Job security - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stack-On 14-Gun Security Cabinet w/Security Box ($35 Value) - $99 + $9.97 S/H apps47inc For Sale 2 11-29-2014 07:37 PM
What is security? BlasdeLezo Political News and Discussion 9 10-23-2014 08:57 PM
ATIONAL SECURITY DOJ to ban religious, racial profiling in national security probes madcritter General Discussion 5 09-30-2014 08:12 PM
ZMODO Security System any Good? Need a Security system ASAP, Car was broken into..... ROMAK47 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 29 08-29-2014 10:56 PM
12.00 Home security and portable perimeter security solution. Brian from MI Urban Survival 9 08-18-2012 02:43 PM
Cheap DIY Home Security, Camp Security, Bug out Security Vibration alarm Festes DIY - Do It Yourself 3 05-10-2012 11:09 PM
In the name of security dpetty121263 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 19 12-27-2011 06:25 PM
Homeland Security? - Security slip let suspect on plane, near takeoff Steverino General Discussion 10 05-06-2010 11:27 PM
Site security / road security / driveway security Big Eye Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 5 09-22-2008 11:17 AM

Old 04-12-2008, 02:22 AM

Default Job security

Advertise Here

With the potential for a recession and high enemployment in the next few years because of high fuel and food prices world wide, and economic unrest. I believe many people should step back and asses what they do and what they will do if they became replaceable due to a major downturn in the economy. Will the 22 yo down the road work longer and for less than you because he doesnt have any bills or debts to repay?

At the moment im an apprentice fitter and turner in australia, sort of a combinatin of a machinist, welder, millwright trade. im fairly safe in my job as i earn a low wage because im an apprentice, and therefor on a cost per unit of labor basis its cheaper to keep me than an unskilled worker. Because there is a dire skills shortage in this trade in australia in the event of world wide depression I would hope that i could find work or keep my job.

Governments seem to be pushing for an academic west, where scholarly education is preferable to a technical one, this has many pluses but in the event of a depression will the world need, thousands of lawyers, managers, accountants ect ect. what would these people do if they were laid off enmass. what would you do?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GQtim For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2008, 04:24 AM
Gold memba-золотой член

After the collapse of Soviet Union in the early nineties, and I was there at the time, there were times somewhat similar to what is expected by some to eventually happen in this country/worldwide. Yes, a lot of folks with higher education ended up doing jobs that required much less qualification than they had since there was little to no demand in their respective fields. Engineers unloading railroad cargo cars was pretty common thing of the day. In general, the more skills one had the better the chances of being of any use a person had but this holds true in all circumstances. If you have some spare time on hands and don't feel too old, I 'd say go and check out your local community college. There are some interesting and fun classes there and the price is negligible. Now we 're talking about stockpiling skills
Old 04-12-2008, 07:40 AM
The end is near.

Thanked 1,102 Times in 461 Posts

One of my jobs is at a Walmart. (Ducks the rotten tomato and cabbage barrage) I chose to work there because I could transfer my job to a lower cost of living area and because there is a fair amount of job security there and because the benefits are fairly good. Not to say I'll never be laid off, but if that happens I will not be the first to be laid off.

I'm working my tail off right now at two full time jobs so I can build up our funds and eliminate my last debt---my mortgage. The next place, after I unload the place I'm in now, will allow us a measure of self sufficiency as we're looking for land as well as a house. If I can produce the food we eat and everything I own is paid off I should be able to last for years without a job if I have to.

That's my plan. 13 more months to go before I put my current house up for sale! Like Captain Kirk I'm on a 5 year voyage that is rapidly coming to an end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Knocked Down But Up Again

Location: Next stop: Willoughby! This train stops at Willoughby!
Thanked 3,263 Times in 1,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangyhyena View Post
That's my plan. 13 more months to go before I put my current house up for sale! Like Captain Kirk I'm on a 5 year voyage that is rapidly coming to an end.

I love it! LOL!
+10 to you for making a plan, sticking to it and envisioning the rainbow at the end. I've got a lot of respect for you, ya' old mangy hyena you!

Proverbs 27:12 New Living Translation

Help to keep this forum going by donating TODAY! https://www.survivalistboards.com/payments.php
Old 04-12-2008, 12:39 PM
comfortably numb

Let's see here:

I have BA's in both History and Philosophy. I spent several years in the Seminary studying to be a priest. Left just before Ordination...so I've completed all the coursework for a MDiv & MA in Theology (in RC seminaries, unless you get ordained...you don't get the degrees awarded).

However, after all of that education, I'm back in school at the local trade school in order to get practical skills that are "marketable" in today's world (HVAC/R...Heating, Ventilation, Air-Conditioning & Refrigeration). Basically, jobs you can't outsource/export.

Focus on what is in demand and what can't be exported. Basically, service-oriented, skilled trades. With HVAC/R, you can't outsource that. You always need someone locally who can fix your furnace and/or air conditioner.

That's why I'm doing it. Someone in an India call center can't fix your broken A/C.
The Following User Says Thank You to dewey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2008, 01:13 PM

Thanked 7,103 Times in 3,336 Posts

I was a mechanic for years, and a truck driver.
I've done some ranch work and welding as well as some machining.
I am the proud holder of a long expired EMT cert. that would require only a few classes to renew.
I have done construction work.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Scarred for life...

Thanked 5,298 Times in 1,579 Posts

I have two degrees and haven't had a job in either field in almost 2 years.

When I first started it was one of the hottest fields. Just before graduation the bottom fell out and doesn't look like it is going to improve for the foreseeable future, at least in the area where I live. The market is supposed to be better in other states, especially out west but right now I am unable to move.

I ended up using my degree and various contacts I made to start a small business and Ive been living off that income for about 3 or 4 years now. The income is sporadic but occasionally there are some really nice paydays. It took me about two years to get some of the logistics down...prior to that I was having to borrow a lot of money to pay short term expenses. Now I have enough cash to cover those expenses and I try to run everything debt free.

This summer I am going to take some Spanish classes (for continuing education purposes to maintain my certifications) and in the fall I am going to take some courses in welding, machining, and gunsmithing. I didn't realize this until recently but I live near one of only four NRA recognized gunsmithing schools in the US.
The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy123 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2008, 06:23 PM

Taking a Spanish class is a very good thing esp in the south west US. I am gonna look into it when Im done with my masters.

Also, I think the current way to go in government jobs in the homeland defense fields. Granted they may not all be there when SHTF but they will last a long time (things will have to get real bad).
Old 04-12-2008, 06:39 PM

Working right now as a radiographer on pipelines and related oil/gas structures, and I have been doing it for two and a half years now with no slow times in sight. With this skillset alone, I could find work just about anywhere in the world.
I also have a very good basis for engineering/drafting work, though I didn't finish my degree. I can operate most kinds of common vehicles/machinery/equipment.
Other than that, I'm just a workaholic in general...my current skills aren't extremely varied, but I don't think I'm doing too bad for my age.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:51 PM
Haha

Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,086 Posts

One thing to remember is that the job you do must be a job that takes significant training and IS a need. I don't want to crap on anyones ideas but in a SHTF situation or an EOTWAWKI people are not going to be doing what they did before. That is many people will become self suffcient and won't be able to afford services. people would rather try to fix their air condtioners themselves or stop using them completely and get use to not having luxuries.

Make sure your skills are marketable and useful. Some things that are going to be useless that pop in my mind are anything having to do with entertainment and comfortability. People arn't going to pay a plumber to fix their toilet when they can crap outside. If everyone has the same idea about learning self sufficient skills then everyone won't need to pay others to do service for them.

mangy has a real good point that he is setting himself off to be able to go jobless for an extended period of time. Remember that the economy can take a nose dive so quick you may find yourself unemployed the next day. Make sure you have enough put away to stick out the time of crisis, or at least make a profit during it.

Insert hate here

-Cade
Old 04-12-2008, 08:55 PM
I hear the bagpipes

My 2 year degree is in Electro-Mechanical Design, and I was a machinist for 3 years before that in my fathers’ gunsmith shop. I spent years in the design and drafting trade, then left it all to record music on a major record label, as a guitarist and singer/songwriter. When things were lean as a musician, I cooked in restaurants. After that, I got back into engineering, which fizzled out in my region (SE Pennsylvania) after 9-11. I am an Extra class HAM, and decided to get my commercial FCC licenses in order to find work. That paid off, and I ended up in Florida, repairing and installing marine electronics on mega-yachts. The pay was not so good, but the experience was valuable, and I became a Radio Officer onboard a United States UNOLS research vessel. Before our first child was born, I took a land-based job, with a company that moved us into New Orleans in the spring of 2005. I was supposed to inspect and certify a ships emergency communications gear, and found it to be faulty, not passing inspection. My company ordered me to sign the ships license anyway, which I refused, and I was promptly fired. Our child was only 7 weeks old, and with no income, we were in bad shape. This forced us to move out of New Orleans, though I tried and tried to find any work that would allow us to keep our home and location. I wondered why I had been so cursed as to have this happen to my family and I, when I was only doing the right thing by following the law and not falsifying that license. By that time it was only weeks before Katrina, when I took a job maintaining the communications system for the State of Florida, and the Florida Highway Patrol. I remember sitting in our new Florida living room, watching the storm hit New Orleans- we were divinely spared, no doubt about that. Anyway, I’m about to renew my Merchant Mariners document and credentials, as it is something good to fall back on in case SHTF. There will always be a need for those who are willing to go to sea. I am also considering sailing again later this year, as the money is much better than I am making now.

Last edited by GMDSS; 04-12-2008 at 09:00 PM..
Old 04-13-2008, 02:51 PM

Just renewed my Firefighter Cert. as my dad insisted it would be envaluable to hang on to and a benefit in the field I am going into. I also hope to renew my Paramedic Cert in 2010 and hang on to that one as well. I am in school now for Emergency Administration and Planning and hope to get a well paying job with a city or county and possibly FEMA if I can get into one of the MANY positions they have available.