This example is exactly why I hate Glocks - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
$300 Glocks Nomad, 2nd Pistol and Revolver Forum 8 02-07-2014 03:14 PM
No more Glocks for me! Robot Firearms General Discussion 54 10-01-2012 06:59 AM
FDE Glocks Icculus Pistol and Revolver Forum 7 04-07-2012 07:08 PM
These are not Glocks... drobs Pistol and Revolver Forum 107 05-12-2011 11:04 AM
Glocks? CZDiesel Pistol and Revolver Forum 131 07-23-2010 06:30 PM
Glocks for the EPA? WTF For! Ophir Political News and Discussion 25 07-20-2010 04:18 PM
Out of Glocks Herd Sniper Pistol and Revolver Forum 20 06-01-2009 10:06 PM
I don't like GLOCKS. alaskadeckhand Pistol and Revolver Forum 175 01-27-2009 12:10 PM
Glocks, How Many can you own before... kajunman1 Jokes, Humor & Music 5 01-11-2009 04:43 PM
Along the lines of the products you hate/what not to buy, is there a filter you hate? RubberChickenGirl Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 11 12-13-2008 05:47 PM

Old 04-30-2011, 02:45 PM
أنا واحد حذر والدتك لك عن

Thanked 11,979 Times in 4,068 Posts
Default This example is exactly why I hate Glocks

Advertise Here

First of all I would to point out I know a Glock is a fine weapon and are loved by many. I have owned one and I owned it for a while and but I hated it. for more than one reason. It was however very accurate and tough. But they are not for me.the biggest reason is the lack of a safety switch. Folks this is why they make different kinds of guns. Now the link I'm going to provide below is of man carrying a concealed weapon. While twisting to put his seat belt on, his Glock with 3 safeties built into the trigger discharged while it was in its holster. Now I know there are many trained soldiers on this thread that also swear by Glock. They are thinking what a dumb civilian. It was the holsters fault.

I have had the privileged of working with many direct action operators in joint special operations units. I have personally witnessed a Navy Seal do the exact same thing well sorta. What he did was just dumb. But we expect that from our Navy brothers. That is why they invented the Marine Corps in the first place. To protect them from themselves lol Anyhow.

I want all of my firearms to have a switch where you can turn it off. Now I know safeties can be accidentally switched off. I prefer the old M1911. I always will. One of the reason's is the grip safety and the other is that it has a safety switch. Here's the link to the guy with the Block

http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/fi...al-discharges/
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2011, 02:56 PM
American fearmaker

Thanked 27,641 Times in 8,874 Posts

A Glock just does not discharge without a reason or somebody pulling the trigger. Did your Navy SEAL have it in the correct holster or did he have it just stuffed into the first one he could find? Was his gear in good working order or was he a raggedy operator? Had his Glock been improperly modified or "honed?" Some of these special ops clowns just "gotta tune their pieces" to the point of dangerous and stupid. I've seen SWAT cops with 1911s that were tuned to the point that we had to have them remove their guns from the range because they were so unsafe. That pretty much sounds just like what you've described... Note I am asking about the SEAL and not what was pictured in your article. The guy in that article should of had his Glock secured in the belt slide with a strap over the top of the pistol.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Herd Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2011, 02:59 PM
The Maker

Thanked 2,389 Times in 1,043 Posts

Ok. some guy puts his gun in his holster wrong, without checking to make sure it was all the way in, snags it on his trigger, and that is Glocks fault for not having a manual safety to manipulate? your best safety is located between your ears. i know a guy that has a 1911 and did the same thing with it, except he shot himself in the chest because it was a shoulder rig not a hip holster. this man is lucky. and hopefully he wises up and starts carring his weapon responsibly.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to walcott For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2011, 03:07 PM
Experiment 626

Thanked 3,304 Times in 1,286 Posts

Yeah, looks to me like he was using a holster that was so worn out that it became flimsy, and it also looks like it was not even the right sized holster for that gun. Can't blame the Glock for that one. It's just like the guys who shove it in their waist band without a holster!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to robbiec For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2011, 04:01 PM
أنا واحد حذر والدتك لك عن

Thanked 11,979 Times in 4,068 Posts

I couldn't agree more with all of you gentlemen. None of these examples is the fault of the tool. HA HA well not the weapon anyhow. It's all about preference. The scary part though is we are around some of these tools with these tools in their hands.

The Idiot I was referring to modified his holster for some reason.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to firstforcerecon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2011, 06:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,358 Times in 1,396 Posts

Not a real Glock fan here, but I admire the inherent reliability, etc. I do own a "clone" and it will simply not fire without pulling the trigger unless something is badly wrong somewhere.

Safety's are OK except the bubba-type they put on Chikom Toks. The half-cock is perfectly functional for anybody with the brains to know how the gun works.

Glocks have to be the most idiot-proof design ever, but some idiots are better at what they do than others, so you never know.
The Following User Says Thank You to sandline For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2011, 06:32 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 4,106 Times in 1,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandline View Post
Glocks have to be the most idiot-proof design ever, but some idiots are better at what they do than others, so you never know.
Don't every try to make something "idiot proof". They'll just come out with a bigger idiot.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:49 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 9,305 Times in 4,625 Posts

Sorry firstforce. Didn't ya know that Glocks are revered like the Lord our Saviour here?
Old 04-30-2011, 07:17 PM
I love this forum

I own both a Glock and a Springfield XD and I prefer to carry the XD because of the 1911 style grip safety. I feel comfortable with my Glock 19 just not for a ccw.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 20,075 Times in 8,539 Posts

Gentlemen, the safety issue is moot. The SAS carried the P.35 Browning for many years cocked and unlocked, and had no problems with ADs. The Glock, having a similar manual of arms with no option for a safety beyond the tiny lever on the face of the trigger, has a less pristine safety record, though I submit that many of the instances on record can be tracked back to operator error.

It is all a matter of training, self-discipline and the manner of use and carry of the arm. I am not a Glockophile, nor a Glockophobe. It is a reliable and accurate arm, within the limits of its design and chambering, and it handles the duties expected of it competently in the hands of a competent operator.

Were I to go back into harm's way, unlikely in view of my advanced years, I would carry a .40 Glock with no worries at all, or a .45 ACP 1911, probably in Commander length and frame weight. It ain't the gun, folks.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2011, 07:30 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 13,026 Times in 5,434 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

firstforcerecon great post, thanks for the reminder to check our choice in gear once in a while to insure everything is working like it should, a good holster is designed to prevent a discharge while carrying no matter the weapon, it's common sense safety, nobody wants to shoot themselves in the ass.
he'll never use that particular style galco holster again.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:45 PM
To the surface!

Thanked 9,028 Times in 3,649 Posts

The only negligent discharge I ever witnessed was a compact 1911 clone (Star PD) which had a safety - the person handling the gun had previously handled it when it was unloaded, handed it back to the owner who then proceeded to reload it (including chambering a round) and then set it down. The handler then picked it up, pointed it at a wall and pulled the trigger without checking to see if it was unloaded again.

The best safety is that one between your ears. A defective holster could have swiped a safety off safe as easily as it could depress a trigger. If you don't like a Glock then don't get one. If you want a Glock to be more "safe" than what it mechanically provides and "want to turn it off", don't chamber a round.

Most people who carry a handgun concealed probably don't really need to carry one, and even less likely to need to carry one with a cartridge in the chamber - they would do just as well with the chamber unloaded. That is the way I carry a Glock unless I am going into a situation where I think I may need to use it (that has been about twice since I bought mine over 20 years ago). A Glock with a cartridge in the chamber is somewhere between Condition One and Condition Zero, generally not what most people need.

YMMV, especially if you are LEO or someone who puts themselves in more danger than the typical civilian does in their day to day routine. I generally don't carry a handgun on my person - I just don't feel the need currently. There was a time about 2 years ago when I had a job in downtown Seattle where I sometimes wished I could carry, but most employers don't allow you to have a gun in the workplace. I have since turned down jobs in downtown Seattle - I don't like the commute and I don't like the environment.

My Glock resides in the headboard of my bed, unloaded and the magazine out of the gun. I started doing that when I realized that my sleep problems could easily result in me grabbing the gun and shooting it before I was fully awake.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Heretic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2011, 11:52 PM
Veritas Aequitas

Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,026 Posts

Yeah, and 1911s never have accidental discharges.

I once had an NRA instructor tell me there are more negligent discharges with shotguns than any other type of firearm...despite the fact they have manual safeties.

Also have to wonder why nobody makes this argument when it comes to DA revolvers. In fact, a lot of people would consider the revolver to be one of the safest and most reliable firearms ever invented. And in this case NO safety...

At any rate, the safety is between your ears. Guns don't just "go off" on their own. That guy should have gotten a new holster about 3 years ago.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skyjump136 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2011, 12:23 AM

I own both a Glock and an old 1911. I feel alot safer carrying the Glock. I'm not nuts about the safety in the trigger on my finger, I don't like that, but it only gets to me after 100 rounds in one setting. Bottom line is they are tools. If you practice, train and become familiar with anything from a butterfly knife to an MP5, you have a better edge.

I had an AD with a revolver, I cocked it and it was pointed down range, but the owner never said it had a hair trigger, it just made me twitch a little and I put the slug in the dirt. If you look at the newer holsters, they are hard sided and have a button over where the trigger to get people carrying Glocks used to drawing with out your finger on the trigger.
I prefer a safety switch too, but being a lefty shooter, its sometimes more convenient to train with the weapon as is.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:28 AM
To the surface!

Thanked 9,028 Times in 3,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyjump136 View Post
At any rate, the safety is between your ears. Guns don't just "go off" on their own. That guy should have gotten a new holster about 3 years ago.
Or gotten a more rigid plastic one to start with.

Personally, it never occurred to me that this particular holster malfunction could happen. I have thought about other malfunctions, especially if the trigger was not covered.

I am coming to the point where I don't particularly want a minimal quick draw holster - I want the opposite; a holster that covers the whole handgun, to the point of having a flap over it. I have a military style holster I bought for my Glock:

And I think this is more or less what I am going to get for most of my handguns. It works okay for the military as a general issue holster, the flap can be removed but I like the flap - it keeps the gun secure and keeps crap out of the holster.

I don't think most of us need a "gunfighter" rig - especially not for everyday purposes and probably not for SHTF purposes either. In a SHTF situation, my handgun is going to be a last ditch defense gun and I will probably have the time to draw even from a holster with a flap - I am going to be more worried about not losing my gun or getting crap in the gun when I fall.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Heretic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2011, 01:30 AM

The Glock has 3 safeties, all of which are disengaged when you pull the trigger. What happens when it goes 'bang' and you didn't intend to pull the trigger... can be called an 'accident', but far too many times results in a 'fatality'.

Here's how you fix that... Siderlock - Safety Trigger for Glock

It works similar to the safety on a Remington shotgun... (assuming your right-handed), simply push it left to turn it 'off'... and back to the right to turn it 'on'... it's also 'lefty-friendly' (easily modified by the user at installation).

Here's an animation of it in use... Siderlock - Features

Here's where you can buy it (or rather, here's where I bought mine) - Lone Wolf Distributors

For those of you who 'hate it'... you can leave it switched off until such time (if any) you feel the need for it... or you can simply not buy one, it makes no diff to me.

My person opinion - I wouldn't own a Glock without it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wwwildthing For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2011, 01:49 AM
skogbeskytter

Thanked 1,043 Times in 478 Posts

Wow what a crap holster.....

Never understand people that skimp on holster or use one Way past lifespan.

Glocks have all the safeties they need: Your Brain, finger control and proper quality holster.

Personally I will not Carry a pistol with external safety.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forster For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2011, 02:35 AM
Watching, Waiting....

Thanked 2,551 Times in 854 Posts

Putting an external safety on the Glock for your piece of mind is just a fancy way of saying that you would like to have an external disconnect so that you can be clumsy, absent minded, etc while not suffering from the ill effects. This is not how the real world works. You do not pay attention at all times and it over. No amount of safeties will protect you from your own disregard for safety.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Still here. For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2011, 03:04 AM
Chains keep us together.

Thanked 49,594 Times in 16,329 Posts

I dont know, I like the idea of being able to shove a gun in my pants quickly and not shoot myself. and I like a hammer drop/safety I can see, right under my sights.
Desert Eagle .45

but my daughter likes the Glock, Girls and their conceal carry purses !
Old 05-01-2011, 09:56 AM
This site sucks

Thanked 2,448 Times in 1,128 Posts

You should say this is exactly why I hate worn out, improper fitting holsters. That was his fault not the Glock.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to fire65 For This Useful Post: