Has anyone had first hand experience with looters - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whats Your First Hand Experience with Condiment Shelf Life? Countbad Food and water 48 09-04-2016 07:56 AM
Zastava CZ999 - Any first-hand experience? tAKticool Pistol and Revolver Forum 7 08-01-2016 12:06 AM
Anyone have first-hand experience with Rock Island 1911's ? MIL-DOT Firearms General Discussion 44 05-10-2014 06:12 PM
Hybrid Solar Flashlight - First hand experience Dante Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 12 06-06-2013 12:48 AM
Looters? Dragunov Manmade and Natural Disasters 29 08-25-2011 04:16 PM
New Video of looters Woodlife Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 115 07-11-2011 11:39 AM
anybody have first hand experience with mojo sights xm193 Rifle Forum 4 10-25-2010 02:17 PM
Looters natethegreat Urban Survival 89 04-14-2010 08:00 PM
Bad experience in my first attempt at acquiring a hand gun thedan Firearms General Discussion 106 04-02-2010 07:57 PM

Old 09-13-2011, 01:25 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,018 Times in 1,044 Posts
Default Has anyone had first hand experience with looters

Advertise Here

Good afternoon. To solve a workplace debate factually, has anyone had first hand experience with looters? If so would you mind sharing?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to AmericanPatriot121 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2011, 02:44 PM

As in 'first hand' I assume you mean walking into them?

I haven't had a 'run in' with looters, but there was plenty of looter activity during hurricanes katrina, Ike, and Gustav. What was the debate about? If you specify, I'm sure those with first hand knowledge will be able to help you out a bit more.

Here's a good interview that talks about crime during an economic collapse in general. It touches a bit upon looters. Though it's an hour long you'll find it very useful.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:45 PM
Prepared Firebird

Thanked 10,037 Times in 2,811 Posts

Gee. I never had any jobs where my employer was willing to pay me to amuse myself on the internet, instead of doing the job I was being paid to do. Does your company have any job openings?? I think I could do this. LOL

In answer to your question......yes, I have personal experience with looters and raiders. I (and my young children) came within an eyeblink of being killed.

NO, I do not care to discuss it with you and your co-workers for entertainment.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LadyFenix For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2011, 02:47 PM
Firefighter 129

My grocery store was robbed many times. But looted no. I am thankful too. There are a lot of people here that are retired. I think we are pretty prepared if it does roll like that here. Our fire department is good about making sure we are trained to handle mass situations.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Ooh, pancakes!

Thanked 5,428 Times in 1,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFenix View Post
In answer to your question......yes, I have personal experience with looters and raiders. I (and my young children) came within an eyeblink of being killed.

Then why bring it up? What makes you think the OP was interested in "entertainment"? He is trying to settle a discussion and learn something in the process.

Sorry you had a bad experience, but you don't have to be rude about it.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:

So why even post?
Old 09-13-2011, 03:03 PM
Limpin to safety.

Thanked 17,081 Times in 4,605 Posts

Some guys ripped the copper out of my moms old home. Completely destroyed it.

They were caught but the police even screwed that up. A lot of nothing happened to them.

Criminals self justify why they do what they do.

A home empty, is "abandoned" thus ripe for the picking.

Never mind the person who worked 30 years to pay for it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Crutch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Limpin to safety.

Thanked 17,081 Times in 4,605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
So why even post?
She wants you to get back to work.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Crutch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2011, 03:33 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokitheScot View Post
As in 'first hand' I assume you mean walking into them?

I haven't had a 'run in' with looters, but there was plenty of looter activity during hurricanes katrina, Ike, and Gustav. What was the debate about? If you specify, I'm sure those with first hand knowledge will be able to help you out a bit more.

Debate was about (my position) looters have to be a factor in any survival situation/disaster (their position) looting doesn't occur and the media overplays it when it on rare occassions happens.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:37 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Gee. I never had any jobs where my employer was willing to pay me to amuse myself on the internet, instead of doing the job I was being paid to do. Does your company have any job openings?? I think I could do this. LOL

You assume we were discussing this on company time instead of lunch time. If you do not care to discuss why waste everyones time responding lol.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AmericanPatriot121 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crutch View Post
She wants you to get back to work.
I am fortunate that my company allows us to work from home everyday and remote into the servers and workstations. I knew the issue was coming up so I stopped by the office to participate in person, other than that I have my office in my home and I work from there everyday.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:50 PM
I sell US Military MRE's

Thanked 8,635 Times in 3,292 Posts

I experienced the Rodney King riots first hand. Anyone who thinks looting is a rarity are extrememely nieve... no stupid. Happens at most all disasters.... except for Japan because they have a strong culture.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NHP1127 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2011, 04:19 PM
Nadafinga!!

Thanked 4,788 Times in 1,669 Posts

Yes I have. Not as a civilian, but as a National Guardsman. Generally, they were petty criminals just trying to take advantage of the situation. None of the ones I came in contact with were violent, and all gave up very quickly. They all had a story to tell while sitting on the curb wearing flex cuffs, waiting for local LEO's to swing by and do the paperwork and take them away.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AtticusFinch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2011, 04:25 PM
Prepared Firebird

Thanked 10,037 Times in 2,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMorden View Post
Then why bring it up? What makes you think the OP was interested in "entertainment"? He is trying to settle a discussion and learn something in the process.

Sorry you had a bad experience, but you don't have to be rude about it.

I didn't "bring the subject up". The OP did. So, please direct your criticism where it belongs.

No one "learns" about looting or raiders by reading about those events on a message board. You LEARN the hard way by actually experiencing it for yourself. Which I sincerely hope never happens to anyone else.

Why did I respond?? Because there are far too many of these posts on this board from people who want to entertain themselves by reading about tragedies that have happened to others. Life isn't a book or a movie. And, what is rude and insulting is expecting someone else to detail their bad experiences.

There are good reasons "why" military vets, or others who have had horrific life experiences, DO NOT want to discuss what happened to them. But that is largely ignored on this board by some people who think their curiosity takes precedence over basic consideration for others.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LadyFenix For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2011, 04:43 PM
Recent Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtticusFinch View Post
Yes I have. Not as a civilian, but as a National Guardsman. Generally, they were petty criminals just trying to take advantage of the situation. None of the ones I came in contact with were violent, and all gave up very quickly. They all had a story to tell while sitting on the curb wearing flex cuffs, waiting for local LEO's to swing by and do the paperwork and take them away.
Thank you for reporting your first hand experience. The looters were pretty much what I'd expected; small time criminals with a built in excuse replayed to arresting officers so many times it's on speed dial in their minds.

As a semi-pro newspaper photographer I was once in on an arrest of a similar person. Fleeing the scene of his armed robbery the crook was running up a hill when he stopped to take a pot shot with his small caliber handgun at pursuing officers, big mistake.

Responding officers replying with .38 caliber handguns hit him in the foot. All the way to the ambulance the crook was whining about being hungry and asking arresting officers "Ain't you never been hungry?" This from a crook on a gurney wearing a $300 three piece suit and wearing genuine alligator shoes!

Last edited by DesertDave; 09-13-2011 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: removed excess verbage
The Following User Says Thank You to DesertDave For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,605 Times in 1,350 Posts

I have first hand experience in this area. It is still very difficult for me to discuss, even with my husband.

I think what you need to know is this: the media tends to feed into its audience's expectations. When I lived in Florida, looting was greatly *under* reported in my experience. Disney and other large employers in the area have enormous influence with the media. They don't want bad publicity that would affect tourism.

Looting is awful beyond words, but it is a reality. Prepare for it as best you can.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ShaynaGirl For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2011, 05:24 PM
Prepared

Have a good 4 battery mag light. I know of one person who shone it at "about to be looters" and they left. I'm sure it doesn't work with all potential looters but it did with them.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,870 Times in 1,705 Posts

Quote:

I didn't "bring the subject up". The OP did. So, please direct your criticism where it belongs.

No one "learns" about looting or raiders by reading about those events on a message board. You LEARN the hard way by actually experiencing it for yourself. Which I sincerely hope never happens to anyone else.

Why did I respond?? Because there are far too many of these posts on this board from people who want to entertain themselves by reading about tragedies that have happened to others. Life isn't a book or a movie. And, what is rude and insulting is expecting someone else to detail their bad experiences.

There are good reasons "why" military vets, or others who have had horrific life experiences, DO NOT want to discuss what happened to them. But that is largely ignored on this board by some people who think their curiosity takes precedence over basic consideration for others.
First, the OP may have asked, but saying "I have but I'm not going to tell you" does little but derail the topic.

Second, plenty is learned by people sharing experiences. The whole point of Survivalist Boards is for people to share experiences and knowledge. You can't prepare if you don't know what to expect.

Third, people aren't asking because they like the thrill of hearing someones pain. They want to know to have that knowledge. Many vets don't talk about their experiences, but many do. Everyone handles pain differently. From the way you're responding, it sounds like you're still carrying a lot of the pain over this incident. Perhaps you should consider talking to a professional about that.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Pragmatist For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Is that all?

I didn't witness it first hand, but about 2 years ago, some a**hole methed out losers broke into the fire station I worked at. Since we were wildland firefighters, we were gone 14-21 days at a time. They stole literally everything, MREs, pulaskis, chainsaws, pumps, our personal stuff such as laptops, Ipods, and even old nasty PT gear. They then proceeded to destroy the wall of souvenirs we had spent 5 fire seasons collecting from various fires. Then, they pulled our personal stuff out of lockers, and urinated all over it. To top it off, they unlocked, or broke windows on 4 or 5 personal vehicles, and crashed a few, and stole 2. Fortunately, they were all caught, and the "ringleader" got 8 years. The community was awesome, the local structural department held a fundraiser, and made enough to get all of us a couple hundred dollars a piece to replace lost stuff. Lots of people might steal out of necessity, or convenience, but I think it definitely is a different breed that will very openly, boldly, and even violently go about getting what they think they can take. I have very little trouble believing that some people are animals, and all it takes it is a percieved relaxing of the rules for them to go all out.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AK15-T For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2011, 06:05 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,878 Times in 645 Posts

Our local Gun club was broken into about 10 years ago, looted, vandalized, and then set ablaze.

They didn't get too much worth of anything,, maybe some bottles of booze, but no money or anything else of value. We lost our clubhouse, and it took us about 5 years to completly rebuild it.

They purposely burned the our American Flag.

They were never caught, although we believe it was just neighborhood kids causing trouble.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueHarvest76 For This Useful Post: