Surefire flashlights - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Surefire G2X PRO ohnorichardd Firearms General Discussion 4 09-04-2013 11:12 AM
What flashlights fit the Surefire M78 mount kev Military Weapons Forum 4 12-25-2012 12:45 PM
Surefire G2 The Heathen Reviews and questions 6 01-21-2012 01:07 PM
Surefire 'Echo' JayOlliver Knives, Swords & Axes 10 08-19-2011 11:20 PM
Surefire Mags are here! AKpredator Military Weapons Forum 0 08-17-2011 08:22 AM
For Sale: Surefire 6PX Pro The Truth Australia and New Zealand 4 06-22-2011 01:33 AM
Surefire Flashlights that run on different batteries etc Reviews and questions 4 10-29-2009 12:47 AM
DIY $10 Surefire KGB Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 26 06-24-2009 09:17 PM
Surefire G2 dane17 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 23 06-16-2009 09:09 AM
Which surefire ? drewfromden Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 19 06-24-2008 06:47 PM

Old 03-08-2012, 02:35 PM
You looking at me!

Thanked 3,908 Times in 1,732 Posts
Default Surefire flashlights

Advertise Here

So I'm interested in the Surefire E2D LED
I have the FENIX LD20 (two of them) (2 AA)
and the LD10 (1 AA)

I like the idea of having lights that take an easy to find battery.

So would you add another light that will take a different type of battery but would be a better quality flashlight.
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 02:59 PM

The CR123 batteries have a long shelf life. If you have AA flashlights already, perhaps you should stick to that and not have to worry about two different battery types.

I had the Fenix LD10. I liked it for just that reason, AA.

I used to have several CR123 lights. I got the batteries paid for where I work. Now that I am paying for my own batteries, the CR123 lights sit in a drawer and I use AA lights. Several of them are now available that I would call excellent. I currently like TerraLUX products. I EDC a single AA unit ( the Fenix LD10 died) and really like the two AA they make.
The Following User Says Thank You to daytime dave For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2012, 03:26 PM

I have the E2D and I bought 12 spare batteries but I haven't had to change them out yet. I have probably ran the light for 6-8 hours on low and maybe 30 minutes on high and it is still bright as can be.

-Ned
The Following User Says Thank You to nedley_mandingo For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 04:02 PM

The surefire brand is definitely a good quality one. If you want to stick to AA I would recommend the E2lAA which takes AA batts and has a ggod long run time on low. Malkoff is another good brand that makes some AA lights with long run times and eve has drop ins that will fit in your existing surefire ad greatly increase the run time and make it into a more useful (usually) flood type beam. I recommend reading up on the Candle Power Forum for anyone desiring flashlight knowledge and if you do your due dilligence and ask questions that are not answered a dozen times a day with a little searching the members are very knowlegable and helpful.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Partial Deck For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,884 Times in 862 Posts

I personally treat my lights like I do my weapons and prefer to have a mix. I would hate to find some D batteries and only have lights that use AA. I have a light that uses AAA, AA and D. Like having .22, 5.56 and 12 gauge lol.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to irishmike357 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2012, 04:35 PM

I mix, I have lots of Surefires, they sell spare battery carriers that also hold a spare bulb for incandescent models. Great Quality and probably the Cadillac of lights...
The Following User Says Thank You to cudakidd For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2012, 04:44 PM

I mix too and agree that surefire is one of about four "cadillacs" of lights in terms of reliability and quality. Amazingly there are several single person manufacturers out there making what can only be described as the "Bugattis" of lights and they are extremely well regarded but at $500-$2500 + each it will remain beyond my means and probably truly desires as well. Imagine loosing one?
The Following User Says Thank You to Partial Deck For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2012, 05:38 PM

Surefires are nice flashlights, but the main problem I have with most Surefires is they eat batteries like it is going out of style. Unless you are clearing rooms, for the most part I don't see the utility in lighting up an entire grid square. I would think in a survival situation I would not only want a light with a common battery like AAs, but one that doesn't use them up so fast.
The Following User Says Thank You to RonnieBaker For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2012, 06:13 PM
The War to end all Wars

I have an E2L AA and love it. I am trying to limit my battery powered devices to AA so the E2L seemed a reasonable choice. It is solid, durable and reliable. Lots of light in either mode. Didn't like the price though - not cheap.
The Following User Says Thank You to ww1military For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2012, 08:17 PM
SIE

I've got a couple surefire's (aviator and kroma) and a LOT of Fenix. I'd stick with the Fenix since they have much longer run times and IMHO are about the same quality as a Surefire.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cacique500 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2012, 03:51 AM
Prepared

What wrong with maglite there reasonable price and reliable.My 3-aa led is great.

Murfdog
Old 03-09-2012, 06:11 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,966 Times in 1,823 Posts

My 2c

1. Batterys: You can get lithium primaries in either AA or CR123 format. Lithium primaries will give you a 10 year shelf life. You cannot get CR123's everywhere, you cannot buy cheap alkaline CR123's in an emergency and you cannot buy Eneloop CR123's so your stuck with Lion which, imo, is less desirable. CR123's will allow you to get a light that has more output in a smaller package though.

2. Surefire vs Other brands: IMO (and it is just my opinion) Surefire flashlights are overpriced. Surefire flashlights can and have failed. That said they are probably more reliable than the likes of Fenix and 4Sevens. If you have the cash, are only going to carry one light, and you are likely to depend on that light with your life get a Surefire. If not buy the ones like you already have (Fenix,, 4Sevens etc) and carry a backup. You can buy 2 decent lights for less than the price of 1 Surefire. Then chance of 2 4Sevens lights failing you in the same week is very very remote, probably more remote than a Surefire failing you.

So to answer your question, it depends. If you do go with the surefire rout for everyday use I would buy yourself some RCR123's and a charger for them, you dont want to be burning through lithium primaries all the time.

Overall I think being able to use 2 different types of batteries offers more flexibility.

FYI 4Sevens offers lights that are lego-able so you can buy a CR123 light and then a AA battery tube and use your light on either batteries.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kipper For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2012, 06:56 AM
Patiently Waiting

Thanked 13,402 Times in 4,122 Posts

Have a look at the offerings from Malkoff. Gene's MD2 with high/low ring is a marvellous light. His work is second to none. The lights are some of the most efficient available and have very good runtimes.

You can use an 18650 li-ion rechargeable battery in it, just be sure to learn proper care for a li-ion cell. I highly recommend AW brand. Keep 50 CR123s for emergencies and you're laughing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jash For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2012, 06:57 AM

There is no more proven brand then Surefire, they are to high yield lights what Glock is to polymer frame pistols, they did is first they did it best. Though unlike Glock Surefire continues to evolve thier products exponentially. They have been used in combat since they became avialable. I just picked up 2 of thier 2011 6PXPro 200 lumen LED units and they are very impressive, have them mounted on 2 AR's. I carry a 2 year old 'Backup' model whenever I am out and carrying a handgun. (meaning anytime I go anywhere and carry a 1911) I also have several 6P's. To compare a Surefire to a maglite is the same as comparing a .308 to a pellet gun.

You can beat the hell out of them and they will keep running, my hunting light (6P) has been dropped 20 feet from a treestand, fell on the pavement out of my truck, fell in a creek when I was dragging a deer, and other spills I prob dont remember. Its still on the origional bulb and works perfectly. And the 6P is an entry level unit for Surefire.

Using a 200 lumen light outside at night is amazing, 6PXPro will light up a target at 100 yards with perfect clarity. On that topic, the quality and design of the reflector, lens and bezel are often over looked, there are other hi yield lights out there but many have a much less, clean, even and focused distribution, believe it or not you can see a major difference between some brands.

Anyway, bottom line is you get what you pay for usually and Suerfire is worth every penny, hope this helps your decision.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kahr40 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2012, 07:26 AM

Anther vote for sure fire here, mine have never let me down and they have been through a lot.

I simply have a stockpile of batteries and a charger - also looking at investing in a solar charger that has the option to power charge even cr batteries.
The Following User Says Thank You to Praedaeon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2012, 07:53 AM
Idiot Savant x Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheftothestars View Post
So I'm interested in the Surefire E2D LED
I have the FENIX LD20 (two of them) (2 AA)
and the LD10 (1 AA)

I like the idea of having lights that take an easy to find battery.

So would you add another light that will take a different type of battery but would be a better quality flashlight.
I have several FENIX and Surefire's and yes they are great lights. But you can also find newer 1000 Lumen $30 (compared to $150+) lights that just hit the market and are 4-5 times brighter. This light below will run 50-70 hours on low and uses $2 rechargeable 18650 Li-Ion batteries. 5 modes, excellent throw and efficiency. 100 Lumens per watt on High, 130+ Lumens per watt on low. It can't be beat for the Lumens and low price. Great tactical feel. Automaticlly stores the memory of the last brightness setting.

I own several of that exact model and they really excel. I use them on my Triathlon bike, in my vehicles and next to my Glock 17 on my duty Holster. The downside is that the free shipping takes 2-4 weeks from Hong Kong. I would do a full video review but I just don't have the time.

Here's the spec sheet of the CREE LED inside:
http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/XLampXM-L.pdf

The Light:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafi...-x-18650-91091

Charger for this light:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/digital...y-charger-6105

4x 3000Mah Li-ion batteries for this light
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:L:OC:US:1123
The Following User Says Thank You to Technologist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2012, 09:55 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Deck View Post
I mix too and agree that surefire is one of about four "cadillacs" of lights in terms of reliability and quality. Amazingly there are several single person manufacturers out there making what can only be described as the "Bugattis" of lights and they are extremely well regarded but at $500-$2500 + each it will remain beyond my means and probably truly desires as well. Imagine loosing one?
One of the engineers I work with machined an all alluminum body and wired up a custom made flashlight with I think 8 LEDs and that thing would blind anyone. I asked what it would cost to sell those and he put something like 80 hours into machining it so it would cost a fortune. Pretty amazing what some people can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfdog View Post
What wrong with maglite there reasonable price and reliable.My 3-aa led is great.

Murfdog
I actually love my two 2-cell maglites. I replaced the stock bulb in each with an LED drop in and they are MUCH better now.
The Following User Says Thank You to irishmike357 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2012, 10:13 AM
Prepared

Kahr40 just to let you know glock was NOT the first polymer gun.But I do like surefire but for the price Maglite is my choice.They are made in USA what else could u ask for.

Murfdog
Old 03-09-2012, 10:30 AM
1 riot 1 ranger

Thanked 1,679 Times in 830 Posts

When the SHTF I don't want anything that uses batteries.

http://http://the-gadgeteer.com/2005...hlight_review/
Old 03-09-2012, 11:03 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfdog View Post
Kahr40 just to let you know glock was NOT the first polymer gun.But I do like surefire but for the price Maglite is my choice.They are made in USA what else could u ask for.

Murfdog
Aren't Surefires made in the USA?