Post back and neck injury recovery and weight loss - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files


Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gunshot Recovery, Tissue Loss! Watch Ryder Health, Fitness and First Aid 26 03-20-2015 12:55 PM
7 Tips For Weight Loss smithjons Health, Fitness and First Aid 9 10-25-2012 05:53 PM
My weight loss journey caridad Health, Fitness and First Aid 37 09-09-2012 08:21 AM
BOB's weight loss..... ThE_LoNgShOt Urban Survival 48 05-18-2012 06:33 PM
Our weight loss odyssey cyber-hazard Health, Fitness and First Aid 11 01-07-2011 10:08 PM
Weight Loss emh1701 Health, Fitness and First Aid 8 11-08-2009 02:48 PM
NEck injury (thanks drunk driver) Light21 Health, Fitness and First Aid 15 08-02-2009 02:51 AM
weight loss vt.cd21 Health, Fitness and First Aid 39 06-20-2008 05:24 AM

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2016, 11:40 AM
htfiremedic's Avatar
htfiremedic htfiremedic is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Upstate SC
Age: 49
Posts: 3,100
Thanks: 2,712
Thanked 4,512 Times in 2,047 Posts
Default Post back and neck injury recovery and weight loss



Advertise Here

On 10-6 & 10-18 of 2014, I suffered Career Ending back and neck injuries. I went through work comp and in June of 2015 I had C5-6 & 6-7 fusion. Titanium and cadaver bones, multiple rounds of PT and Work Conditioning therapy. I had gone from about 180 lbs to 298+.
I was having bouts of depression and hurt constantly. The Md's put me on several meds, SSRI, SNRI, ADHD, Valium and Narcotic pain meds.
I came off the Narcs and SSRI. I'm still on the SNRI, ADHD and Valium(knocks out the Vyvance for ADHD at bed time).
I started watching what I ate, how much and dropped carbonated beverages. I slowly began getting more active. I am working at a "home improvement warehouse", and am walking 5-12 miles a shift. I have dropped to 232.4 as of today.
The back and neck still hurt, but at 45 (and hurting) I am out working the 18-25 year old group. They are slimmer and fitter than I, but seem to lack motivation or work ethic.
Anyway, since January I've dropped a ton of weight, at 5'6" and 232 lbs., I have 50-60 lbs to go, minimum.
The hard part is keeping moving through the pain, and not giving up! The surgery worked at first, but my hands are losing feeling again.
Does anyone have suggestions about the numbness or pain? I don't want to stop working and live off of the Govt. I don't want the narcs. I do want to feel better and keep on keepin on!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to htfiremedic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2016, 12:58 PM
Green Shadow's Avatar
Green Shadow Green Shadow is offline
Constable on a beat
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: My Fox Hole
Posts: 670
Thanks: 63
Thanked 535 Times in 277 Posts
Default

Gotta ask ya a question.

Your screen name is htfiremedic.....so , are you a Paramedic? I am guessing ht is for Motorola HT portable radios. I am a Vertex fan myself.

If you, you have the same Anatomy and Physiology classes I have had. You have the same reasoning, thinking and deductive ability as I do.

I will not detail, but numbness and pain is caused by...........what.???????
Remember - Primary and Differential Diagnosis? If you are a Paramedic ( medic ) ?

1) The only thing you can do is rehab to the best of your ability, and try to show improvement each month, or every eight weeks. NSAIDs, Soak in a tub of hot water the best you can stand it to relax the muscles and ease tension. Hot baths increase circulation in the skin and muscles. *** Increased Neuro and Muscle ability ***
You want those neurons to fire and no obstructions in the synapses.

I take a hot bath about twice a week in the cold months for increased circulation.I take a bath in the cold months for increased circulation.....and I sweat some, which rids my body of some toxins.

2) To help defeat the possibility of retaking the SSRI meds, get out and walk. Enjoy the sun. Spend time with friends and do some board games. Watch a movie with someone. Mingling with others and socializing the best you can.....can help the need for SSRI meds. I've done the SSRI pills before ( The fall of the year 2007 if I am right ) if I am remembering correctly, and I was litterly A ZOMBIE for the three or four months I took them. No more SSRI pills and no more Tylenol Three for me ; as both medications done me much more harm than good in my belief. SSRI meds caused me confusion, inability to think, poor coordination, poor memory, made my eyes very sensitive to light, and in some instances made my medical condition worse.....one problem was I wanted to sleep all the time. I even found myself frequently stuttering when I talked, or I talked in conversations that were drawn out and slow......like I was on downers. I hated taking SSRI meds.

Think, plan ahead, socialize - positive outlook, and discuss treatment options with a Doctor, as well as the options I just discusses above. If you have any doubts ; get a second opinion. Not all Doctors are alike ---> Arrival on a car accident - I had one on the interstate one time holding traction for a compound leg fracture of the left leg, when the guy was breathing and inhaling blood. He looked like a bull frog when he exhaled. My partner had to clear the airway......while the Doc was worried about a compound fracture and minimal blood loss.

Ask a Medical Professional. Find someone with a MD or a DO degree that can help you.

Green Shadow ----**----
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Green Shadow For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2016, 04:29 PM
fx77 fx77 is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NYState
Posts: 1,340
Thanks: 1,455
Thanked 1,243 Times in 585 Posts
Default

U R doing well...fact is most people give up and quit...woe is me
Recent studies indicate pushing through the pain and weaning from narcotics gives reliable return to function as U have demonstrated. Kept it up...it is the march against death
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fx77 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-02-2016, 06:21 PM
Goblin X's Avatar
Goblin X Goblin X is offline
Third World'er Lunatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: coastal south carolina
Posts: 16,245
Thanks: 16,379
Thanked 34,528 Times in 11,535 Posts
Default

On December the 19, 1994, at 0930 am, I wont say the location but, I was hit by a formally im-moveable object, being pushed by a lot of force. in otherwords, in that split second, 411 lbs of metal hit me from a distance of 15 feet, crushing my lowerspine to pieces, a shoulder, hip and a buttload of shrapnel. all I remember when i came back around, was the CM hitting me with morphine sterette , screaming at me, not to flipping die in his chopper. before and after, it got a lil hazy. 1998, they set me up with a experimental pain mask. Morphine pump and dorsal stemulator. Full Lumbar titainium cage, and partial thurassic cage, I did have to relearn how to walk.no sensory. and it aint pretty sometimes, but it moves me.I have to watch for cuts,stabs, burns and snake bites as well. I hadnt felt my legs since then, lost all sensory in 1994, from almost waist down. still retained motor.
they hadnt figured that out either. never, ever ever give up. they stamped me non hireable in 95. since 98, i have operated my own business. even though my military time didnt end the way i wanted it to, just because it did end, doesnt mean your life has to.

whatever it takes to get thru. for me, sometimes, on some if the darkest times, its pure rage to get me past it. whatever you have to do to get past the pain.

But you can. never give up. never quit. If you do they win. and I myself will never go quietly into the darkness.

luck be with you in the fight.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2016, 06:21 PM
Full Moon's Avatar
Full Moon Full Moon is offline
Trapper
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: The States
Posts: 787
Thanks: 5,776
Thanked 1,787 Times in 540 Posts
Default

Good luck man. Seems you're doing better than most would of given that situation.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full Moon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2016, 11:02 PM
htfiremedic's Avatar
htfiremedic htfiremedic is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Upstate SC
Age: 49
Posts: 3,100
Thanks: 2,712
Thanked 4,512 Times in 2,047 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Shadow View Post
Gotta ask ya a question.

Your screen name is htfiremedic.....so , are you a Paramedic? I am guessing ht is for Motorola HT portable radios. I am a Vertex fan myself.

If you, you have the same Anatomy and Physiology classes I have had. You have the same reasoning, thinking and deductive ability as I do.

I will not detail, but numbness and pain is caused by...........what.???????
Remember - Primary and Differential Diagnosis? If you are a Paramedic ( medic ) ?

1) The only thing you can do is rehab to the best of your ability, and try to show improvement each month, or every eight weeks. NSAIDs, Soak in a tub of hot water the best you can stand it to relax the muscles and ease tension. Hot baths increase circulation in the skin and muscles. *** Increased Neuro and Muscle ability ***
You want those neurons to fire and no obstructions in the synapses.

I take a hot bath about twice a week in the cold months for increased circulation.I take a bath in the cold months for increased circulation.....and I sweat some, which rids my body of some toxins.

2) To help defeat the possibility of retaking the SSRI meds, get out and walk. Enjoy the sun. Spend time with friends and do some board games. Watch a movie with someone. Mingling with others and socializing the best you can.....can help the need for SSRI meds. I've done the SSRI pills before ( The fall of the year 2007 if I am right ) if I am remembering correctly, and I was litterly A ZOMBIE for the three or four months I took them. No more SSRI pills and no more Tylenol Three for me ; as both medications done me much more harm than good in my belief. SSRI meds caused me confusion, inability to think, poor coordination, poor memory, made my eyes very sensitive to light, and in some instances made my medical condition worse.....one problem was I wanted to sleep all the time. I even found myself frequently stuttering when I talked, or I talked in conversations that were drawn out and slow......like I was on downers. I hated taking SSRI meds.

Think, plan ahead, socialize - positive outlook, and discuss treatment options with a Doctor, as well as the options I just discusses above. If you have any doubts ; get a second opinion. Not all Doctors are alike ---> Arrival on a car accident - I had one on the interstate one time holding traction for a compound leg fracture of the left leg, when the guy was breathing and inhaling blood. He looked like a bull frog when he exhaled. My partner had to clear the airway......while the Doc was worried about a compound fracture and minimal blood loss.

Ask a Medical Professional. Find someone with a MD or a DO degree that can help you.

Green Shadow ----**----


Paramedic yes, HT is where my home is! HT, SC. Just south of Greenville. Lol
We are country folk! Hot baths, hot showers, TENS Unit and a pneumatic cervical traction unit. That C5-7 survey worked some. Still not 100%. The traction helps a few days.
Second that SSRI & Tylenol 3. Caused many of the same issues here as well. I had no feelings at all!!!
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2016, 11:22 PM
htfiremedic's Avatar
htfiremedic htfiremedic is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Upstate SC
Age: 49
Posts: 3,100
Thanks: 2,712
Thanked 4,512 Times in 2,047 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin X View Post
On December the 19, 1994, at 0930 am, I wont say the location but, I was hit by a formally im-moveable object, being pushed by a lot of force. in otherwords, in that split second, 411 lbs of metal hit me from a distance of 15 feet, crushing my lowerspine to pieces, a shoulder, hip and a buttload of shrapnel. all I remember when i came back around, was the CM hitting me with morphine sterette , screaming at me, not to flipping die in his chopper. before and after, it got a lil hazy. 1998, they set me up with a experimental pain mask. Morphine pump and dorsal stemulator. Full Lumbar titainium cage, and partial thurassic cage, I did have to relearn how to walk.no sensory. and it aint pretty sometimes, but it moves me.I have to watch for cuts,stabs, burns and snake bites as well. I hadnt felt my legs since then, lost all sensory in 1994, from almost waist down. still retained motor.
they hadnt figured that out either. never, ever ever give up. they stamped me non hireable in 95. since 98, i have operated my own business. even though my military time didnt end the way i wanted it to, just because it did end, doesnt mean your life has to.

whatever it takes to get thru. for me, sometimes, on some if the darkest times, its pure rage to get me past it. whatever you have to do to get past the pain.

But you can. never give up. never quit. If you do they win. and I myself will never go quietly into the darkness.

luck be with you in the fight.


Amen! Gotta own it and can't let it win!
I'm hoping to open my own business in the near future, working retail in the hardware business sucks, but it fits the bill. I make a little money and stay busy. The sucky part, at 45, I run circles around the teens and young twenty somethings. NO WORK ETHIC! It drives me nuts.
One was complaining about the job on Friday. When I looked him in the eyes and said, "this is nothing, watch a 7 year old die in your arms, that sucks." He was speechless and walked away. A bit later he came back sheepish and asked if that had really happened. When I told him that age was not a defining factor in death, and explained that watching a person of any age die is tough, he tested up and scampered off. Later he said, "I guess this isn't really that bad!"
Really? Not that bad? It's work, not play time. Being used to snatching folks from the jaws of death, that's a job.
The difference is, jobs are more fun than "work"! I can enjoy a job, I can survive work. These kids don't have a clue yet, they sit and listen to a few of us older guys(Retired LEO's/Fire/EMS) talk and hang on every word. Then they just wander around aimlessly for a while.
I could be "that guy", and just be an jerk. I do sometimes, just for fun. They will learn the hard way about life and it's lumps. I try to tell them to be careful while they are young, because when they get some age it will show! Lol
My boss is a 26 year old lady, I've know for 10 or 11 years. She laughs when I tell the kids about life. She knows me and my story well. She's actually surprised that I haven't carried one kid to the wood shed yet! He a bit useless, and gets what he wants from his folks. Hasn't earned crap, until now!
When I outwork them, they look surprised. I ain't dead yet, and don't intend to be anytime soon. Someone has to break these kids in right, might as well be me! Lol
Time for bed, hot shower and heating pad await! Back to work 12-close tomorrow. Gotta love it!
Thanks for the insight and the thoughts. Change isn't always bad, but it is change. Learning a new role in life, at 45, was not the plan. I guess plans change. The man upstairs knows what I need, Better than I do! Gonna run with that, day by day, minute by minute.
Thanks!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to htfiremedic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2016, 05:31 AM
Green Shadow's Avatar
Green Shadow Green Shadow is offline
Constable on a beat
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: My Fox Hole
Posts: 670
Thanks: 63
Thanked 535 Times in 277 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfiremedic View Post
Second that SSRI & Tylenol 3. Caused many of the same issues here as well. I had no feelings at all!!!
Well.........me and you suffered the same pain that is for sure.

SSRI meds all ought to be thrown in the river. I will never take another pill if I have anything to say about it.


Green Shadow *
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2016, 06:09 AM
dontbuypotteryfromme's Avatar
dontbuypotteryfromme dontbuypotteryfromme is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Far north queensland Australia
Posts: 20,668
Thanks: 4,428
Thanked 16,051 Times in 8,523 Posts
Default

Probably inflammation. At a cost level you can try acupuncture, massage and the like. On the cheap you can try things like hot showers and ice baths.

If swimming works,water running,aquarobics give that a go as well.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2016, 06:10 AM
usmchawk usmchawk is offline
Been there, done that
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 219
Thanks: 336
Thanked 400 Times in 153 Posts
Default

I've had l5-6 fusion, opted out of the c4-5 fusion. Although I still have numbness in my legs and feet, amazing what the mind can overcome. For the constant pain, my Doc put me on Tramadal for long term chronic pain. I also do yoga everyday, purchased a Tempurpedic mattress that has helped a lot, and I exercise (cardio and weights) everyday, and lastly I try to keep to less than 2000 calories a day. I feel good, I have loads of energy, and I can do just about anything. I'm 6'1", 220lbs, and 51 years old.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2016, 06:33 AM
Belnik Belnik is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,126
Thanks: 1,529
Thanked 2,902 Times in 1,581 Posts
Default

I'm going to add some of my own thoughts to this thread, but I'll first say I have no experience with what your going through nor am I involved in any medical work.

I agree that if you can get off whatever prescription meds you are on, its a step forward. (too many docs push pills, had one suggest I take meds for high cholesterol, said he takes them himself because he would not cut down or out his krispy creams)

You mentioned you started watching what you ate...well thats good, kind of late to the party but you you gotta start some where right. I fear waiting until you became injured prior to starting to clean up your diet puts you behind the power curve. I would double down on the nutrition, it will not be fun but its probably one of the most important things you can do. The body is pretty much constantly rebuilding its self, and only has what we feed it to do so.

Next would be exercise, again do the PT and rehab work. I'd also look into anything else available...yoga, tai chi, aquatic fitness classes for the old, anything that you can do, anything that allows/forces movement.
I'd seek out these examples and talk to them, most will probably be interested in trying to help.

Oh, almost forgot. Invest in some better shoes, insoles and foot care. Those miles of pounding the concrete at the big box store is not helping you back. (In some dark times I too worked at one of those places and know what your talking about with the other workers...I won't get into it but I'll not defend those stores, they don't deserve your work ethic...hopefully you get out and start your own thing.) I'd roll my feet on some sort of massager, tennis balls, and frozen water bottles daily back then and it really helped. Good walking shoes also helped.

Good luck
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2016, 08:31 AM
fx77 fx77 is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NYState
Posts: 1,340
Thanks: 1,455
Thanked 1,243 Times in 585 Posts
Smile

Tell U where the prescription pain medication issue arose...
About 15+ years ago the Joint Commission on Hospital Accreditation decided doctors were not adequately controlling pain..many were reluctant to give these meds for fear of abuse or addiction, and told people that the pain would improve and to tough it out...then the commission which rates hospitals decided pain control was poor. they decided that pain was the 5th Vital sign..(Temp, Pulse, Respirations, BP were the others) Everyday the hospital staff had to go to the bedside and ask"On a Scale of 1-10 what is your pain...then On a scale of 1-10 what is acceptable to U for pain?
Needless to say everyone wants a big 0..so U were obligated to keep upping the dose until the numbers matched the patient's expectations..add to that that now health care professionals and their institutions are graded on "Patient satisfaction"
This leads to Administrators who have taken over health care with their overpaid MBA status to judge medical care and "service performance" which they can trumpet to the airwaves in the local markets with exit satisfaction surveys. so if Unreally want to know about one of the factors that has driven overprescribing....look here

Additionally, patients who leave an office without getting something feel the have had no treatment..be it a pill prescription, a therapy referral MRI test ..whatever..they talk to their friends..what did the doctor do for you? (He may have spent 20" discussing the case, explaining the physiology, stressing that it will get better...that drugs are not needed, that an MRI will not change diagnosis or treatment...) but the patient is not satisfied..and says "Hedid nothing!) so the good friend says, "He must be a quack..go see someone else...usually "My Guy"

So good doctor #1 sees his practice shrink, and doctor #2 has a thriving practice because he gives people what they want (braces, medications, MRI's, therapy etc..)regardless of cost, medical necessity, or evidence based decision making. He gets them in and out, sees more people per day because he doesn't argue with them, and they feel better about the encounter..It has become all about sales and revenue growth..even more so with the big behemoth medical hospitals-groups buying up many practices and creating local monopolies...but it is what people want and I hope they get it
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to fx77 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2016, 09:58 AM
htfiremedic's Avatar
htfiremedic htfiremedic is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Upstate SC
Age: 49
Posts: 3,100
Thanks: 2,712
Thanked 4,512 Times in 2,047 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx77 View Post
Tell U where the prescription pain medication issue arose...

About 15+ years ago the Joint Commission on Hospital Accreditation decided doctors were not adequately controlling pain..many were reluctant to give these meds for fear of abuse or addiction, and told people that the pain would improve and to tough it out...then the commission which rates hospitals decided pain control was poor. they decided that pain was the 5th Vital sign..(Temp, Pulse, Respirations, BP were the others) Everyday the hospital staff had to go to the bedside and ask"On a Scale of 1-10 what is your pain...then On a scale of 1-10 what is acceptable to U for pain?

Needless to say everyone wants a big 0..so U were obligated to keep upping the dose until the numbers matched the patient's expectations..add to that that now health care professionals and their institutions are graded on "Patient satisfaction"

This leads to Administrators who have taken over health care with their overpaid MBA status to judge medical care and "service performance" which they can trumpet to the airwaves in the local markets with exit satisfaction surveys. so if Unreally want to know about one of the factors that has driven overprescribing....look here



Additionally, patients who leave an office without getting something feel the have had no treatment..be it a pill prescription, a therapy referral MRI test ..whatever..they talk to their friends..what did the doctor do for you? (He may have spent 20" discussing the case, explaining the physiology, stressing that it will get better...that drugs are not needed, that an MRI will not change diagnosis or treatment...) but the patient is not satisfied..and says "Hedid nothing!) so the good friend says, "He must be a quack..go see someone else...usually "My Guy"



So good doctor #1 sees his practice shrink, and doctor #2 has a thriving practice because he gives people what they want (braces, medications, MRI's, therapy etc..)regardless of cost, medical necessity, or evidence based decision making. He gets them in and out, sees more people per day because he doesn't argue with them, and they feel better about the encounter..It has become all about sales and revenue growth..even more so with the big behemoth medical hospitals-groups buying up many practices and creating local monopolies...but it is what people want and I hope they get it


Yup, have seen that locally. Dr. 2's lot was always packed!
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2016, 12:07 PM
NTGhike NTGhike is offline
Just That Guy
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 307
Thanks: 12
Thanked 218 Times in 121 Posts
Default

since my ems career has ended they want to do the same with me. I'm glad things are going good for you.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2016, 12:15 PM
juskom95's Avatar
juskom95 juskom95 is offline
Time to melt snowflakes!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kentucky
Age: 36
Posts: 30,160
Thanks: 65,855
Thanked 66,357 Times in 22,045 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfiremedic View Post
Does anyone have suggestions about the numbness or pain? I don't want to stop working and live off of the Govt. I don't want the narcs. I do want to feel better and keep on keepin on!
Learn to live with it. Not good advice but that is about it.

I am in a similar 'boat'. I avoid narcotics, hate being on them (feel like a zombie). I have some for the 'bad days' but I will put off taking them as long as I can still marginally function.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2016, 03:40 PM
BabyBlue BabyBlue is offline
Forward, into the fray!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Near Denver, co.
Posts: 3,680
Thanks: 5,218
Thanked 9,387 Times in 2,765 Posts
Default

Centuries ago I broke my back in two places, and my neck. Spent 3 months in traction. Having done very little other than let it heal, they sent me home to 2 years in a brace. It was always there, but I had a pretty normal life.

Now I'm getting old and it's trying to come back at me. I'm not giving a list of my symptoms because I've got it good compared to a lot of people. I get a lot of relief from the pain from a good masseuse and hot packs. Even tried acupuncture once or twice with decent results. you can't live a good life on painkillers and narcotics. They help cause the depression. (Lyrica REALLY causes depression) Find a useful physical therapy workout and keep to it. Active muscles lead to an active brain. Eat pretty food, and listen to happy music. Watch baby goats (they're hilarious). Anything to keep those doldrums away.

Best of luck**
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2016, 03:59 AM
boron boron is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfiremedic View Post
The hard part is keeping moving through the pain, and not giving up! The surgery worked at first, but my hands are losing feeling again.
Does anyone have suggestions about the numbness or pain? I don't want to stop working and live off of the Govt. I don't want the narcs. I do want to feel better and keep on keepin on!
I believe that prolonged sitting, repeated bending the neck, poking the chin (computer work), turning or tilting the head and using arms aggravates the pain from the neck spine. If I imagine it right, you work with arms a lot -- this may be aggravating the bulging disc in your neck spine resulting in pinched nerves and then pain and numbness.

My single comment is, try to find a job which would include less arm work. Also, try to get off of those meds.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to boron For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2016, 08:53 PM
htfiremedic's Avatar
htfiremedic htfiremedic is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Upstate SC
Age: 49
Posts: 3,100
Thanks: 2,712
Thanked 4,512 Times in 2,047 Posts
Default

I put in an application at a regional gun shop. I'm hoping that it comes through.
Say a little prayer!


Steve
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017, 01:43 AM
5keepers's Avatar
5keepers 5keepers is offline
HidingInPlainSight 3%
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Cocos Islands
Posts: 717
Thanks: 467
Thanked 625 Times in 320 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfiremedic View Post
On 10-6 & 10-18 of 2014, I suffered Career Ending back and neck injuries. I went through work comp and in June of 2015 I had C5-6 & 6-7 fusion. Titanium and cadaver bones, multiple rounds of PT and Work Conditioning therapy. I had gone from about 180 lbs to 298+.
I was having bouts of depression and hurt constantly. The Md's put me on several meds, SSRI, SNRI, ADHD, Valium and Narcotic pain meds.
I came off the Narcs and SSRI. I'm still on the SNRI, ADHD and Valium(knocks out the Vyvance for ADHD at bed time).
I started watching what I ate, how much and dropped carbonated beverages. I slowly began getting more active. I am working at a "home improvement warehouse", and am walking 5-12 miles a shift. I have dropped to 232.4 as of today.
The back and neck still hurt, but at 45 (and hurting) I am out working the 18-25 year old group. They are slimmer and fitter than I, but seem to lack motivation or work ethic.
Anyway, since January I've dropped a ton of weight, at 5'6" and 232 lbs., I have 50-60 lbs to go, minimum.
The hard part is keeping moving through the pain, and not giving up! The surgery worked at first, but my hands are losing feeling again.
Does anyone have suggestions about the numbness or pain? I don't want to stop working and live off of the Govt. I don't want the narcs. I do want to feel better and keep on keepin on!
Hey.. I have the same neck surgery.. the first fused C5 to C6 and then another operation three years later to fuse C6 to C7 and the titanium plate and screws.. I have a great surgeon,, the pain was not bad and pretty much subside until I fell through and off a ladder(3rd rung) and my foot went through,I fell backwards, landed on my head/neck/shoulder.. ended up having the shoulder rebuilt and knee surgery AGAIN.. I am now completely bone on bone in my shoulder and have constant pain to the point I can hardly cast my fishing rod. The numbness and pain in my arm and hand is very painful.. My Ortho-Surg wants to replace my shoulder... my GP MD just shuddered when I told him, he said that is the most painful surgery by far.. SO > NO on that.. he knows about the other 8 surgeries I have had. I finally (got referred) went to a Neurologist,, after MRI and x-ray.. we are trying an anti-seizure medication called Gabapentin, 100mg, 2 in the morning and 2 at bed time,, its been a month now and the pain is almost gone!! My hand and arm no longer hurt and the numbness is minimal! This is a non-narcotic. I cannot believe the difference this has made, as I have been given all kinds of drugs,, including Demerol and Dilaudid with only very temporary pain relief!!
PLEASE.. try this and give it time to work!! There is NO downside!!

Congrats on the weight loss>> Keep it going down!!
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017, 01:55 AM
5keepers's Avatar
5keepers 5keepers is offline
HidingInPlainSight 3%
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Cocos Islands
Posts: 717
Thanks: 467
Thanked 625 Times in 320 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin X View Post
On December the 19, 1994, at 0930 am, I wont say the location but, I was hit by a formally im-moveable object, being pushed by a lot of force. in otherwords, in that split second, 411 lbs of metal hit me from a distance of 15 feet, crushing my lowerspine to pieces, a shoulder, hip and a buttload of shrapnel. all I remember when i came back around, was the CM hitting me with morphine sterette , screaming at me, not to flipping die in his chopper. before and after, it got a lil hazy. 1998, they set me up with a experimental pain mask. Morphine pump and dorsal stemulator. Full Lumbar titainium cage, and partial thurassic cage, I did have to relearn how to walk.no sensory. and it aint pretty sometimes, but it moves me.I have to watch for cuts,stabs, burns and snake bites as well. I hadnt felt my legs since then, lost all sensory in 1994, from almost waist down. still retained motor.
they hadnt figured that out either. never, ever ever give up. they stamped me non hireable in 95. since 98, i have operated my own business. even though my military time didnt end the way i wanted it to, just because it did end, doesnt mean your life has to.

whatever it takes to get thru. for me, sometimes, on some if the darkest times, its pure rage to get me past it. whatever you have to do to get past the pain.

But you can. never give up. never quit. If you do they win. and I myself will never go quietly into the darkness.

luck be with you in the fight.
411lbs..sounds like a 55 gal. drum..? Sorry to hear, but you are one tough S.O.B and still given 'em hell!! Glad you are here!!
Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks



Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Survivalist Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Gender
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Kevin Felts 2006 - 2015,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net