What was your "Prep" for today? - Page 1966 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Link to the "Surviving Disaster" Series - Great to watch for emergency prep. ideas! survive Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 27 08-26-2019 03:51 AM
Non "Rambo" Prep Helmet Nate74 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 71 07-15-2019 07:29 AM
Finally... a sane answer to "Why do we prep?" SurvivorGirlAL Jokes, Humor & Music 16 06-12-2019 06:58 PM
The Media asks " Why Prep" Northern Raider British Isles and ROI 33 12-07-2017 07:20 AM
Food Prices "will double by 2030" - Oxfam. Time to prep with a home garden? Jubbles Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 130 03-12-2017 01:12 PM
National Geographic has "I Escaped A Cult" in between "Doomsday Preppers" today. Libertarianism 4 All General Discussion 17 03-05-2017 09:08 AM
Article shows how most "sheeple" prep. potatoheadman Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 52 11-05-2016 09:38 PM
An "Emergency Prep Poster" in Japan landline000 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 19 07-25-2016 12:17 AM
Neighbor "found" me online, knows I prep now... AARGH! joyfulheart Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 126 09-02-2014 10:49 PM

Old 02-16-2020, 01:32 PM

Advertise Here

I am building a dog house to put in front of the dog door and hoping it will keep the cold wind from blowing straight in to the house.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Freja For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2020, 11:04 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 7,850 Times in 3,127 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Got the empty shelving unit taken apart, cleaned, moved, and reassembled into the container, then got most of the food that had been previously moved to the container but not put up yet onto the shelves (after wiping down containers the box and packages are in.) Still have a few more boxes of MREs to move, plus a tote with some of the loose food items to move, the milk crates with the 1/2 gallon water bottles and vinegar, then the final shelving unit with the BOBs and "other items." Should be able to finish the job next weekend.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2020, 11:14 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 17,536 Times in 5,353 Posts

Finished my biennial EMT refresher course....thats six or seven of these I've done now...

In case anyone is wondering what is new in EMS.

Backboards are not a thing anymore. Over with, caput. Bad medicine. Throw them in the trash.

C-collars....suck but nothing better has been invented yet so still may be used.

Tourniquets, are a thing again, use at will as needed.

IV fluids, use sparingly. Low BP is better than too much fluid.

Oxygen, too much is as bad as not enough.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2020, 11:26 PM
A marathon not a sprint

Thanked 17,471 Times in 4,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freja View Post
I am building a dog house to put in front of the dog door and hoping it will keep the cold wind from blowing straight in to the house.
I have seen that idea used as a way to actually hide the dog door , which I think is smart .
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hilltopper For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2020, 12:51 AM
Flintlock Shooter

Thanked 6,379 Times in 3,131 Posts

Picked up a small portable DVD player for the BOL. We have books & games there, but nothing to watch. I can't believe that was something that we overlooked.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hagalaz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2020, 01:53 AM
You were the Executioner.

Thanked 2,639 Times in 767 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopper View Post
I have seen that idea used as a way to actually hide the dog door , which I think is smart .
That's an excellent idea. I'd have never thought of that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazarine33 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2020, 08:19 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 13,517 Times in 3,585 Posts

Finished my cookbook, monies gained go for preps! PM me if interested in more information.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 9mmMike For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woowoo2 View Post
This week reinforced that we can reasonably function with reduced sleep.
Sun-Mon, worked for 32 hours straight.
Tues - Wed worked for 38 hours straight.

Once over the "Hump" working was not too difficult.
Guess that all depends on what your job is - hopefully you're not a brain surgeon! :-)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jdavidboyd For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2020, 02:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,615 Times in 1,884 Posts

I had popcorn over the weekend!!!

Now I know you are all thinking "hey we eat popcorn what's the big deal?" The big deal is that while we do like and eat popcorn my wife was in a small store that had lots of different kinds so she bought a few to try out. She bought red, blue, and white at less than a dollar a pound. She also bought mushroom at a touch over that.

We tried both the red and the blue over the weekend and I have to say I was very impressed. When talking about it we both struggled with using the words "heavy" or "meaty" to describe popcorn, but decided that they fit.

They both popped very well with almost 0 seeds and no hulls and you could tell the difference just by looking at it after it had popped. She agreed with my awkward description of it looking like a good full healthy flower as opposed to one that was missing petals.

It just looked great and grabbing a handful out of the bowl before butter or salt it was really good. We will be adding to our LTS here and there in the future. Will try the other kinds next weekend.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2020, 03:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,589 Times in 2,356 Posts

Knocked down weeds and did first tilling on two of the three garden spaces. Nice weather this week. Hard freeze due in two weeks so best to get things going. May plant some freeze hardy cole crops?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2020, 03:35 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 13,517 Times in 3,585 Posts

Got the car servicing done, got to keep the transportation in shape.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 9mmMike For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2020, 04:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 43,369 Times in 12,514 Posts

Spent a few hours messing with the support beams for the shed. Have them all at the appropriate height now but am pretty much at a complete halt until I get more materials. Unfortunately, the materials will cost $$ and we are not spending on things we can avoid right now. Have to pay off the wifeís chompers and the two small credit cards. Iím also trying to save as many vacation days as possible so I can start working on the house (which is budgeted for) when the weather begins to get warmer. We are going to get snow tonight and probably later in the week. I felt the temp drop and see it coming so I packed up for the day. Iíll just chill and see if we get enough to skip work tomorrow.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tedlovesjeeps71 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2020, 06:01 PM
Stop YOLOing

Thanked 7,877 Times in 2,216 Posts

We updated our phones last weekend, so I spent some time redoing how I mount everything in the truck and Jeep. Quick and safe access to comms/nav is an important vehicle prep.

The phone part was pretty easy, but in the truck I'm switching from a handheld Baofeng to a Yaesu FT-818ND (and probably eventually an 857)...and I want a modular system so I can pop it into a backpack, still in a functional state, without much fiddling. So I spent today creating a friction-fit platform that I think will work just fine. One more coat of paint tonight and I'll be ready to start adding pieces tomorrow.

It'll end up with a two-slot Anderson Powerpole connector, a small hard-wired inverter, and the ability to hold and power my modular radio kit.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Just Jeff For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2020, 06:04 PM
Stop YOLOing

Thanked 7,877 Times in 2,216 Posts

Also just bought a new SOFTT-W tourniquet and the Eleven 10 Rigid TQ holster (link) to put on my "oh ****" belt. Haven't tried a rigid TQ holster before but I figured it's worth getting something custom-made for the job. Current one is just in a pistol mag pouch.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Just Jeff For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2020, 06:44 PM
Target Shooter

All new tires for the ol' 4X4 Ranger.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bugbor For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2020, 07:14 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 7,850 Times in 3,127 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Took husband up to the city today for a couple of VA appointments. They reassessed his ankle (broken once and sprained multiple times on Active Duty) that continually gives him problems; did an assessment on his knee; and did an audiology test that showed SIGNIFICANT hearing loss (I could have told them THAT!)

After the appointments, we hit Sam's and Costco before heading home. Stocked up on a few things that we use a lot of - Olive oil, avocado oil, maple syrup, lemon juice, AA batteries (on sale for 12.99 for a 40-pack - I bought 2 packs), and several other items.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2020, 07:45 PM
Front Towards Enemy

Thanked 1,506 Times in 385 Posts

Honestly, my prep for the day was not prepping today. I've been ratcheted up for two weeks now, and if I haven't been buying preps, I've been training or planning what to buy next. I figured that the best prep sometimes is to take a breath, calm down, get the blood pressure down, and just...live. Otherwise, what's the point?

So, I caught up on some reading today, and spent the better part of the evening watching gun fail videos with my boss. Not a bad waste of a day.

Tomorrow...gotta get 10lbs of sugar for the stockpile. :D
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lt. Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 06:14 AM
"Do No Harm" Do Know Harm

Default Hearing Loss

[QUOTE=IceFire;20068678]Took husband up to the city today for a couple of VA appointments. They reassessed his ankle (broken once and sprained multiple times on Active Duty) that continually gives him problems; did an assessment on his knee; and did an audiology test that showed SIGNIFICANT hearing loss (I could have told them THAT!)

IceFire, If your Hubby served between 2003-2015 and wore (or used) the 3M earplugs mentioned in the below article, he may qualify for the class action law suit.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/y...mbat-earplugs/

Last edited by Tac Medic; 02-18-2020 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: edit years
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tac Medic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 08:56 AM
Survivor

Thanked 25,529 Times in 9,702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
Finished my biennial EMT refresher course....thats six or seven of these I've done now...

In case anyone is wondering what is new in EMS.

Backboards are not a thing anymore. Over with, caput. Bad medicine. Throw them in the trash.

C-collars....suck but nothing better has been invented yet so still may be used.

Tourniquets, are a thing again, use at will as needed.

IV fluids, use sparingly. Low BP is better than too much fluid.

Oxygen, too much is as bad as not enough.
What about mouth to mouth resuscitation? I have always maintained that chest compressions are better than blowing used air into someone's lungs and doesn't interfere with chest compressions for the heart.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 09:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 43,369 Times in 12,514 Posts

Be careful what you wish for. Woke up this morning and found work is on a 2 hr snow delay. Well, not a day off but whatever. So I take my time getting ready, clean off the car, etc. drive all the way in on slippery roads and drop the wife off at her job. Just as Iím pulling into post I get a notification that post is closed, no working today. back to pick up the wife and try and get home again. Whoever makes these decisions needs to pull their head out of their 5th point of contact.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tedlovesjeeps71 For This Useful Post: