Looters, how to make them pass you by - Page 26 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looters caught in Moore... Prepping Controversial News and Alternative Politics 44 05-25-2013 08:24 AM
Has anyone had first hand experience with looters AmericanPatriot121 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 72 09-15-2011 03:57 PM
Looters? Dragunov Manmade and Natural Disasters 29 08-25-2011 04:16 PM
New Video of looters Woodlife Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 115 07-11-2011 11:39 AM
Bandits/looters among us? Darkerstrife Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 112 06-18-2010 07:50 PM
Looters natethegreat Urban Survival 89 04-14-2010 08:00 PM
Pass this along and make it viral scrub-python General Discussion 2 01-24-2010 10:34 AM

Old 08-12-2013, 06:10 PM

Advertise Here

[QUOTE=Josiah922;44229]Well, there are definitely two trains of thought on this. one is the black out the house stay inside and bar the doors. sort of the hunker down approach. and the other is to make a bright up front stance on it sort of like Kev is saying. The only problem is that I think that even though you are chasing of "Mr. Big bad Looter", I think at the same time you are INVITING "Mr. I am your neighbor that hasn't spoken to you in 4 months, but would not mind a free steak". Which is worse? one looter or 12 neighbors looking for a meal?

LOL

I guess I would take the neighbors, but force myself to prepare a little more food and water to accomidate what they are begging off of

Good point
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2013, 06:34 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,188 Times in 799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeman351 View Post
I do #11 now.
That usually works all the time with a certain segment of the population. They see that and they know what it`s ALL about. And will leave you Alone,which is what you want.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vlad Tepes For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2013, 07:42 PM
Deo Vindice

Thanked 35,164 Times in 9,481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Tepes View Post
That usually works all the time with a certain segment of the population. They see that and they know what it`s ALL about. And will leave you Alone,which is what you want.
I don't fly it to keep people away. I fly it because it is my nation's flag. Even if it is an occupied nation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dudeman351 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2013, 05:19 PM

This may have been mentioned but I was told to dump trash in your yard and make it look looted would be a good deterrent as the thieves would pass buy a house that looks like the goodies are gone.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:45 PM
Prepared

I see the plus and minus of all the ideas here but I would recommend one more thing that would fit any of these idea. Landscaping, I landscape to channel people(looters) where I want them, (their path of least resistance, so they think) so I will know their approach and takes less effort to guard. fences, sticker bushes, rose bushes, vines, poison ivy, all do a little. think about it...........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ram4venturing For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2013, 10:30 AM
Optimist

Had a spring storm once....the neighborhood went dark, the wife and I fired up the fireplaces, lit up the hurricane lamps etc. Was setting and watching TV on a battery set, just checking things out. The power company drove into our neighborhood so I went outside to see what was up..how bad or extensive etc. I noticed in many of the homes maybe a candle light burning or a flashlight moving around, in some total darkness. After I spoke with the electrical workers I turned to go into my home, it was lit up like a golden cathedral, warm and inviting.

I quickly learned opsec then and there. If it had been a long term issue I could see people knocking on the door. Yes, we did what we could to prepare out neighbors, I'd print out a hand bill with quick preptips and leave them in the mailbox of people on our street, when the dates on some of our storage food was close to expiration, we would find a needy family in the neighbor hood. Guess what it got us...the folks across the street, "did we have any money to spare to buy diapers and formula" ...saw them come back with beer....guess the "kids" were on a special formula. or how about "we still want to be friends and we're sorry about the meth lab that poisoned one of your dogs, we want to be good neighbors..oh by the way..can you lend me $20...$40 would be better"...

Learned a lot I did
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Edward4576 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2013, 10:46 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,152 Times in 462 Posts

My opinion, for what it is:

When jogging around your nieghborhood (you do jog, don't you?), take note of the people with the Infowars.com stickers, the upside down flags, the "Be an American, Take Back America" bumper stickers, the NRA stickers, the Don't Tread on Me flags or the muddy trucks, stuff like that.

If an event ever happens where you worry about looters, go to their houses, dressed in nice normal clothes and knock on the door in the first day or so after the event.

Say something like:

"Hi, I am so and so from down the street. Because of the looting, rape, murder and thuggery that happened after Super Storm Sandy and Katrina, I am worried about looters and criminals coming to the nieghborhood and doing harm to us residents.

"To that end, I am trying to set up a nieghborhood watch until things get back to normal, with some of the men watching the roads coming into our nighborhood/subdivision/etc to keep potential looters out."

The key is to try and look for the clues as towards what families are at least a little prepared and of a like mind, and keep a mental tally of who they are. That way you can keep up your opsec, but have a good idea of who you might be able to band togeather with in a time of struggle. It also keeps your not ready nieghbors from coming to you asking for / demanding supplies and food because they did not read the writing on the wall and prepare.

Making your house look looted / trashed is a non stratagy. If the looters are already on your front lawn then you have already failed. Its like ripping up your clothes and having your friend give you a black eye and a bloody nose because you have to walk through a bad nieghborhood.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Das Sheep For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2013, 09:30 AM

I read a story on a guy who cooked out after the first collapse in Egypt. Stores were empty people had no food. The man was armed yet the crowd overwhelmed him, killed him and ate his food. Then robbed his house because he was cooking food he must have more. I think I will just post help signs in the yard saying "need food, need water" and most will probably leave me alone. I also think armor plating your house to the point it is visible from the outside will deter the average crook, but will attract attention from SHTF gangs. I don't think SHTF gangs will be the average thief/looter. These are desperate, possibly well armed, and hungry people. I can not look to much at Katrina or the like as examples. I look to countries that went through horrible wars and economic collapses that lasted years for the best possible scenarios. A story comes to mind of a European country embroiled in war. The police disappeared for a while then finally came back. People were happy to see the law enforcement and cheered and waived at them. The police entered their home, executed entire families and looted the houses. We in the US have not had to deal with these things like other countries have. Murders, cannibalism, gangs, it all scares the S$#$ out of me. I fear a day when even family can not be trusted. When people will have to belong to a gang to survive. Where the solo family holdout will be wiped out by 100 gang members in minutes because people seem to think their homes are a bunker. NOTE: Most stick built homes will not stop bullets and they will burn. Anyway, just my two cents. I will cook inside.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to swamptoad For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2013, 10:44 AM
Optimist

Right you are swamptoad, "hardened" does not mean impregnable. That's why one of my preps is my "skinny" clothes. If Uncle Sugar shows up and is passing out food and water I'm ready to go stand in line like the rest. If folks in your neighborhood don't see you there they could start getting ideas.

The time to camo the house and hunker down is touchy. Do it too soon and everyone knows it's a fake, don't do it soon enough and you become a target. But always be ready to bug out if you have to.

A small gang of looters that might decide to "explore" that burned out building "over there" can be handled quietly. Using the triple S principle, let them come in on there own, take care of business and as Rosanne Connors said "I own a loose meat sandwich shop, I know what to do with the bodies" you shouldn't have a problem. But a large organized group leaves but one option...bug out...quickly.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:01 PM

While I agree with both scenarios, you also have to consider that you may deter that lone, or few looters for now. But what is to say that they will form a larger roving mob and together they will come attack you? It will get messy then.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kanman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2013, 12:19 PM

good advice.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:20 PM
Living To Ride

Thanked 1,867 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamptoad View Post
Anyway, just my two cents. I will cook inside.
Better yet consider not living surrounded by A-holes and POS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanman View Post
But what is to say that they will form a larger roving mob and together they will come attack you? It will get messy then.
Which is why your defensive perimeter should be as far away from your home as you can make it, not at your property line.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:52 PM
Hunter

Default Real Messy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanman View Post
While I agree with both scenarios, you also have to consider that you may deter that lone, or few looters for now. But what is to say that they will form a larger roving mob and together they will come attack you? It will get messy then.
In my neighborhood it`l get real messy. Those roving mobs will be decimated QUICK. Always try to have good neighbors.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vlad Tepes For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2013, 05:34 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,740 Times in 1,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward4576 View Post
If Uncle Sugar shows up and is passing out food and water I'm ready to go stand in line like the rest. If folks in your neighborhood don't see you there they could start getting ideas.
Good idea. Also I wouldn't be living on too many preps if the govt. was handing out rations. You want to be seen in loose-fitting clothing in times like that. It's the people whose old-clothing still fits them that the looters will go after. So, either buy clothes that are a size or two larger than you normally wear or just only eat the rations.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:36 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,560 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLED View Post
13) Wear clown make-up while carrying your gun around the yard
That's good advice. I know it would freak me the **** out. Clowns are scary enough, but a clown with a gun?!

Also, if there is 1 clown there might be more. And you can never tell just how many there might be.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zorost For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2013, 08:27 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorost View Post
That's good advice. I know it would freak me the **** out. Clowns are scary enough, but a clown with a gun?!

Also, if there is 1 clown there might be more. And you can never tell just how many there might be.

I do like Clown One...Thanks!!!.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vlad Tepes For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2013, 12:52 AM

Severed head on the fence post can make all but the hardest or most desperate **** bag think twice.
The Following User Says Thank You to koldhearted1 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2013, 01:52 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,686 Times in 905 Posts

Heads on a fence post are good.

But after the clown pictures I'm seriously thinking that a six foot, 230 pound, middle age, unshaven white guy in clown makeup with an armadillo shell on his head and no pants rockin' to the Doors or Ramones on his porch probably screams 'go away'.

Not sure you'd even need a gun...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xstuntman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2013, 02:56 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,016 Times in 487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by koldhearted1 View Post
Severed head on the fence post can make all but the hardest or most desperate **** bag think twice.
It also means youll be taken seriously, and that theres probably people in there. They now wont muck around and they now know theres something to be gained. Youve provided information.
The Following User Says Thank You to TSilant For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2013, 03:17 AM
Freedom isn't free.

Location: Region 4 - beseiged by communists/ corporate fascists/ criminals...
Thanked 12,416 Times in 3,967 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by koldhearted1 View Post
Ohh thank the Lord! At least one sane person still here.

Thinking about the amount of wealth that Americans have in their homes in the form of things. Look around your own house. The simplest things become treasures when you have nothing. It will be a long long time before any looted home is absolutely picked clean of things of value to people who have nothing. Right down to the last sheet of printer paper or maybe functional ball point pens.

Any home still standing will always be worth a look. Trashing it to look looted isn't going stop people from looking for whatever the others before passed up.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CrypticCRICKET For This Useful Post: