Recreation after SHTF - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SilverFire® Disaster and Recreation Stoves & Cookware SilverFire SilverFire 1 04-21-2015 09:36 PM
Rugged Shark?s Shoes for Water Recreation AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 04-22-2014 12:00 AM
ultimate recreation-escape & evasion BOV McGuyversurvivor Vehicles & Transportation 4 03-16-2014 11:12 AM
Right to Carry Guns on Federal Recreation Areas 13ella Political News and Discussion 0 01-12-2014 09:08 PM
Prep vs recreation hzuiel General Discussion 25 07-24-2013 10:45 AM
Canoe vs. Kayak for recreation and SHTF. Charles Martel General Discussion 8 06-05-2013 10:08 PM
Recreation in a post apocalypse xizero General Discussion 21 08-08-2012 06:16 AM
What is the best US state for outdoor recreation? caliguy2010 Polls and Surveys 39 09-25-2010 05:29 PM

Old 07-30-2011, 11:30 AM
Target Shooter

Default Recreation after SHTF

Advertise Here

I've been here a short time, but I have noticed many threads can be a bit depressing what with the talk about preparing for the lerking doom of the world or our nation. I cannot ignore the fact that it's coming, but I would like to lighten the mood about the aftermath. Surely we all will need a break from defending against those pesky raiders and building our new homes in the middle of no where. So, what are your plans for fun after SHTF? Got some books stocked away? Saving a football? What will there be to do with out electric? Most of you will say it living in the outdoors will be recreation enough, but I'm betting that will get old sooner rather than later. Discuss!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlphaPie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2011, 11:58 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,141 Posts

Books and some board games.
The Following User Says Thank You to larryp For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2011, 12:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,965 Times in 3,352 Posts

I have decks of playing cards in my stash. The little ones can build houses with them, and the older ones can learn math skills, and older folks can play a few games of rummy.

Crayons are a good idea.

Read about what they did back in the day. After a full day of work, falling into bed (if there is one) will sound good to me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grandma For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2011, 12:03 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 8,511 Times in 3,912 Posts

A solar panel able to recharge a DVD,gameboy,and other devices is part of my preps for the grandkids,I live OTG and worry about their mental health PSHTF.

Thanks,for a good thread,Bob
Old 07-30-2011, 12:04 PM
A Way of Life

Thanked 1,784 Times in 666 Posts

Badminton, of course.
The Following User Says Thank You to BillyJack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2011, 12:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,965 Times in 3,352 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
A solar panel able to recharge a DVD,gameboy,and other devices is part of my preps for the grandkids,I live OTG and worry about their mental health PSHTF.

Good idea, bobzilla. If my grands make it to my place when it hits the fan, they will have to make do with un-powered 'toys'; things like shovels, saws, etc. Yours are lucky...
The Following User Says Thank You to grandma For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2011, 12:13 PM
Bush Walker

Thanked 5,079 Times in 1,885 Posts

i wonder if fishing will still be as fun
Old 07-30-2011, 12:28 PM
Svensk hamster

Thanked 5,257 Times in 1,954 Posts

Playing kubb with potential firewood

http://www.kubb.co.uk/
Old 07-30-2011, 12:42 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHER View Post
i wonder if fishing will still be as fun
Yes,hunting,foraging,etc.
I could make a speech on "When I was a kid we didn't have videogames,ipods" as I hypocritically type away on the internet.....................
Old 07-30-2011, 12:44 PM
Bush Walker

Thanked 5,079 Times in 1,885 Posts

i mean will it still be as fun when im out doing it to feed the kids so they survive rather than sit back, crack a beer and just enjoy the day

hypocrite
The Following User Says Thank You to BUSHER For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2011, 12:53 PM
Back of beyond!

Location: the high country, n. Arizona. Just recently bought a house off the grid, & had solar pwr installed.
Thanked 4,546 Times in 1,731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post

Bob, if the SHTF, there will be lots to do. Enough work for all of us, including the grand children. When the day is done, sitting by the campfire, relaxing in its glow, watching the stars and falling stars, will be a reward for a hard day's work, will be good for me.
And, watching my grand kids play, and listening to their happy voices will be a reward in itself.

My favorite hobbies, which is simply being in the wild camping, shooting, astronomy, archaeology, reading, etc., will be just as easily attainable as they are now. And actually, even more so, as I'll already be out there at my BOL, and my hobbies won't take much more $$, than they do now.

Heck, when I'm out in the far away places, I rarely miss the tech stuff like TV and the internet. Mother nature puts on a show that can't be matched by any modern gizmos. Most kids love the wild places, they fit right in.

To the OP, my recreation patterns and preferences will much like they are now.
The Following User Says Thank You to desert wanderer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2011, 12:59 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,057 Times in 796 Posts

Folks during the Depression did just fine entertaining themselves! I remember my Grandfather talking about how he and his brothers and sisters played marbles, cards, hide and seek on the farm, and dozens of other games. The spoiled brats running around in our nation now would flat out die without electricity, cell phones, Nintendo's, or PS3. In my opinion one GOOD thing about the coming hard times might just be to give the current youngsters a good dose of what "primitive fun" is. Putting down the remote and finding a good swimming hole and a vine to swing off of might bring them down to earth just a little bit. Oh the tragedy!
The Following User Says Thank You to Spartan300 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2011, 01:06 PM
Hunter

Wink Recreation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaPie View Post
I've been here a short time, but I have noticed many threads can be a bit depressing what with the talk about preparing for the lerking doom of the world or our nation. I cannot ignore the fact that it's coming, but I would like to lighten the mood about the aftermath. Surely we all will need a break from defending against those pesky raiders and building our new homes in the middle of no where. So, what are your plans for fun after SHTF? Got some books stocked away? Saving a football? What will there be to do with out electric? Most of you will say it living in the outdoors will be recreation enough, but I'm betting that will get old sooner rather than later. Discuss!
Building Zombie-Raider traps and snares
Convincing my wife that polagamy is a good idea whose time has come back, that should be fun if nothing else the expression on her face and what she will say should be funny
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daveeds For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2011, 01:08 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan300 View Post
Folks during the Depression did just fine entertaining themselves! I remember my Grandfather talking about how he and his brothers and sisters played marbles, cards, hide and seek on the farm, and dozens of other games. The spoiled brats running around in our nation now would flat out die without electricity, cell phones, Nintendo's, or PS3. In my opinion one GOOD thing about the coming hard times might just be to give the current youngsters a good dose of what "primitive fun" is. Putting down the remote and finding a good swimming hole and a vine to swing off of might bring them down to earth just a little bit. Oh the tragedy!
Some of the greatest movies ever,came out during the Great Depression,I still watch some of them!
Old 07-30-2011, 01:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,835 Times in 5,681 Posts

Position improvement never stops, and neither does preparedness. I'd hate to be caught cold in the winter when I knew I should have chopped that much more wood during the summer and fall instead of doing recreation. I figure there would have to be enjoyment in hunting, fishing, trapping and gardening. Meeting someone 'with news' would be a bit event and likely entertainment.

Sex. Following a major dip in the population, populations rebound by having more children so that would be a short form of entertainment followed by months of pregnancy and then child raising which some find entertaining but I'm no longer inclined toward, done my share already.

When the power goes off and I'm not due somewhere, and it's day time and I'm not at work, all rare circumstances, I generally detail clean something or work on projects to the point that I set it up for the power to come back on and make hand tools.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:13 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert wanderer View Post
Bob, if the SHTF, there will be lots to do. Enough work for all of us, including the grand children. When the day is done, sitting by the campfire, relaxing in its glow, watching the stars and falling stars, will be a reward for a hard day's work, will be good for me.
And, watching my grand kids play, and listening to their happy voices will be a reward in itself.

My favorite hobbies, which is simply being in the wild camping, shooting, astronomy, archaeology, reading, etc., will be just as easily attainable as they are now. And actually, even more so, as I'll already be out there at my BOL, and my hobbies won't take much more $$, than they do now.

Heck, when I'm out in the far away places, I rarely miss the tech stuff like TV and the internet. Mother nature puts on a show that can't be matched by any modern gizmos. Most kids love the wild places, they fit right in.

To the OP, my recreation patterns and preferences will much like they are now.
100% agree,but we do that every time they come to the cabin
Looking at my childhood,Boy Scouts,Muscle Cars,Pool Halls,Wrestling matches,and i want them to socialize as much as possible.
I don't want them to be hermits,living way back in the woods,in a cabin..........wait.............OMG that's me!
Old 07-30-2011, 01:35 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeds View Post
Convincing my wife that polagamy is a good idea whose time has come back, that should be fun if nothing else the expression on her face and what she will say should be funny
Explaining polygamy to your wife?You know this is survivalist forum,right?I'm sure there are a lot of Kamikazee sites devoted to.........................
Old 07-30-2011, 01:41 PM
Most Thankful Guy here

Thanked 47,693 Times in 18,821 Posts

Horse shoes - very little prep.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,030 Times in 1,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeds View Post
Same here. That will be my hobby until I run out of raiders. Maybe the fish and wildlife folks will put bag limits on them so we won't run out. I'd hate to have to find a "real" hobby.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Admiral Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2011, 01:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,155 Posts

My recreation preps are the things I enjoyed as a child: I have some board games, a few decks of cards, dice for Yatzee, four or five baseball gloves and a few balls, we also have a volleyball set in the RV and a wiffle ball and bat.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KCChimneyman For This Useful Post: