Kit that May Surprise You: Part I - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This is a Siglock - part Sig part Glock Gunner65 Pistol and Revolver Forum 15 02-27-2015 11:56 AM
Multiple media outlets reporting Chavez wins - surprise, surprise prepperintraining Political News and Discussion 1 10-07-2012 09:58 PM
Surprise, surprise... Romney says he likes parts of 'Obamacare' Cleaner44 Political News and Discussion 45 09-12-2012 09:46 AM
Surprise, surprise! BO ready to raise taxes. willow Political News and Discussion 25 08-03-2011 06:35 AM
GOLD - 1 part purchasing power, 1 part FEAR MikeinLA Financial Forum 48 12-14-2010 11:40 AM
Part review, part how to M97 parka and liner. Pawiscoming Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 1 12-04-2010 10:02 PM
Where would you like to be WTSHTF Part II - What part of East TN? JustSurviving Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 5 04-20-2009 03:13 PM
Surprise, surprise, finding AR uppers is tough right now Sig_Guy Military Weapons Forum 8 11-09-2008 04:19 PM
A Covenant with Death by Bill Cooper Part 3 (Last Part) Gunner65 Controversial News and Alternative Politics 0 10-01-2008 05:01 PM

Old 09-04-2012, 07:25 AM
5 Will Survive

Thanked 63,349 Times in 10,373 Posts
Default Kit that May Surprise You: Part I

Advertise Here

So I buggered my achilles training for one of those gonzo mountain run/obstacle courses that are the latest rage for extreme sports, and was on the lookout for a really comfy pair of walking shoes. I eyeballed shoes used by nurses, but they look kind of dorky, and the several hundred dollar Oakley's used by bouncers and rent-a-cops were beyond what I'm willing to pay.
Lo and behold I came across, these gimicky-sounding things: Shape-Ups.

Now currently they're finalizing a law suit due to their bs claims that their Shape Up shoes toned the bum, helped weight loss, etc. Quite frankly I don't care about those claims. When I bought them I was amazed by how much cushion they had, but still how light they felt. I walked all throughout Seattle's hilly streets, clocked up many miles without taxi or bus with no knee, ankle or foot pain. And they take a beating. I use them for one of my jobs, which is security oriented and requires a lot of walking and have had them for five months now, with not even a thread loose.

A real bonus is that these are the most silent, stealthy shoes I've ever worn. The spongey, thick soles emit nearly zero footfall noise for me (182 lbs). Workmates and I are always pranking each other by sneaking up and doing the BOO! thing, or stealing each others lunches and I've had great LoL's with them.

Only negative aspects are that they don't breath well, have poor grip on slimy surfaces and -and this is a real downer- their soles are very narrow. This, combined with the height of the padded soles makes for high possiblity to turn an ankle and hurt it bad.

Ironically, though they can cause a slip easily, or twist an ankle if you're, say, in a self defense situation, ie fighting, they're very good for climbing so long as surfaces aren't slick. Training this morning I scaled an outside wall up a pipe easy as goblin' pie.
In short:

+ very comfy
+ very well made
+ can walk good distance, no pain in ankles, knees or soles of feet.
+ very, very quiet, can easily come up on someone with a minimum of ambient noise for cover.
+ light and tight enough for climbing and scaling dry obstacles.
+ I'm finding them on sale due to the company's law suit
+ black shoe, can blend in with most city jobs, maybe even a suit if you're only grey collar.

- narrow foot base means potential to roll ankle.
- treads have zero grip on oily/slimy surfaces
- poor ventilation.

Anyone else try/using these?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to junglecrawler For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2012, 08:22 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,468 Times in 830 Posts

I love my Sketchers!!!!

White ones for the gym and black ones for everyday. They are called work Sketchers and are slip resistant. When I switch back to regular shoes my feet slap the pavement like clown shoes!!

http://www.zappos.com/skechers-skech...entSales/desc/
The Following User Says Thank You to 7.62 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2012, 08:24 AM
5 Will Survive

Thanked 63,349 Times in 10,373 Posts

Na-ice!
Didn't now there were non-slip work oriented ones. Will have to keep an eye out for 'em.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2012, 08:58 AM
Hiker

I fractured my heel and broke my ankle a few years ago, so it is hard for me to find a pair of comfortable walking shoes. Sketchers (everyday wear and walking) and Danners (for hunting and winter sports) are the most comfortable shoes that I have found.

The only problem I have with Sketchers is, I walk the sole off of them. The sole comes unglued. I used to wear Nike Air and had the same problem with them.

I walk 2 to 3 miles every day, morning and evening, so the miles do add up fast on them and for the comfort, I am willing to put up with the sole not holding up.

If you are not too picky about the color, you can find them on Amazon for about 1/2 of what you normally pay in the stores.
The Following User Says Thank You to Packitup For This Useful Post: