Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Show your survival bow! Toxoph Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 40 02-25-2019 08:39 PM
Anyone here have an airbow? SG1 Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 17 01-09-2018 09:49 PM
Watch: How to Silence a Recurve Bow AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 08-09-2017 01:00 PM
New post SHTF weapon? Airbow. irishmike357 Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 61 03-05-2017 12:24 AM

Old 12-14-2019, 10:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,710 Times in 3,479 Posts

Advertise Here

Hunting skills? Yes. Full agreement. ( One is not gonna make it without any skill or experience to back it up and regardless of weapons chosen.
With that said, anyone can use those same skills with a firearm.

Don't get me wrong here. I have the utmost respect concerning archery hunting and am also a archery hunter. It is a challenging way to sport hunt. However.....there are much better tools to use if I need them to feed my family.

Since we are discussing survival ( too include defense) , a body should lean towards the best tool for the tasks at hand.)

At the end of the day, ( egos aside for the moment)........ a solid/ reliable rifle has every advantage in every category when it comes to hunting and especially defense. Instant gratification means instant food in the dirt when you and you'd are hungry. Egos are not edible. Cold, wet, hungry, and tired while hunting with bow or rifle? It is a no brainer as to which one would be more effective .....and in every other category important for survival.

In both cases, critters that end up DRT = less time and calories used up if one has to track thier prey after the shot. ( Almost a guarantee once you stick a deer or hog with a modern carbon fiber arrow with broadhead.......much less a homemade wood arrow and arrowhead made out of stone.) Anyone who claims either can produce DRT kills ( deer/ hogs) on a consistent basis are living in a fantasy land.

Note: Go stick an arrow thru a hog and find out first hand as to the squealing that takes place afterwards. ( Anything from quiet, and just might be where the term " Squeal like a stuck pig " comes from....Lol)

Note: As to locating anything over 1 shot being heard......In reality, one has a general direction of where they heard the shot come from at best. The things you would not know such as how many there may be in that direction, how they might be armed, etc.....is really worth the risk if only armed with a primitive bow? For all you know, the other folks may already know where you are.

As for small game, trapping them is the realistic way to survive. ( No pressing need to use up bullets or arrows if one is a skillful trapper)

Primitive archery is simply not a realistic proposition when it is compared to what replaced it centuries ago.

A few examples where primitive archery would be useless as a hunting tool.....

Pic 1: Antelope at over 600 yards. ( Creep closer? Good luck) Either way.....riflemen have more options.

Pic2: Deer at 466 yards . ( DRT via 308 168gr OTM.....as that is the exit wound in pic) No calories expended or time used up in a stalk. In short....If I can see it, I can kill it. No need to track this one down after it was hit either.

Pic 3: 6 dead pigs in a handful of seconds and inside of recurve bow range. Found 3 more in tree line after pic was taken. With a bow....you end up with one at best....and that you will need to track down after it's been stuck.

Pic4 : 278 yards in high country with wind gusts up past 65 mph. Wet, cold, windy, and miserable with periods of rain, sleet, and snow. In addition, these little beasts won't let you get within shotgun range of them....let alone recurve bow.

Like I said before......This is in relation to surviving with the optimum weapon for it's efficiency. Not ego driven sport hunting. ( Primitive hog hunting has been done with a sharp stick/ spear in modern times. While that may sound impressive, it simply is not the most efficient/ effective means for gathering pork, much less using that spear in the defense. That is why we hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Running out of ammunition = a failure in preparation.
It may not sound as glamorous compared to the post holocaust survivor out there with his homemade weapons, but a CF rifle is much more practical, feasible, efficient, effective, and versatile choice .

One last thing ....Ever try launching an arrow from a bow while in the prone position?

11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	speed goat.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	295118   Click image for larger version

Name:	And 425 yards.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	295120   Click image for larger version

Name:	6 hogs.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	295122  
Attached Images

Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2019, 12:46 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 38,280 Times in 8,907 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everymanalion View Post
Ammo runs out, you have snares and a recurve bow as game getters. set the snares for smaller game and have a tree stand for hunting larger game with the recurve with self made arrows, how viable is this option honestly?
I've got a couple of compound bows. But generally speaking, no.

Simply spend $1000 right now on a .22 and a mountain of ammo. Problem solved. Considering a nice bow is minimum $100-200 and needs to be restrung regularly, and arrows are a few dollars each and do wear out pretty fast...

FAR smarter to get set back a gun and ammo in the totally unlikely fantasy of your proposed situation where "ammo runs out."
The Following User Says Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2019, 01:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,309 Times in 4,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishopj View Post
You can talk about it all day but with out the skills of the primitive Hunter and there weapons you won't make it guns are nice I have many of them but I practice more with Paleo weapons than I do with modern I am not into instant gratification.
I enjoy 3D archery, the season usually kicks off around the end of march and runs through mid August. I have killed a ton of foam animals with a bow and that's the extent of my bow hunting. Although in the past I have hunted live animals now days I hunt foam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2019, 03:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,710 Times in 3,479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
I've got a couple of compound bows. But generally speaking, no.

Simply spend $1000 right now on a .22 and a mountain of ammo. Problem solved. Considering a nice bow is minimum $100-200 and needs to be restrung regularly, and arrows are a few dollars each and do wear out pretty fast...

FAR smarter to get set back a gun and ammo in the totally unlikely fantasy of your proposed situation where "ammo runs out."
Lets take the above $1000 price cap as an example.

I bought a TCR22 ( black Friday) for $225 out the door.

A quick internet search shows the following:

128 bucks will get you a 5000rd case of 36gr HVHP 22LR.

768.60 bucks gets you 6 cases for a total of 30000rds.

Leaves you 7 bucks for a sling w/ swivels.

Note: Cheaper 22lr rifles can be found if 30k ain't enough of a stockpile for you.

Weight per actual 5000 case = 37.35 lbs

Dimension of each case = 13.25x7.25x5.75 inches.

Weight of 30000rds of 36gr 22lr = 225lbs.

As long as the ammo is stored properly for long term, you are gtg.
That is 30000 rounds with rifle set aside for the end of the world.
At the very least.....that ammo will be far more valuable for trade than any primitive bow will become. ( If one has no experience at hunting now, then it will be a much more challenging endeavor to become proficient enough to survive on later.....but can at least pay for some grub.
In all honesty.....I see the latter being a much more common occurrence vs hunting . Either way......it still beats out the prospect of becoming a refugee .

11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191208_121254.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	295140  
Old 12-17-2019, 08:36 PM
Space Force Recruit

Thanked 1,869 Times in 756 Posts

If you're looking at it from a realistic approach and not after you just got done watching The Hunger Games or Green Arrow then yes.

I don't hunt, but I do practice archery with a recurve bow. Fun strength training tool and also helps with hand eye coordination
Old 12-17-2019, 08:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,455 Times in 1,893 Posts

Have you ever considered a scoped crossbow and rat traps? I used to rabbit hunt with one and used empty .38 casings on the tip. Worked well on poaching rabbits and ducks. The rat traps were dyed black with walnut hulls and baited with peanut butter on the trigger, tied to tree trunks. Absolutely devastating on squirrels but place the trigger pointing up thr tree, tree rats approach down a tree.wouldnt use one on a pig but ok on a deer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rural Buckeye Guy For This Useful Post: