Cancelled my knife nut card. - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Survival Knife "collection" Gaston444 Knives, Swords & Axes 44 09-14-2018 12:31 PM
Knife for self defense?... really? Vardegas Knives, Swords & Axes 109 04-29-2018 01:32 PM
My current survival knife system Lee2017 Knives, Swords & Axes 45 04-20-2017 07:47 PM
My experience with a CFK knife. WolfSpring Knives, Swords & Axes 103 02-25-2017 01:29 PM
Outdoor multi-tool, Credit Card Sized Folding Knife - $1.98 + Free Shipping apps47inc For Sale 0 11-14-2016 12:43 AM

Old 12-28-2018, 11:17 AM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,100 Times in 321 Posts
Default Cancelled my knife nut card.

Advertise Here

I've been heading this way for some years now, selling off and giving away most my knife collection. I have to admit I was once a full time knife nut. But over the years there's been a weird kind of awakening, and a increased feeling of "What the hell am I doing with all this s--t."

I've long since sold off my small Randall collection, which was always a disappointment as far as knives go. Too thick, heavy, and everyday steel. My high end folders are very long gone. I find all my needs are met by my everyday pocket knives and some plain Jane working fixed blades. For fish and small game, I can't find much that worked better than a real butchers knife made by Victorinox, or Old Hickory, or Russell-Dexter. For heavier duty a small 12 inch machete made by any of the reputable brands from south/central America. In my pocket everyday is either my old Buck 301 stockman or one of my SAK's. I have a few Mora's around that do good work on gutting and cleaning fish.

As an retired old fart living in Texas and doing more fishing than ever before, I find I need a nice sharp knife everyday. So far in the past three years since we've moved to Texas from the Washington D.C. area, all my knife needs have been met with plain working cutlery that I don't have to worry about loosing or damaging or even giving away to someone who needs a knife.

It was like waking form some kind of temporary insanity and looking back on it wondering what the hell I was thinking. I did the same thing with my gun collection and feel very liberated.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to cbl51 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2018, 11:29 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,609 Times in 1,201 Posts

I still have most of my knives,but in reality these do most everything I need on a daily basis ...

Sent from my SM-J337P using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cliff Nieporte For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2018, 01:22 PM
Old Reformed Rogue

Thanked 1,349 Times in 553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbl51 View Post
I've been heading this way for some years now, selling off and giving away most my knife collection. I have to admit I was once a full time knife nut. But over the years there's been a weird kind of awakening, and a increased feeling of "What the hell am I doing with all this s--t."

I've long since sold off my small Randall collection, which was always a disappointment as far as knives go. Too thick, heavy, and everyday steel. My high end folders are very long gone. I find all my needs are met by my everyday pocket knives and some plain Jane working fixed blades. For fish and small game, I can't find much that worked better than a real butchers knife made by Victorinox, or Old Hickory, or Russell-Dexter. For heavier duty a small 12 inch machete made by any of the reputable brands from south/central America. In my pocket everyday is either my old Buck 301 stockman or one of my SAK's. I have a few Mora's around that do good work on gutting and cleaning fish.

As an retired old fart living in Texas and doing more fishing than ever before, I find I need a nice sharp knife everyday. So far in the past three years since we've moved to Texas from the Washington D.C. area, all my knife needs have been met with plain working cutlery that I don't have to worry about loosing or damaging or even giving away to someone who needs a knife.

It was like waking form some kind of temporary insanity and looking back on it wondering what the hell I was thinking. I did the same thing with my gun collection and feel very liberated.
I know exactly what you mean! It's insane! I've been kinda doing the same thing. Going thru and selling a few off. Still going to keep some of the best to pass on to my grandson. Right now I'm in the process of going thru them all and separating the ones I want to sell and cataloging the rest with info on each and an estimated value so he'll know what he has. Collected for some 30-40 years and really can't say I didn't enjoy it though!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Damascus7 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2018, 01:37 PM
Jr. Member; Sr. Body

Thanked 3,375 Times in 502 Posts

Is it nearby?

Is it sharp?

Will it do the job?

Sometimes, it boils down to simplicity. Find myself regretting some of my purchases, and the knee-jerk "don't-have-it-need-it" mentality for buying things. Doing the same with knives. Always seem to have a SAK Classic, and then some liner or frame lock under $50 folder.

Priorities shift with time. As does budget.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to old_code For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2018, 03:44 PM
Hiker

Using fine knives constantly will turn them into junk: Best keep the scratches for rare occasions on those, or a feeling of dissatisfaction might occur... Their beauty is what you really pay for.

Junk knives are the right thing for constant use.

Randalls are usually fairly thin edged, but the 18 pattern is often loosely (read badly) done, and no more useful than a good dagger, if that. The 12-9 or 12-11s are much better made.

For big knives, Randalls are almost alone in combining hollow grinds with a stick tang (along with being the only forged stainless around): All that is a big deal in actual use, just maybe not for everyday fishing...

Gaston
Old 12-28-2018, 03:52 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston444 View Post
Using fine knives constantly will turn them into junk: Best keep the scratches for rare occasions on those, or a feeling of dissatisfaction might occur... Their beauty is what you really pay for.

Randalls are usually fairly thin edged, but the 18 pattern is often loosely (read badly) done, and no more useful than a good dagger, if that. The 12-9 or 12-11s are much better made.

For big knives, Randalls are almost alone in combining hollow grinds with a stick tang (along with being the only forged stainless around): All that is a big deal in actual use, just maybe not for everyday fishing...

Gaston
I just decided what Chapter 11 of "The world according to "G" will be.

Thanks "G" !

Old 12-28-2018, 08:32 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:

Gaston
The Randall's were the biggest disappointment real world knife performance. Big, thick, heavy and full of hype. They may have been the thing back in 1943, but for knife use now they were not that good. All of mine, the number 14, number 5, number 7 just didn't give the performance for the price. The only good thing I have to say about the Randall's is, thanks to the fan boys who still fall for the hype and made it easy to sell mine off.
Old 12-29-2018, 02:33 AM
Hiker

The BK-2 is probably the king of hype for its 16 ounces weight, though fortunately I hear less of it these days... Even worse is the TOPS Tracker at 21 ounces...

Gaston
Old 12-29-2018, 10:49 AM
Target Shooter

I've come to believe that Jeff Randall was right in his statement that 98% of the knife industry was BS. This from a guy who teaches survival courses in Central American jungles.

All my attitudes that led to my downsizing stated on a Costa Rican rain forest (jungle) trip. Our older son got sent to San Jose for business for 6 months for his company. The wife and I went to visit him and when we arrived found out that son John had arranged a nature seeing trip of almost a week in the Costa Rican jungle. He knew what nature watchers we were and it was so fantastic. By day, we hiked and looked and the company that ran the eco/adventure trip was great. The guides were informative and every night when we reached the new campsite, it was all set up and ready. Tents, fire pits, camp cooking.

One thing I took note of right off, still being in my knife nut years, was all guides all carried the same gear for jungle travel and camp work. There was a small 10 to 12 inch machete in a nice leather sheath in the belt. The small machetes got used for just about everything. Kindling, clearing plants, chopping/slicing up dinner. The guide that was the camp cook used his machete to chop up some vegetables and slice chicken for an Asian stir fry dish in a big wok over a fire. Delicious. The small machetes were used like a French chefs knife. But when it came to chopping down a hardwood sapling for a leant pole over the supplies, they did it in a few chops. On our last nightie the jungle they had a pig roast. The guides used the machetes to slice up and serve the roasted pork. They did great.

The second knife I saw all the guides with wa s a SAK. On their belt was a black pouch, usually nylon and Velcro but some were leather, and Thad a SAK and a Bic lighter. I asked why the Bic, and the one guide that was very very fluent in English said, "Because they always work, Man. Out here we can't have something that only works sometimes. The Bic is the most reliable lighter."

The SAK's all the guys carried were three or 4 layer ones, with saw blades, scissors, and basic tools. Those SAK's plus the small personal machete did everything they needed. Those days on that rip in Costa Rica started me thinking, always a dangerous thing. The next year we did a car trip around the U.S. and at a stop at the mountain man museum in Colorado, I saw how they used plain butcher knives and a tomahawk. No big bowies or Rambo knives.

I decided to learn from history and the guys who went out in the wilderness and really did it. A lot different than playing in your backyard.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to cbl51 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2018, 11:11 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,437 Times in 859 Posts

Being a cheap s.o.b. my philosophy on knives (and guns, tools, clothes, etc.) has always been if I really don't have a use for it don't blow money on it. At times it's been hard to walk away from a knife with my inner 5 year old having tantrums and needing a trip to the outhouse.

None of that applies to books though. This place catches on fire and it's gonna be a four alarmer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xstuntman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2018, 10:57 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 34,508 Times in 11,531 Posts

they will be lighting the fire on me before my affliction for steel subsides. and even then one will go with me. Xbolt EK is going with me when i cross over.............

just remember guys when you leave a knife in a will, gift a knife, or sell a blade, it must leave your hand with a piece of copper. else it can cut friendly tie's, or squelch fond memories..........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	triplet EK 007.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	281742  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2018, 07:09 AM
Hunter

Quote:
The BK-2 is probably the king of hype for its 16 ounces weight, though fortunately I hear less of it these days... Even worse is the TOPS Tracker at 21 ounces...

Gaston
That's strange.
The two BK2s I had worked real well after I stripped the coating and convexed them.
What was it that you disliked about the one you owned?
I traded mine for a couple other knives because I like to use the smaller blades whenever I can.
But when used for anything they were designed to be used for they worked fine for me.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:51 AM
Third World'er Lunatic

f you happen across a BK-1 Brute at a decent price Cliff, let me know.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2018, 08:21 AM
Thread killer

Thanked 1,620 Times in 766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Nieporte View Post
That's strange.
The two BK2s I had worked real well after I stripped the coating and convexed them.
What was it that you disliked about the one you owned?
I traded mine for a couple other knives because I like to use the smaller blades whenever I can.
But when used for anything they were designed to be used for they worked fine for me.

Now that's funny!
The Following User Says Thank You to chops For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2018, 10:39 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops View Post
Now that's funny!
I had one of the Camillus made BK2s...the 0176C stuff,and one of the later Kabar models.
I stripped and convexed them because I don't like coated blades and I do like convex edges.
They both were traded when I started using folding knives more than fixed blades.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:29 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin X View Post
f you happen across a BK-1 Brute at a decent price Cliff, let me know.....
I'll give Kendall (Clark Knives) a call when they open up and see if he has heard of any that are available.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff Nieporte For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2018, 11:58 AM
Third World'er Lunatic

Default they do make a

smaller tops TB Tracker, the TB4, 6.50 "over all, .130 thick, 1095 steel,
as well as they have a TB3 at 10.75" overall,.190 thick, and 154CM stainless,
a TB#2 9.50" Overall length, .190 thick, 1095 steel,
and the TB1, the big dawg. 11.88" overall, .250 thick, 1095 steel.

my issues with the tops tracker, and I have a #1&#4, are as follows.
my nit picky point. dont mean nothing but the design was used in the movie hunted, but it wasnt a Tops Tracker. and it wasnt a Red Scorpion Six, it was a BECK WSK

on the 2 Trackers i own, on the #4 first.

Its a decent small neck knife.#1 the notcher on it is too short lil novelty on a blade that small, but thats it.#2 the dang lanyard hole is too tiny, no way to get 550 thru it, largest I could get thru the hole? orange Naval shotline.# 3 that dang boot/belt clip on the sheath.
I round filed the one on the Scorpions tail karembit (Tops) due to the fact I almost lost the knife twice because Just the act of standing up can pop those clips off yer belt. to me worthless.(I replaced it with a Blade Tech Clip) other that that, decent blade. holds a edge. good small skinner/caper

now on the TB1. I brought in a second opinion on it. I used it for a while, and Shipped it off to my fellow swamp skimmer Carney to tell me what he thought. we came to the same conclusion. BEVEL was way to short for a .250 thick blade. you chop with it, it didnt wedge in it bounced out, and due to that short bevel it dulled quickly .second that damn transition between the edges. all that point is good for is hangin up drawing it from the sheath if you edge down scout carry. I reground it to what it was supposed to have been. A curved gut hook. instead of the straight transition that it was. now with the wider bevel, it buries when you chop in deep.Like it should. It holds a edge better. and well
the notcher is still just a notcher. it will never be a saw, but you can cut a grove with the #1. my other gripes about it, #1. why in the blazes would you go to the trouble of putting nice allen type screws in for removable scales, and then flare on both sides, a bloody tube thru the lanyard hole? drill took care of that lil OH CRAP engineering/design moment.....(no liner on the #4)
#2 . those same weak worthless boot belt clips (except 2 of em) on the kydex sheath. fixed that right quick like with the same style Blade Tech locking clips. keeps the knife tight to your belt, and exactly in place.

The Tracker series from tops can be a decent WSK but you have to make some changes for it to be right. tune up as it were.
heres pics on how it started (prove I got em) I gotta get girlchild to take some pics on what it is now.

also shown is the RED Scorpion Six Preditor, and the Beck WSK which is the one that started it all. look at the difference in lines.

the BECK if its in your price range, is the one to get. the Model C,G or TD. look up his website. explains the use of each cutting edge on the WSK. the Gut Hook, (yep its there)
the staggered tooth saw back, (not a notcher like the others) but hes already full on orders till the end of 2019 on the WSK. www.drbeckknives.com plus the different scale and spacer options, sheath options, and even a baldric and scout carry sheath options. Prices Range from $900 to $850. My retirement plan ever kicks in, I will have one.(lottery) the "C" model...........

pic #1 TOPS
PIC#2 RED SCORPION SIX
PIC#3 BECK WSK(original tracker)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0043.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	281758   Click image for larger version

Name:	RED Scorpion six preditor .jpg
Views:	72
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	281760   Click image for larger version

Name:	beck wsk.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	281762  
The Following User Says Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2018, 12:47 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,301 Times in 718 Posts

I have also greatly reduced my blade addiction. It has been more than a year since I purchased anything. I have a decent collection of machetes, swords, knives, and axes. I have not felt a compelling need to add any more blades. I still look at various magazines and think about it, but for the last year I have told myself I do not need anything else.

I do not have spears or maces in my collection. I have a couple of polearms. I just cannot motivate myself to buy any more.

I have added some more firearms over the last year.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:30 PM
Old Reformed Rogue

Thanked 1,349 Times in 553 Posts

Whenever I get that "gotta have" urge over a peticuar knife I now try to give it three days. If I still feel the same I usually get it. Be surprised how that "urge" sometimes goes away.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Damascus7 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2018, 01:53 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damascus7 View Post
Whenever I get that "gotta have" urge over a peticuar knife I now try to give it three days. If I still feel the same I usually get it. Be surprised how that "urge" sometimes goes away.

I did that, and also adapted a 'one one in ,one-out policy' at the end. If I was going to buy a new knife, I had to decide before hand which knife was going to be replaced and sold off/given away.

That made me really start to question exactly what the new knife was gong to do that the old one would not. Surprisingly the answer much of the times was nothing, so the new knife didn't get bought. The more I re-evluated what I already had on hand, the more I realized that I was equipped at least as well as one of the old mountain men who carved a living out of the Rocky Mountains in winter. Newer and fancier doesn't mean its going to cut any better.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cbl51 For This Useful Post: