New Akdal AR-style shotgun - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saiga 12 Killer? Introducing the Akdal MKA 1919 rezarxt Military Weapons Forum 104 03-29-2017 07:30 PM
Looking into a new style of Semi-Auto shotgun for myself nightwolf1974 Shotgun Forum 15 04-05-2015 09:41 PM
Catamount Fury 12ga Saiga pattern shotgun semi auto AK Sporter style - $399.95 apps47inc For Sale 0 11-25-2013 04:41 PM
Akdal 1919 12 Gauge ?AR-15? Shotgun AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 11-13-2013 10:30 AM
AKDAL MK19B 1919 12 GA Semi-Auto Shotgun 18.5" barrel 5 Rnds Black - $640 (Video apps47inc For Sale 0 05-31-2012 05:20 PM
AKDAL MK19B 1919 12 GA Semi-Auto Shotgun 18.5" barrel 5 Rnds Black - $669.34 + $6 S/H apps47inc For Sale 0 05-05-2012 07:54 PM
Akdal MKA 1919 12GA? Brettboat Shotgun Forum 4 09-04-2011 03:13 PM
DIY Lavvu, Laavu, or other tent, tipi style or wall style. fhowk DIY - Do It Yourself 2 08-21-2010 02:27 PM
AR 15 style grip on shotgun? psyprofessor Shotgun Forum 6 12-01-2008 01:54 AM
IAC 12 Remington 870 Style Tactical / Home Defense Shotgun spaz218 Firearms General Discussion 7 04-24-2008 11:37 PM

Old 01-13-2012, 07:07 AM
Hiker

Default New Akdal AR-style shotgun

Advertise Here

Well sir, I've been using my new Akdal MKA 1919 12ga shotgun for a couple of weeks now, and it looks to be another great answer to the home defense question.

It looks like an AR but built 20 percent or so bigger. It seems to kick a good bit softer than my Saigas, and it will shoot and cycle, from the box, everything down to and including AA 7.5's and 8's.

It comes with two five round mags, one labeled 3 inch, the other 2.75 inch, but I'm using them completely interchangably. In the past, I've shied away from 3 inch magnums for 00 buckshot, for my other shotguns tend to feed them less reliably. This gun though, shoots 3 inch shells with nary a hiccup.

The sights are ghost ring types, with the AR profile. I've changed them to a set of Magwell MBUS, but quickly returned to the out of the box set-up. I did paint the front sight post white, added a TLR 1, and now, I'm pretty doggoned well set for use in hazardous situations.

Rails are easily added to the forearm for accessories, field stripping fairly easy, although the stock must be removed via a 6mm bolt inside, which adds a tad to the cleaning regimen.

All in all, I find I'm leaving my Saigas in the safe, and shooting this gun lots. And so for, the only failures out of a hundred or so shots, has been with 2 of my low powered reloads with poor crimps.

Good shootin' to y'all...

Shotgun Bill
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shotgunbill For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 07:27 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,131 Times in 391 Posts

Thanks for the review. I might have to consider purchasing one of these. Been thinking about a combat style shotgun.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:33 PM
Chains keep us together.

Thanked 49,594 Times in 16,329 Posts

What did it cost you?

The Following User Says Thank You to rover For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2012, 08:43 PM
CLASSIFIED

Quick search on Bing:

http://armsofamerica.com/akdalmka191912gashotgun.aspx
Old 01-14-2012, 05:18 PM
Hiker

It cost 700, came with 2 five round steel mags, one of them 2.75 inch, the other 3 inch.

I've placed an AR15 scope mount, which sits atop the handle, on it, and upon that a pair of 1 inch rings, into which I now have set a very bright, very focused Coast brand Lenser flashlight.

I had been using a TLR 1 on a short rail I had added to the left side of the forearm, but having used this light, it sitting on the handle in scope rings suits me just fine. I believe that in using a scope, I'll simply remove the handle and light, and use the flat top rail, since I feel the handle and upper rail would raise the scope beyond comfortable use for me. A Red Dot though? or a Holo? Shucks, in that you don't have to look exactly head on, they might work well in that lofty position. More testing of course, is in order.

Truth is, I've just returned from having mis-loaded my magazines (on purpose) putting five 2.75 inch rounds in the 3 inch mag, and five 3 inch magnum rounds in the 2.75 mags. I've also mixed and matched the different length shells between the 2 mags.

I then went hunting, in my front yard ('lawn' to you city slickers and yankees), which still had a substantial population of Maple Tree widow makers left over from the disastrous ice storm of '09.

The results? Perfect feeding and firing (3 inch magnum #1 steel shot, and 2.75 inch AA 8's), and a final score of...

Shotgun Bill...10 hits and kills (actually, shooting out some of the WMs caused a number of them to break in two, therefore increasing my total from 10 shots to something more like 13). The widow makers...0 survivors.

The widow makers met their match, in the Akdal MKA 1919 shotgun, wielded by yours' truly.

Good shootin' to ya,

Shotgun Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to shotgunbill For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2012, 08:03 AM
This is a great survival forum

I had been looking into getting a Saiga shotgun since I first saw one. Then started hearing things about reliability issues out of the box and strayed away from the idea.

Then the population and popularity of them started to rise. So did the price. So Saiga took a back seat to more affordable firearms.

So down the road got wind of the Akdal 12 gauge. Seemed to be a good alternative to buying a Saiga. But reviews were lax. And no one had one. Then tromix and a few others got their hands on the first one to come into the US. The ones that had the red and clear jewls in them () Also the non mil-spec reciever rail. To me I felt it was just a silly piece of wana be airsoft garbage. Made by some unknown company in Turkey. Basically a dressed up semi auto shogut to appeal to the AR obsessed masses.

Alas some time has passed and the hype for Saiga has gone down some and I had reconsidered buying one lately. Then I also weighed in the option of the Akdal. Since I have read some reviews now on it and the jewls are gone, mil-spec 1919 rail, reliable out of the box, yadda yadda. So, I'm torn between the two.

I can get a saiga for around the $500 to $600 range since the market in now flooded with these things. But there is the chance of a Vodvka special. And that means finding out what the problem is and fixing it for X ammount of money. So in short. The Akdal seems to be uber reliable out of the box feeding every load that's been thrown at it. @$700 it is just about on par with a new saiga with modifications if needed.

I may wait to see what new things come out for the Akdal before I go rushing out and buying a $700 semi auto shout gun. As a few companies are making some thing for them. Firebird industries and tromix already have made some things for them and I hear tony from tromix is making a new lower reciever for the Akdal to take all the AR goodies like grips and stocks.

Time will tell which will be in my closet in the near future.

Got any pictures of your Akdal?
Old 01-19-2012, 01:28 AM
Chains keep us together.

Thanked 49,594 Times in 16,329 Posts

yeah, would like to see whats under the forearms and a pic the bolt group would be nice too.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:45 PM
This is a great survival forum

Here ya go rover. They seem pretty simple. Not a whol lot of moving parts.