Survivalist Forum banner
23K views 78 replies 17 participants last post by  gallon 
#1 ·
Hay everyone,

Im looking at making some Meals in a jar with freeze dried and dehydrated foods that will last for a couple years. I am on the search for recipes! I have found a couple of good ones so far, like Rainy Day Food Storage and Chef Tess. What i am looking for is some of your recipes and mixes that you know are good. The more recipes the better!! Looking at making some mylar MRE style meals to keep in the bob and car ready for when ever I need them.

Any input, tips, tricks, or secrets that you can provide would be helpful! As I work through the process I will post some pic's of what I come up with. I can truly say that I am excited to get this project going, and cant wait to see how it turns out!

#2 ·
There is a Recipe section. It is a sub-section of the Farming, Gardening & Homesteading section. A number of people have posted the type meals you are looking for in that section.

I personally keep several different meals staged this way. It is much less expensive than boxed meals from the store, much healthier and I can tailor the seasonings to my family's preferences.

#4 ·
Here's my recipe for JAW Mac (Just add water).

1/2 cup elbow macaroni
3 tbsp powdered cheese (Honeyville)
2 tbsp powdered butter (Honeyville)
1 tbsp instant milk (Honeyville)
pinch of salt and pepper

Storage:
Put macaroni at bottom of jar, then get a small baggy and measure out the powdered contents. Stuff that in the top of the jar and add an O2 absorber for long term storage.

Preparation:
Boil 3-4 cups of water.
While water is coming to boil, place the dry ingredients in your bowl.
Once water is boiling take approx 3/4 cup of hot water from the pot and pour it into your dry ingredients bowl.
Dump in your macaroni and boil for 9 minutes.
While pasta is cooking, thoroughly mix your cheese sauce with a spoon or fork, taking care to get all the chunks out (unless you like the cheesy chunks!).
Drain the pasta and dump in your bowl.

Presto! Single serving mac and cheese that tastes just as good as the Kraft stuff with only water.

#5 ·
Tips - here are a few. I tend to scatter them as I post so you may see some of them in several different places as you read.
* Sometimes some of your ingredients need to cook a bit longer than others. There are a few ways to deal with that. One is you can package (think ziploc bags) different parts of the recipe separately within the jar. The other is you can purchase or make dehydrated versions of the longer cooking food. Beans comes to mind, for my jar recipes I normally use dehydrated beans in the mix. Those are beans that have been cooked and dehydrated. You can do them yourself with a dehydrator or you can purchase them that way. They are beyond handy for quick meals.

*When using dehydrated foods in your mixes, make sure they are dried to a "snap." That is when you bend a piece it snaps or breaks instead of folds. It needs to be crisply dried or it will not store and will ruin your jar meals.

*Put a copy of the recipe or at least cooking instructions with every jar. By doing that, no matter the circumstances whoever picks up the jar meal can make dinner (or breakfast.) That gives the person who made the jar meals the freedom to be busy, be sick, be away from the house and others still be able to quickly produce a tasty, healthy meal.

* If some of the ingredients you need for a jar meal are "wet" ingredients, store them together if at all possible and also note on the jar and on the other ingredients they go together. I will use this example, there are other foods this can apply to. There is dehydrated and freeze-dried ground beef. I don't really like the texture of dehydrated as a normal course of events and I reserve freeze dried for my long term storage because it is a bit pricey. That leaves me with home-canned ground beef or frozen. I can quite a bit of meat so if I make up a "meal kit" I usually put the jar with the meat and the jar with everything else for the meal together so I don't have to search or worse don't have one or the other of the jars. I have used large ziploc bags (some of my shipments come using them so I have them on hand) to group the containers. I have also rubber-banded jars together and with very unsatisfactory results, I duct taped some jars together. (Unsuccessful because the jars were a nightmare to get the glue off of after use.) If it is frozen food I am matching, I put it in a special place in one of my freezers and label it - "Meat for Jar Meal #4" or whatever is appropriate. The freezer packages are almost always pre-cooked meat that goes in a recipe.

Here are some spice mix recipes that come in very handy to me when mixing meals in a jar. Some are mine and some are other people's, I've used them all.
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=261597

Here are a few rice recipes I've adapted to storage.
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=299235

There are quite a few others in the recipe section, the DIY section and some in the Urban section. :)

#7 ·
I use some 1 quart mylar to package individual serving size meals that works fine. I put all the dry ingredients in, seal it up and write the rehydrating/cooking instructions on the bag.

Actual retort canning or wet-food canning in pouches is pretty much impossible to do effectively at home without some really expensive equipment. Without the appropriate processing you are taking some real risks with food safety, regardless of what Youtube videos say.

#9 ·
This doesn't quite fit with what your looking for, but I thought I would pass it on anyway. I got a can of green beans and one of those foil bags of instant mashed potatoes (roasted garlic flavor) opened the bag of potatoes then opened the green beans, drained the water from the green beans into the instant potatoes and stirred the potatoes. It tasted pretty good as is, if you have a tender pallet you can season to taste.

#11 ·
One thing to think about. I dont like using the O2 absorber packs because they are a chemical and I dont like putting any form of chemical in my food. The O2 absorber packs, absorber the O2 and then all that is left is nitrogen. So I got a bottle of N2 from a welding shop and purge my bags and jars with nitrogen. That way in several years I can open the food up and there are no chemicals in my food.

#17 ·
As proof that your method is safe you offer a thread from a different forum that someone would have to join that forum to read. The proof you offer is, in your own words, simply where you explain what you did.

Something to think about - If I say the sky is green and offer as proof that somewhere else I said the sky is green, that does not affect the sky color whatsoever.

#22 ·
The least expensive retort canner I could find anywhere is over a thousand dollars. A decent looking quality and options looks like it starts at about $2200.

The user who mentioned retort canning (canning in pouches) mentioned "a canner."

It is important for anyone considering canning in pouches be aware it is not something you can do in a standard canner. That was my point, not that it can't be done, but that it is not an easy or even vaguely inexpensive method of food storage.

It also will not address the meals-in-a-jar information request of the OP. There is an active thread in the General Preparedness section on retort canning.

#26 ·
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/vac...medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping.com+Campaign for the chamber sealer. add your American canner, say $250, pouches $50. under $1k

I can't understand why you think this is magic. the chaber sealer is required because it has the best sealing bar and external bag sealer, aka seal a meal etc cant melt the pouches enough to seal properly. I cold pack my chicken (uncooked) and cook my chili, let it cool (can't seal and vac hot food) in the pouch then cook in the canner just like jars for 60 minutes.

But if you think this is hard or costly it isn't for you but doesn't mean it doesn't work for others. I have eaten chicken that I canned in the pouch that was two years old was fine.

#31 ·
Lots of Jar or Mylar pack meals from food storage & How to.

http://cheftessbakeresse.blogspot.com/p/52-method-recipe.html

I have only tried the "Country Sausage, Hash Brown and Pepper-Cheese Scrambled Egg Breakfast Skillet" Really like it. Ova easy brand eggs definitely make a difference in the taste.

Chef Tess also publishes a book of food storage Jar recipes - but almost all the recipes are on her blog.

Warning: Most of her recipes call for her own brand of spice mixes $$$. You can just substitute your own blends.

#56 ·
As soon as I am done correcting the mis/dis info in this thread. A few people are off to a bad start and a few are spewing falsehoods. This, I can't nor will I ignore. My apologies.

#59 ·
I can't promise how good this will seem, since it does involve oatmeal, but here's a breakfast recipe I keep made up for everyday use and have several made up for our "go box" supplies.

Instant Oatmeal Packets - each one of these are equal to about two of the packets you buy at the grocery store.

1 cup quick cook (5 minute kind) oatmeal, divided into two 1/2 cup portions
1/2 cup powdered non-fat milk
1/2 tsp. cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice or apple pie spice (your choice)
1/4 cup sugar (slightly more or less to taste)
2 tsp powdered butter (optional, my guys like it but it isn't necessary for success)
1/4 cup of freeze dried or very dehydrated fruit, chopped into small pieces

Instructions:
Run 1/2 cup of the oatmeal through the blender or food processor into a powder.

Place all ingredients into a jar or 1 quart mylar bag. For long term storage, place O2 absorber in container and seal appropriately. For daily use I use 1 pint jars so you can mix it, fix it, and eat it all in one container. (The majority of my food ideas are based on one principle - EASY. :))

When you are ready to prepare oatmeal, add 1 1/4 cups boiling water, stir well, and let sit for 7 - 10 minutes. Then add as much additional water as you like for your preferred consistency. I do it that way because I've got one who likes a clump of oatmeal and one who likes oatmeal soup.:xeye: This way once it's ready, they can doctor to their heart's content. :)

Ideas: when I use freeze dried apple pieces, I put apple pie spice in the mix, freeze dried peaches gets cinnamon, you can mix up all kinds of fun flavors.

#64 · (Edited)
Here is something that I have found interesting in my internet search for recipes!

EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN
Putting the Foods You Love Into Food Storage
by Wendy DeWitt
everythingunderthesunblog.blogspot.com

There are many questions and concerns about food storage. What should you buy? What will it cost? Where do you store it? How do you cook it? What about rotation? The following information answers all of these questions and more. It will give you the knowledge you need to put the foods you love into your food storage.

#65 ·
Part 2

Beef Stew makes 8 cups Creamy or Tomato style. 1 pint bottled beef, 1 recipe cream of mushroom soup (using beef soup base instead of chicken soup base) (Tomato style: 1 c tomato powder + 2 c water=2 c tomato sauce) 1 c dried carrots, 2 Tb dried onion, ½ tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper, 1 bay leaf, 1 tsp thyme, 1 c diced potatoes.
Use the beef juices and water to make the cream of mushroom soup. (Or make the tomato sauce). Place all ingredients in large covered dish and simmer several hours.

Chicken Alfredo makes 10 cups.
1 recipe Alfredo sauce, 1 pint bottled chicken (drained) 1 pound spaghetti noodles, 8 c water, 1 - 2 Tb parsley, ½ - 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp salt, 1/8 tsp pepper.
Make the Alfredo sauce. Heat salted water and spaghetti in separate large covered pots (or canning jars w lids). Add warmed spaghetti to hot water, cook 15 - 20 min. and drain. Stir noodles, sauce, parsley, garlic, salt, pepper and chicken together gently and return to oven for 20 min. or until hot.

Chicken Creole makes 10 cups.
1 ½ c rice + 3 c water + ½ tsp salt (5 c cooked rice) 1 pint bottled chicken (drained) ¼ c dried celery,
¼ c dried carrots, 1 bay leaf, 1 c tomato powder + 2 c water, 2 Tb dried onion, ½ tsp sugar, ½ tsp seasoning salt, ¼ tsp pepper, 4 tsp Worcestershire sauce, 3 Tb cornstarch, 1 c water, ¼ c dried parsley optional: ½ c dried mushrooms.
Split the 3 c water, ½ tsp salt and 1 ½ c rice between 2 canning jars, cover and cook about 40 min. Hydrate vegetables. In a large covered pot, put vegetables, tomato sauce, bay leaf, sugar, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire. Cook 30 - 45 min. Put the 1 c water or broth and cornstarch in another jar and shake until smooth. Add chicken and cornstarch mixture to vegetable mixture and cook uncovered until thickened. Serve over the rice.

Chicken Delight makes 9 cups.
1 ½ c rice, 2 Tb beef soup base, 3 Tb dried onion, ½ recipe cream mushroom soup, ½ tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper,
2 c water, 1 pint bottled chicken. Optional: ½ c dehydrated mushrooms.
(May use broth and water to equal the 2 cups liquid.) Mix all ingredients in a large covered pot. Cook in solar oven for 4 hours or until rice is cooked. Remove lid and cook another ½ hour or until browned.

Chicken Fricassee makes 6 cups of broth and 8 cups of potatoes.
4 tsp chicken soup base + 4 cups water, 4 tsp dry onion, 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp pepper, ½ c white flour and water as needed, 1 pint bottled chicken (undrained) 6 c instant potatoes + 4-6 c water.
Combine the 4 cups of water, soup base, undrained chicken, onion, salt and pepper in a large covered pot. Place the 5 ½ c of water in another covered pot (or jars) and heat both pots in solar oven until hot. Take out the broth and slowly add flour and water mixture. Return to the oven to thicken. Take out the pot of hot water and stir in instant potatoes. (Make sure they’re nice and thick) Place the potatoes on a plate, scoop the center to the sides, making a “bowl” and spoon the chicken and broth mixture into the “bowl”.

Chicken and Rice makes about 12 cups.
1 recipe cream of mushroom soup, 1 Tb lemon juice, ½ tsp salt, 2 c rice, 4 c water +1 tsp salt (Don’t add salt if broth is used) 2 Tb dried onion, 1 pint undrained bottled chicken, ¼ tsp pepper, 1/3 tsp paprika
Optional: 1/3 c dried celery and ½ c sliced toasted almonds.
Add broth and water to make 4 cups. Add the rice to the liquid and cook in solar oven about 40 minutes or until done. In a large covered dish, mix the cream of mushroom soup, lemon juice, onion, paprika, pepper, salt, chicken and cooked rice. (And optional celery and almonds) Cover and bake until done.

Chicken Soup makes 12-14 cups.
8 tsp chicken soup base + 8 c water, 4 tsp dried onion, 1 c dried carrots, ½ tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper
1 pint bottled chicken (undrained) ½ c dried celery, ½ c dry rice. Mix all ingredients and simmer.

Chili makes 12 cups.
1 pound (or 2 ½ c) washed pinto beans , 7 c water, 1-2 tsp salt, ¼ c dried onion, ½ -1 tsp garlic powder, 3-4 Tb chili powder, 3 tsp cumin, ¼ tsp cayenne pepper, 1 Tb sugar, 1 pint ground beef, 2 c tomato powder + 5 c water.
Place water in a large covered pot and heat to as close to boiling as possible. Add beans. Cover and soak beans out of the oven for 1 hour. (Use soaking water to cook beans) Cook beans in covered dish 4-5 hours. Add remaining ingredients and simmer until done.
Chili-Mac Makes 10 cups (add more water or broth if it’s too dry)
2 c macaroni, 2 Tb dried onion, ¼ tsp garlic powder, 2 Tb chili powder, 1 ½ c tomato powder + 3 c water (3 c tomato sauce) ½ tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper, 1 pint bottled ground beef.
Add beef broth and water to equal 3 cups of liquid. Add water and tomato powder to make tomato sauce. Add liquid, tomato sauce, macaroni, garlic, chili powder, salt, pepper and ground beef. Cook until macaroni is done.

Goulash makes 14 cups.
3 c macaroni, 6 c water, 2 c tomato powder + 6 c water (6 c tomato juice) 2 tsp dried onion, ¼ tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp pepper, 1 pint ground beef (undrained) 1 can of corn (undrained.)
Heat the 2 c water and salt in solar oven until very hot. Cook the macaroni in the water about 20 min or until done. Do not rinse. Add rest of the ingredients to the macaroni, return to oven and cook until done.

Macaroni and Cheese makes 10 cups.
4 c macaroni, 8 c water, 10 Tb mac + cheese powder, 1 tsp salt, 1/3 c dry milk + 1 ½ c water, 2 Tb butter, ½ tsp salt, 1/8 tsp pepper.
Heat the 8 c of salted water and the macaroni in separate containers. When the water is hot, add the macaroni and cook for 15 - 20 min or until done. Drain. Add butter, cheese powder, salt, pepper and milk.

Rice-a-Roni makes 8 cups.
2 c rice, 1/4 - 1/3 pound spaghetti (1 cup of 1" broken pieces) 1 Tb. dried onion, 2 tsp dry parsley, ½ tsp dry ginger, ½ tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper, 4 Tb shortening, 4 tsp chicken soup base + 4 c water, optional:
1 pint jar chicken, ½ c sliced toasted almonds and ½ c each dried carrots and celery.
In the solar oven, heat the shortening in a large pot. Dutch ovens are great but this can also be done in several canning jars with lids. Break the spaghetti into 1" pieces. When the shortening is hot, stir in the rice and broken spaghetti and cook until browned. (Jars can cook on their sides for this) Add the rest of the ingredients, cover and cook for 40 - 50 min. or until done.

Shepherd’s Pie makes 12 cups.
1 can corn (drained) 1 can green beans (drained) ½ recipe tomato soup, 2 Tb dried onion, 1 tsp salt,
¼ tsp pepper, 1 pint bottled ground beef (drained), 3 c instant potatoes + 3 c water (4 c potatoes)
Make the tomato soup. Heat 4 c water in jars or covered pot until very hot. Mix the ground beef, corn, green beans, tomato soup, onions, salt and pepper into a covered pot. Take the water out of the oven and wrap it in a dark cloth to keep it hot. Place the meat mixture in the oven and bake 45 min. or until hot. When it’s done, mix the instant potatoes and the hot water and spread on top of the meat mixture.

Spaghetti makes 10 cups.
1 pound spaghetti noodles, 1 recipe marinara sauce, 1 pint bottled ground beef or sausage (drained) 4 c water, 1 tsp salt.
Make marinara sauce and add drained meat . Heat salted water and spaghetti in separate covered pots (or use caning jars) add spaghetti to hot water and cook 15 - 20 min. Mix sauce and noodles.

Sweet and Sour Chicken makes 7 - 8 cups.
1 pint chicken, 1 1/3 c rice, 2 2/3 c water, 1 can pineapple, 2/3 c vinegar, 1 1/3 c sugar, 4 Tb cornstarch,
4 Tb soy sauce, 1 tsp Molasses, 1 Tb. dried onion. (opt. ½ c sliced almonds, ¼ c dehyd. celery.)
Heat the rice and water in separate jars. When hot, combine and cook until done. (Heat bottled chicken at the same time.) Put the pineapple juice, vinegar, sugar, cornstarch, soy and molasses into a qt jar. Shake well and cook in solar oven. Cook and shake this sauce repeatedly until thickened. On the bed of cooked rice place the heated chicken, almonds, pineapple, and hydrated celery. Pour sauce over the top.

Taco Soup makes 12 cups.
1 pint bottled ground beef or sausage, 1 can corn, 1 can kidney beans, 1 29 oz. can stewed tomatoes, 2 c water (OR 1 c water and 1 c tomato sauce) 2 - 3 Tb taco seasoning, 2 Tb onion, ¼ tsp garlic.
Place all ingredients in covered dish and let simmer.

Tamale Pie makes 10 cups.
1 pint bottled beef or ground beef (drained) 1 c tomato powder + 2 c water = 2 c tomato sauce
½ pound (1 ¼ c) washed pinto beans + 3 c water + 1 tsp salt (3 c cooked beans) 2 Tb dried onion, ½ tsp salt, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp oregano, 2 Tb chili powder, ¼ tsp pepper.
Topping: 1 2/3 c cornmeal, 1 2/3 c white flour, 2/3 c sugar, 2 “eggs”, 5 tsp baking powder, ½ c dry milk + 1 c water, 1/3 c melted shortening, 1 tsp salt.
In large covered pot, heat 3 c water as close to boiling as possible. Add beans. Cover and soak out of oven 1 hour Add 1 tsp salt to beans and cook in oven 4 -5 hours or until done. Melt the 1/3 c shortening and set aside in the sun. Put the beef, tomato sauce, cooked beans, onion, garlic, oregano and chili powder in a covered baking dish and bake 20 - 30 min. While it’s cooking, make the topping by stirring together the flour, sugar baking powder and salt. Stir in the cornmeal until well blended. Add “eggs” and milk and stir to a smooth batter. Fold in the melted shortening just until blended. When meat mixture is done, remove from oven, spoon topping over meat and bake again about 30 - 40 min. or until cornbread is done.

Tomato Soup (Condensed) makes 2 cups.
1 c tomato powder + 2 c water = 2 c tomato sauce, 2 Tb dried onion, 3 Tb melted shortening, 6 Tb white flour, ¼ tsp pepper, milk if needed, ½ tsp seasoned salt, ½ tsp soda, 2 tsp sugar.
Melt 3 Tb shortening in a canning jar in the solar oven. Place the flour, milk, salt and pepper together in another jar, shake to mix well (no lumps!) and heat. Add heated flour mixture to the melted shortening and stir or shake well. Heat another 10 -15 min. Continue to shake and cook until thickened. Add the onion, soda and sugar to the tomato sauce and slowly blend the two sauces together. Add milk if needed to attain consistency of condensed tomato soup. Return to solar oven and gently heat. Do not boil. (For soup, add 3-4 cups of milk then stir and heat.)

COOKING PASTAS
To keep pasta from getting pasty, use 2 pots with lids or jars with lids. Heat the dry pasta with a little oil or shortening in one; heat the salted water in another. When the water is hot, combine the two.

Macaroni makes 5 c cooked.
2 c macaroni, 2 - 3 c water ½ tsp salt.
Heat water and salt until very hot. Add heated macaroni to the water and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.

Spaghetti makes 4 c cooked.
½ pound spaghetti (break noodles to fit cookware) + 1-2 tsp shortening, 3-4 c water, ½ tsp salt.
Heat water and salt until very hot. Add heated spaghetti and cook 15 to 20 minutes.

SAUCES

Alfredo Sauce...almost. makes 2 ½ cups.
½ c water + 1/3 c dry milk = ½ c evaporated milk, 3/4 c Parmesan cheese, 1/8 tsp white or black pepper,
pinch of nutmeg, ½ c dry milk + 2 c water (2 c skim milk.)
Place 2 cups of milk in a canning jar and cook until hot (20 min). Place the ½ c evaporated milk, pepper, Parmesan, and nutmeg in another canning jar and shake to mix. Slowly add a little of the evaporated milk mixture to the hot milk and shake. Repeat until it’s all mixed together. Return the jar to oven for 15 to 20 min. to thicken. (You may have to add 1 Tb cornstarch and 1 Tb of water if it doesn’t thicken.)

Cream of Mushroom Soup (without the mushrooms) makes 4 cups.
½ c dry milk + 2 c water, 1 c white flour, 3 Tb shortening, 3/4 tsp seasoning salt, 1/8 tsp pepper, ¼ tsp onion powder, ½ tsp thyme, ¼ tsp garlic powder, 2 tsp chicken soup base + 1 ½ c water.
Melt the shortening in a canning jar, add the milk and heat. Heat flour and seasonings in a second jar. Combine the two and shake well. Put soup base in a jar and place both jars in the solar oven. After 10 min. take the milk jar out and shake it well. Return to the oven for another 10 minutes. Repeat until thickened. Remove both jars from the oven and slowly begin to add the hot broth to the thickened milk mixture, stirring or shaking until you have the consistency that you desire...either condensed or as soup.

Marinara Sauce makes 4 cups.
2 c tomato paste + 4 c water (4 c tomato sauce) 1 tsp garlic powder, 1-2 Tb dried onion, 1 ½ tsp dried basil,
½ tsp oregano, ¼ tsp salt, ¼ tsp crushed red pepper,1 tsp sugar. Or use 2 - 3 tsp Italian seasoning in place of other spices. Mix all ingredients in 1 or 2 canning jars and let it simmer.

SNACKS AND DESSERTS

Apple Crisp makes (1) 9x12 pan.
2 c dry apples , 3 c water, 2 Tb + 1 tsp cornstarch, 3/4 c sugar, 1/3 tsp salt, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/3 tsp nutmeg,
2 Tb lemon juice.
Topping: 1 c rolled oats, 1 c brown sugar, 1 c flour, ¼ tsp salt, 1/3 tsp baking powder, ½ c shortening.
Mix dry ingredients for apple crisp in large covered pot, add water and lemon juice; mix well. Bake in covered dish 1 - 2 hours or until done. Mix the topping with pastry blender or fork, spread over cooked apples and return to oven for 30 - 40 min (uncovered) until browned.

Brownies makes 1 8x8 pan or 4 pint jars.
1 c shortening, 2 c sugar, 2 c white flour, 1 tsp vanilla, 4 “eggs”, 2/3 c baking cocoa,
½ tsp baking powder, ½ tsp salt. Optional: 1 c chopped walnuts.
Make your “eggs”. Mix shortening, sugar, and vanilla. Add eggs and mix. Add flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and vanilla and mix. Bake in 8x8 pan (or jars) about 45 min or until done.
Frosting:
6 Tb shortening, 6 Tb cocoa, 2 Tb corn syrup, 1 tsp vanilla, 2 c powdered sugar, 2-4 Tb milk.

Chocolate Cake makes (1) 9x12 pan or 6 pints.
3 ¼ c white flour, 2 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp salt, 1 ½ c sugar, ½ c cocoa, ½ tsp baking powder, 2 c water,
2Tb vinegar, 2/3 c melted shortening, 5 tsp vanilla. ½ c chocolate chips, ½ cup walnuts.
Melt shortening. Combine dry ingredients in large bowl. Mix together melted shortening, water, vinegar and vanilla and stir into the dry mixture until smooth. Pour into 9x12 greased and floured pan (or greased jars) and bake for 30 - 40 min or until done.

Chocolate Chip Cookies makes 3 dozen.
1 c shortening, 3/4 c sugar, 3/4 c brown sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, 2 “eggs”, 2 ½ c white flour,
½ tsp water, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 c chocolate chips. 1 c nuts.
Mix shortening, sugars, vanilla, water, soda and salt until creamy. Add “eggs”, flour, nuts and chips.
Bake in oven on cookie sheets or in jars until done.

Chocolate Pudding or Pie makes 7 cups.
3 c pudding mix, 5 1/3 c water (1/4 to 1/3 ratio)
In a container with a tight lid, combine mix and water and shake until blended. Let sit for 5 - 10 min until set. Use as a pudding or make a graham cracker crust and have pie.
To make a pie crust, crumble enough crackers to equal 1 cup of crumbs. Add 1/3 c brown sugar and 1/4 cup melted butter and press into a pie pan. Use as is or you can bake the crust in the oven until browned.
Graham Crackers
1 ½ c white flour, 3/4 c wheat flour, ½ tsp salt, 1/3 c brown sugar, 1/3 c shortening, 1/3 c honey, 3 Tb water, 2 tsp cinnamon, 2 tsp sugar.
Combine all dry ingredients except cinnamon and sugar. Cut in shortening to consistency of cornmeal. Stir the honey and water into dry ingredients. Divide in half and roll each half out onto ungreased cookie sheet to ¼” thickness. Cut into squares and prick with a fork. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar and bake 15 - 25 min. Store in airtight container.

Spice Cake makes (1) 9x12 pan or 6 pint jars.
3 cups white flour, 2 c sugar, 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp baking soda, 1 ½ tsp ground cloves, 2 ½ tsp cinnamon,
2 ½ tsp nutmeg, 2/3 c melted shortening, 2 Tb vinegar, 1 ½ c water, 2 “eggs”, 2 Tb vanilla.
(grease pan with 1 tsp shortening + 1 tsp flour) optional: ½ c raisins and ½ c walnuts.
Melt the shortening in solar oven. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. In another bowl, mix the melted shortening, water, vinegar, “eggs” and vanilla and stir into the dry mixture until smooth. Pour into a greased and floured 9x12 pan or greased jars and bake about 1 ½ hours or until done.

Tapioca Pudding makes 9 cups.
1 c sugar, 9 Tb minute tapioca, 2 ¼ c dry milk + 7 ½ c water, 3 “eggs”, 1 Tb vanilla.
Put all ingredients except vanilla into your painted canning jar. Cook in solar oven for about 30 min. Remove, shake well and return to oven. Continue cooking and shaking jar every 15 - 20 min until tapioca swells up (total time: 60 -75 min). Add vanilla, shake and pour into dishes. Pudding thickens as it cools.

Wheat Thins
½ c wheat flour, ½ c white flour, ½ tsp salt, ¼ c shortening, 1 Tb dry milk + ¼ c water, 1 tsp molasses.
Melt shortening. Mix dry ingredients in large bowl. Combine milk and molasses and stir into dry mixture. Place a ball of dough the size of a tennis ball in the middle of a greased cookie sheet and cover with a sheet of waxed paper. Roll out thinly, covering sheet. Peel off the waxed paper and cut with pizza cutter into desired shapes. Bake 30 - 40 min or until browned. Salt while hot.

USER FRIENDLY FOODS AND MEAL IDEAS
Some of these recipes may need electricity and will not be suitable for the solar oven.

Breakfasts
Remember to add the milk, sugar and dash of salt to your breakfasts if needed. Try cold cereal, Pop Tarts, granola bars, flavored instant oatmeal. They have a decent shelf life and kids love them.

Malt-o-meal (1 cup, once a week) 1/4 c M/M = 1 c cooked.

28 oz box =4 ½ c dry or 18 c cooked.
1/4 c x 52=13 c = 3 boxes Malt-o-meal
1 c water per 1/4 c malt-o-meal=52 c = 3 1/4 gal water

Oatmeal (two cups, once a week) 1 c oats=2 c cooked

1 #10 can=24 c cooked
1 c oats x 52= 52 c = 4 1/3 #10 cans oats
2 c water x 52=104 c= 6 ½ gal water

Pancakes (5-6 pancakes, once a week) 1 c Krusteaz=5-6 pancakes.

A 10 lb bag Krusteaz = 40 c.
1 c Krusteaz x 52=52 c= 1 1/3 bags Krusteaz
3/4 c water x 52=39 c= 2 ½ gal water
½ c syrup x 52=26 c=208 oz = 9 - 24oz bottles syrup

Scrambled eggs and sausage (or ham) (4 eggs, twice a month)
4 fresh eggs x 26=104 eggs (add salt + pepper)............ 8 - 9 doz eggs
1 pint sausage (or ham) x 26=...................................... 26 pints sausage

Dinners

Chicken and rice (makes 6 cups, once a week)
1 pint chicken x 52=.................................................... 52 pints chicken
1 can cream of chicken or mushroom soup x 52=........ 52 cans soup
1 1/2 c rice (makes 4 ½ c cooked) x 52=78 c=............. 6 ½ #10 cans rice
3 c water x 52=156 c=.................................................. 9 3/4 gal. water
1 Tb onion x 52=52 Tb=............................................... 3 ½ c dry onion
Cook the rice in the water. Add the rice, chicken, soup, onion and bake. Opt. top with cheese.

Chile and fry bread (6 fry breads with chile, once a week)

or Chile and cornbread.
1 - 15oz can chile x 52=.............................................. 52 cans chile
1 ½ c flour x 52=78 c=.............................................. 6 ½ #10 cans flour
½ tsp salt x 52=26 tsp=............................................. 26 tsp salt
1 Tb shortening x 52 + 4 Tb for frying x 52=260 Tb.... 7 # shortening
½ Tb baking powder x 52=26 Tb=........................ 3/4 # baking powder
3/4 c (+ or -) water x 52=39 c=................................... 2 ½ gal water
Mix the flour, salt, 1 Tb shortening, baking powder and most of the water together and knead. (Add more water as necessary.) Let this dough sit for 30 min. Pull off pieces of dough, flatten into disks and fry in melted shortening on your stove. Cover with the heated beans and optional cheese.

Hamburger pie (makes 5-6 cups, once a week)
1 pint bottled beef or hamburger x 52=.................... 52 pints beef
1 can corn x 52 =...................................................... 52 cans corn
1 can green beans x 52=........................................... 52 cans green beans
1 can tomato soup x 52=.......................................... 52 cans tomato soup
2 Tb dried onions x 52=104 Tb=...............................7 cups dry onion
1 1/2 c potato flakes x 52=78 c=.................... 6 ½ #10 cans potato flakes
3 c water x 52 = 156 c=............................................. 9 3/4 gal. water
Place everything except the water and potato pearls in a casserole dish and heat in the solar oven. Heat the water at the same time. When the mixture is hot and the water is hot, add the potato pearls to the hot water and top the mixture with the potatoes. (Top with cheese?)

Parmesan chicken (makes 7-8 cups, once a week)
1 pint chicken x 52=............................................... 52 pints chicken
½ pound spaghetti(4 c cooked) x 52=26 pounds=.. 6 #10 cans spaghetti 1 jar spaghetti sauce x 52=........................................52 jars sauce
½ c Parmesan cheese x 52=26 c=.......................... 5 # Parmesan cheese
3 c water x 52=156 c=.............................................9 3/4 gal water
Cook the spaghetti in the water. Layer spaghetti, chicken, Ragu, bread crumbs, cheese and bake.

Salmon and rice (makes 6-7 cups, once a week)
1 pint salmon x 52=................................................... 52 pints salmon
1 ½ c rice (makes 4 ½ c) x 52=................................. 6 ½ #10 cans rice
1 Tb lemon pepper x 52=52 Tb=............................... 13 oz lemon pepper
1 can corn or other vegetable x 52=............................ 52 cans corn
Cook rice in the water and serve salmon over the rice. Corn is a side dish.

Sweet and Sour Chicken (Makes 7 - 8 cups)
1 pint chicken x 52=.................................................. 52 pints chicken
1 ½ c rice x 52=78 c=............................................... 6 ½ #10 cans rice
3 c water x 52=156 c=............................................... 9 3/4 gal. water
1 can pineapple x 52=............................................... 52 cans pineapple
2/3 c vinegar x 52 =35 c =280 oz=............................ 2 gal. vinegar
1 1/3 c sugar x 52 =70 c=.......................................... 35 # sugar
4 Tb cornstarch x 52 =208 Tb=................................ 4 ½ # cornstarch
4 Tb soy sauce x 52=208 Tb=.................................... 1 gal. soy sauce
1 tsp Molasses x 52=.................................................. 12 oz molasses
1 Tb dried onion x 52=52 Tb=.................................... 4 c dried onion
(opt ½ c sliced almonds, ¼ c dehyd. celery)
Cook the rice in the water in a qt jar or covered pot. (Heat the chicken in its jar at the same time). Put the pineapple juice, vinegar, sugar, cornstarch, soy and molasses into a qt jar. Shake well and cook in solar oven. Shake occasionally and cook until thickened. On the bed of cooked rice place the chicken, almonds, pineapple, and hydrated celery. Pour sauce over the top.

Taco soup (makes 9-10 cups, once a week)
1 pint ground beef or sausage x 52=................ 52 pints meat
1 can kidney beans x 52=................................ 52 cans kidney beans
1 can corn x 52=............................................. 52 cans corn
1 29 oz can stewed or reg. tomatoes x 52=....... 52 cans tomato
2 c water x 52=104 c=..................................... 6 ½ gal. water
3 Tb taco seasoning x 52=156 Tb=9 3/4 c=..... 2 ½ # taco seasoning

Easy meal ideas:
Bottled meat and barbeque sauce over rice, potatoes or bread.
Bottled meat with green chili, onions and Mexican spices on fry bread or tortillas.
Chicken, tuna, beef or peanut butter sandwiches on homemade bread(Use mayo and pickle packets). Chicken or tuna mixed with cooked noodles and cream of chicken soup.
Hamburger Helpers….add a pint meat.
Boxed macaroni and cheese.
Ragu or Prego and bottled sausage over spaghetti or on a homemade pizza crust….top with cheese. Tomato soup and oyster crackers with a toasted cheese sandwich. Ramen soup, Cup-a-soup, Campbell’s soups, dry packaged soups.

Freeze Dried Foods:
The advantages of freeze dried foods are numerous: They take little space, are easily prepared with hot water, the taste is very good, there is a wide variety from which to choose, the cooking time is just 10 minutes and they have a 30 year shelf life. The disadvantages are the high cost and the fact that the industry considers a serving to be one cup of prepared food.

SOURCE LIST
Shop around for your best prices. Use the internet...Ebay, amazon.com Google etc.

Blendtec.com 1-800-253-6383 (The LDS Church rarely endorses a product, but because 90% of those who have food storage don’t have a wheat grinder, they have chosen to endorse the Blendtec electric and hand wheat grinders.)

Bulkfoods.com: Buy unflavored gelatin, powdered molasses, dried fruits and vegetables, etc.

Cost Co/Sams Club: Good prices on chocolate chips, flour, sugar, nuts, Parmesan cheese and yeast.

Food Saver and Jar Sealer: Most stores carry these but the internet is the best place for inexpensive ones. The Jar sealer attachments can also be found here.

Internet-grocer.com Canned cheddar cheese ($2.75 / 8 oz can) or butter ($4.50 / 12 oz can)

Spices: Sahuaro Spice Co. Phoenix 602-272-8557. Fresh spices sold by the pound. Price list can be faxed. Store spices in mason jars to preserve freshness, but don’t vacuum seal fine powders...it can clog the works.

Solar ovens: Do some research on the internet or at the library. Global Sun Oven sells for about $200 at survivalunlimited.com/solar aimdiscount.com/SOven or kansaswindpower.net/solarcookers.

Walton Feed Lots of bulk food items (dehydrated celery, sweet peas, sour cream, etc) 1-800-847-0465.

EQUIVALENCY INFORMATION

APPLESAUCE............... 16 Tb / c 4 c / qt
APPLE SLICES... 10 c in a #10 can =1 ¼ # 1 c dry + ½ c water=2 c fresh
BAKING POWDER ............... 32 Tb=1#
BAKING SODA ...................... 32 Tb=1#
BEANS ............................... 1 #=2 ½ c dry = 6 c cooked 12 c in a #10 can
BUTTER (canned) ............... 12 oz can=24 Tb or 3 sticks of butter
CARROTS.......... 12 c in a #10 can=2 ½ #. ½ c dry=1 c hydrated carrots
CELERY ............. 2 oz=1 c. 12 c in #10 can. ½ c dry=1 c hydrated celery
CHEESE (canned) ................ 8 oz per can
CHEESE POWDER ... 4 c in 1 # of powder. 96 Tb=1#. 1 Tb per 1 c cooked
COCOA..................90 Tb =1# Store in jars. Don’t vacuum pack
CORNMEAL............................ 4 c=1 #
CORNSTARCH....................... 45 Tb=1#
EGGS (powdered).................... 32 eggs=1#. 2 eggs=1 oz
FLOUR.................................... 19 c=5# 12 c in a #10 can
GELATIN (Knox ................ 1 oz unflavored gelatin=12 tsp of gelatin=12 “eggs”. 1# gelatin=192 “eggs” (egg substitute) 1 tsp gelatin + 3 Tb cold water + 2 Tb hot water=1 “egg”
HONEY................................... 20 Tb=1 c 13 oz=1 c 6 c=5#
HOT CHOCOLATE ................ 12 c in a #10 can #10 can=56 liquid c
MACARONI...................... 12 c in a #10 can 4 c = 1 # 2 c dry=5 c cooked
MALT-O-MEAL.................¼ c dry=1 c cooked. (1) 28 oz box=4 ½ c dry
MEATS......................... 1 pint bottle holds 1# of meat 1 qt bottle holds 2#
MILK..... 1/4 c dry milk + 1 c water=1 c milk. 12‑13 c powder in #10 can
about 1/3 # dry = 1 c dry a #10 can=58 liquid c
MUSHROOMS......................... 4 c dehydrated=3 oz 20 c=1 #
NOODLES............................... 4 c=8 oz 2 c dry=2 c cooked
REGULAR OATS.................... 12‑13 c in a #10 can 1 c=4 oz
ONION........½ onion=2 – 3 Tb dry. 16 Tb dry=1 c. 12 c=#10 can=192 Tb PARSLEY................................ 30 Tb=1 oz
PEPPER.................................... 4 Tb=1 oz 1 c = 4 oz
PIZZA SPICE........................... 42 Tb=1#
POPCORN............................. 12 c in a #10 can 1 c popcorn=16 c popped
POTATO flakes ............ 12 c in a # 10 can. 3 c flakes + 3 c water + 1 c milk= 4 1/2 c potatoes
PUDDING MIX....................... 12 ‑13 c mix in a #10 can
RAISINS.................................. 4 c=1#
RICE...............................12 c in a #10 can 2 1/3 c=1# 1 c raw=3 c cooked
SALT.............................. 1 ½ Tb=1 oz 1 container=26 oz = 39 Tb=117 tsp
SHORTENING ............... 227 Tb=6# can 17 Tb =1 c 2 1/4 c=1# 1 c shortening + 6 tsp water=1c butter
SOUP BASE............................. 1/8 - ¼ c dry makes 6 c broth
SPAGHETTI............................ 4 ‑ 5 # in a #10 can 8 oz=4 c cooked
SPICES..................................... 1 c = 4 oz = 16 Tb 64 Tb=approx. 1#
SUGAR (white)................. 12 c in a # 10 can. 2 c=1#. 1#= 32 Tb = 96 tsp
SUGAR (brown)...................... 1 1/3 c=1#
TAPIOCA................................ 40 Tb=1# 1 Tb=1 c cooked
TOMATO POWDER ............... 1 c powder + 2 c water=2 c tomato sauce
WHEAT........................... # 10 can=5.8 # =12 c=18 c flour when ground
1 c wheat = 1 ½ c flour, 1#=2 ¼ c wheat=3.37 c flour
YEAST..................................... 1# compressed= 32 Tbs
Shelf life: indefinite in freezer..1 year out of freezer

Index

Alfredo Sauce (almost)........... 10 Granola................................... 7
Apple Crisp............................ 11
Beef and Beans...................... 7 Grape Nuts............................. 7
Beef Soup............................... 7 Jar Cakes and Breads.............. 4
Beef Stew............................... 7 Macaroni and Cheese............. 9
Bottling Meats......................... 2-3 Marinara Sauce ...................... 11
Bread Whole Wheat.............. 6 Milk Variations....................... 5
Brownies................................ 11 Muffins Oatmeal.................... 6
Butter...................................... 4 Muffins Whole Wheat............ 6
Cheese (canned cheese).......... 4 Mushroom Soup..................... 11
Chicken Alfredo..................... 8 Oatmeal.................................. 7
Chicken Creole....................... 8 Parmesan Chicken ................. 14
Chicken Delight...................... 8 Pressure Canners ................... 2
Chicken Fricassee................... 8 Rice-A-Roni........................... 9
Chicken and Rice................... 8 Rice Cereal............................. 7
Chicken Soup......................... 8 Shepherd’s Pie........................ 9
Chili........................................ 8 Solar Oven Cooking .............. 3
Chili-Mac................................ 9 Source List.............................. 15
Chocolate Cake...................... 11 Spaghetti................................. 9
Chocolate Chip Cookies......... 11 Spice Cake.............................. 12
Chocolate Pudding/Pie............ 11 Sweet & Sour Chicken............ 9
Cinnamon Bread..................... 6 Taco Soup.............................. 10
Cooking Pasta......................... 10 Tamale Pie.............................. 10
Cornbread............................... 6 Tapioca................................... 12
Cream of Mushroom Soup..... 11 Tomato Soup.......................... 10
Eggs (knox & fresh)............... 4 User Friendly Foods............... 13-14
Equivalency page................... 16 Vacuum Sealing Foods........... 5
Freeze Dried Foods................. 15 Water Storage......................... 5
Goulash.................................. 9 Wheat Cereal.......................... 7 Graham Crackers 12 Wheat Thins............................12

#66 ·
Meals in a Jar: From Pancakes to Baby Back Ribs, Just Add Water

Chicken Noodle Soup
Makes 8 servings

For soup mix: In each of 8 quart-size canning jars or retort pouches, add, seal, and then pressure-can for 75 minutes:
• 1 cup chopped lightly browned chicken
• ¾ cup chopped onion
• ¾ cup peeled and chopped carrots
• ¾ cup chopped celery
• 2 tablespoons chicken soup stock
• 1 slice dehydrated lemon
• 2 teaspoons dried thyme
• 1 bay leaf
• Water, to cover and leave 1 inch of headspace in a 1-quart jar, or 2 inches in a retort pouch

For noodle packet: In each of 8 vacuum bags, add and then seal:
• 2 cups egg noodles

In each of 8 Mylar bags, tote bags, or vacuum bags, store:
• 1-quart jar or retort pouch chicken soup mix
• 1 packet noodles

Combine the chicken soup mix and 12 cups of water in a large pot over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and add the noodles. Simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the noodles are tender. Remove the bay leaf and lemon slice, and serve.

Omelet in a Bag
Makes 16 (2 to 3-serving) meals

In each of 16 zip-top quart-size freezer bags, package:
• ¼ cup powdered eggs
• 1 tablespoon finely grated Parmesan cheese
• 1 teaspoon dried chives or thyme
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• 1 pinch pepper

Heat a medium pot of water over medium heat to just simmering. Add ¹⁄₃ cup of water to the bag and squish the bag to combine (or put in a bowl and stir with a fork). Place the bag of omelet mixture into the water and simmer 10 to 15 minutes, until solid and just cooked through. Divide the omelet into portions and serve.

Peanut Butter Cookies
Makes 6 batches (about 3 dozen cookies each)

For cookie mix: In each of 6 vacuum bags, Mylar bags, or jars, add and then seal:
• ½ cup granulated sugar
• ½ cup brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon powdered eggs
• 1¼ cups flour
• ¾ teaspoons baking soda
• ½ teaspoon baking powder
• ¼ teaspoon salt

For peanut butter: In each of 6 vacuum bags or disposable 4-ounce containers, add and then seal:
• ½ cup (4 ounces) peanut butter

For shortening: In each of 6 vacuum bags, add and then seal:
• ½ cup shortening

In a Mylar bag, tote bag, or vacuum bag, store:
• 1 jar or pouch cookie mix
• 1 packet peanut butter
• 1 packet shortening

Preheat the oven to 375°F. In a large bowl, combine the shortening, cookie mix, and 2 tablespoons of water until a stiff dough forms. Roll into small balls about the size of walnuts and flatten with a fork in a crisscross pattern. Place on a baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly brown.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.