Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 04-27-2020, 09:49 PM

Default North Korean Nuclear Weapons

Advertise Here

Article I wrote up on North Korea's nuclear weapons back in 2017. I'm a retired USAF 46370 (equivalent to a US Army 55 Golf, or US Navy Gunners Mate Technician)-

http://nuclearweaponsaccidents.blogs...s-nuclear.html
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike46370 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2020, 10:55 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,075 Times in 2,333 Posts

Think NORKs are more or less stable if fatboy has assumed room temp?
Old 04-28-2020, 11:18 AM

neiowa,
Good question. Kim's regime seems to be run like a medieval dynasty, with cousins in high places to preserve their lineage. That sister of his looks like the DPRK version of Hillary Clinton.
As far as their nukes go, they do have special units assigned for security, but that can change with a rebellious unit. Overall, I think it will be an interesting time as a power struggle ensues (if Kim has indeed passed away). Overall, I think the elite will be interested in preserving their wealth and power, and not starting a war.

Last edited by Mike46370; 04-28-2020 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: typos
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike46370 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2020, 11:24 AM
Dog Lives Matter

Thanked 24,044 Times in 5,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike46370 View Post
That sister of his looks like the DPRK version of Hillary Clinton.
Now you've sent shivers down my spine.

How do you feel about the theory that NK did not develop their nuke capability? Rather, they are Iranian nukes being tested by their strategic NK partner.
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeDefense For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2020, 02:30 PM
SoJer

Thanked 7,796 Times in 2,408 Posts

Here's my 'WAConspiracy Theory'...

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...&postcount=189

@ Sir Mike - Thoughts?

jd
Old 04-28-2020, 05:25 PM

Although Iran has not publicly stated they have any nuclear weapons, what's to stop North Korea from giving them a few hemispheres of plutonium smuggled in to the country via a diplomatic pouch for later assembly to an operational weapon? That, or purchasing weapons grade uranium or plutonium outright, or being supplied an "unassembled" weapon flown in via diplomatic cover.
Iran has had the potential to design and field some very basic implosion devices, as seen in past IAEA documents and the recent Mossad intel coup. Netanyahu's brief shows some weapon designs, and an implosion mockup with pin domes (to test implosion symmetry). A gun type weapon using uranium 235 (enriched to 90 percent) is not too difficult to fabricate, and they have enough centrifuges to produce weapons grade uranium. The basic beryllium/polonium neutron initiator involves frequent replacement, but manufacture is not beyond Iran's capabilities.

Last edited by Mike46370; 04-28-2020 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 04-28-2020, 05:38 PM
Dog Lives Matter

The Iranian-North Korea connection fits together very nicely. The Iranians can continue to deny they are building weapons while testing them on North Korean soil. Pork Chop can bolster his technological image by misleading the world into believing that he developed the weapons himself.
Old 04-28-2020, 10:09 PM

Here's Netanyahu's briefing on Iranian nuclear weapons developments from 2018-

Old 04-29-2020, 05:51 PM
Ingloriously Deplorable

Thanked 7,202 Times in 2,113 Posts

Thank you Mike,
That article was pretty good. I take it you served about when I did and were allowed to participate in PRP, alerts and all the fun stuff of that period. Army sent me overseas twice in the ETO. Fun times.

Iran/NK....it makes sense. Last I heard, their launch a few weeks ago was "tumbling" but there's not a lot of coverage. I'm sure those that man what used to be the DEW lines have kept a close watch. Amazing thing, technology. Considering that regime's current troubles, it would be just like them to do that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockwell Torrey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2020, 08:04 PM
Bad Moon Rising

Thanked 26,835 Times in 6,823 Posts

Unless I'm misinformed, the key issue that the North Koreans currently face isn't a functional warhead, but a reliable delivery system. To fire a missile from N. Korea and hit targets in the continental US, the apogee of the ballistic trajectory may require a multi-staged missile. This technology requires that the second stage (and a third if required) ignite after the first stage completes it's burn time and detaches from the missile.

My understanding is that the North Koreans do not yet have a reliable multi-stage rocket + re-entry vehicle combination that is capable of true "intercontinental ballistic missile" performance.

Obviously, this goes out the window if they go with an improvised launch off the deck of some rusty freighter in the Gulf of Mexico, but AFAIK they'd need to get closer to the US mainland to effectively use the technology they're currently test firing into the ocean over Japan.

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/nuke/IF10472.pdf

https://missilethreat.csis.org/country/dprk/
Old 04-30-2020, 09:11 PM

Here's an excellent website by Norbert Brugge of Germany, detailing Iranian and North Korean missile systems (among other nations).

Slowly but surely, their technology is improving.

http://www.b14643.de/Spacerockets/index.htm

http://www.b14643.de/Spacerockets/Sp...orea/index.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike46370 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2020, 04:29 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,161 Posts

I don’t know that Israel and Saudi Arabia are willing to let Iran have nuclear weapons. And that may include first strikes being used as a deference.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:43 AM
Dog Lives Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuteandfuzzybunnies View Post
I donít know that Israel and Saudi Arabia are willing to let Iran have nuclear weapons. And that may include first strikes being used as a deference.
That's one reason why Obama and Kerry's nuclear deal with Iran was so bad. It was probably the worst international agreement ever made. Apart from the fact that Americans were not allowed to do inspections, and we did not get a single thing that Kerry said was going to be in the agreement, there was a clause in there that required the USA to come to Iran's defense if their facilities were attacked.
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeDefense For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2020, 09:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,075 Times in 2,333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotius View Post
Unless I'm misinformed, the key issue that the North Koreans currently face isn't a functional warhead, but a reliable delivery system. To fire a missile from N. Korea and hit targets in the continental US, the apogee of the ballistic trajectory may require a multi-staged missile. This technology requires that the second stage (and a third if required) ignite after the first stage completes it's burn time and detaches from the missile.

My understanding is that the North Koreans do not yet have a reliable multi-stage rocket + re-entry vehicle combination that is capable of true "intercontinental ballistic missile" performance.
Frankly I'm more concerned about a HEMP than their dropping one on LA. Chicagostan, or NYC.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:01 PM
Bad Moon Rising

Thanked 26,835 Times in 6,823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
Frankly I'm more concerned about a HEMP than their dropping one on LA. Chicagostan, or NYC.
Yes, that's the prime concern - because it eliminates a lot of the challenge of precision targeting on re-entry. All they need to do is detonate several warheads a couple miles above "center mass", and the results are quite likely to be discouraging for several years until the grids can be brought back online.

Although, just cranking one off in the harbor off LA or San Francisco might cause similar consternation - and it wouldn't need to ever leave the ship.

Lots of options, which is why one decent option is to remain engaged.

Just MHO. YMMV.