Apartment dwellers - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 07-12-2019, 09:12 PM
CanadaEH

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
This.

For anyone living in an apartment, which is many and for many reasons, find an alternate location (family, friends, cabin, etc.) and plan to bug out for any extended emergencies. If a SHTF situation isn't a short term event, departing sooner rather than later is pretty much a necessity.

ROCK6

Great stuff agree with it all. Does he have transportation? We are not from this province both from back in Martimes. My side is 800 miles away very dysfunctional in day to day life if SHTF not sure if that would be our destination? We would have to get out of City that is a given... how long is the big question... then where to go is the next. When raised issue with sibling back there they think I'm crazy plus they say, "that isn't going to happen!".

I'm hoping to build a network here maybe build some allies who also are prepping? Know some local friends out of city but not very close this is a huge challenge... Bug Out Location?
Old 07-12-2019, 09:22 PM
CanadaEH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herd Sniper View Post
If you live in an apartment your first thing to understand is that you're NOT the problem. Your main survival problem will the morons living in the other parts of the building all around you...

Amen!

Got plans for all weather i.e. Guerrilla tape, Duct Tape for windows. Tape sheets of bubble wrap in windows lots in room we hole-up in. Keep warm use also candles keeps our water supply and foods from freezing. We have winter wear and supplies for that.

-goal is 30 days emergency at home. Add to it for year supply of food...
-2 x Get Home Bags in our cars for 72 hours in proper pack. We have emerg. supplies in both cars but not good enough!

-3 x Bug Out Bags (packs) our SHTF, get Out of Dodge packs...

Top two are major priorities. Getting firearms certificate is top priority! Getting firearms and ammo having all family trained on every weapon know where each one is! This is very important to me. I am having issues selling my wife on need for firearms. She is getting more involved with the food now maybe she will lighten up? These latest emergencies do send home the message.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:31 PM
CanadaEH

You are so right! The reason for apartment living are all real and can't change it at the present! Would love nothing more than getting out of the city. We are at 1 million now not for me. Ottawa is unique for a metro city and especially national capitol. It is very laid back and conservative. It also has huge rural areas just minutes outside of downtown literally. Our hopes and plans are to get out buy something small with our son who lives with us (21) he'd he on the deed and all goes to him! But it is getting harder and harder lost my job Jan. work injury fighting WSIB for payments. >:-(

Old 07-12-2019, 09:38 PM
CanadaEH

On 5th floor 12 floor building. yeah everyone else is a problem. The waste is big issue then pests. Later on you would have raiders looking for whatever they could take. Not anyone close to Bug Out To for now... :-( Working on this too...

It is so crazy how few people care about being prepared for anything. I keep quiet but listen trying to pick up on who is or might be interested... so far not found any friends or even family (800 miles away closest)

Either way still need better defenses. Have many special surprises for uninvited quests but want better. If you repel an attack they might come back better armed... I wouldn't be able to defend that! :-(
Old 07-13-2019, 08:11 PM
Priorities. Col. 3:1-4

I won't quote your reply to me due to length, but it sounds like you're well on your way!

I get where you're coming from as a Christian "prepper." It can be hard sometimes to walk that fine line between responsibly preparing to provide for and defend your family vs. living in fear and failing to trust God.

Best wishes to you and yours.
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2019, 01:06 AM
Survivor

Thanked 56,295 Times in 18,380 Posts

Wanted to add:

Ex GF (we are still friends) is 10 years younger, and travel in for work.
I've talked to her (now granted she is welcome here) and reminded her that the best prep she can do is savings.

Cash is a prep.
Old Yesterday, 11:54 PM
Pay attn to "close calls"

Thanked 1,306 Times in 666 Posts

Depends what kinda cash. some countries that experienced a collapse had currency that were worth nothing. Now if you had foreign cash (them green notes), that's another story.

Funny to read the initial thread post: firearms are "expensive". Yes, somewhat. so is a medium range priced smartphone. is the safety of you and family a price tag... rhetorical Q.
along the same theme: plan to move out of the apt dwelling and into a rural place. that should be the long term strategy vice hoping to survive in the big city during a real pickle situation...
Old Today, 01:23 AM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 7,434 Times in 2,838 Posts

Amazon Canada instead of U.S. Try to have it sent to a post box instead of your physical address. Other places also have Canada websites... if nothing else, this will help with shipping costs.

Lots of camping/hunting/fishing/etc. places in Canada... may be able to pay cash for some of the stuff you need.

Itty bitty Bible double sealed in 2 Zip loc baggies for each person.

You can get appropriate sized doggie packs so your dogs can carry some of their stuff. See the threads on prepping for dogs/cats. If the fogs are little, you may have to carry them (carriers; there are backpack and frontpack types). You can teach small dogs to use a litterbox...

How big is the apartment building/complex? If it's small, say 12 or fewer families, you might be able to get to know everyone. Maybe a cookout/pot luck once a month. Maybe even everyone gets on board for benign stuff like in case the water breaks and the landlord can't fix it for a few days due to weekend/weather/holiday... or everyone gets together and asks the landlord for an improvement to the building that would be nice from a prepper standpoint, but has a good non-prepper reason (especially green energy/pollution reduction) for now. Fencing? Solar lighting? Security system? Solar power generation windows? Solar pool heater/pump? Glassed in solarium over the pool? Rooftop or solarium gardening? Greenhouse? Flowers for the pollinators? Fruit trees? Rooftop backup generator for those pesky power outages that happen sometimes because of storms or drunks hitting power poles? if you get really lucky, you and all the other residents could turn your little apartment building into a defensible castle of sorts. It is far better to make friends/allies now when there isn't hunger, cold, or fear driving pretend friendship made using trickery and lies.

Someone I know lives in an 8 family apartment building and they've managed to do a lot of this stuff and more, and all of the families are actually on board. They're all veterans, so it was a lot easier, but it shows it can be done.

Important thing, are you prepped for escape from fire? Even during regular times, fire can happen from an overloaded circuit, improperly grounded appliance, someone making meth, lightning strike, falling asleep smoking or thinking a butt is out, but it's not, etc.

Do you park under your apartment building? Are the doors electric? Is there a manual bypass so you can get your vehicle out during a power outage?

Thermal curtains help keep heat or cool air in. Blackout curtains might become necessary. Choose wisely and neither will look out of place to visitors/inspectors (you like to conserve energy, sometimes have to sleep during the day, blah, blah, blah).

If you plan on bugging out, you need to have a specific destination if at all possible. If so, that is a good place to keep some of your stuff.