commuting long distance for work and shtf - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 11-10-2019, 06:43 PM
Prepared

Default commuting long distance for work and shtf

Advertise Here

Do you guys/gals commute for work? If so, what preps do you have in place should the shtf while you are at work?

I ask because I am always looking to better my preps and foresight with my commute and always hoping for the best while preparing for the worst.

My situation and preps in place: I have a 108 mile round trip drive to work 5-7 days a week. I keep a ghb that is setup for a possible(worst come to worst) 54 mile walk home. The majority of my drive is highway with no city miles. I plan on hand railing on the trek home and then breaking off and cross cutting in areas that are fully wooded and unsettled that I have researched over time. I have multiple ways of obtaining water as well as good foot wear and If unimpeded, I feel that my time until I get home will be approximately 24-40 hours. The time frame will obviously be up in the air and it’s mostly my confidence speaking.

I have considered strategically placing caches along the way, but haven’t made up my mind on that yet. We each prep for different reasons from one another for the most part so my reasons may be different from yours and my loadout is tailored as such.

What concerns do you have for a shtf situation when your far away?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IndMechanic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 06:46 PM
Prepared

Also, any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated as I feel like I have thought of everything it seems like as far as the prep side of it goes. I am constantly evaluating my routes and back ups routes as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to IndMechanic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 07:04 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 27,486 Times in 9,771 Posts

Have you considered a mt. bike option stored at work? You can bike 3 to 15 times faster than you can walk. A load on wheels/bearings is much better than one on your back.

A 5 gallon bucket of stuff buried every 10 miles would be great. Some food, water maybe some other stuff like socks, under wear, cheap multi tool, Bic, dust mask, bug dope, sun screen, eye drops, gloves, tarp/trash sack... Canned food, water packets the rest of the stuff can be new cheap crap or older still serviceable stuff of you have replaced.

I understand the desire to get home, but you should have plans/provisions for going elsewhere(s) by different means and paths.

Walking somewhere on a nice day isn't the same a wading 3' of volcanic ash with people or critters after you.

You can "fly" a lot of routes in google earth.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2019, 07:22 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 77,224 Times in 22,627 Posts

How about a little scooter or a razor?
I saw a kid go flying by me while I was walking today. Gas motor powered razor thing?
30 mph.

https://www.myproscooter.com/best-gas-powered-scooters/

They fold down pretty small.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 07:39 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
Have you considered a mt. bike option stored at work? You can bike 3 to 15 times faster than you can walk. A load on wheels/bearings is much better than one on your back.

A 5 gallon bucket of stuff buried every 10 miles would be great. Some food, water maybe some other stuff like socks, under wear, cheap multi tool, Bic, dust mask, bug dope, sun screen, eye drops, gloves, tarp/trash sack... Canned food, water packets the rest of the stuff can be new cheap crap or older still serviceable stuff of you have replaced.

I understand the desire to get home, but you should have plans/provisions for going elsewhere(s) by different means and paths.

Walking somewhere on a nice day isn't the same a wading 3' of volcanic ash with people or critters after you.

You can "fly" a lot of routes in google earth.
I have thought of keeping a fold up bike in my trunk in the event it was needed, but I don’t have a lot of space available just yet. I’m workin on that. I have surfed google earth as well as kept a keen eye open for possibilities on my way.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IndMechanic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 07:42 PM
Prepared

I Keep my provisions geared toward civil unrest and collapse not so much a volcanic deal.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IndMechanic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 08:33 PM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 9,453 Times in 3,608 Posts

Long commute...hmmm. Well I havent seen my Georgia house and any of my firearms since Aug 9, 2019.
I am based out of New England for awhile. Using Boston and Rhode Island for my airports to travel for my work assignments. In between work assignments..I either catch a flight to the Caribbean or hang out in my rented room in Massachusetts.
Truck is parked outside my window right now. Calling for snow tomorrow
Gas up and ready to travel south if needed
Fuel range is good. Easy 500 miles before fill up.
Truck stays loaded up with everything....except No Firearms. I am in unfriendly territory. No big deal though.
No more assignments until next month (Dec). So just laying back
Headed back to RD on the 23rd. Taking daughter with me.

I guess thats kind of a commute
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 09:10 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,787 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench708 View Post
Long commute...hmmm. Well I haven’t seen my Georgia house and any of my firearms since Aug 9, 2019.
I am based out of New England for awhile. Using Boston and Rhode Island for my airports to travel for my work assignments. In between work assignments..I either catch a flight to the Caribbean or hang out in my rented room in Massachusetts.
Truck is parked outside my window right now. Calling for snow tomorrow
Gas up and ready to travel south if needed
Fuel range is good. Easy 500 miles before fill up.
Truck stays loaded up with everything....except No Firearms. I am in unfriendly territory. No big deal though.
No more assignments until next month (Dec). So just laying back
Headed back to RD on the 23rd. Taking daughter with me.

I guess that’s kind of a commute
Don’t you miss your guns ?
Old 11-10-2019, 09:48 PM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 9,453 Times in 3,608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuteandfuzzybunnies View Post
Dont you miss your guns ?
No. Not really. I wouldnt mind having one or two.... but it would make me a felon here
The Following User Says Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 03:13 PM
Prepared

First and foremost I make sure I have more than enough gas in the tank to get home. Most SHTF situations will not render the car useless.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PromptCritical For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 05:29 AM
Hunter

have a burner card with 5k in it, in the situation 54 mile or more as road distances aren't taken into account vs point to point distance which any given gps you wish to use..

at the point of when the alert goes out you have less than an hour to be outside city limits, once the warning bell goes live you are a marked target you be best to look for a hotel/motel to stay in..

with the understanding that your distance can vary widely if you have to dump the transport at some point in your life of the SHTF situation walking distance can double to quadruple the distance you have to cover, and a 3 day option might not be sustainable. if and more is a better solution..

what distance you can cover within a 1-3 hour limit may take you several days/weeks/ month's to complete on foot, this is the problem people have when designing a GHB/INCH system whilst 3 days might achievable within motorized transport by foot or pushbike you are burning more calories and as such you need to consider solutions as these will take you longer to get where you are going.....

these things people do not consider when they build such packs
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redlineshooter For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 08:48 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndMechanic View Post
Do you guys/gals commute for work? If so, what preps do you have in place should the shtf while you are at work?<snip>

What concerns do you have for a shtf situation when your far away?
Aside from the GHB, I think proper footwear is absolutely essential. I learned this the hard way, unfortunately.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:25 AM
At 5000AGL

Throughout high school, I had a 102 mile round trip commute. My ghb had:

Food for three days
Water filter system
Mora knife
3 pairs of socks
2 pairs of underwear
Emergency bivy
3 Mylar blankets
100 feet of 550 cord
A collapsible stainless steel cup
Down jacket
Set of frogg toggs

My footwear was weather appropriate, decided when I would leave in the morning.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bobcat In The Woods For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 09:59 AM
BASS

Thanked 3,214 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromptCritical View Post
First and foremost I make sure I have more than enough gas in the tank to get home. Most SHTF situations will not render the car useless.
Are you able to safely store container(s) of fuel in your truck? another 3 or 5 gallons goes a long way. SHTF gas will stop. Any station open will be mobbed. Hurricane Sandy local open gas stations had police with M-16 rifles on guard. If you don't already have extra fuel you just won't get any. Here in NJ you could walk up to the pump and they would fill your container ahead of vehicles getting fuel. They had a separate line just for that but you needed cash. Small bills work best. A hundred dollars or more maybe a very good thing to have.

Socks were mentioned and I would have a several pairs not just one. Also blister first aid items. Your hands are cold put a pair of dry socks over your dry gloves or hands. Helps stop loss of body heat from your wrists.

Wet boots: put a plastic bag over your socks then put on your boots. Works well to keep dry and warm.

A way to heat food and water may be very important in winter weather. Bad weather may have you pinned in one place foe more than a short period.

I guess you have shelter and sleeping already taken care of.

I wish you well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BASS For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 10:09 AM
For Conversation's Sake.

Thanked 19,041 Times in 5,729 Posts

I’m sure you already have but a mobile charger for phone and a small radio with hand crank and an ear bud so you can monitor news and emergency updates while traveling And cash.

Last major blackout I was in Point of sale systems were out up to 2 days after the power came back on.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SeaBeeDaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 11:59 AM
Prepared

Phone charger is very important, even if the cell towers might be down. Keeping your gas tank topped off, or having some extra gas could make a big difference. Also, as already mentioned, something else with wheels, such as a bike, scooter or other could make a big difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to prairiegirl1925 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 12:11 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 77,224 Times in 22,627 Posts

Are there Rail road tracks that traverse the distance? Maybe hop a rail?

Is there a bar at a partway point? Maybe stop there a couple times to develop a friend along the way that might offer some help if needed.

Is there a storage facility along the way? You could park a small scooter or bike in there with whatever cache items you think would help.
You might even sleep in it en-route, in a pinch, to get ready for the next leg of the trip.
Might be power there to recharge your phone, or a light bulb you could install an outlet tap for same. Might bea bathroom there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 04:21 PM
Prepared

All very good suggestions guys and I appreciate it. The caches are priority on my list as of now. I’ll figure up a good list of items for each. I figure on my commute, five would be good.
The Following User Says Thank You to IndMechanic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 05:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,916 Times in 1,381 Posts

Have you ever walked or biked 54 miles?

The most I have ever walked because of a broken down vehicle was about 20 miles. It took about 6 or 7 hours. By the time I was done my feet were quite sore, I don't know I could have done another 24 miles. Since then I had a job that I walked nearly 20 miles every day, that same hike when I had that job would have been no problem.

The most I have ever rode a bike was about 25 miles, it took maybe 3 hours. The next day I could barley get out of bed I was so sore. Yet with some training others could do that same 25 miles without breaking a sweat.

If you plan to cover that distance either of those ways it may be a good idea to make sure you are in shape to be able to do it.

Is there a way to make the distance less? Change jobs? Move? Those may sound like extreme solutions but living close to work can have lots of benefits especially if you don't much care for the job you have now or don't really care for where you live now. Being 54 miles from work adds two hours to every work day.

I used to have a 35-45 minute drive to work and now have a 10 minute drive. With a short drive it costs less in fuel, don't have to leave as early or get home as late, if I have vehicle problems it is easier to get a 10 minute ride from a friend than a 45 minute ride, in bad weather a short ride is less stress and probably safer than a long ride to work. Obviously if I need to walk home from work I could do the 10 minute drive in a couple hours, the 45 minute drive probably couldn't be done by me in a day.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lasers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 09:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,521 Times in 1,915 Posts

My daily commute is 72 miles each way. Bought a used mtn bike on Craig’s list that I keep in my brothers garage 5 miles from work. With rests and meals, it takes me 24 hrs to walk into my front door. I have enough naproxen in me to thin my blood to a light pink. I am slathered with aspercreme ointment. I usually have a sunburn. After much experimentation, I find that you need a camping pad, a harbor freight 7x9 camp tarp and a meal every two hours. I go through a box of.high energy bars, 5 packages of Idahoan instant potatoes, five foil packages of starkist tuna in foil packets and eight instant coffee packets. The trip takes 3 gallons of water. I haven’t done it on foot or in the winter but I have done the other three seasons, from early March to late October. I have alcohol wipes for sponge baths and rub spots. I am adding a poncho liner to the mix. My GHB is a medium sized duffel I use as a gym bag with a strap worn across my chest. I keep a towel and an extra shirt inside to hide my gear. I have a med pak in a gal ziplock, a German pocket stove with fuel tabs, another gal ziplock with food and a poncho, a couple bandanas, a couple knives, two pistols, a pair of cheap Binoculersi, a boyscout pot and cup from a thrift store and a spoon, fork and eating knife on a ring. I keep a sandwich sized ziplock with countrytime pink lemonade mix. I snooze during the heat of the day and travel early and late. I have three routes and an off road cache every 10 miles in a buried 5 gallon bucket. Each has a gallon of spring water, a gal. Ziplock of food, coffee packets and countrytime. Each has a German pocket stove (finally!). I am working on a poncho in each. It’s a work in progress. Has been for a couple years now. I am in my late fifties and no athilete. A lot of my gear comes from Walmart. The stoves come from surplus stores, gun shows and a local prepper store.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rural Buckeye Guy For This Useful Post: