Survivalist Forum banner

New Mexico

16K views 79 replies 25 participants last post by  epwrangler 
#1 ·
I'll start the New Mexico thread. Howdy New Mexicans. I'm in the SE part of the State. Pinge me if you feel inclined.

#13 ·
Im heading to unit 15 this next weekend for a youth muzzleloader hunt. Im anxious. A lot of elk up there. I know cloudcroft is booming with elk, herds got big enough to push elk down into texas from what i hear. Im in silver city, some good country here, but better about 40 miles north. Desert prepper willow creek is some of the best elk country in the state, I know the area pretty well. Just have to know where to go, and be there in the rut. horses do help, but not needed, 2 years ago my friend killed a decent bull up above bear wallow, high country, we packed it out on frame packs, I would have rather had my horse though. The east is getting all the dam rain, we need some more in this area, but some roads have been washed out already, close to big burn scars. if 10 inches hit, i think we would have some major flooding.

#15 ·
What kind of racial tension? It is primarily hispanics here, but you come up into the mountains, we are a little different than the mexicans down south. It is pretty diverse here. Hispanics like me, and the mexicans coming over are way different, maybe look similar, but thats about it. Our morals are way different.

#16 ·
I agree with you Diesel, it's all the new immigrants and not just Latinos, look what's happening with all the new Muslims coming in making outrageous demands.

I'm a plain ole white boy but it seems most of my friends are of Mexican decent that have been here more than a generation.

Hell, I married one....

#17 ·
diesel,
You live in a great part of NM. This is a sensitive topic. I mean no offense. I was looking in northern and liked Pecos a lot, east of Santa Fe. The Spanish people don't like the Mexicans. The heroin dealers up in Espinola don't like anyone. The people with money from outside the state drive up the property taxes and make everyone mad. There are lots of Native American tribes and they each have different ideas about having visitors. New Mexico is one place where I can't really tell who is a threat and who isn't. Not even in a general way. It was unnerving and caused me to give up.

My company had an office in Albuquerque. I spent a lot time there and used to go downtown to check with the regulators. There were always two lines. The line for Spanish speaking people was always short and people got right in. The English line was slow and much longer. It was odd to be discriminated against for being Anglo in the US. I had the same experience on the Navajo Res, but it is not part of the United States. I still like New Mexico but it has some quirks that outsiders need to learn to live with.

I have no problems with Latino culture. I like the people because they are family oriented and willing to work. It has a high degree of civility. I am in love with the food, music and building architecture. But I still could not move there because of the racial tension that was evident a lot of the time.

#18 ·
It is a sensitive subject, and I take no offense, dont worry about it. At least your not far from some good country. And yes where I live, all the retirees from cali, came in and bought up all the land, its getting like santa fe here with land prices. It has gotten bad, but lately houses are not selling. Guess our booming economy isn't doing so good. Ha.

#20 ·
I have lived in New Mexico my whole life and I will agree with the racial tensions. I grew up east of Albuquerque in the Moriarty area. I was made fun of daily in high school and middle school for being a white boy, called a cracker etc. To this day as an adult there has been times where Hispanics have got quicker and better service than I have where I felt it was due to my race. But on the flip side, I have very dear friends that are Hispanic, African American and a few other races. I have always had thick skin and never let it get to me. I'm a big boy and I realize that not all Hispanics are racist just the same as not all white people are racist. I just assume it's the same all over the country just some race roles may be reversed. The only places I truly feel afraid is in some of the land grant areas.

#21 ·
DP,
Good words. I was heading for my Dad's ranch in Arizona from Wyoming and crossed the northwest corner of NM up by the "Milagro Beanfield War". The old Spanish land grant country on the Colorado border. I pulled over in a stand of cottonwoods to sleep off the road. I had a pistol lying on the seat. The Sheriff woke me up about 0200 and told me if was not safe to sleep there, especially with Wyo plates on my truck. "People from out of town get shot around here." he said.

#22 ·
Well what's there to say of the good ole NM? Here in the northwest part near the gallup area is nice and pretty good people at times. The Walmart is always busy it being the only one to service everyone for 50 miles at times. We the Navajo are friendly if you are nice yourselves and places are Conservative. Plus a majority are proud to be American. :D

#26 ·
I live in Luna, and if theres any racial tension, I've yet to see it, spend time in Reserve, and people seem fine, I'm not Mexican or Hispanic, however you want to call it, but my neighbors are Hispanic, and I wouldn't trade em for anything. As for elk, I've seen herds of 800 plus or minus a few just north of Luna on a few ranches in the area. Right in Luna we see herds of over 200 in town in meadows until hunting season. great place to live, I'm retired and love this area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.