A Perfect Storm - 15 things - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 02-16-2020, 02:04 AM
Hunter

Thanked 5,333 Times in 1,409 Posts
Default A Perfect Storm - 15 things

Advertise Here

Over the last three weeks I've been very focused on getting info on the Coronavirus, and the effects this potentially has, not only healthwise, but supply and economy wise. And I've been preparing accordingly to the best of my ability.

Then it occurred to me that with all the other stuff going on, this year could be just an absolute POOPSTORM of difficulties.

I'm kind of wondering and curious about your thoughts and input on this and see if there is anything we can do to alert others and or to at least prepare ourselves spiritually as well as otherwise.

Here's a list of factors that I feel are really a recipe for POOP SOUP:

A perfect storm

1. Countries at war or unstabilized with potential for expanded war:, Iran, Iraq, Syria, Yemen, Israel, Afghanistant, Nato/europe, Venezuela, Bolivia, Brazil, Columbia, China, Russia

2. Countries in debt and on an economic precipice: Just about everywhere except maybe less than a handfull of countries

3.Immigrant crisis - Europe, USA

4. Corona Virus Pandemic possible crisis: China and surrounds, possibly others

5. Supply crisis as a result of Corona Virus Crisis (china shutdown)

6. Eratic weather, crop failures for whatever reason we choose

7. Africa - locust devastating crops

8. Insect population destruction - bees, polinators

9. Seismic activity, volcanos, earthquakes

10. Poor health due to bad food and lifestyle abounds

11. Planetary contamination of poisons in water and land: Fukishima radiation, Gulf of mexico - oil and toxin spill

12. Toxic agriculture and food, Mon Santo and other chemicals and GM foods

13. Crazy and incompetent leadership in most countries

14. Declining educational standards

15. Increasing global mental health issues

I am sure there are more things, such as not being able to say what you think due to political correctness, absolute lies and corruption at the top, etc.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Daisy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2020, 02:32 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 17,662 Times in 5,384 Posts

Sure...but other than corona those have been true for decades.

Which is of course, why we prep.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2020, 02:32 AM
Survivor

Thanked 67,138 Times in 21,117 Posts

Many bad things can happen.

Sooner or later one (of more) of them will.
Being able to stay home And see no one for 3+ months is valuable in almost every scenario however.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2020, 04:18 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 27,444 Times in 9,761 Posts

Never let a crisis go to waste. Hype up some threat in the lame stream media and then distribute some poorly manufactured "preventive or cure", that will actually kill off more people than the hype threat would have. If they get caught, it was an accident yea that's the ticket.

This just in hasbeen hilarity is ahead in the polls by 50 points again.

Little Man and Fat Butt the Nuclear Demonrat Tag Team of Doom
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2020, 05:24 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 59,828 Times in 20,665 Posts

Welcome to the 24 hour global news cycle.

Most things on your list are things that were happening a half century ago.

The major change is there are fewer filters between the news and you now.

Give me AP and Reuters for an hour and I'll triple you list real easy.

It's a real big wading pool and we've been crapping in it for quite a while now.

You need to become your own filter.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2020, 04:01 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 25,134 Times in 5,046 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
Welcome to the 24 hour global news cycle.

Most things on your list are things that were happening a half century ago.

The major change is there are fewer filters between the news and you now.

Give me AP and Reuters for an hour and I'll triple you list real easy.

It's a real big wading pool and we've been crapping in it for quite a while now.

You need to become your own filter.
I agree with all of the posts, some more than others. People need to be your own filter and Think for yourself and not simply think and Do what your party, group, religion etc. says you must think and do.

One big major change from fifty years ago is population. More people, more problems. For myself and a very few others I know the solution is to stay away from big cities and even just stay home as long as it takes in case of epidemic and whatever.

Here is what I found with a quick search and the last link is very interesting to me anyway >

What was the world population in 1970?

During the 20th century alone, the population in the world has grown from 1.65 billion to 6 billion.

In 1970, there were roughly half as many people in the world as there are now.
World Population Clock: 7.6 Billion People (2017 .

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

https://www.worldometers.info/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2020, 04:59 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnman Mike View Post
I agree with all of the posts, some more than others. People need to be your own filter and Think for yourself and not simply think and Do what your party, group, religion etc. says you must think and do.

One big major change from fifty years ago is population. More people, more problems. For myself and a very few others I know the solution is to stay away from big cities and even just stay home as long as it takes in case of epidemic and whatever.

Here is what I found with a quick search and the last link is very interesting to me anyway >

What was the world population in 1970?

During the 20th century alone, the population in the world has grown from 1.65 billion to 6 billion.

In 1970, there were roughly half as many people in the world as there are now.
World Population Clock: 7.6 Billion People (2017 .

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

https://www.worldometers.info/
Yep, we hit carrying capacity in the 70's. Fire marshals should have started the evictions then.

If some mythical world government mandated everyone must eat organic foods then we would not have enough food. The world relies on intensive farming practices and the range of farm chemicals to stave off global starvation. People think there is plenty of land left, but arable land is a completely different matter. We might be eating the whales again because we are starting to run out of fish in the sea. We now make food stretchers from petroleum products. We were so worried that oil would run out, but we now need oil for food.

The Reverend Thomas Robert Malthus has been vindicated.

Everyone born after 1975 that was not a direct replacement for people who died prior to '75 is effectively redundant to needs.

Anyone born after 1975 probably should not be having children.

Before someone squawks in outrage, I was born long before that break date and I've not had kids. So bitch at me knowing I've been covering for others sins to the sustainment of the human race. Don't be surprised if I look at those rebuttals with a bit of contempt.

The way I see it, anyone born after '75 who isn't a tradesman, engineer, or scientist is just human bloat. Everyone born in my extended family after 1975 is a degreed engineer. Someone has to hold this this place together while the masses free breed.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2020, 05:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,119 Times in 6,541 Posts

and some how a single first nations tribe has paralyzed Canada's rail system.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51497143
Old 02-16-2020, 08:12 PM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
I agree but I've had people here flip out before when I mentioned the Malthusian trap, some people seem to think that resources and technology are infinite.

Personally, I think our current population is being supported by the savings of the past....primarily oil....millions of years worth of saved solar energy that we are burning through in a matter of hundreds. It lets us cheat the system...for now.

I used Malthus for my kids middle name infact just as a reminder of the 'power of population' as he puts it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2020, 08:34 PM
Survivor

Quote:

The way I see it, anyone born after '75 who isn't a tradesman, engineer, Marine or scientist is just human bloat. Everyone born in my extended family after 1975 is a degreed engineer. Someone has to hold this this place together while the masses free breed.
FIFY!

The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2020, 11:32 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 25,134 Times in 5,046 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Yep, we hit carrying capacity in the 70's. Fire marshals should have started the evictions then.

If some mythical world government mandated everyone must eat organic foods then we would not have enough food. The world relies on intensive farming practices and the range of farm chemicals to stave off global starvation. People think there is plenty of land left, but arable land is a completely different matter. We might be eating the whales again because we are starting to run out of fish in the sea. We now make food stretchers from petroleum products. We were so worried that oil would run out, but we now need oil for food.

Everyone born after 1975 that was not a direct replacement for people who died prior to '75 is effectively redundant to needs.

Anyone born after 1975 probably should not be having children.

Before someone squawks in outrage, I was born long before that break date and I've not had kids. So bitch at me knowing I've been covering for others sins to the sustainment of the human race. Don't be surprised if I look at those rebuttals with a bit of contempt.

The way I see it, anyone born after '75 who isn't a tradesman, engineer, or scientist is just human bloat. Everyone born in my extended family after 1975 is a degreed engineer. Someone has to hold this this place together while the masses free breed.
Sounds pretty harsh but necessary. Too bad that the world will have to learn the hard way that there are just too many people. I don't agree with some I think they are elites, who might be doing things to reduce the world's population and I won't go into all of that but maybe someone else will.

I don't know what year you were born in Zeke but I was born in 1958, which I like to say when the Old West ended and the Space Age began.
I also have never had children and never married. Many reasons but I likely never married because I could not find a woman who thinks even a bit like I do and who did not want to have children.

Even when I was in high school in the mid seventies I knew that the world was not going to get better and better. And I just never wanted to bring children into this world. Plenty of others are though and that is yet another topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
I agree but I've had people here flip out before when I mentioned the Malthusian trap, some people seem to think that resources and technology are infinite.

Personally, I think our current population is being supported by the savings of the past....primarily oil....millions of years worth of saved solar energy that we are burning through in a matter of hundreds. It lets us cheat the system...for now.

I used Malthus for my kids middle name infact just as a reminder of the 'power of population' as he puts it.
I agree but biotechnology is also what is greatly helping to support more than 7 Billion people on this planet. I was in corn research for the last ten years of my working in society life. And I saw first hand how they are constantly improving corn and other plant yields. Growing more and more and more corn etc. etc. per acre. And so much more.

I want to add that a case can be made that all 15 things on Daisy's list for a perfect storm is related to human over population. It would seem that natural disasters, storms, volcanoes etc. would not be but with so awful many people they are building in storm areas and even too close to volcanoes.

Hurricanes, tornadoes etc etc. are likely no more powerful than in the past but with such a huge number of people in cities in storm areas then the damage is much much greater than in the past.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2020, 11:50 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

No, you can't suggest much about Malthusian principles without being labelled a monster.

You can coax the intelligent folks to the point where they agree Malthus was likely right, but you can forget suggesting a way forward.

Why? Because most people see breeding as a natural right. Not to mention them seeing their kids as their form of immortality.

Unless you want to be a pariah you just have to watch the trainwreck slowly unfold in silence.

The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2020, 11:57 PM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
No, you can't suggest much about Malthusian principles without being labelled a monster.

You can coax the intelligent folks to the point where they agree Malthus was likely right, but you can forget suggesting a way forward.

Why? Because most people see breeding as a natural right. Not to mention them seeing their kids as their form of immortality.

Unless you want to be a pariah you just have to watch the trainwreck slowly unfold in silence.
Well, its true, kids are the only real form immortality.

But thats not my point, the point is that malthus predicts inevitable collapse because population will always grow to capacity, whatever that capacity is, leading to an over all low quality of life or see-sawing between apocalypse and rebuilding, with less to rebuild with every cycle.

Technocratic population control is impossible. Our destiny is always going to be either constant expansion into new territory and resources (unlikely) or perpetual low quality of life. Our current condition is just a temporary aberration.

The counter argument I was talking about was the people who say that we will always find new resources faster than our population grows....which is moronic and insane IMO but its what some people believe because so far...we have.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2020, 12:38 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Technocratic population control is possible without active population reduction measures.

At our present population load we are *merely* breeding twice our mortality rate.

Remember my comment about tradesmen, engineers, and scientists? Their "build on success" mentality means they don't free breed.

All we need to do is make failing a high school math test a capital offense.

OK, my inner monster just peeked out, but you get the point I'm trying to make.

We will soon hit a global population count where 60 million births a year is simply replacement rate.

So we just need folks less inclined to breed. A real hard push to force the skilled trades and sciences onto youth during youth education will result in a lower global birthrate. The bloat will taper off and give the science to catch up with population needs.

But even this plan would face massive resistance. All these kids we tell that they will fail life without a college degree, just think that art history or gender studies is the easy key to meet the goal they are told. Academia has built a cult following they know that a mandatory STEM push would weaken. Nor could we get the world on board given we are hopeless pointed in the wrong direction right here at home.

Old 02-17-2020, 12:44 AM
Survivor

Quote:

I would argue at a minimum 2 kids per couple are. (Doing Nothing more than replacing themselves.)

there are certainly people I wish WOULDN'T breed.

And one of the reasons I am single is not so much that I can't find a woman good enough for me, but one that is good enough to be my kids mom who I can ALSO get along with! (I know, too much to ask.)

I don't really Worry about it as there will be a pandemic, or war or whatever to even it out.

The Earth Abides.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:48 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
I would argue at a minimum 2 kids per couple are. (Doing Nothing more than replacing themselves.)
You don't see the logic slip?

The moment you have a grandchild while you are alive it is no longer replacement rate.

Old 02-17-2020, 12:56 AM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Thanked 33,672 Times in 9,629 Posts

I was born in 64 so there's that. I only had 1 kid, 7 were stillborn, so y'all are lucky there. My only son turns 38 this year and he refuses to give me grandchildren, so you don't have to worry there either. Never heard of Reverend Thomas Robert Malthus, so I guess I got some more reading to do.

EDITED: Went and read his Wikipedia and a couple of other short little articles about him and all I can say is, He was right on the money. I've often thought about this very subject, never talked about it to anyone because I didn't want to be accused of hating people but I totally agree. Damn, never thought I would ever say that out loud to anybody but yea, there is is. But i've always hoped I wouldn't see it get there in my time. I thought there'd be at least another hundred years before that happened but I believe it's headed that way for sure now.
For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.
The Following User Says Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2020, 12:57 AM
Survivor

Quote:
You don't see the logic slip?

The moment you have a grandchild while you are alive it is no longer replacement rate.
I'll grant you that in my family we don't tend to have 40 year old grandmothers which seems to be fairly common these days.
(So my mindset is more inclined that way)

But the U.S. Isn't exactly a problem for you:

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/15/72351...t-record-level

And its not like any of us will impact the other countries.

Be it the kung flu, Sars, or what, as I said:
The Earth abides.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2020, 01:00 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXplowgirl View Post
I was born in 64 so there's that. I only had 1 kid, 7 were stillborn, so y'all are lucky there. My only son turns 38 this year and he refuses to give me grandchildren, so you don't have to worry there either. Never heard of Reverend Thomas Robert Malthus, so I guess I got some more reading to do.
There are a lot of older members at SB and a high percentage of the industrious sort.

So my criticism is less deserved on this bunch.

But one trip to Walmart and the Malthusian apocalypse is on full display.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2020, 01:43 AM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
But even this plan would face massive resistance. All these kids we tell that they will fail life without a college degree, just think that art history or gender studies is the easy key to meet the goal they are told. Academia has built a cult following they know that a mandatory STEM push would weaken. Nor could we get the world on board given we are hopeless pointed in the wrong direction right here at home.
I would say, and I think Malthus would agree, not just massive resistance, but overwhelming resistance.

The simple truth is that so far in human history, its the country who can maintain the highest birthrate that wins wars, not the most 'advanced' technologically.

US citizens have already reached neutral to negative population growth...which has lead to economic stagnation and reduced global importance and an economy almost entirely dependent on other peoples children.

A country that theoretically achieved a perfect technologically literate perfectly stable population would very quickly be destroyed by the fast breeding 'barbarians' of the world.

Quote:
But one trip to Walmart and the Malthusian apocalypse is on full display.
Indeed. But the walmart parking lot is also where our military does a lot of recruiting!

Quote:
I don't really Worry about it as there will be a pandemic, or war or whatever to even it out.
Well, perhaps some of readers here will get what I'm referencing....but I don't really worry either, a lot can happen over time. The king may die, I may die, the horse may die....or perhaps it will even learn to sing hymns?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post: