Survivalist Forum banner

SHTF Medical Reference 101 (free ebook/PDF)

5K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Vodka Wizard 
#1 ·
I've always been a bit of a medical addict, which probably explains my choice of profession now. But when the SHTF or worse, could I remember which antibiotics are first-line for what, in what dose, or how to treat x/y/z? Maybe. Maybe not. I might be cold, hungry, fatigued, sleep-deprived and maybe even ill.

There is "For When There is No Doctor" (excellent book). I wanted something slightly more geared towards SHTF/TEOTWAWKI, so my original plan was just to print out a dozen or so Wikipedia pages, laminate, and stick in my "Big Red Folder". But the project blossomed somewhat, and ended up in a 1,299 A4 page behemoth. Helpfully though, it's a 101 (Wikipedia) Page compendium, sorted, categorised, and hopefully helpful to the wider community at large.

It isn't perfect; I deliberately stopped at '101 articles' because that's already quite a lot, and it has a nice ring to it. The antibiotics listed are the ones I (personally) consider worth stocking up on. Just remember for any of the tetracyclines do not store them beyond their expiry date.

The Contents

Overviews and Introductions
Acute (medicine)
Chronic (medicine)
Infection
Infection control
Wound
Wound healing
Infectious disease
Sterilization (medicine)
Fever
Rash
Fatigue (medical)
Management of dehydration
Oral rehydration therapy
Isolation (health care)

Bacterial & Viral Infections
Common cold
Typhoid fever
Typhus
Diphtheria
Poliomyelitis
Tetanus
Dysentery
Bubonic plague
Septicemic plague
Pneumonic plague
Tuberculosis
Influenza
Influenza prevention
Influenza treatment
Bacterial pneumonia
Pneumonia
Cholera
Malaria
Pertussis
Escherichia coli
Pathogenic Escherichia coli
Measles
Mumps
Rubella
Chickenpox
Smallpox
Anthrax
Salmonella
Botulism
Meningitis
Shigella
Shigellosis
Diarrhea
Gastroenteritis
Campylobacter
Irritable bowel syndrome
Antibiotic-associated diarrhea
Peritonitis
Sinusitis
Laryngitis
Conjunctivitis
Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus
Gangrene
Necrotizing fasciitis
Campylobacter jejuni
Listeria
Legionella
Legionnaires' disease
Rabies
West Nile virus
Yellow fever
Lyme disease
Scurvy
Rickets
Hepatitis
HIV/AIDS
Scarlet fever
Asthma
Diabetes mellitus
Giardia
Cryptosporidium
Rheumatic fever
Leprosy
Upper respiratory tract infection
Rhinitis
Pharyngitis
Epiglottitis
Tracheitis
Laryngotracheitis

Pregnancy
Pregnancy
Nutrition and pregnancy
Prenatal care
Childbirth
Complications of pregnancy

Heart-Related
Angina pectoris
Myocardial infarction
Cardiac arrest

Drugs and Solutions
Antibacterial
Antiseptic
Ciprofloxacin
Azithromycin
Amoxicillin
Penicillin
Chlorhexidine
Lugol's iodine
Tincture of iodine
Sodium hypochlorite​

It's probably too big for me to upload directly here, but you can download a free copy from here (109mb).

See less See more
#9 ·
Half those diseases have nearly identical symptoms and require a microscope to identify definitively.

I haven't seen one but I would love a guide to general antibiotics based on presented symptoms and not lab-verified diagnosis. So much of modern medical advice depends on technology; something we won't have the luxury of.

Many of the problems faced in medical books can be avoided with what one would learn from a field hygiene book. I'd look around to add one info those as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.