Linux, browser and search engine suggestions please - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here

Old 05-02-2020, 05:06 PM
Survivor

Advertise Here

Scratch DuckDuckGo

https://www.bitchute.com/video/raiWUwhCyJvJ/

A closer inspection of DuckDuckGo (the search engine) was needed, as the last video about them triggered an outrage mob, which ironically came from a company that purports to defend our rights. DuckDuckGo is not the small-time free speech bastion that you might think it is. It is part of the Big Tech cartel that seeks to eliminate arbitrarily-defined "hateful content". In other words, Christian and conservative opinions.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 9th Company For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2020, 11:07 PM

Thanks again, everyone.

I have a new computer now with an i7 in it. The installation/USB boot in the old one was just a test to see if I could make it work. I never put the old one online because I don't web-browse much and didn't want to keep the security upgraded. I won't bother with Windows. The lessening of features as new versions were released really annoyed me, and Win 10 is apparently "spyware disguised as an OS". Not interested. Everything I want to do is happening with Linux so I'm happy!

I have Ubuntu 18 and 19 on this one with a split drive (or whatever it is called, can select either at boot-up). I will try others as time progresses.
Using Brave with DuckDuckGo.
And Wine is running beautifully.
Very happy with the startup and shutdown times. No more tedious waiting for minutes.
It is the usual steep learning curve with anything new but so many people are willing to help (you members as well as others elsewhere) and the needed information is usually already there somewhere on the web.
Thanks again. You guys are great!
Old 05-03-2020, 10:18 AM
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 11,364 Times in 4,378 Posts

There's nothing wrong with Win7, if you take a couple of precautions. Keep in mind, Win10 is STILL vulnerable to Wannacry, and Ransomware, and you're no more in danger of those with Win7/Win8.1.

Get some good, imaging software. I recommend Macrium Reflect.
Get an external HDD. Back up your images there.

If you know how, Install a secondary drive in your computer, and keep your latest image there, AND on an external drive. Redundancy RULES!
My "Daily Driver" (Lenovo, W540), has three SSD's. C:, D:, and E:

C: is a 1tb, 2.5", Samsung 860 EVO. It's used for my O/S, and my most speed critical software, and games. I do NOT run a SwapFile.

D: is a 1tb, 2.5", Samsung 860 EVO. it contains my ORIGINAL image (on external drive too), most of my other programs, and projects I'm currently working on with AutoCAD, 3D Desktop, PhotoShop, etc. Data is stored upon completion to an external drive.

E: is a 480gb, "MyDigital SuperBoot 2" M.2 NGFF drive. I send an image every couple of months to it, removing the previous one. It also contains my "Downloads" folder, my latest image, all my TEMP/TMP folders, and I store some experimental drivers there.

A shout out to "MyDigital". I've been sending, and deleting images to this drive for over a year, and it's STILL at 100% health.

Keep your AV, and MalwareBytes, updated, and surf safely.

It's not Theoretical Physics" to keep viruses , and vulnerabilities from your Win7 computer.

If I ever get "Ransomware", I'll just simply pull an image... Problem solved. I know it works, because I've had a couple customers that I sold a computer to, who screwed up, and ended up getting Ransomware. Fortunately, I keep the original image of each of my customers computers for a year, so getting them back up, and running is a matter of 10-15 minutes.

I haven't had a virus of any sort, since 1991, so I think what I do, is pretty effective.

BTW, MY machines are on Win7Pro, Win8.1Pro, and yes, XP. I still use the XP machine for certain things, and have had ZERO virus/Ransomware/vulnerability issues. My Wife has the only Win10 computer in the family.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2020, 06:33 AM

Thanks again to everyone. Your help and advice was greatly appreciated.

I have been using Brave browser but it lacks a 'web archive' format. That is being able to save a web page with all the text and images.
There is a "Web page, complete" format which works but it has the link and a separate folder when saved (also a 'HTML only and 'single file' format but these don't save the images).
Is it possible to adapt Brave so it can save in a single file format that includes the images?
Or is there another good browser that has an archive format?
TIA.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:34 AM
Survivor

Thanked 31,755 Times in 3,437 Posts

I've been using CCleaner Browser that claims to block trackers. When I used Chrome or Firefox, I'd rack up thousands of trackers (when I ran CCleaner to remove them). After I started using the CCleaner Browser there were only maybe 5 trackers to be removed.

I also found out by using CCleaner, that Edge and IE are ALWAYS running in the background, even though I never use them. There's an option to shut them down in CCleaner, which I took advantage of. I was wondering why Microsoft set them up to always run in the background. I decided to check for trackers after turning on my computer, but not opening a browser. Sure enough, multiple trackers were already active. Stopping Edge and IE put an end to that.

A side note on Ransomware.
A quick google on the subject shows that everyone agrees. Do NOT pay these thugs. Chances are they will take your money and still leave your computer locked up, or demand even more money after you already paid.

The first thing you should do is use your phone to take a pic of your monitor to find out what kind of Ransomware you are dealing with. Remove your computer from the Internet so it doesn't infect any other systems on the same network. Use another device (phone, ipad, or a friend's computer) to get online and find out what actions to take.
The Following User Says Thank You to St8kout For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 02:02 AM

Thanked 7,619 Times in 2,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by down under View Post
Thanks again to everyone. Your help and advice was greatly appreciated.

I have been using Brave browser but it lacks a 'web archive' format. That is being able to save a web page with all the text and images.
There is a "Web page, complete" format which works but it has the link and a separate folder when saved (also a 'HTML only and 'single file' format but these don't save the images).
Is it possible to adapt Brave so it can save in a single file format that includes the images?
Or is there another good browser that has an archive format?
TIA.
I always just highlight the area (including pics) of what I want to save, hit <COPY> then <PASTE> it into a Doc program (for the Images) such as Libra Office Writer. Micosoft Word also works. It can then be opened anytime, even added to or deleted from.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob3rd For This Useful Post: