zone 5??? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Hot Zone Nomad, 2nd Books, Movies & Stories 10 10-27-2014 12:04 AM
No-Rad-Zone.com HELP Bear00 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 1 08-13-2013 07:28 AM
Time zone frog13 Site Information & Suggestion Box 1 12-18-2012 04:23 PM
expected damages from an earthquake in the New Madrid zone or the Wabash zone Uncle Bob General Discussion 9 04-12-2011 05:14 AM
Libya No Fly Zone Keyser Soze Manmade and Natural Disasters 32 03-18-2011 05:29 PM
The Gun Free Zone AaronP Jokes, Humor & Music 3 03-02-2009 11:40 AM
More Fun In A War Zone 411man Jokes, Humor & Music 4 11-11-2007 12:10 PM
Yes There Is Fun In A War Zone 411man Jokes, Humor & Music 0 11-10-2007 11:11 AM
Plant Hardiness Zone Update "Does it change anyones zone or plans?" eeyore Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 9 10-19-2007 10:20 PM

Old 02-08-2008, 08:54 PM

Default zone 5???

Advertise Here

anyone here that lives in zone 5 ?
if so what are you planting this year?
what and when are you starting indoors?
I have a small 16x20 foot garden and i do alot of container garden/plants
on the deck
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2008, 10:40 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,788 Times in 1,286 Posts

hi, i live in zone 5 too. I have been thinking about what to plant the last couple of weeks and have been looking around on line to get some ideas. I talked to my husband about it last night. he will help me get the plot ready but its really all up to me after that.

I want to get some green beans, tomatoes, spinich, cucumber, and i was thinking of potatoes too.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:46 AM
Survivor

i was thinking of starting indoors the first or second week of march. I'm a first timer though in a way. last year i started sunflowers myself but i did it outdoors. I need some advice. I was trying to look up information las night and couldnt find what i wanted. I was wondering how they started seeds 100 years ago. so far grow lights and special germinating soil have been recommended. I dont want to spend hundreds of dollars on this stuff and if my power goes out then what?

any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2008, 01:35 PM

lights dont have to cost alot all you need is a 4 foot shop light

as far as no power most old houses had large south facing windows
the other option would be cold frames or hotbox or a small green house
Old 02-10-2008, 04:00 AM

In some zone 5 areas they recommend to use zone 4 plants and start dates for seeds as depending where U are in zone 5 it can have temperatures as in zone 4 and the plants, etc. need that extra hardiness. Gunther, if U used the square foot gardening method in your garden plot, U can really maximize the yield of most veges.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:34 PM
Molōn Labe!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 2

you can go with peat pellets, peat pots, soilless mixes, potting soil, seedling containers, or even the dirt straight out of your yard. You can throw seed on the dirt and eventually some of it will sprout. The point of seed starting methods is to improve the germination rates by controlling the conditions of the seeds in their germinating phase. Having control over that many variables allows for stronger seedlings. Then you can transplant into your garden from a month old or longer stocky little plant. Of course, you can always just throw some seed down like i said, but you won't get everything you want when you want it.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteacres View Post
In some zone 5 areas they recommend to use zone 4 plants and start dates for seeds as depending where U are in zone 5 it can have temperatures as in zone 4 and the plants, etc. need that extra hardiness. Gunther, if U used the square foot gardening method in your garden plot, U can really maximize the yield of most veges.
thats a good idea idid have that book couldnt find it so i orderd his new book
and a couple other gardening books from amazon last nignt
was kicking around the idea of making a grid of small raised beds with walk pathes inbetween
Old 02-15-2008, 04:00 AM
"Dolt"

Thanked 3,265 Times in 1,208 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

uuummmm. I got to ask ..... WTH is zone-5? and while were at it how about zone-4? Sorry the whole gardening thing is not in my lane so I try to stay out of it.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocYoung View Post
uuummmm. I got to ask ..... WTH is zone-5? and while were at it how about zone-4? Sorry the whole gardening thing is not in my lane so I try to stay out of it.
Hardiness zone = how cold it gets or dosent get in your area
sort of a guide so i dont try to grow bannas in illinois
also when you know when to plant
The Following User Says Thank You to Gunther For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2008, 05:40 PM
"Dolt"

Thanked 3,265 Times in 1,208 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther View Post
Hardiness zone = how cold it gets or dosent get in your area
sort of a guide so i dont try to grow bannas in illinois
also when you know when to plant
Ahh. Got ya. Thank you for explaining that to me.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:18 AM

no problem im shure others here could have given you a better explanation
but looks like they left the job up to a dummy= me
Old 02-17-2008, 10:12 PM

You can plant lettuce, radishes, Onions as soon as you can work the soil. My grandfather always planted these as close to Feb 14 as possible. Potatoes were planted on St pat's day.
But if you haven't planted these yet, don't feel bad. It's too wet here in MO right now
Old 02-24-2008, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reavilh View Post
You can plant lettuce, radishes, Onions as soon as you can work the soil. My grandfather always planted these as close to Feb 14 as possible. Potatoes were planted on St pat's day.
But if you haven't planted these yet, don't feel bad. It's too wet here in MO right now
I wish i could plant something now but as of today 23rd of Feb we just got 4inches of snow
I do have a few things started inside mostly cold crops
Old 02-24-2008, 04:40 AM

gunther, when late spring hits, plant a lot of strawberries, they do good in zone 5. put down a lot of straw around the base of the plant and that helps keep the roots from getting too cold, helps the berries from touching the ground and degrading and also helps in the summer to conserve watering. I let my runners root, I don't pinch them off and keep putting straw all in your strawberry patch and fertilize it. (I use the straw when I clean out the chicken coop)

In late fall totally cover all your strawberry plants with straw pile it up about 8 inches over the plant bed. Berries do real good in zone 5, if U can also start some berry vines going.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther View Post
I wish i could plant something now but as of today 23rd of Feb we just got 4inches of snow
I do have a few things started inside mostly cold crops
We haven't been able to plant anything here, either. The weather here in MO has been crazy so far this year.
We started the year with tornadoes one day, then the temp dropped, and we got snow and ice. We just had our second ice strom for Feb, then it snowed last night.
We just started our tomato and pepper plants last week, and as soon as we can, we will start planting.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Survivor

Update, I posted on a peas thread a while back cant find it now. Amazingly my heirloom spinich seeds have sprouted. I did the winter sowing method. Im in Oakland County, MI. So far, my snap peas have not done anything yet. Its been several weeks and I wonder if soaking them the night before was a bad idea. We'll see in a couple ofar weeks.

I just started some heriloom tomatoes seeds inside. Im waiting to see if they pop up. This weekend I might start to sew the rest of my vegtable seeds inside. wish me luck. I dont even have a plot ready to transplant these yet but i think i have another month or so before i worry about that.