through live fire with 50 cal. bullets and dodging mortar shells and RPGs. Because I can really envision a time when I will be in exactly such a scenario. Yeah, I can see that. Not.

I'll leave all that to you manly, manly men. Too much testosterone for my delicate, pink flesh to tolerate. Eeeeek!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mazarine33 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCPigpen View Post
im torn between the AR veritas or freeman
You can get away with the Freeman underneath a jacket or hooded sweatshirt. The trauma pads and plates are a good combo and the weight is minimal for a male wearing it. I do want to get some larger plates and maybe the veritas or micro carrier, but the Freeman is easy to put on and take off.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:39 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG42 View Post
Here are my 2 cents (based on direct experience).
1. Hard plates are NOT concealable under most circumstances. They are more concealable in winter, especially under HOODED jacket.
2. A minimalist carrier might be good enough, and can be had for peanuts, but:
a) it doesn't protect the sides;
b) it is slow to put on.

I have a JPC I can put under a jacked no problem. They so also have side plate bags you can attache so (A) is not true and they dont take long to throw over your head either, so (B) is not true. you dont have to lift the flap and attach the velcro to get protection just simply through it over your head. This is true with most PCs.

Personal defense situation just toss it over your head. someone coming in the house grab it form next to the bed toss it over my head. still might even have time to attache the cummerbund unless they are coming through the bedroom window. Going out the door , take the extra 5~10 seconds to lift the flap and attache the cummerbund, slow is smooth smooth is fast Im certainly not just gonna open the door and run out.

you also dont have to run a front flap or attach anything to the PC as strokes mentioned in the next post.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:59 PM
operatorchan.org

Thanked 2,292 Times in 1,084 Posts

If you want minimal but also want to carry mags, don't put them on your plate carrier. Get some belt mounted mag carriers like the HSGI taco or the G-code Scorpion.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strokes762 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Actually, Sparky, I'm in pretty good shape! Just didn't know what they were.

And no, I have no intention of tying 30 lb. of metal plating to my body and running through live fire with 50 cal. bullets and dodging mortar shells and RPGs. Because I can really envision a time when I will be in exactly such a scenario. Yeah, I can see that. Not.

I'll leave all that to you manly, manly men. Too much testosterone for my delicate, pink flesh to tolerate. Eeeeek!!

I was joking around dude. Relax cupcake.

Old 02-15-2020, 01:58 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by querulous View Post
I was joking around dude. Relax cupcake.

That's a chick. It's TxHannah.