Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Financial Forum Economics and Precious Metals

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Truth About the Gold and Silver Scam Finmac Financial Forum 289 01-06-2020 10:30 PM
What would you trade for 1oz silver Beans4breakfast Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 61 01-09-2017 02:34 PM
How, what & why - buying gold Backyardcreek Financial Forum 20 12-03-2016 12:29 AM
2 questions?? ECF Financial Forum 20 12-02-2016 08:52 PM

Old 03-12-2017, 03:14 PM

Default Buying and selling silver

Advertise Here

I am thinking about buying silver rounds and some american silver eagles for a small investment and for shtf. I know the ASE's would be better for trading and buying stuff. In the event that the economy doesn't collapse and I need to sell the silver rounds will they be worth the 1 oz price of silver or will they be discounted for not being ASE? I ask because I went to ampex and looked on their sell and buy list. They had the sell price on silver rounds but on the buy price they had call for price? I would think that they should be worth whatever price silver is worth at today's price?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Hobb For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 03:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,464 Times in 3,504 Posts

It depends on who you're selling them to. Typically Eagles and similar can be sold for at least spot or spot+, while rounds or other non-government mint silver will go for spot or spot-. Like most things, selling them privately will generally get a better return than selling to a dealer who has overhead.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deadmeat99 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 03:44 PM
Trump is Treasonous

Thanked 19,299 Times in 5,084 Posts

I wanted to know this myself I bought 4 1oz sunshine eagle bars and 1 2oz hand poured monarch bar both are .999...

From what I've read it seems to be the consensus that bars are better because they aren't (generally) being sold to collectors which is a smaller market, bars are (generally) sold for industrial use and are melted down...

Is this correct?
The Following User Says Thank You to Kalashnikov47 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2017, 03:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,367 Times in 1,230 Posts

Agreed, depends on who you are selling to. My local LCS will pay about 70% of spot on generic rounds and bars. He sells ASE's at spot + $5, and will buy back possibly at spot.
A private deal such as Craiglist might get you spot on generic bars and rounds, but I don't relish those kind of deals.

I consider US junk silver being more recognizable than ASE's. I carry an ASE in my pocket, and rarely does anyone I show it to identify. OTOH, they don't recognize a silver quarter over clad either, as far as that goes.
The Following User Says Thank You to fistfulladirt For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 05:06 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 14,930 Times in 5,133 Posts

I use the small amount of silver i buy as "insurance", not an investment at all. So, I'm risk averse. I only buy ase and Canadian maples since I'm only concerned with safety and reliability.

If the gold-silver ratio goes down, i will trade ase for age
Old 03-12-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOpie View Post
I use the small amount of silver i buy as "insurance", not an investment at all. So, I'm risk averse. I only buy ase and Canadian maples since I'm only concerned with safety and reliability.

If the gold-silver ratio goes down, i will trade ase for age
I think the Canadian maples were the best buy but was put off by all the negative feedback on milk spots. I am new to this and just want something to have in case of an emergency. What is your opinion on eagles vs maples?
The Following User Says Thank You to Hobb For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2017, 02:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,464 Times in 3,504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobb View Post
I think the Canadian maples were the best buy but was put off by all the negative feedback on milk spots. I am new to this and just want something to have in case of an emergency. What is your opinion on eagles vs maples?
Never had any discoloration on the Maples I have but that's anecdotal. Personally I think the newest silver Maples with the radial reeds and micro-engraved markings are stunning but in the end, they aren't Eagles.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deadmeat99 For This Useful Post: