Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Review: Burris XTR II 5x-25x50mm Scope AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 11-03-2016 03:30 PM
Streamlight Rail Mounted "Scout" lights, a short review Unobtanium Military Weapons Forum 14 10-19-2016 11:22 PM
Olight S1R Baton Review Twilight Reviews and questions 0 10-15-2016 09:33 PM
Kimber 1911 Custom II Two-Tone 9mm Pistol from $646 wikiarms.com wikiarms.com 0 10-04-2016 09:55 AM

Old 11-15-2016, 04:10 AM
Officer Friendly

Thanked 2,450 Times in 714 Posts
Default Olight PL1 II Valkyrie Pistol Light Review

Advertise Here

I just got this pistol light a few days ago and have had some range time with it on 3 different guns. I tested it on a Glock 21, Glock 19 and a S&W E-series 1911 (Full Size, 5 inch barrel) I am very happy with this light and it works really well. I fired 200 rounds of .45 and 150 of 9mm while using it.

The thing I like best about this light is the slim size and light weight. It has an all metal body and seems very well constructed, but it only uses one CR123A battery which makes it slim and lighter than the competition. These batteries are rather expensive, so it's nice to only have to use at a time to power the light. The beam has a nice spread and is just bright enough for any realistic low light defensive use.

I have been using pistol mounted lights for years in SWAT and military training. The biggest complaint I have about them is the weight they add which slows down your draw from the holster and after hours of training, every ounce in your hand or on your pistol belt makes a difference in comfort. Many of the other lights I have used by Surefire and Streamlight have a brighter, more focused beam than the Olight Valkyrie.

Indoors in a dark house, there is such a thing as "Too bright". A very focused and bright beam ruins your night vision and forces you to maneuver the gun around more to check out dark areas. I think the beam on the Valkyrie is just right in terms of brightness and spread. The comparison picture I posted below is the Olight Valkyrie beam on the left and a Streamlight TRL1H on the right. Notice the greater spread on the Olight beam vs the Bright, focused beam on the right.

The Olight attached and detached must faster than the Streamlight wich requires a screwdriver. The Olight Valkyrie just requires a quick flip of the Lever and it locked solidly in place. I also didn't need to use the special kit they included to swap it between my Glocks and 1911. I'm not sure what kind of rail the attachment kit is for since I didn't need it. It locked on all 3 of my guns nicely with no wobble.

Just be aware that the lens gets dirty pretty quick when you are shooting. I wear gloves and just gave it a quick wipe with my finger every 30 rounds or so. This is a problem with all lights, not a flaw in the Olight design though. In closing, I ditched my Streamlight TRL1H as my home defense light and now am using the Olight. Highly recommended!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2637.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	169721   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2640.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	169729   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2642.jpg
Views:	67