Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spoiled Brats buds224 General Discussion 10 04-23-2015 07:51 PM
Spoiled on Tahoe Tap tahoeH2Ochick Food and water 22 03-10-2015 01:42 AM
Spoiled 6 year old Obama... MTShawn Political News and Discussion 54 10-07-2013 07:06 PM
Spoiled ham ?? Jstwaiting Health, Fitness and First Aid 4 10-12-2012 03:17 PM
Spoiled wine? DKDeckmann Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 10 07-07-2012 07:10 AM
how spoiled we are shown in response to fireworks corndogggy General Discussion 14 07-26-2010 04:28 PM
USA - home of the dumbest, most spoiled people on the planet McLovin Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 76 04-10-2010 08:44 PM
Uses for Spoiled Food Brimasmom Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 21 10-23-2009 09:54 PM
spoiled kid Dwind General Discussion 44 09-25-2009 01:05 AM
To the spoiled under-40 crowd!!! mongoose Jokes, Humor & Music 15 12-01-2008 01:22 AM

Old 10-04-2014, 06:08 PM

Default Growing up in Utah has spoiled me.

Advertise Here

Growing up in Utah has spoiled me. When I lived there if I wanted to shoot it was as simple as driving around Utah lake to the BLM land, setting up targets, and shooting. I now reside in Montana (thanks Uncle Sam) and in my area there are only two ranges. One is a "members only" place with rules out the wazoo (no firing on the 200 yard range in any position but sitting and such), and the other only has room for one or two shooters at a time on the rifle range. I may have to wait until I head home to visit for the holidays to go shoot out in the West Desert. And now my rant is over.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2014, 06:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,830 Times in 2,909 Posts

Montana has lots of public land too, apparently you just live in the wrong part.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:47 AM

Alot of the shooting area round utah lake has been restricted now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2014, 10:57 AM

If you do have to buy a range fee in Utah theres a groupon deal going on right now for Gun Vault:
http://groupon.com/bwf/b43848b1-b36b...utm_medium=bwf

$19 for a shooting-range outing for one ($35 value)

One-hour lane rental
One gun rental
Eye and ear protection
Two targets

$45 for a shooting-range outing for two with a simulator session ($90 value)

Two one-hour lane rentals
Two gun rentals
Two sets of eye and ear protection
Four targets
30 minutes on the Lasershot Training Simulator

Just an option if anyones looking.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:30 PM

I just go out behind the payson dump. Free, close and works great!
Old 10-07-2014, 04:53 PM
Have gun,will travel

Thanked 7,369 Times in 2,820 Posts

Let me guess- Malmstrom AFB. I was stationed there for 4 years. Fortunately, I was a CATM troop, so I could get away with using the base range after the students were gone. But, they are only 25 meter ranges, so they weren't great for rifle shooting. Once upon a time there was a membership-range across the river, and another a bit further out of town. Yeah, the problem there is EVERYTHING within a 30 mile radius is privately owned. I used to go up to the Little Belt's and shoot after they closed the range across the river to shoot long-range. That was OK but it's a drive, so take lots of ammo and make a day of it.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:04 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,830 Times in 2,909 Posts

You can find the public lands in a couple different ways. DeLorme makes atlases for most of the western states that show land status in a large scale that works for some purposes.

Or, your local Bureau of Land Management office has single page maps at 1/2 inch to the mile scale that are a lot more detailed and useful. They charge for them but you should have the map sheets for your local area, just to learn your way around. Some sporting goods stores can print out these maps for you but I don't think the paper quality is as good as the gvt maps.

If you want to spend the dough I hear the GPS units nowdays have map programs that can show you when you are standing on public land. You have to buy a specific card for your area.

You might be surprised. Sometimes there are little forgotten chunks of public land right close to pretty settled areas in the west. Also some States allow the public to use state land, but they have their own rules. State land show up as blue on most land status maps.

Finding a place on public land where it is safe to shoot is another thing, most of these places have already been found and you will find signs of that activity.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:03 PM

You hit the nail on the head Paladin. I'm not fortunate enough to be a B shred like yourself (no shreds on the O side) so I don't have access to the base range.
The Following User Says Thank You to Domino the Destitute For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2014, 10:32 PM
This is my clever name

I must be lucky in my area. I can drive 10 minutes in just about any direction and pull off the road and shoot. Benefits of semi rural I suppose
Old 10-10-2014, 09:18 AM
Have gun,will travel

Thanked 7,369 Times in 2,820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by .40 cal View Post
I must be lucky in my area. I can drive 10 minutes in just about any direction and pull off the road and shoot. Benefits of semi rural I suppose
Yeah, that's how it is down here. Plus, I live about 10 min from the free county shooting range, so I usually just jump on my ATV and ride there when I feel like shooting.