Surefire flashlights - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Surefire G2X PRO ohnorichardd Firearms General Discussion 4 09-04-2013 11:12 AM
What flashlights fit the Surefire M78 mount kev Military Weapons Forum 4 12-25-2012 12:45 PM
Surefire G2 The Heathen Reviews and questions 6 01-21-2012 01:07 PM
Surefire 'Echo' JayOlliver Knives, Swords & Axes 10 08-19-2011 11:20 PM
Surefire Mags are here! AKpredator Military Weapons Forum 0 08-17-2011 08:22 AM
For Sale: Surefire 6PX Pro The Truth Australia and New Zealand 4 06-22-2011 01:33 AM
Surefire Flashlights that run on different batteries etc Reviews and questions 4 10-29-2009 12:47 AM
DIY $10 Surefire KGB Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 26 06-24-2009 09:17 PM
Surefire G2 dane17 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 23 06-16-2009 09:09 AM
Which surefire ? drewfromden Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 19 06-24-2008 06:47 PM

Old 03-09-2012, 12:56 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 4,541 Times in 1,770 Posts

Advertise Here

My Fenix lights are all dead from normal use ...

My SF lights have not given me any problems ...

Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 03:36 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmike357 View Post
Aren't Surefires made in the USA?
I'm not sure I was just talking about Maglite because I know they are.I think surefire and fenix are made in USA but I'm sure about maglite.

Murfdog
Old 03-09-2012, 04:07 PM
You looking at me!

Thanked 3,908 Times in 1,732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Truth View Post

My SF lights have not given me any problems ...

Can you list all the equipment there in the picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Average Joe

Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,186 Posts

NiteCore all the way.

http://www.nitecore.com/goods_detail.php?id=20
The Following User Says Thank You to TDFbound For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfdog View Post
I'm not sure I was just talking about Maglite because I know they are.I think surefire and fenix are made in USA but I'm sure about maglite.

Murfdog
Surefire is based in Oregon, every model is made in USA. Fenix's are all made in China.
The Following User Says Thank You to Entrekman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,884 Times in 862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfdog View Post

Murfdog
Good enough for me. I am by no means knocking maglite. I have both Maglites and Surefires. When ever possible I try to by USA.
The Following User Says Thank You to irishmike357 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2012, 05:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,966 Times in 1,823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheftothestars View Post
Can you list all the equipment there in the picture.

Top centre is an RA light (now called HDS I believe)

Next one down is Surefire E1B Backup

Next one down is a Surefire 6p

Next one down looks a bit like a solarforce something to me but it could be the older model surefire the solarforce copied off. It possibly has a drop in in it.

Next one down is one of the Malkoffs

No freaking idea what the thing underneath is

Headlight to the right is a Surefire Saint

Penlight on the left is a 4Sevens Preon 2

Headlight on the left is a Zebralight H501

So "TheTruth", how do I score? :P
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kipper For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2012, 05:31 PM
On the way to the gallows

Thanked 12,800 Times in 3,471 Posts

Checkout the Candlepower Forums for the most up to date info about ANY kind of flashlight. Be forewarned though, these guys are total nerds with absolutely no sense of humor but its where you go to find out what's new and how flashlights are performing out in the field.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alpha-Zombie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2012, 06:37 PM
Hunter

The cr123 fad is a load of crock. It is beyond me why someone would want a flashlight that eats batteries every hour.

I like the common batteries (AAA,AA, D, etc) because you can go into any mom and pop store and pick them up...for cheap. Around here, cr123 are expensive and are not carried in great quantities. That allows for some real problems in a SHTF or being in the boonies. My local Wal-Mar only carries 2-4 cr123's at any one time at five bucks a pop, yet I could buy 40 AAA's for 20 bucks. IMHO, it is pretty clear what I would buy.

AAA is my flashlight battery of choice. I have no preference between AA and AAA, they're pretty much the same to me, just that my better flashlights happen to be in AAA. In my BoB i carry a AA and a AAA flashlight just so I could snag the two most common battery types in the US.
The Following User Says Thank You to the cow For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2012, 08:01 PM

Personally I own two sure fire lights. They live in the box of gear labled "crap", because from my experience, that is exactly what surefire is, over priced junk. I have purchased 6 streamlights (for the price of one surefire), that are way cheaper, way brighter with longer battery burn times, brighter lumens period, and most fit nicely on the end of an AR-15 OR into a burglars' stomach when you apply the correct pressure and they continue to work after falling out of a speeding police car at 85mph chasing a robbery subject and then being run over by two more units.

You can keep your expensive surefire penlights. I'll buy a real flashlight! Fools and their money shall soon be parted.
The Following User Says Thank You to o2toxed For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2012, 08:35 PM
Idiot Savant x Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha-Zombie View Post
Checkout the Candlepower Forums for the most up to date info about ANY kind of flashlight. Be forewarned though, these guys are total nerds with absolutely no sense of humor but its where you go to find out what's new and how flashlights are performing out in the field.
Totally agree. Extremely in depth information with a 100,000+ Flashaholics. Most of the top Flashlight companies have reps there. I've been on CPF for 12 years now. Many of us hand build our own lights from scratch. Including milling the parts and circuit design. Even use integrating sphere photometry to measure output.
The Following User Says Thank You to Technologist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2012, 08:43 PM
90/10 headed for 95/5

Thanked 9,213 Times in 4,050 Posts

Hey Chef, I found Lazarus29's thread here to be quite illuminating, pun intended.

All kidding aside, it's definitely worth the read.
The Following User Says Thank You to 357revolverfan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2012, 08:58 PM
Idiot Savant x Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cow View Post
The cr123 fad is a load of crock. It is beyond me why someone would want a flashlight that eats batteries every hour.

I like the common batteries (AAA,AA, D, etc) because you can go into any mom and pop store and pick them up...for cheap. Around here, cr123 are expensive and are not carried in great quantities. That allows for some real problems in a SHTF or being in the boonies. My local Wal-Mar only carries 2-4 cr123's at any one time at five bucks a pop, yet I could buy 40 AAA's for 20 bucks. IMHO, it is pretty clear what I would buy.

AAA is my flashlight battery of choice. I have no preference between AA and AAA, they're pretty much the same to me, just that my better flashlights happen to be in AAA. In my BoB i carry a AA and a AAA flashlight just so I could snag the two most common battery types in the US.
Personally I also feel the "non rechargeable" CR123's are a waste of money in "most" but not all applications. If your equipment hand handle the 3.7 volts. The cost and practicality of switching to rechargeable 16340/CR123A Li-Ion cells are well worth it.

I try to keep away from AA and AAA cell LED flashlights as much as I can. The energy density of rechargeable Lithium-ion battery's is about double and the 1000 or so recharges makes them dirt cheap to operate. Also it's hard to drive AA or AAA lights with high lumens and long run times. For example: Try building or buying a 1000 lumen AA powered light that has any run time. Yet a single cell 18650 multi-mode 1000 lumen LED flashlight can weigh under 6 ounces.
The Following User Says Thank You to Technologist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2012, 02:14 AM
Patiently Waiting

Thanked 13,402 Times in 4,122 Posts

Quote:
Really? I've got a bunch of Fenix and never had a problem. I've dropped most of them onto concrete too.

The only issue I've had is a defective reflector on my TK40 (still awesome), and it was returned in less than a month from the day I posted it with a brand new head.

Personally, I'd buy Malkoff over Surefire, because he builds his lights for rechargeable cells. That and I like to support the little guy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jash For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2012, 02:22 AM

I like Surefire, but can buy a lot of flashlights/batteries for the price of one of them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Madtownangler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2012, 03:01 AM
Badlands

I use Surefire weapon lights on my rifles. And I have an insight pistol light, and am happy with all of them. But when it comes to having some little, cheap, tough little flashlights, I personally like the Polytac lights at Cheaper than Dirt!

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2STL88850-1.html

Hope this helps! Keep your powder dry!
The Following User Says Thank You to makings06 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2012, 06:15 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper View Post

Top centre is an RA light (now called HDS I believe)

Next one down is Surefire E1B Backup

Next one down is a Surefire 6p

Next one down looks a bit like a solarforce something to me but it could be the older model surefire the solarforce copied off. It possibly has a drop in in it.

Next one down is one of the Malkoffs

No freaking idea what the thing underneath is

Headlight to the right is a Surefire Saint

Penlight on the left is a 4Sevens Preon 2

Headlight on the left is a Zebralight H501

So "TheTruth", how do I score? :P
Not too shabby.

In the middle:

HDS EDC Rotary
SF E1B
SF 6PX Pro
SF 6P (heavily modded)
Malkoff Hound Dog ... (if you look close you can see sand in the cracks ... gets heavy use a few times a week on the beach)

(the thing between the 6P and Malkoff is a SF A-19 extender so you can add an extra battery, works with 6P and Malkoff hence between the two).

On the left:

A bunch of emitters for the 6P. The three brass ones are Malkoff (M61, M61LL, M60). The top one with the blue is the basic P60. The one with the copper is a custom made by Nailbender on CPF, and the white thing is a spare optic for the nailbender.

On the left still, below the emitters:

4Sevens Preon 2 with a spare Preon 1 body for some lego.

Below that is a Zebralight H501 with the headband beside.

Moving to the Right side, top to bottom:

SureFire batteries in a Powerpax battery holder.
SF Saint headlamp, in 'Minimus' configuration.
Blackhawk! Mod-U-Lok holster for the SF 6PX Pro/6P/Malkoff Hound Dog.

Below and to the left (bottom center):

HDS holster for HDS EDC Rotary.

And the block on the bottom the battery pack for the SureFire Saint.

Not pictured is a couple more 4Sevens lights (Mini CR2 and Quark AA Tac), and a couple Mag-Lites (3C and 3D) each with their own respective Malkoff emitters. Stacks of batteries not pictured either ...

Old 03-10-2012, 06:30 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cow View Post

This isn't quite correct ...

The supply of CR123 may be low, but the demand is also very low.

In a SHTF, every house will be pulling out their AA-powered flashlight (or AAA or D). This means demand will be great for AA batteries.

No one (here at least) has any use for the small funny-looking CR123 batteries. Supply is low, but demand is almost zero unless the SHTF photographers conference is in town.

If someone has some CR123 cells, I can get them on the cheap in a SHTF.

With AA cells, they will be like gold in a SHTF. I would rather be selling AAs than using them myself. And I'd rather be buying CR123 than AA after a SHTF.

I do have a small stockpile of AAs, but its mainly for barter.

CR123 are more expensive now, yes that is true. I guess its a trade-off I made.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:35 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jash View Post
Really? I've got a bunch of Fenix and never had a problem. I've dropped most of them onto concrete too.

The only issue I've had is a defective reflector on my TK40 (still awesome), and it was returned in less than a month from the day I posted it with a brand new head.

Personally, I'd buy Malkoff over Surefire, because he builds his lights for rechargeable cells. That and I like to support the little guy.
Go figure right? Its funny how it works but Fenix lost me as a customer, unless I need a new bicycle mount because Fenix bicycle light mount is great!

I'm even drifting away from 4Sevens too ... The switch in the recent Quark AA Tac that I purchased is pretty shabby. The CR2 Mini is a great little unit though, perfect for keyrings. Problem is getting hold of CR2 batteries, not very common. I purchased it just so I'd have the ability to use CR2 cells if I come across any.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:57 AM
Idiot Savant x Infinity

Quote:
This isn't quite correct ...

The supply of CR123 may be low, but the demand is also very low.

In a SHTF, every house will be pulling out their AA-powered flashlight (or AAA or D). This means demand will be great for AA batteries.

No one (here at least) has any use for the small funny-looking CR123 batteries. Supply is low, but demand is almost zero unless the SHTF photographers conference is in town.

If someone has some CR123 cells, I can get them on the cheap in a SHTF.
Demand for CR123's would also climb in most SHTF situations. I have about 15 Tactical items that use them. I've got all but my EOTech 553 running the same size rechargeable 16340's instead. The reason for the increased demand for CR123's in a SHTF situation is because almost everything that uses CR123's would be needed in a SHTF situation. Endless FlashLights, Laser sights on guns and Camera's. People will be snapping all kinds of pictures. Just think how many insurance claim pictures will be taken.

Example:
Search for "CR123 Uses"

http://www.google.com/search?client=...og&sa=N&tab=wi

Last edited by Technologist; 03-10-2012 at 07:51 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Technologist For This Useful Post: