Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Great deals on Kelty tents, sleeping pads and backpacks! alpiner Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 1 04-11-2014 08:44 AM
Sleeping Bags ? Vacas Locas Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 30 09-18-2012 07:54 PM
Sleeping pads Foam or air or both? tankman1989 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 29 01-29-2012 12:04 AM
Big Agnes StormKing Sleeping Bag purchase - A+!! tankman1989 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 8 01-23-2012 10:05 AM
Sleeping bags and B.O.B tonyt Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 9 02-07-2011 09:15 PM
Magellan sleeping pads kev Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 17 01-31-2010 02:09 PM
Sleeping pads/mats BOBtheBUTCHER Reviews and questions 18 01-24-2010 07:35 AM
The downside of open-cell foam sleeping pads? twyggy Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 5 12-10-2009 10:11 PM
You know those blue foam sleeping pads.. squidy Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 11 09-07-2009 10:32 PM
Need help with sleeping bags.. Link Reviews and questions 3 05-05-2009 12:10 PM

Old 09-13-2012, 09:08 PM

Default Advice on Big Agnes sleeping bags/sleeping pads

Advertise Here

I was thinking of getting a Big Agnes Lost Ranger. I understand that the bottom of the bag does not have much or any loft but instead it has a slot you put the sleeping pad in.

-What kind of sleeping pads would be good for this type for sleeping bag?

I know a lot of people like the Air Sleeping pads but I try to avoid them for fear of puncturing them on the job (then I'd be screwed). I work in the forest.

I was thinking of getting a foam pad (it can take some abuse), the ALPS Mountaineering Foam Pad. I'm just not sure if it would keep the earth from taking my body heat.

-Any advice on foam pads that might do the job?
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,767 Times in 1,627 Posts

I believe they take the "thermarest" pads. I have used one for a few years with no problems. But, you can get a patch/repair kit for them too.

I have the "pro-lite" nice pad, under 2lbs.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Guns and Yoga

Thanked 2,728 Times in 987 Posts

The BA system works depending on how you sleep. I have the Lost Ranger, which is NOT insulated on the bottom, but has a sleeve that you insert your insulated pad into, works well for people who sleep like a mummy and are very stationary... very confining. I, on the other hand, am a thrasher, the system was too confining, so i ended up just throwing my bag over me like a quilt.

The system is very warm, but if you move around, stick with a quilt or full bag setup. I must say the BA Insulated Air Core mattress (which is was designed for) was AWESOME for snowcaving!

AAARRGH- computer hiccup....any ensolite, thermarest, etc will work.

Last edited by britzen; 09-13-2012 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: added info
The Following User Says Thank You to britzen For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 09:29 PM

I have the lost ranger as well. I have the insulated inflatable pad that goes in the sleeve. I'm a big fan of things that are extremely reliable. My concern with this setup is that if the pad develops a leak you're going to be SOL sleeping on the ground with no insulation on the bottom. For that very reason if I were to do it over I would get a bag that was insulated top and bottom. It is nice however to not slide off the sleeping pad during the night.
The Following User Says Thank You to Smike For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2012, 10:03 PM
Guns and Yoga

Thanked 2,728 Times in 987 Posts

I killed my AirCore after 6 years of hard use... actually failed at the valve.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:46 PM

I'm going to try and find a 4 season, closed cell foam pad. I don't mind sleeping on flat ground as long as there are no rocks beneath me I'm fine.

Thanks for the information.
The Following User Says Thank You to RangingMan For This Useful Post: