Looters - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looters, how to make them pass you by kev Urban Survival 600 03-24-2014 01:57 PM
Looters caught in Moore... Prepping Controversial News and Alternative Politics 44 05-25-2013 08:24 AM
scavengers/looters legal Kalifornia Guy General Discussion 7 11-18-2011 02:44 PM
Has anyone had first hand experience with looters AmericanPatriot121 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 72 09-15-2011 03:57 PM
Looters? Dragunov Manmade and Natural Disasters 29 08-25-2011 04:16 PM
New Video of looters Woodlife Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 115 07-11-2011 11:39 AM
How Do We Deal With Looters When There are LEOs Everywhere? MidWestDisappearance Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 56 06-16-2011 10:44 AM
Bandits/looters among us? Darkerstrife Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 112 06-18-2010 07:50 PM

Old 03-03-2010, 12:41 PM
"Tango Down"

Default Looters

Advertise Here

I read this today and wanted to pass it on. When in any type of SHTF scenario, the looters might join together to form a group. You might be defending your house/family/preps against a group not just a single person everynow and then.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35688813...le_earthquake/
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to natethegreat For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2010, 01:06 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 154,436 Times in 44,882 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Bands of looters are no surprise. It's to be expected and what most of us prepare for.

I was surprised by the Chileans "it's all the government's fault. They care nothing about us" reaction. That sounded like what always happens in this country during a crisis too. As if government aid is supposed to show up within hours and take care of everyone at the same time. I guess the entitlement mentality is more of a human nature aspect than a cultural one.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2010, 01:23 PM
sic transit gloria mundi

Yup. The word "looters" is usually preceded by "Bands of.."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Prepared

Thanked 18,757 Times in 8,593 Posts

Check my reply in the other thread -- governments are sadly more efficient at collecting taxes and enforcing rules than they are in assisting their citizens in times of need. And I think so long as we're expected to pay taxes, we've got every right to complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Bands of looters are no surprise. It's to be expected and what most of us prepare for.

I was surprised by the Chileans "it's all the government's fault. They care nothing about us" reaction. That sounded like what always happens in this country during a crisis too. As if government aid is supposed to show up within hours and take care of everyone at the same time. I guess the entitlement mentality is more of a human nature aspect than a cultural one.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aramchek For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Rogue

Thanked 2,971 Times in 920 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramchek View Post
Check my reply in the other thread -- governments are sadly more efficient at collecting taxes and enforcing rules than they are in assisting their citizens in times of need. And I think so long as we're expected to pay taxes, we've got every right to complain.
I would have to disagree with this one. There are thousands of crimes committed every year which go unresolved and that's with the public's support. The IRS actually busts a very small number of tax cheats as well which should be obvious from the number in Obama's cabinet.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisInGa For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2010, 01:46 PM

As long as the neighborhood bands together and is well armed I say you have very good odds of keeping them out, probably without a fight. If they see a large armed group they will tend to look elsewhere at first. Any prolonged situation will no doubt change that.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dancing Bear For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear View Post
As long as the neighborhood bands together and is well armed I say you have very good odds of keeping them out, probably without a fight. If they see a large armed group they will tend to look elsewhere at first. Any prolonged situation will no doubt change that.
I think you could not be more correct in your assessment. I might go as far as even they see a small well organized group will probably send them in the other direction.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to D and D For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Surviving You

We have the further problem of weeding out whos who in the neighborhood. I know my house, and downstairs tenants, are calm and relaxed individuals. Across the street and down two houses, is either a half-way house or a drug den. I see haggard bums coming and going from time to time. Its less a matter of keeping unwanteds out of the community, then out of our houses. I think if SHTF I would shut them down. Security concern. Damn burbs.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:31 PM
May the Lord be with us

Thanked 8,148 Times in 3,273 Posts

It underlines a few key points that all preppers must have as a foundation:

* in an emergency you likely may only be able to depend on yourself, your immediate
family, and/or pre-established group for water, food, medical care & self defense.
* most will not be prepared, and as such will be desperate, becoming more desperate
as days go on...
* the criminal element will be ruthless and show you no quarter; be vigilant and do the
same...
* You will not be able to separate sheeps from wolves just by looking at them; wolves
will use sheep, or wolves disguised as sheep to get you to lower your guard...
* Practice with your preps... have a plan that you have conducted ready drills for...
You do not want a major emergency be the first time you use a particular firearm
or any other tools... Mr. Murphy will likely rear his ugly head...
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Goethic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Hunter

A sign I saw over the MAC V HQ

"Kill them all, and let God sort it out"
Old 03-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,331 Times in 3,544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySlay View Post
We have the further problem of weeding out whos who in the neighborhood. I know my house, and downstairs tenants, are calm and relaxed individuals. Across the street and down two houses, is either a half-way house or a drug den. I see haggard bums coming and going from time to time. Its less a matter of keeping unwanteds out of the community, then out of our houses. I think if SHTF I would shut them down. Security concern. Damn burbs.
Best thing to do is know your neighbor and be on good terms with them before hand - a great way to do this is the old neighborhood BBQ.

I have the same problem, the neighbors around me are good people, but two blocks away its tweekerland. Instead of bums we got wannabe white boy gangbangers with their pants around their ankles and bandannas on. At least they will be easy to spot, and if need be run down wearing their pants that way
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to METALHEAD1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,608 Times in 643 Posts

Staying put in an urban area long term post whatever is suicide, so you band together with your neighbors and drive off several groups. How long till someone comes up with one of our species oldest inventions, FIRE. Then you stay in your now burning home and die from smoke inhalation or the flames, or you come trotting out to get shot up by said looters. In the end the outcome will be the same, it's best to not be there in the first place. We are an adaptive species and it won't take long to weed out the dumb thugs, leaving the more clever ones to keep you up at nite.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trouble For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2010, 10:43 PM
Who Watches the Watchmen?

Thanked 5,046 Times in 2,962 Posts

raiders... reminds me of the old days playing fallout.

Wonder how long it will take for them to start wearing car parts and wacky hair cuts?

*seriously looters beware , you can only loot for so long *

And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.
Ring the alarum-bell! Blow, wind! come, wrack!
At least we'll die with harness off our back.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:09 PM
I am Jody

Thanked 2,983 Times in 1,208 Posts

Do you see the the leader...Yup! range-set, wind-set, and drift-set. Roger-fire when ready...subdued voice-fire fire fire. Boom!

One down and hopefully it is high profile as to discourage the rest!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Irish Militant For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2010, 11:43 PM
Mod Certified PITA!

Thanked 21,330 Times in 7,692 Posts

I've heard reports that looters, have wiped out supermarkets and warehouses, are now attacking individual houses looking for food and water. This is proving the truth of all those TEOTWAWKI storeis in which your fellow citizens prove to be a worse danger than the disaster itself...
The Following User Says Thank You to Moccasin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2010, 12:34 AM

The article talked about whistles being used to communicate regarding shady suspects. Might be a good idea to get a few dozen whistles for the block. Can't be very expensive, but will be very effective as they produce an unmistakable sound.
The Following User Says Thank You to bpeltzer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouble View Post
Staying put in an urban area long term post whatever is suicide, so you band together with your neighbors and drive off several groups. How long till someone comes up with one of our species oldest inventions, FIRE. Then you stay in your now burning home and die from smoke inhalation or the flames, or you come trotting out to get shot up by said looters. In the end the outcome will be the same, it's best to not be there in the first place. We are an adaptive species and it won't take long to weed out the dumb thugs, leaving the more clever ones to keep you up at nite.
The goal is to keep the looters out of the neighborhood, meaning out of range to do any damage.
Irish Militant has the right idea, amongst others. Again, I'm referring to short term situations, not the Apocalypse.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:55 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,603 Times in 995 Posts

Did you really need an MSN story to tell you that looters would group together and eventually target homes?
The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Like a thief in the night

Just a thought, but right now is a real good time to start practicing by turning off all of your exterior and interior lighting at night, throw the curtains back and actually watch what is going on around your house.

The local trash don't want to approach such a scenario, it just scares them no end to put their lives in their hands by approaching a dark house.

Of course this takes for granted that one is prepared; a good dog in the backyard is a nice touch.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Hostile to outsiders

This seemed to work

Some of the Koreans caught on tape were later prosecuted. Those who had their faces covered were never positively ID'ed. Just something to keep in mind
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZ_Merc For This Useful Post: