Survivalist Forum banner

SHTF medical storage?

7K views 37 replies 24 participants last post by  BabyBlue 
#1 ·
Does anyone here have any recommendations for both a Bugout as well as a bugIn medical supply stash?
Aside from basic first aid, what are the items you keep or store in quantity?
What I’m trying to find is those little items with big responsibility that I may be forgetting.
I’m open to premade full ems kits however I do already have a bit of supplies stored at home for bug in.
My current supply lacked in the “trauma care” department which is what led to this thread.

So what items may I be forgetting?

#2 ·
1. first aid course.+ all CPR variations.
2. life guard training.
3. After the first two are completed you will have a better base to work from.
There is a very broad spectrum of skills one should acquire there by knowing how to improvise as needed largely because supplies can be consumed quickly in one event .
As an aside I make my own colloidal silver ( antibiodic) because it is easy to make and it has so many uses and does not degrade with age or heat.

4. one cannot have too many different bandaging capacities , as you can afford them. In some cases though it might be practical to provide the base materials and improvise.
5. Pain relief is a big deal and great barter , knowing that not every one can take the same things I store several types, brands and strengths ,particularly those I use .
Though you man not suffer specific illness, some one else might even as simple as hemorrhoid suppositories and iodine tablets.
As I have room I plan to dedicate a room to every thing medically related even a table for that matter. I have volumes of medical books but you can't do every thing , some equipment is just not possible .
Ideally for the long term having a herb garden as well as a vegetable garden adds value to your preps.
Something to remember is that few people know what to do which make those that do know valuable . If captured this asset might save your life .

#3 ·
Your consumables primarily directed at gauze and bandages.

General home first aid you will use minimal bandages and wipes. When treating a trauma or stopping bleeding you will need 10x what you think you will need if you have never worked a bleed before.

Most home kits ony keep enough dressing for a couple of bandage changes post trauma repair.

Direct pressure and bandages then more bandages do not remove them if awaiting EMS.

I know my FAK (I have a tiered system) I probably lose a portion due to rough handling and the steri is compromised. I keep bulk bandages in a tote with other materials that isnt intended to be toted just stored.

The self adhering wraps(better than ace) are also a big item I like. Look to the "vet" wraps they are much cheaper and come in bigger sizes.

#4 ·
Just curious.....

Do anyone of you, or anyone else for that matter, keep surgical tools or things to do minor stitch ups?
I’ve seen quite a few people carrying staplers and removers as well as utensils to perform minor surgeries or perhaps bullet removal.
I understand knowledge is king here but how do you guys feel about these and do you have them?

#21 ·
Agree - staplers are easier than sutures but tho' I have both, I recommend staplers for those people well versed in good / effective wound decontamination and care. 'Easily' closing a wound that should not, or should not yet be closed, is a risky mistake. I prefer to suture, myself, as that way the tension, skin edge bite, and layer depth as well as suture material can all be matched to the wound, its mechanism of injury, and its location.

#6 ·
I agree, lots of bandages - compressed trifold gauze for packing into holes, general gauze for wrapping around stuff, and compression bandages. Also tape to hold some of that stuff together. This stuff is cheap and no reason not to have a bunch of it if making a big kit. Also, some tourniquets.

But I guess you should probably break it down into the different areas:

• Circulation (bleeding), which is what all the bandages are for, but there is also
  • Airway - keep a path open for air to go from the mouth to the lungs. There are a couple different ways to keep an airway open, going either down the nose or down the throat.
  • Breathing - a CPR mask.

Decide what you need for each of the 3 areas.

#7 ·
If you want to keep a minor trauma kit it is not a bad idea in hopes you have someone around that can use it on you. Keep it sealed and not part of your general first aid. As I mentioned earlier I have a tier system and each over laps slightly.

The trauma bag I keep is hands off to family as most in there they cant use, Rx and sharps. The "big red bag" as it is known is my burn kit, PPE gels water gauzes some meds gear and more; family can use this in an emergency ONLY... so I can keep it sterile and accounted, it is on a shelf in the garage. The HOME first aid kit is all access and is kept in the cupboard, Just let me know when you grab something. I will shuffle materials between them based on my needs.

They are broken down this way so they can be carried. Those do not include the car, boat, and camping kits which look like off the shelfs with added materials they lack as they stay with the vehicles.

Take some classes, everything from basic first aid to more advanced. I have, but as of yet never removed a bullet or stitched a knife wound. If it needs more than steristrips I am going to a professional that has had more time on than me. If I had to I could do more depending on the situation but that will be a call made then.

#8 ·
I had posted pics and descriptions of my kits on a large thread here a couple years ago.

Naturally it can't be found.

Here is another thread with some lists.

https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=363913

Another one. All my Amazon links are dead though.
https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=367431

I started out with this large bag from BP Medical, which includes a bunch of stuff, much of which is marginal quality.

https://www.amazon.com/Fully-Stocke...d=1418716746&sr=8-15&keywords=trauma+kitmazon

The bag is large, but if you want to add things like an Ambu bag and a dozen other odds and ends, it holds and organizes them well. The internal padded divider helps keep everything well organized and protected. The bag has a reflective strip on it to keep you from getting clobbered by a car, and overall, just an excellent kit for the money (at the time I bought it).
I added a bunch of stuff (Quick clot, Celox, pulse-ox, ambubag, A tactical trauma kit, surgery kit, bottle of eyewash, bottle of alcohol, Sawyer extractor, Nasal airway and lube, benedryl, naproxin, aspirin, some white towels, bottle of hand sanitizer, bottle of iodine , bottle of wound wash, poison ivy cleanser, book on remote medical care "Remote Medic Field Guide: A Practical Approach", sharpie pen, chest seal, a good flashlight, a suction device to clean **** from airways, more nitrile gloves, Sam Splint, a tarp and paracord (in case it is raining), a large commercial trash bag (to keep the bag dry or to throw trash in) , a bivy sack (to treat for shock), skin stapler and removal tool, suture kits, pulse-ox, thermometer.
The kit contents were accurate to the description the seller provided. The smaller things (bandages, and little packets) came in 2 plastic bags (one is a repeat of the other).
Some antibiotics a la pesce.

#11 ·
I’ve seen quite a few people carrying staplers and removers as well as utensils to perform minor surgeries or perhaps bullet removal.
You need to get a lot of knowledge to really know what you need. For instance, bullet removal is not a thing you need to worry about. I've had one in my for almost 20 years now. The doctor told me the only time you remove bullets is if you're in a western movie.

Nor are you likely to survive a gunshot wound without advanced medical knowledge, anti-biotics etc anyway.

The best place to start if your just a normal person with no medical training is with the equipment you already actually know how to use. Bandaids, over the counter pain killers, anti-biotics creams, Anti-fungals (this can be a big one) etc.

Go to your local Target and get a bunch of their generic over the counter treatments for the things you've actually used in your life. The same stuff you probably already have...but as a prepper you get much more of it, and package it for easy access rather than having a tube of this, and a bottle of that scattered around your house.

Note, this is going to be quality of life stuff, not anything that is life saving in itself but that is still an important thing to manage. Chaffing or athelets foot can disable you. Sunburn can disable you. An ingrown toenail can disable you.

Surgical gear, serious bleeding control or airway management etc is next to useless without the training for it. Once you get that training you will know what you need for yourself...and probably realize that without a hospital to go to its still mostly useless. Even advanced first aid doesn't 'fix' anything, it just stabilizes it until hospital can provide treatment.

Most pre-built kits are pretty useless to someone who actually knows what they are doing....which is part of the problem with pre-built kits. People with the training don't buy them...so they are mostly marketed to people who don't know what they are doing, and therefor don't need to have the right stuff because those customers don't know any better...and those customers never find out because 99.9% of them never actually need to use any of the stuff they just bought, compared to an EMT's truama bag that he or she builds and adapts from the experiences of treating actual trauma.

Here are some tips though.

Less kinds of stuff, more of what you do have. Instead of one of 40 different things in the bag, have 10 copies of four things.

For instance. I have NEVER used anything but a large and medium oral airway. Having the full size set is a waste of space. I have never used a stethoscope in the field on a trauma. Never used those little pen lights. Never used a CPR pocket mask. But 4x4s? You can use dozens of those on a single call. 'Kling' wrap and tape? Multiple rolls, on one patient. Kling is like duct tape for EMTs, we put that stuff on everything. Rubberized 'vet tape' is one of the best things ever as well. My EMT coat has a roll in every pocket.

If you really want medical training look into an EMT class. These usually cost between $1-5k and take about three months to complete. Ideally you would also sign up for some shifts with your local ambulance service. As they will tell you the class and license is just the start of learning, just enough knowledge to get your foot in the door, you only really get good at using it from experience.

#25 ·
Note, this is going to be quality of life stuff, not anything that is life saving in itself but that is still an important thing to manage. Chaffing or athelets foot can disable you. Sunburn can disable you. An ingrown toenail can disable you.

This advice is gold Aeridel. I absolutely encourage for people to educate and prepare themselves for more advanced medicine, but for 95% of prepper’s this is perfectly framed.

Do a first aid course, learn the basics, even some more advanced things like basic wound care, but this is where your bang for buck is post-SHTF - you cannot turn yourself into a doctor - but you can learn to manage distressing, but mostly self limiting problems and alleviate distress - treat simple pain, treat minor irritating rashes, thrush, athletes foot, sunburn, indigestion, chaffing, allergic conjunctivitis, hay fever, respiratory and upper airway problems, sore throats - be well stocked and knowledgeable about things that are treated with over the counter medication. You might not be able to remove an appendix, but you can relieve suffering from some common disabling problems. I know it’s not perfectly straight forward and the simple complaint might mean something severe - but it is a really good starting point - be able to relieve the suffering, distress and force degradation of these simple but potentially disabling problems.

#12 ·
Aerindel makes good points BUT. I store equipment beyond my training level. In SHTF not unreasonable to find in your community/area experienced/trained med personnel standing around with empty hands.

A surgeon, PA. RM with only a Target "first aid" kit is as useless as a mechanic that only has a Swiss army knife. Just as many/most mechanics have diddly in their car many/most medical types have diddly in the way of med "tools". They depend on clocking in at the Hospital and then locating the tools they need to be useful.

The big bag in photo above looks to be same as what I bought for my FD EMS (one per truck). Nice bag with lots of room. A similar backpack style may be more useful as easier to carry on your back vs by single strap/handle as practice for EMS types. Photo shows one trauma pad in the kit, you might as well have twenty (or more) even if not all are not in the bag.

#13 ·
A surgeon, PA. RM with only a Target "first aid" kit is as useless as a mechanic that only has a Swiss army knife.
Those people are actually pretty useless outside a hospital period.

(To be fair, I've never saved anyone outside a hospital, I've stabilized them long enough to get to that hospital, all the patients who would have died on scene without me, would still have died hours or days later if I didn't have a hospital to take them to.)

#14 ·
Those people are actually pretty useless outside a hospital period.
Hmm, well that depends. My wife was a critical care nurse in the ICU. At big hospitals including Missoula and the big trauma center in Seattle, where they send the worst of the worst (as you probably know). Nurses don't do the same things doctors do, but they see and watch a lot of it. If something happens to a family member or friend, where they are going to die in a few minutes (and she would know, because she's seen a LOT of people die), she will do what it takes. But only if she has the equipment.

#15 ·
Well, EMS and Nursing don't play well together so I'm probably biased. Seriously, we hate each other....in a friendly way.

But nurses are one of the last people I want to show up on a call. Their patient care priorities are completely different from ours and even though they have something like 100 times more training than we do it seems none of it overlaps ours so its nearly impossible to work together. I'm sure this would be true if EMS tried to help in the ICU as well.

Besides, nurses are mean...like really mean. You can spend 45 minutes talking down the suicidal meth head to the point where they are acting like a human being and then the nurse will walk in and be like "What's wrong with you? I'm not giving you any drugs, why did you bring him here? What that smell? I'm not cleaning that up."

To be fair...they do have to deal with us

#16 ·
I want to preface this by saying I have basic training on everything in the kit, and some practical experience with the vast majority of it. Dont stock up on stuff you dont know how to safely use (unless your plans include someone else who knows how to use them).

I've got several kits, or one giant kit depending on how you look at it. I consider the truck bag (essentially a microcosm of my larger kit) and the contents of the medicine cabinet (constantly being raided by the girlfriend, so I dont count it as being reliably stocked) as separate from the main supplies.

Almost everything is contained in a set of Fjallraven EMT bags I picked up as surplus years ago.

First and most often opened is a fanny pack sized bag that holds the basics for standard every day minor issues....band aids and triple antibiotic ointment, allergy pills and ibuprofen etc. This bag is just there to be a reliable supply if the medicine cabinet is missing something.

Next up is what I think of as "The bandage bag". This is geared toward treating injuries and more acute issues. More band aids, gauze pads and rolls of assorted sizes, cloth tape (less fun to take off than a lot of other options, but sticks better/is stronger in my experience), butterfly strips, antiseptics (hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, iodine) antibiotic ointment, dermoplast, SAM splints, vaseline, instant ice packs, a surgical stapler (something I've never had to use, and hope I never have to) along with basic tools for things like splinter removal (tweezers, forceps and sterile splinter removal needles) site prep (razors) emt shears and other stuff that I'm sure I'm forgetting. I also have benadryl pills and cortisone ointment to deal with minor allergic reactions and I'm sure I'm forgetting some other things.

Lastly is "the big bag" this is both used as extra supplies in line with the "bandage bag" and a more comprehensive medication supply. More OTC pain medication (Aspirin, Ibuprofen and Naproxen), allergy medicines (Loratadine, Cetirizine, Diphenhydramine) skin care stuff (I'm a big fan of A and D ointment) cold and flu meds (generic Nyquil and Dayquil, both liquid and capsules) and various other meds. Basically anything I can get that helps deal with or recover from an illness, or helps with healing after an injury.

Everything is checked regularly, and expired meds are swapped out as needed. I try to keep at least a years supply on hand for anything I use regularly, and several effective courses of treatment for anything I dont use regularly. All in all, between the 3 bags its maybe 45-50 pounds of supplies, not including any extra backstock I might have from when I got an especially good deal (for instance I ended up buying a case of athletic tape close to a decade ago and have kept most of it vacuum sealed to keep the adhesive from degrading too much).

Some of it is probably excessive, but I very rarely get caught without the right thing to take care of a minor injury or illness.

#17 ·
We store bandages, salves, splints, suture needles, stuff like that in clear totes. We did have all of it in kind of a remote part of the house. Just yesterday I moved the totes to a clean outbuilding that is more quickly accessible. There are chairs and a couch there but not running water. We have a nurse in training in the family and it will be her job to access our preps next time she visits.

#18 ·
Question: Do you have all these bags/totes/containers with various different stuff marked/coded?

As in; you're in the driveway tending to whatever disaster -- can you yell to your cousin, child, grandchild, wife "Bring me my XYZ kit!" and they will know which to bring?

Or do you yell "Bring the green backpack/bag/tote!"

Do you have a system so that everything isn't dragged out of the house? [Or to your neighbors house where it is needed].

#19 ·
These are really great insights guys.
Thanks for all the responses and the continued discussion.
I agree that education is first and foremost priority.
That is already planned.
This thread was mainly a “in the meantime” gear up opportunity so that once I’ve completed my current education I’m able to use that education almost immediately.

I will say that I for one am with the crowd that considers organization almost as important as having the gear in the first place.

Other than that, thanks again guys. This thread expanded further than I expected and that’s always a good thing!

#23 ·
first aid

If you don't have working EMS with you currently, be sure to take (You can audit one.) an EMT course every three years or less. I took one about 5 years ago and went out and got all those things I learned about in my search and rescue EMT course. Can't remember anything but the basics. I was all ready for most SHTF scenarios then.

#24 ·
guys... crutches, anyone? I'm going to buy a pair today.

I twisted my knee few days ago and doctor gave me rest of the week off. I got pretty good meds too but that doesn't mean that I can walk!

These few days have been interesting, I haven't really gotten out of my bed and when I do, I need support from walls and furniture. I looked online and found local shop that sells new crutches for 26eur a pair. That'll be my first stop, second is some place that sells Crocs... getting socks and shoes on ain't easy either.

#26 ·
A few years ago I started hitting a gym really hard to get back into shape.
I started getting infected hangnails. I finally had to go to a nail salon a couple times to get it fixed, because I couldn't seem to fix it myself. Really painful and nasty.

Finally figured out I must have been picking up some nasty bacteria from the gym equipment. Started wearing gloves to the gym and the problem immediately went away.

but during all this, I found I was deficient in a good head worn magnifier that doesn't fog up, and some precise manicure implements.

As an aside, I had also joined another gym at the time to use their indoor pool to swim laps. They used a lot of chlorine. I quickly developed a cough that wouldn't go away. after several months I finally figured I had a low level "chemical pneumonia".
Quit that place and quickly got better.

Sometimes it is the little things that knock you on your ear.

#28 ·
Here is another look at the issues, outside of an immediate OP questions: PREVENTION.
1. If your "group" has won a battle everyone would be injured in some way by flying debris. You can spend all your first aid stash treating them. And it is likely that quite a bit of the wounds will fester even so. What the solution? Spend some effort to avoid the injures, now. Like make making armor to cover the whole body against flying glass, wood splinters and everything else. Get supplies (to be used in the Crisis) to limit the debris during a firefight. Like cover the walls and the ceiling with "stuff".
2. The whole behavior after the worst is over will have to change dramatically. Do not take chances with weather, for example. Avoid accidents of all kinds. The current civilization makes taking chances acceptable, what with all kinds of pills, first aid stuff and medical centers. These will be gone forever.

#30 ·
Wise to include multiple vetrap or similar bandage rolls.
Sticks to itself, but not skin.

Good for compression bandages, DIY splints, finger casts, quick tourniquets etc.

Reactions: woowoo2
#32 ·
Thread seems to be going well. Lots of the good info coming early.

Some mixed info I haven't seen yet is somewhat unrelated to each other:

-You need at place at home to store your med supplies that is central, cool, dark, and dry. Almost every prebuilt home has a bedroom hallway linen closet. Linens can be stored anywhere and this closet is perfect for med supply storage. Keep your unopened script bottles there too. There are typically lots of shelves in it for linens and you need lots of shelves. Though builders are capable of a hack job on anything, so a closet remodel might be in order. Keep most shelves in the middle, open upper areas for excess tape/gauze supplies in clear small totes up top, lower open bottom for go bags and larger mobility equipment.

-Segregate your gear into what you are proficient with and what you are holding in case you get someone better skilled than you. When you are working fast you don't want to deal with clutter you can't use properly. That mini surgical pile you have no realistic hope of using properly should not be something you fumble over when you are reaching for a lot of blood stopper supplies because someone is leaking out on your porch.

-Learn about rescue meds and supplies. Example: normal oxygen supplies are script-only and hard to keep fresh and ready without training and legal means to obtain it, but rescue oxygen kits are legal to buy and keep up to date. Certain meds in this class aren't script, just BTC like certain insulin types and select breathing meds like the return of Primatene. Learning about rescue meds is essential to buy your patient time. This includes learning when they are needed. Knowing when to hand someone a glucose gel can turn a life threatening situation into a minor annoyance. Obviously this means training too.

-Emergency training can be found in more places than you might think. Many industries with hazardous conditions often offer or require limited emergency skill training. Community colleges are no hurdle to enter and offer a wide array of affordable medical skill training sets. Red Cross training is everywhere. CERT will gladly train you in a number of limited medical skill sets. Medicine is like auto mechanics in that no skills or no supplies both leave you dead in the water, sometimes literally. All the training in the world is useless sitting around with just your wallet, keys, and a cup of coffee. All the supplies in the world can kill just as fast as doing nothing if you are clueless how to use the stuff. Hell, you can even make it worse. You absolutely must focus on both skills and supplies at the same time.

-Don't forget hazmat. Blood, poison, chemicals, dangerous debris, etc, make the rescue job a lot harder. Emergencies you will face will rarely be in a nice clean clinical setting. Be ready with spill kits, cleaning supplies, and some limited tools to get at your victim and get them away from a hazardous setting. Seat belt cutters, bolt cutters, whisk brooms, kitty litter, insulated pliers, etc, all play a role in getting the patient out of a bad place so you can transport them.

-Get your phone involved. Favorite links and select apps can provide a wealth of fast data. Hospitals and 911 crews can give emergency instructions over the phone. A smart phone can be an emergency flashlight. Your camera can grab images that can be sent to skilled help for fast advice. Pull them off the rebar in their gut or just saw it off and transport with it in place? Questions like that. Hollywood experience is stupid. Racing to get the bullet out in movies is total BS. We are filled with bad ideas and that's why being able to talk to and show skilled medical personnel the situation is critical.

-SHTF planning on medical to the exclusion of normal modern day needs is stupid. You are far more likely to meet a medical emergency now than after society goes belly up. And to the victim it is SHTF right now. Get your head out of the theoretical post apocalyptic prepper mindset. Get into the here and now because that will be likely all you will face. Work on the zombie concepts after you have covered your training and supply needs for dealing with a highway vehicle accident.

-Extra medical training as I mentioned above serves another use. Income security. As a long term hospital volunteer they would hire me on the spot if I asked. Medical skills are portable. Even rich CEO's get canned regularly. Your life career can end the moment your company merges with another and you are excess to needs. Even being better than the other guy is no surety. The calculus to keeping one person over another isn't exclusively based on ability. Favoritism and your wage costs are factored in too. You may need a part time job fast. The medical field always seems short at least one warm body if you can stomach the life demotion. My decades of highly respected engineering could vaporize tomorrow, but the hospital would snag me the day following, albeit at a lower wage. But I wouldn't be fighting for low income unemployment checks either. I can job hunt on my lunch break. EMT training is everywhere and travels everywhere as well. An ambulatory and healthy paramedic never hurts for work.

I may think of more random thoughts later but that's what struck me now as not fully addressed.

Reactions: Iwaki96
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.