Benjamin Nitro Piston Powered Prowler NP Air Rifle - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ruger Impact Max .22 air rifle. Anarchy99Survival Reviews and questions 2 03-06-2018 09:09 AM
Pellet Rifle Myths. nomadshooter Firearms General Discussion 14 12-25-2017 01:55 PM
First Impressions: Benjamin Bulldog .357 Air Rifle from Pyramyd Air AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 10-24-2017 09:30 PM
Is a .22 air rifle the best small game getter? Everymanalion Firearms General Discussion 25 08-11-2017 12:07 AM
air rifle for survival? dmac257 Firearms General Discussion 39 04-14-2017 10:24 PM

Old 11-03-2018, 10:06 AM
That'll be the day...

Thanked 10,968 Times in 2,284 Posts
Default Benjamin Nitro Piston Powered Prowler NP Air Rifle

Advertise Here

Anyone have any experience with this air rifle?

It's $99.... and I have read a couple of reviews that it is the best deal on the planet for a .22 cal air rifle.

Biggest negative is the cheap scope, but that is to be expected for this price range.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Benjamin-...P82SX/53968156
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2018, 11:12 AM
Wile E Coyote, Genius.

Thanked 82,413 Times in 23,887 Posts

Crosman owns them now, so I don't think that helped quality any.
Benjamin used to make a great air rifle.

The last Benjamin .22 nitro air rifle I bought worked great for about 20 shots then died. I assume the ram went bad. I haven't bothered with it since. I suppose it could be rebuilt.

I would at least check the warrantee and try to use it enough to determine if it has a defect before the warrantee runs out.

Otherwise it was a great gun. very nice wood stock.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 01:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 19,416 Times in 8,135 Posts

I have never understood buying a nitro air gun. You must buy the ammo and the gas. I also have never understood the scopes with such guns. Seems to the the purpose is to teach shooting. IMO that needs to start with iron sights. IMO the scopes are just a marketing ploy to pre-teens.

So I would focus on non-nitro guns and forget about scopes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2018, 02:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,368 Times in 2,654 Posts

I have a nitro piston Crossman in 177. It is similar to the Benjamin. It is more quiet that my 22 walther springer. I did change the scope out. It is accurate and somewhat powerful. It takes rodents out to 25 yards with ease. It is louder that my Benjamin pump up but more powerful quicker to get follow up shots. Pick one up, you will enjoy it. fun to shoot, and if legal able to put small game on the table.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:20 PM
Wile E Coyote, Genius.

Thanked 82,413 Times in 23,887 Posts

One interesting thing about these air rifles.

You might think a .22 is stronger than a .177.

Not sure if that is the reality, since the .22 velocity is significantly slower than the .177
Old 11-03-2018, 09:47 PM
That'll be the day...

Ok... I opted for this one.....

Crosman Vantage .22

I just ordered three.... two sons and son-in-law for Christmas presents. We have a family rule of limiting gifts to $100.

I am a bit spoiled with a RWS Diana and love the gun and it has been awesome for over 12 years without a single issue. Just a little oil and she keeps lofting .177's at 1k.

Anyway.... I wanted a wood stock and a gun without a scope...(cause the package scopes are junk).

This one has a really great reputation and I purchased from Pyramid Air.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big_John For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 05:19 PM
Mad Trapper

Thanked 1,024 Times in 549 Posts

I have a Crosman Nitro-Piston in .177. absolutely fantastic air rifle!!! I use the heavy 10.5 grain pellets and have taken squirrel, rabit, racoon, pheasant and even a turkey with it! very accurate and extremely powerful......it aint like the BB guns I had as a kid.....its a real game getter!

WARNING
DONT dry fire it
and it will be as loud as a 22 LR when new, but will quiet down after the 1st 100 shots. pellets hitting the target or game will be louder than the actual report of the air gun firing!
The Following User Says Thank You to rjsixgun For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2018, 07:22 PM
That'll be the day...

Received all three guns this evening, compliments of Brown Truck.

I will lube and shoot all three in the next week to make sure they are 'good to go', but I did pull one out and handle it this evening.

WOW.... The Crosman Vantage's are all there. Very solid and sturdy guns. I love the wood stock.

If these dudes are accurate and have some life to them.... they are an unbelievable $100 purchase.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big_John For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 08:01 AM
Mad Trapper

DO NOT LUBE THEM!!
if you get lube in the barrel, piston, piston chamber or pellets the lube will ignite!!! you will actually get fire and smoke out of the barrel!!
this is what air-gunners call dieseling. it will burn out your seals, cause erratic velocities and be very loud.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rjsixgun For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 03:26 PM
Combat marxism Now!

Thanked 23,372 Times in 5,872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsixgun View Post
DO NOT LUBE THEM!!
if you get lube in the barrel, piston, piston chamber or pellets the lube will ignite!!! you will actually get fire and smoke out of the barrel!!
this is what air-gunners call dieseling. it will burn out your seals, cause erratic velocities and be very loud.
It's also a lot of fun when done right!
Old 11-15-2018, 06:22 PM
Prepared

Thanked 1,100 Times in 293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
Ok... I opted for this one.....

Crosman Vantage .22

Good choice for budget airgun, it's not much high-end sport equipment, but overall work fine as plinking gun. Watch out for scopes, spring-powered airguns produce a lot of vibrations at the shot, and as effect more delicate scopes just break down. What to say more? Uhh, collect used cans, cans poorly survive longer target shooting sessions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Uweron For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 09:40 PM
Mad Trapper

You can always spend more money on an Air-gun, but in the nitro piston class of airguns the Crosman is no slouch! you wont get better performance from other makers.

you really don't need a silencer on an air-rifle, they are pretty quiet with out them, and if you want better accuracy from an airgun, buy better pellets. In Nitro-Piston airguns they heavier the better!

Myself I found the crosman 10.5 gr premier domed pellets (177) gave the best accuracy and knock down power on small game.

like I said you can spend more money if you like, but why? Crosman makes it right at an affordable price!

Absolutely nothing wrong with the Air-Rifle you bought! be proud of it!
Old 11-21-2018, 01:01 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 60,463 Times in 13,662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoTree View Post
I have never understood buying a nitro air gun. You must buy the ammo and the gas. I also have never understood the scopes with such guns. Seems to the the purpose is to teach shooting. IMO that needs to start with iron sights. IMO the scopes are just a marketing ploy to pre-teens.

So I would focus on non-nitro guns and forget about scopes.
You are confusing gas-piston and PCP (Pre-Charged Pneumatic). The gas piston as in the OP rifle is similar to pneumatic tailgate lifters. PCP rifles have an on-board compressed air cylinder which is charged from an external source. Pressures are upwards of 3000 psi.

All the gas piston rifles do is replace a metal spring with an air spring.

Springer air rifles will destroy a normal scope due to the reverse recoil of the spring.

Lead pellets are relatively cheap going for around $10 per 500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsixgun View Post
You can always spend more money on an Air-gun, but in the nitro piston class of airguns the Crosman is no slouch! you wont get better performance from other makers.

you really don't need a silencer on an air-rifle, they are pretty quiet with out them, and if you want better accuracy from an airgun, buy better pellets. In Nitro-Piston airguns they heavier the better!

Myself I found the crosman 10.5 gr premier domed pellets (177) gave the best accuracy and knock down power on small game.

like I said you can spend more money if you like, but why? Crosman makes it right at an affordable price!

Absolutely nothing wrong with the Air-Rifle you bought! be proud of it!
You can spend big bucks on air rifles. I did for a couple of reasons; quality and accuracy. One of my rifles came with a suppressor as they are legal. The best and most accurate rifles come from Germany and England but are usually expensive.

There are dozens of different pellets available and each rifle may be particular to one brand, one weight or one diameter. I had to do a lot of testing to find the most accurate ones in my guns.

Some of the magnum rifles such as the nitro piston are loud with the pellet going supersonic.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2019, 12:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,368 Times in 2,654 Posts

I have one in .177. It shoots great! The only reason that I stopped shooting it is that I bought a PCP pellet rifle. the nitro piston is more quiet that the Walther springer that I have in .22. Both are more powerful and faster than my PCP. but the PCP is very quiet and has enough power to kill small game. I have a couple of pump up benjamins which have not been shot in many years. They are also quiet but slow on the second shot. the nitro piston is much faster on the second shot. the PCP with its clip is as quick on the second shot as any bolt action rifle.