Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Goal Zero thecyclops Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 26 08-05-2013 08:00 AM
goal zero confused? bobbydeadup Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 27 07-31-2013 07:22 PM
Whats your goal really? sigmund Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 41 06-29-2013 03:34 PM
Soda Pop or Soda? How Americans Speak Shown in Maps GobSpark General Discussion 90 06-10-2013 03:33 PM
Get a job is a bad goal! SSanf General Discussion 11 04-29-2010 03:57 PM
1st goal down celticroots General Discussion 0 04-28-2010 09:14 AM
another goal met! tkd Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 12-30-2009 07:20 PM
Is it the goal of Christianity alergyfree Religious Discussion 45 02-04-2009 07:41 PM
My Goal Antiacus Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 1 10-01-2008 07:58 PM

Old 01-10-2016, 08:01 AM

Advertise Here

Don't drink >any< carbonated berage in excess. Diet or other wise-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GdTFwmnoDY

Note - dental damage from bubbles -
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Roadagent1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2016, 08:15 AM
Off the leash

Thanked 2,561 Times in 997 Posts

Have you thought of making your own home brewed iced tea? I make ours without sugar for me and add a teaspoon or two of real sugar to sardog's as he liked his sweetened.

Not only is it cheaper then soda and you can still get your caffeine and sugar without all the extra added the junk you don't need.

I just take an old large mouth quart jar, put in however many tea bags I want for desired strength of tea, then either add hot water or set it on the wood stove for a bit. In a couple hours you have a base to make your tea whenever desired.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mrs.sardog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2016, 08:50 AM
Cave canem

Thanked 11,127 Times in 3,865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.sardog View Post
Have you thought of making your own home brewed iced tea? I make ours without sugar for me and add a teaspoon or two of real sugar to sardog's as he liked his sweetened.
I am a big fan of sweet tea too. I also keep a 32 oz bottle of lemon juice in the fridge and make a glass of lemonade with a squirt or two.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S610 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2016, 08:59 AM

Default My goal is to quit soda...

Good luck on quitting the fizzy drinks. Your health is one of the most important preps in your Arsenal IMO. I wish you all the best!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to losing.daylight For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2016, 04:24 PM
Target Shooter

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by losing.daylight View Post
Good luck on quitting the fizzy drinks. Your health is one of the most important preps in your Arsenal IMO. I wish you all the best!
https://youtu.be/YW_JTRWy3PI
Old 01-18-2016, 11:35 PM

Just stop drinking it, its good but it packs on lbs as you know. There is no excuse for it, a strong will, will help you lose weight and save you in a survival situation. start drinking fruit smoothies or pure fruit juice like the naked drinks or boathouse there realy good, sweet and take of the craving. also changing your diet so you dont crave sweets. Id be happy to help i make meal and fitness plans for many freinds and family, i am also a trainer at a local ymca.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:34 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,784 Times in 5,041 Posts

So, I drink diet soda... close to a gallon a day. It was regular pepsi years ago, but then I developed diabetes and had to switch. I very much prefer the ones sweetened with splenda, aspartame does not taste good.

Anyway, for those who have quite, I want to ask... how did you make yourself enjoy other drinks enough to give up the soda?

Let me explain, yes, the health issue is at least an unknown variable. I know drinking that much soda is probably bad for me, but I don't feel any physical effects that can be positively associated with it. My main reason for wanting to quit, or at least cut drastically back, is that soda has gotten too expensive. $4 for a twelve pack has been considered a "sale" price for a couple years now, and I prefer not to pay even that much.

I've tried substituting tea and lemonade, but they just don't seem to hit the spot (and having to make it all the time is a hassle) and drinking too much of those leaves my throat feeling raw. Too much water does that also, but I really almost never actively crave water. I'm really just stuck as to how I can get myself to enjoy something else enough to replace the soda. It also has to actually be cheaper. No sense in dropping soda for flavored water if I still end up paying $4 or more per gallon.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:48 AM
Hunter

Thanked 4,664 Times in 882 Posts

Used to drink 4-5 cans of Dr. Pepper da day, but it got to tasting too sweet to me, so switched to ginger ale a few years ago. Found that I could drink it even if it was flat/warm. A month or so ago, decided I was drinking too much of that and have switched to Arizona ice tea with lemon flavor. Even so, it's still too sweet, so I add about 50% water to it.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:56 AM
Living the dream:-)

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81eagle View Post
I am right there with the ones who quit it. I was never a real heavy soda drinker, maybe 2 20oz a day, but even that is WAY too much. I now drink about 2gal of water a day, and had 5-6 sodas for the entire year of 2015. I am 5'8" and was 207 today I weighed 165, and over summer I was hanging right at 160. best wishes to those who want to quit. Now if I could only give up beer, I would be doing GREAT!
I'm about about the same boat as you. Drink usually 60+ plus oz. Of water a day. Only drink natural teas with honey, beers and maybe 5 sodas all year. And I was drinking 2 rockstar energy drinks daily,soda regularly and coffee unless hiking/walking any distances. Basically had a week long caffeine crash and now I don't drink any caffiene.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gva For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2016, 04:14 AM
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 11,353 Times in 4,376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broylz View Post
Sounds simple but others will understand. I drink quite a bit of soda. Probably 8 cans or more in a day. Yesterday i cut out my soda before lunch and drank black coffee instead. Also ate pretty well, fruit and almonds and juice for breakfast and had a lean cuizine meal for lunch.

That said when i got home and started working in my garage i started feeling very shaky and dizzy with a racing heart beat. I came inside and sat down but that didnt help much. Ended up sharing an ice cream cone with my 2 year old and 3 bites later i was fine.

So now im thinking that i may be on the verge of some sort of low blood sugar diabetes or something. I am scheduling a doctors appointment to have it looked at to see but it definitely was the eye opening scare.

Has anyone else been in a similar position? Any advice or suggestions? I am currently 33 years old, 6 foot tall and 235lbs. I am not nearly as physically active as i shold be but lately i have been trying to cut a few pounds and lift weights but am not able to lose a pound.
I cut out soda almost completely years ago. Kidney stone issues. Started drinking bubbly water instead. Found out it was the fizz that I liked, and not the sugar and caffeine.

My wife and I BOTH drink lots of bubbly. Nice thing is.... It's water, you can have as much as you like.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:45 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,324 Times in 469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov View Post
I cut out soda almost completely years ago. Kidney stone issues. Started drinking bubbly water instead. Found out it was the fizz that I liked, and not the sugar and caffeine.

My wife and I BOTH drink lots of bubbly. Nice thing is.... It's water, you can have as much as you like.
I drink a lot of soda, it cuts the gunk in the back of my throat. I wonder if fizzy water would have the same effect.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mmamom For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2016, 10:26 AM
OTP Rebel

I quit drinking soda regular or diet about 4 years ago

I just drink our well water,coffee,teas and of course beer
The Following User Says Thank You to AquaHull For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2016, 11:19 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,966 Times in 769 Posts

Good luck, I quit drinking pop in college more or less on a dare, for about 2.5 years. And now, all these years later, I don't drink it very much.

I suggest weaning off. And be careful with juices and such. They have a lot of sugar in them too. Better than pop all-around, but you'll still get the sugar you're trying to remove from your diet
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NickTheGreat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2016, 01:00 PM
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 11,353 Times in 4,376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmamom View Post
I drink a lot of soda, it cuts the gunk in the back of my throat. I wonder if fizzy water would have the same effect.
Same here. I think bubbly water does a better job of it because it's clean.

Check out the soda shelf in your grocery store. Some stores like HEB here in Texas, has it's own brand in two liter bottles, and it's cheaper than a two liter of soda. The store brands seem to have more fizz than Perrier, or Ozarka. However, Perrier has a citrus, unsweetened water that I really like, and Ozarka has some fruit flavored ones that are some of my favorites too (Watermelon!). Also unsweetened.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:08 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 10,983 Times in 5,386 Posts

No one "needs" sugar or caffeine. If you abuse either or both of them you will have problems quitting them. No one that is 30 years old should be overweight.

You are doing the right thing to get off soda. Do it gradually because your body is used that crap.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:22 PM

At my worst, when I was in my mid 30's I drank 2 2-liters a day. It was so bad that I was having heart palpitations.

Last year I was still drinking at least 2 sodas per day or more when I hit 249 pounds. When I saw the scale, I stopped drinking soda that day. It took roughly 3 days for the headaches to go away and I used Tylenol to help with those. It took a few weeks for my body to get used to the sugar going away. I tried weaning myself off of the soda, but I was always tricking myself into one more so that's why I quit cold-turkey.

However, it has been almost a year now and with exercise, I'm down to 230 pounds and I've replaced soda with water. The funny thing is water tastes better to me than it ever did and I don't understand how I could drink all of that crap. I might have a soda or two in a month, but they are always a treat, always a small amount and I never buy Pepsi, diet sodas, or Mountain Dew.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:00 PM
The Mom

Thanked 2,761 Times in 823 Posts

I haven't had soda, juice, lemonade or sweet tea, since 2015--best decision ever. No one needs all that sugar. I read somewhere once that kids at age 5 nowadays have eaten more sugar than an adult did in their entire life just a couple generations ago. It's bad.

You can decide the way you want to quit--cold turkey or weaning--as long as you DO it. Post here about your progress, you'll get tons of support.
The Following User Says Thank You to MickeyCJS For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2017, 02:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,717 Times in 5,649 Posts

I quit soda last fall with the heart attack. I drink mainly water now and a seltzer and lime if I'm at the bar. I was drinking about 15 Pepsis a week and not the diet stuff. I really don't miss it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2017, 03:55 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,218 Times in 942 Posts

I'm right there with you.
Though my habit is diet Coke.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:36 AM

I drank black tea during my transition away.